Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,759 members, 7,809,925 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? (35619 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:23pm On May 26, 2012
Donbrig: The Edo people don't see themselves as yorubas, but the Edos are the closest to Yorubas in various ways. An Edo man will never betray a Yoruba man to another tribe. A very big part of Edo people's heart belong to the Yorubas. As an Edo man, I can sincerely confirm that the Edos love and cherish the Yoruba people so much, that is why whatever affects them affects us.. And once it comes to politics, both tribes always watch each others back.

My point exactly. Waruese ose mwen, Ivineva e yoruba kevbe edo khin, my brother akugbe o e etin.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by AndreUweh(m): 5:26pm On May 26, 2012
Donbrig: The Edo people don't see themselves as yorubas, but the Edos are the closest to Yorubas in various ways. An Edo man will never betray a Yoruba man to another tribe. A very big part of Edo people's heart belong to the Yorubas. As an Edo man, I can sincerely confirm that the Edos love and cherish the Yoruba people so much, that is why whatever affects them affects us.. And once it comes to politics, both tribes always watch each others back.
Cut your sermon short. Edo people do not see themselves as Yorubas, will never and has never done so.
No sane Edoman will see himself as Yoruba. They are not insane.

3 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by GAR3TH(m): 5:27pm On May 26, 2012
Quiet a silly question, Most if not all edo people see themselves as edo. why will an edo person see themselves as yoruba? its like saying if white people see themselves as blacks. all ethnic group see themselves as their ethnic group not another.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ikachi1: 5:35pm On May 26, 2012
There were about 33 Ogisos kings and a period of interegnum before the first Oba of Benin who happened to be a grand son of Oduduwa who was from Benin according to documented Benin folklore. Although the Yorubas claim that they were existing before the arrival of Oduduwa, there has been no concrete evidence to justify that claim. Igodomigodo as Benin was then known has a rich history dating back to 3rd century AD. Benin kingdom extended past the present day Republic of Benin. Although the present day Republic of Benin was bearing the name Dahomey, they learnt of their true identity hence the change of name to Republic of Benin. One writer rightly identified the origin of the Obaship of Lagos (Eko) and the Oba of Lagos has not denied this. The Bimis founded many kingdoms and the Yorubas might be one of the big ones.

3 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PapaBrowne(m): 5:36pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem:

My point exactly. Waruese ose mwen, Ivineva e yoruba kevbe edo khin, my brother akugbe o e etin.

Alj Harem. You wouldn't get an answer from him because he is a Yoruba man and would not understand your funny connotations!

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by AGBORMAN1(m): 5:36pm On May 26, 2012
mmm
Ika man is watching...........
mmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:39pm On May 26, 2012
PapaBrowne:

Alj Harem. You wouldn't get an answer from him because he is a Yoruba man and would not understand your funny connotations!

I really hope not ! moreover what makes you think he is yoruba ?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:43pm On May 26, 2012
ikachi1: There were about 33 Ogisos kings and a period of interegnum before the first Oba of Benin who happened to be a grand son of Oduduwa who was from Benin according to documented Benin folklore. Although the Yorubas claim that they were existing before the arrival of Oduduwa, there has been no concrete evidence to justify that claim. Igodomigodo as Benin was then known has a rich history dating back to 3rd century AD. Benin kingdom extended past the present day Republic of Benin. Although the present day Republic of Benin was bearing the name Dahomey, they learnt of their true identity hence the change of name to Republic of Benin. One writer rightly identified the origin of the Obaship of Lagos (Eko) and the Oba of Lagos has not denied this. The Bimis founded many kingdoms and the Yorubas might be one of the big ones.

You are joking right ?

Dahomey was an independent kingdom of there own

Dahomey is an Ogu settlement and was never meant until Egbas got there.

Moreover how does one explain the Obaship in Kwara and kogi knowing full well that Benin influence did not get there. smiley
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Donbrig: 5:44pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem:

Uwese ovbiyemwen okpa mahiakhin
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:45pm On May 26, 2012
Donbrig:

Uwese ovbiyemwen okpa mahiakhin

Thank you my brother, i kponmwen we
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:47pm On May 26, 2012
ikachi, my brother I am waiting for an explanation of the Obaship in Kwara and co
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:51pm On May 26, 2012
Moreover Ikachi here is dahomey, just to confirm with I was saying about the Oyo, Dahomey and Benin

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh6d6yOqjauTm_cDREI-TbXvq47QvRS3LxsiGy2DQz0TY8b9VGew[/img]

You can clearly see that Phase 2 of the Oyo empire did not even get to Lagos

Ondo and Ekiti were in Benin empire.

Lagos, part dahomey and part "Bini"
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by herquleez(m): 5:53pm On May 26, 2012
History and arguments aside, the reality today is that we the Edo people see ourselves as unique and not as past of some other tribe.

That said, the Edos are rather closer to Yoruba people than any other tribe, not evn the ibos.

The funny thing there is that Ibos claim Edo as part of Biafra and Yorubas claim Edo as part of thr lineage. And I think this shows a lot in the way persons from these tribes treat Edo people. I'm a living witness myself; I feel welcome when I'm with Yoruba people and of course the Ibos too, but definitely not out boko haram brothers in the north who would rather butcher anything from the south.

Bottomline, Edo people are loveable people and we don't mind being desired. Just don't distort our rich history.

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 26, 2012
It's funny how threads like this about Yoruba are created by igbo posters (obiagu1) - and most of the clowns who troll, and post dumb comments on the same thread are igbos... You guys are inbred with tribalism, and hatred for Yoruba people..

When has Yoruba people ever claimed any minority group?? We don't even claim Yoruboid groups like Ilajes, and itsekiris in Delta - yet, an Igbo poster deem it right to open an idiotic thread to ask a silly question..We don't even claim Yoruba subgroups in both Kwara, and Kogi states - the OP, and Obiagu1 need to get a life.. Worry about igboid groups denying their ancestry, and leave Yoruba people alone..

Keep writing letters to Ikwerre people begging to claim igbo ancestry, clowns - and keep Yoruba out of your mouth.. What do Edo people have that's beneficial to Yoruba anyways.. We may share the same ancestry, but we're different people..

3 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 5:56pm On May 26, 2012
shymmex: It's funny how threads like this about Yoruba are created by igbo posters (obiagu1) - and most of the clowns who troll, and post dumb comments on the same thread are igbos... You guys are inbred with tribalism, and hatred for Yoruba people..

When has Yoruba people ever claimed any minority group?? We don't even claim Yoruboid groups like Ilajes, and itsekiris in Delta - yet, an Igbo poster deem it right to open an idiotic thread to ask a silly question..We don't even claim Yoruba subgroups in both Kwara, and Kogi states - the OP, and Obiagu1 need to get a life.. Worry about igboid groups denying their ancestry, and leave Yoruba people alone..

Keep writing letters to Ikwerre people begging to claim igbo ancestry, clowns - and keep Yoruba out of your mouth.. What do Edo people have that's beneficial to Yoruba anyways.. We may share the same ancestry, but we're different people..

Gbammm you have said it all.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ikachi1: 5:58pm On May 26, 2012
According to Bini folklore, Izoduwa was a Bini Chief who abhorred injustice and had the courage to criticize an Ogisos who ordered that he should be led into the forest and killed. The executioners who were sent to do the job knew he was right and decided to spare him by slaughtering a goat and staining their marchets with goat blood as a proof. They warned the said Izoduwa never to say where he came from because the then Ogiso would definitely execute them when he learns that Izoduwa was spared. This is the origin of the claim by Oduduwa that he climbed down a chain from the sky. The people believed him.

Later in life when the last Ogiso Ogiamen was deposed, Bini was without a viable leader and they were exposed to attack within and outside the kingdom. They elected to have another king but not the Ogisos again. This was when they learned that Izoduwa was not actually killed as alleged but was living someplace else and has formed a prospering kingdom. When they got to Ile ife where he had established his base, he recognized them and welcomed them. They demanded that he followed them to be their king. This request was turned down and he opted to send his son Oranmiyan to be their king. The said Oranmiyan was not familiar with the culture of the Binis and found it difficult to rule. This same Oranmiyan gave the present name Ile iibinu which was corrupted to Bini. He decided that a person born and brought up in Bini land and familiar with their culture was what they needed. The son he had with a Bini woman became the first Oba. Oba Eweka the first.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Afam4eva(m): 5:59pm On May 26, 2012
I need to correct a misconception that a lot of people have about Edo. Edo is not a tribe or an ethnic group. It is a state made up of different ethnicities, some of which are related. So, people like the OP should be specific about the part od edo state that they're referring to as someone from Igbanke will find it highly insultive to refer to him as a Yoruba person.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:01pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem:

I suppose. The monarchical topic should indeed be a separate one. One of which I am very much interested in because there should be an explanation for the name Oba in the title of the King

A bigger question is why no Edo anywhere had ever heard of an Ooni prior to British colonization but had a very specific title for the king at Ife that could easily morph into 'Ooni' in a place where certain consonants are eliminated by the people, but the title itself is not derivative of a non Edoid word. This is something that still has not been resolved by professional historians. It's funny how people note that the Bini could pronounce numerous Yoruba words but suddenly imagine that they could not pronounce the correct name of the king at Ife at any time without any kind of linguistic argument or analysis for this claim.

Anyway, however many religious and political ties the Edo and Yoruba do share, I still think this topic is misguided.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by AndreUweh(m): 6:05pm On May 26, 2012
shymmex: It's funny how threads like this about Yoruba are created by igbo posters (obiagu1) - and most of the clowns who troll, and post dumb comments on the same thread are igbos... You guys are inbred with tribalism, and hatred for Yoruba people..

This is bvery very irrelevant.
Stick to the topic and do not derail.
The letter you are refering to was written by an Ikwerreman to his Ikwerre organisation.
Thogh you did say Yoruba is different from Edo, but I want you to say that Edos do not see themselvesw as Yorubas. Even third generation Edo people born in Yorubaland do not see themselves as Yorubas. What an abomination.

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 26, 2012
Some idiotic posters are even claiming that ibini empire extended to dahomey, funny clowns.. The bini empire stopped where it's today.. Bini NEVER in their history conquered the IJEBUS - so, how the phuck did they get to Dahomey then?? Did they fly over our heads like the ogisio (or whatever they are called)? Binin history is overrated IMHO.. And the EKo thing is only limited to Lagos Island (EKO) - please other parts of the Island in Lagos were NEVER under Bini.. I'm from EPE and bini people NEVER ruled over waterside Ijebu people.. Bini history is overrated, period.

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 6:09pm On May 26, 2012
PapaBrowne: How on earth can we see ourselves as Yorubas?? Where do you live?? Why are Yorubas so love struck with the Binis?? Its a goods thing though! We love you back.

First, Edos have a well documented history and culture that dates back to the 9th century. Well documented I said.
Secondly, Edo is a forbear of various ethnic groups both in the country and outside. These groups have their history and ancestory tied to the EDO heritage. From Uhrobos to Itsekiris to Isokos in the south all the way to Lagos in the west. Interestingly, the whole of Lagos traditional rulership was set up by the Binis. The word Eko is a Bini word. Ever wonder why it is called the Oba of Lagos?
While I wouldn't want to argue history here I would just tell you to judge between these two accounts

Yorubas say Oduduwa fell from heaven.
Edos say Oduduwa was the son of of an Ogiso whose name is Izoduwa(bini word) who was banished from the kingdom. The Benin account is very detailed and laced with real and practical stories and names. The Yoruba account is mere Floklore. Judge for yourself which is right.

The question should be whether the Yorubas see themselves as Edos and not the other way round. And I believe the answer is yes, which is why Yorubas have this love affinity with everything Bini.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Ugoduru(m): 6:12pm On May 26, 2012
Both igbo and yoruba
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 6:16pm On May 26, 2012
We don't claim bini people, we don't need them, and they have nothing to offer us..

Igbo poster, stop opening these types of silly threads..

Yeah, bini ruled over Lagos Island (Eko) - good luck to them.. But that's not even upto 1/2000th of Lagos state.. You guys need to stop disrespecting us Lagos indigenes who are not from 'Eko'.. Bini NEVER ruled us! We are war like people, and merchants - and I doubt bini would have defeated us..

This thread is worthless!
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PapaBrowne(m): 6:22pm On May 26, 2012
shymmex: Some idiotic posters are even claiming that ibini empire extended to dahomey, funny clowns.. The bini empire stopped where it's today.. Bini NEVER in their history conquered the IJEBUS - so, how the phuck did they get to Dahomey then?? Did they fly over our heads like the ogisio (or whatever they are called)? Binin history is overrated IMHO.. And the EKo thing is only limited to Lagos Island (EKO) - please other parts of the Island in Lagos were NEVER under Bini.. I'm from EPE and bini people NEVER ruled over waterside Ijebu people.. Bini history is overrated, period.

You are very funny. You are looking at historical facts from the perspective of today's motorways!! And who said the road to Dahomey in them days was thru Ijebuland! Eko is closer to Dahomey than Ijebu is. So How did they get to Eko??

Benin history, overrated or not, is the most outstanding compilation of historical events in all of Sub-Saharan Africa. While other tribes including the Yorubas were limited to Oral history which is usually replete with folklore, the Binis documented their history for centuries and all of that is still available for your perusal. A 1000 year history that replete with specific names, actions, locations, events and much more!! You can call it overrated in comparison to others that passed down fables and folklore as evidence of their history.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tribalism(m): 6:27pm On May 26, 2012
the people of the mid west would willingly submit to the use of nuclear weapons, devastating bombs or machine guns to annihilate them rather than remain in a self governing west. [West African Pilot, July, 14 1957]. extract from battle for the creation of midwestern nigeria.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ikachi1: 6:29pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem: ikachi, my brother I am waiting for an explanation of the Obaship in Kwara and co

From my explanation of Bini link with the Yorubas, you can decide by yourself. If the obaship in Kwara and Kogi are Yoruba linked, you have the answer already. Even within the Yorubas, there were and still there are many kingdoms. This does not exclude them from being Yorubas. I read in one of the dailies long time ago during the chairmanship of the council of Obaship tussle in Yoruba land where the Owa Obokun of Ijesha land even claimed not to be from Ofuduwa's line. Where are they from and how did they get the name Oba? The fist known Oba happened to be a Bini. Oduduwa was not called an Oba was he? Neither was Oranmiyan who was said to be the first Alafin?

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Afam4eva(m): 6:35pm On May 26, 2012
PapaBrowne:

You are very funny. You are looking at historical facts from the perspective of today's motorways!! And who said the road to Dahomey in them days was thru Ijebuland! Eko is closer to Dahomey than Ijebu is. So How did they get to Eko??

Benin history, overrated or not, is the most outstanding compilation of historical events in all of Sub-Saharan Africa. While other tribes including the Yorubas were limited to Oral history which is usually replete with folklore, the Binis documented their history for centuries and all of that is still available for your perusal. A 1000 year history that replete with specific names, actions, locations, events and much more!! You can call it overrated in comparison to others that passed down fables and folklore as evidence of their history.
+1000
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 6:35pm On May 26, 2012
ikachi1:

From my explanation of Bini link with the Yorubas, you can decide by yourself. If the obaship in Kwara and Kogi are Yoruba linked, you have the answer already. Even within the Yorubas, there were and still there are many kingdoms. This does not exclude them from being Yorubas. I read in one of the dailies long time ago during the chairmanship of the council of Obaship tussle in Yoruba land where the Owa Obokun of Ijesha land even claimed not to be from Ofuduwa's line. Where are they from and how did they get the name Oba? The fist known Oba happened to be a Bibi. Oduduwa was not called an Oba was he? Neither was Oranmiyan who was said to be the first Alafin?

very correct, it seems like you understand yoruba history very well.

Therefore it is safe to say that that Yoruba history from Edo point of view is that of Ile ife right or wrong ?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 26, 2012
PapaBrowne:

Bini history is overrated, and will always overrated till you tell me why you guys buried your oba heads in ile ife...

Where did bini empire start and end?? Yoruba on the other hand extended to far away ghana...

Even Yoruba bronzes were called the lost arts of atlantis.. Bini can never be compared to Yoruba.. Your olokun worship is from yoruboid groups..

Just leave this topic, plz..
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PeterKbaba: 6:39pm On May 26, 2012
YOU WONDER WHY YORUBAS ARE SO RESPECTED IN THE WORLD... YORUBA IS NOT A LANGUAGE, BUT A RELIGION, EVEN THE POPE AND ALL RELIGION LEADERS WERE SITED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYi7XcmzAUc&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oye-hUO5bNU&feature=related
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:44pm On May 26, 2012
shymmex: Some idiotic posters are even claiming that ibini empire extended to dahomey, funny clowns.. The bini empire stopped where it's today.. Bini NEVER in their history conquered the IJEBUS - so, how the phuck did they get to Dahomey then?? Did they fly over our heads like the ogisio (or whatever they are called)? Binin history is overrated IMHO.. And the EKo thing is only limited to Lagos Island (EKO) - please other parts of the Island in Lagos were NEVER under Bini.. I'm from EPE and bini people NEVER ruled over waterside Ijebu people.. Bini history is overrated, period.

Look I'm not going to rehash this same argument with you again, but there are contemporary documents from centuries back and oral history and even some art that suggests very strongly that Benin at one time conquered Ijebu, but they were free of Benin's political hold by the mid 17th century. I gave you scholarly sources last time and you obviously looked at none of them. I'm not going to re-argue this since anyone who wants to can read about it from various non-Bini sources.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by mimifonwon(f): 6:44pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem: Papabrown, Edo Bini history is not free from folktale etc. Ogiso dynasty which I heard is the greatest dynasty is no different from Oduduwa dynanty. If I remember correctly Ogiso are people that fell from the sky.

Also another fallacy is the fact is it ogiso or something that gave birth to Itsekiri, Ijaw, yoruba etc Sorry sir I for one don't believe that.

Lastly Eko means war camp in Bini while in Yoruba it means farmland

Different people with different way of viewing things. Anthony Oladeji Enahoro was Esan

All Obas of bini have yorubiod names

Pre-Imperial Obas of Benin (1180-1440)
The dates of reigns of these early kings are highly uncertain.[1]
Eweka I (1180–1246) owo mi/we ka (he could not speak and the first word he said at age 7 or 9 which ever one was Owo we ka meaning I can speak now or I understand it now)

This was your first king after Ogiso dynasty isn't it right ? Now what does Eweka mean in edo ?

Even Oba Erediauwa aka which we call Oduduwa

How can a larger empire spanning through 3 different countries come from Edo ? It is totally illogical

Lastly but not the least, All this edo are yoruba or not starting to bore me.

My great grandfather had a saying which is- because man is not God, he would tell every version of a story that best fits his agenda and glorifies him. My paternal great grandfather always said that some people believed that the ethnic group known as yoruba today was a mixture of hausa and edo people. I remember i met a an edo boy with the an igbo sounding last name and a yoruba sounding first name and i immediately thought he was a mixture of both until he told me he was esan. I was like what, you lying, your mother must have lied to you, but i have come to notice that yorubas and edo people are like faternal twins, they are of same father and mother, but just have a few differences, especially in the language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Ogunwusi’s Pre-Coronation Photoshoot / Fulani Siddika Sanusi Rides On Horse To Her Husband's House In Style / The Future Of African Traditional Religion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.