Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? (35705 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tosank: 9:36am On May 26, 2012
Edo (Bini) People: Do You See Yourselves As Yoruba?

The Edos aka Binis are beautiful people. I understand the mainstream Yoruba share a lot with the Edo (Bini) in history, culture and even language. I wana ask if Edos (Binis) truly see themselves as Yoruba, and what percentage speak the mother Yoruba tongue, even if it is a second language.

3 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Beaf: 9:41am On May 26, 2012
Another funny thread.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Funkymallam(m): 9:51am On May 26, 2012
lipsrsealed undecided grin
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ACM10: 9:53am On May 26, 2012
This topic has been thrashed exhaustively in one thread last year originated by Obiagu
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tosank: 11:26am On May 26, 2012
Please answer the question. I started the thread because I wanna know.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PapaBrowne(m): 12:05pm On May 26, 2012
How on earth can we see ourselves as Yorubas?? Where do you live?? Why are Yorubas so love struck with the Binis?? Its a good thing though! We love you back.

First, Edos have a well documented history and culture that dates back to the 9th century. Well documented I said.
Secondly, Edo is a forbear of various ethnic groups both in the country and outside. These groups have their history and ancestory tied to the EDO heritage. From Uhrobos to Itsekiris to Isokos in the south all the way to Lagos in the west. Interestingly, the whole of Lagos traditional rulership was set up by the Binis. The word Eko is a Bini word. Ever wonder why it is called the Oba of Lagos?
While I wouldn't want to argue history here I would just tell you to judge between these two accounts

Yorubas say Oduduwa fell from heaven.
Edos say Oduduwa was the son of of an Ogiso whose name is Izoduwa(bini word) who was banished from the kingdom. The Benin account is very detailed and laced with real and practical stories and names. The Yoruba account is mere Folklore. Judge for yourself which is right.

The question should be whether the Yorubas see themselves as Edos and not the other way round. And I believe the answer is yes, which is why Yorubas have this love affinity with everything Bini.

To be fair and truthful , there is a lot of commonalities between both tribes.

17 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by adino(m): 12:32pm On May 26, 2012
What is wrong with Nigerians these days, it is very funny most people do not know their history in this country. Papa Brown have said it all. But I will repeat my post in a similar thread below.

I dont know why people refuse to learn and know the truth. The Benin have documented and verified traditional history while the Yorubas have only oral history which is not verified though. The Oba of Benin never leaves Benin Empire, but this present Oba some few years back visited Lagos and some few yoruba traditional cities and in the presence of the ooni of Ife, Oba of Lagos and other Yoruba manarchs, The Benin Oba lectured them about the origin of Ife (which was founded by a Benin Prince one Ekalendiran or so) if all Yoruba monarch to this day has refused to deny this fact, I wonder where nairaland yorubas get their fact.
Dont forget the yorubas have more than one version of Oduduwa story(which one them come believe na).
Even today, it is an open secret that before Eyo festival in Lagos Island is done, there must be certain things that must be obtained from Benin. Do not forget that the original Eyo juju was brought from Benin and the name EKO was given to lagos by a Benin Monarch.

THE TRUTH IS THAT: THE YORUBA'S ANCESTRY IS TRACED FROM BENIN KINGDOM, GBAM!

https://www.nairaland.com/932333/don-t-turn-edo-war#10773396

[size=20pt]Edo has well documented and verified evidence, we are an ancient civilisation.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 12:44pm On May 26, 2012
Papabrown, Edo Bini history is not free from folktale etc. Ogiso dynasty which I heard is the greatest dynasty is no different from Oduduwa dynanty. If I remember correctly Ogiso are people that fell from the sky.

Also another fallacy is the fact is it ogiso or something that gave birth to Itsekiri, Ijaw, yoruba etc Sorry sir I for one don't believe that.

Lastly Eko means war camp in Bini while in Yoruba it means farmland

Different people with different way of viewing things. Anthony Oladeji Enahoro was Esan

All Obas of bini have yorubiod names

Pre-Imperial Obas of Benin (1180-1440)
The dates of reigns of these early kings are highly uncertain.[1]
Eweka I (1180–1246) owo mi/we ka (he could not speak and the first word he said at age 7 or 9 which ever one was Owo we ka meaning I can speak now or I understand it now)

This was your first king after Ogiso dynasty isn't it right ? Now what does Eweka mean in edo ?

Even Oba Erediauwa aka which we call Oduduwa

How can a larger empire spanning through 3 different countries come from Edo ? It is totally illogical

Lastly but not the least, All this edo are yoruba or not starting to bore me.

15 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 12:46pm On May 26, 2012
adino: What is wrong with Nigerians these days, it is very funny most people do not know their history in this country. Papa Brown have said it all. But I will repeat my post in a similar thread below.

[size=20pt]Edo has well documented and verified evidence, we are an ancient civilisation.[/size]

Sir no one is disputing that.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PapaBrowne(m): 1:15pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem: Papabrown, Edo Bini history is not free from folktale etc. Ogiso dynasty which I heard is the greatest dynasty is no different from Oduduwa dynanty. If I remember correctly Ogiso are people that fell from the sky.

Also another fallacy is the fact is it ogiso or something that gave birth to Itsekiri, Ijaw, yoruba etc Sorry sir I for one don't believe that.

Lastly Eko means war camp in Bini while in Yoruba it means farmland

Different people with different way of viewing things. Anthony Oladeji Enahoro was Esan

All Obas of bini have yorubiod names

Pre-Imperial Obas of Benin (1180-1440)

The dates of reigns of these early kings are highly uncertain.[1]
Eweka I (1180–1246) owo mi/we ka (he could not speak and the first word he said at age 7 or 9 which ever one was Owo we ka meaning I can speak now or I understand it now)

This was your first king after Ogiso dynasty isn't it right ? Now what does Eweka mean in edo ?

Even Oba Erediauwa aka which we call Oduduwa

How can a larger empire spanning through 3 different countries come from Edo ? It is totally illogical

Lastly but not the least, All this edo are yoruba or not starting to bore me.

Alj Harem
I will give you an account to read and Its up to you to judge for yourself if you have records of a better history than what is outlined here. The Bini account is replete with facts, places, names of characters and is devoid of overt myths and legends. The only myths that existed were not in the history itself but in the belief-isms of the people of the time. The people of the time believed the Ogisos were from the sky. With 20/20 hindsight we all know that the Ogisos were mere humans who successfully created and perpetuated a myth around themselves and that myth was used to maintain rulership over the people. On the contrary, Oduduwa is said to have come from the sky and the Yorubas are still laying claim to that myth. Izoduwa on the other hand is said to have gone to Yoruba land. I mean the coincidenc eis way too much and while one is mythical, the other is factual. Read the link below to judge for yourself.
http://www.edo-nation.net/naiwu1.htm

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 26, 2012
who are actually the yorubas that still beleive in Oduduwa droping frm the sky?

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Beaf: 1:37pm On May 26, 2012
I am not sure fools like alj haram know how infuriating their constant foolish claims of owning other cultures are.
Its pathetic to continue seeing these threads over and over. Is ignorance so rife? angry
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 1:40pm On May 26, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^

So what makes you think Oduduwa is not a beliv-ism as well ?

When you talk of Yorubaland, there were 2 phases of this " Yorubaland"

The first empire of which Bini was part of and the second which they were not, this suggest the confusion in history.

The second phase of Yoruba empire only included a very small part of lagos which was there only access to sea aka the colonial people through the Ijebus. The last time I checked Egun, Awori, the whole of Ekiti, Ondo and eastern Ogun was NOT part of the Oyo empire.

During the time of Izoduwa, Oduduwa etc, Bini were part and parcel of this dynasty thus the word (Oba) as the title. If Edo was not part of it the word Oba would not exist in Edo leadership. It would probably be call N'Ogiso or such.

Today as your rightly mention, the oba of eko has has rituals with is linked to Bini (I see it as yoruba as well). This tradition my grand father went through as well so with is the big deal ?

The Oba's head when dead is buried in Ile Ife. These are two empires or Kingdoms (which ever one you call it) which are intertwine with each other.

I am not saying you should call yourself Yoruba, far from it

I am saying you should not dispute the fact that Yorubas and Edos are very much related in fact much more related than Hausa and Fulanis or french and english. The only thing that separated us was Nnamdi's political motive using the Urhobos to join NCNC to separate the mid-west from the west. Did you see yorubas go to war cause of that ? No because we believe blood is thicker than water.

As for the language, each kingdom had different languages which we call dialect now. Awori, Ijebu, ekiti etc are all of different dialect and Bini was seen and still seen to be of different dialect till today.

6 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 1:42pm On May 26, 2012
Beaf: I am not sure fools like alj haram know how infuriating their constant foolish claims of owning other cultures are.
Its pathetic to continue seeing these threads over and over. Is ignorance so rife? angry

Dude I no get your time today

you were the same funny man that said Bini and the entire mid-west is part of Baifra and biafrans never invaded mid-west

Yesterday saying Biafran are lairs grin grin grin grin

My brother you go jokes

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Musiwa49: 1:43pm On May 26, 2012
where are you from
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 1:45pm On May 26, 2012
Beaf: alj haram is just a bigoted fool. embarassed

LOL how ? grin grin grin grin coming from you that insults people based on ethnicity just cause they don't agree with you ?

grin grin grin grin Beaf you are funny smiley

3 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 1:55pm On May 26, 2012
here comes the andre uweh aka Oturugo aka Abadaba aka Ngodigha cheesy

all of una welcome to the party smiley
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 1:55pm On May 26, 2012
I am waiting for willy-willy
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 1:56pm On May 26, 2012
Beaf:

You were only on that thread because the piece of shiit that you thinks you have a claim to Edo and Delta.
All of you ignorant freaks with that Nazi opinion need to be ashamed that you were ever born.

Edo people are not Yoruba, you smelly piece of decaying shiit.

LOL Ok sir, I don hear

It still does not CHANGE THEIR HISTORY or does it ?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 2:01pm On May 26, 2012
Here is where I leave this thread so those of Edo origin I can talk to. I am not ready to start this argument with Igbos like Beaf and co.

I am waiting for Edo to come if not le ye evban re
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by AndreUweh(m): 2:02pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem: here comes the andre uweh aka Oturugo aka Abadaba aka Ngodigha cheesy

all of una welcome to the party smiley
For the sake of Allah whom you bow down for on regular basis, why not you and your collaborators quit insulting the Edos. If you like list me as differet 50 nairalanders, I will not stop pushing you bigots to the extreme.
Edos are peace-loving people and deserves to be respected.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 2:06pm On May 26, 2012
Andre Uweh:
For the sake of Allah whom you bow down for on regular basis, why not you and your collaborators quit insulting the Edos. If you like list me as differet 50 nairalanders, I will not stop pushing you bigots to the extreme.
Edos are peace-loving people and deserves to be respected.

Dude I am not your average Nairaland, I work with reality. In your life don't insult my religion

I know your name and where you live Cheta so shut up and don't let me expose you.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by AndreUweh(m): 2:12pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem:

Dude I am not your average Nairaland, I work with reality. In your life don't insult my religion

I know your name and where you live Cheta so shut up and don't let me expose you.

Don't be silly dude. Do I have anything to hide. Am law abiding and have no worries. If you know where I live does that mean I should not sleep at night with my eyes closed. Who doesn't know where Obama leaves.
It is even good you know where I leave. That shows that I have notthing to hide.
Once again, I do not know you nor intend to know you. My message to you always is to show respect to people. A fool will come and from no where to make jest of Edo people and you feel it is cool. Am not Edo but I always say no to evil.

5 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 26, 2012
alj harem:

to hell with you and your demonic islamic religion.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Beaf: 2:41pm On May 26, 2012
chima12: alh harem you an eediot.why did you mention Igbo in a yoruba/edo thread?bigoted,stupiid foool.

You are learning something about that bigoted, hate-filled, leprosied beast called alj haram. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the OP signed in with a different user id.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Kola, Bitter Kola And Aligator Peppe. / NSCDC Special Female Squad Visits Alaafin Of Oyo (Pictures) / Oba Adeyemi Adediran Ordained As Pastor 13 Years After His Coronation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.