Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests (14840 Views)

Two Generals Purportedly Express Shock Over Jonathan’s Boko Haram War Politics / Five PDP Governors Will Join APC – Oyegun / Which Of These Is Nigerians Greatest Dissapointment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by mpumalanga: 6:16pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

O se ooO!!! Abiola From as far back as the 70's had his eye on the presidency. Wined and dined the corrupt military to get there. The problem he had with Abacha could have been seen in a way as Abacha protecting his own interest too.

Every other past and some present politician wined and dined with corrupt military to get to where they want
except GEAJ our fresh air.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Henry22(m): 6:19pm On May 30, 2012
OR THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST CALLED IT "MALU UNIVERSITY" grin
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by VolvoS60(m): 6:20pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Who cares whether we have men with clean hands? A thief is a thief, and I stand against our open praising, and rewarding thieves, whether dead or alive. If your wealth is of the blood of the innocent Nigerians, you remain a thief and not until you pay back ALL that money you stole and ask for forgiveness from the people you wronged, you deserve no reward for being a thief.

Sorry, Abiola never atoned for his crimes against Nigeria. His death, he met while fighting for himself, not for you,or me, or Nigeria. He died at the hands on those he chose over the Nigerian people for decades. They stabbed him in the back, after so many years of his profiting from them, and using them to get to the highest levels, even to the point of running successfully for the presidency. So I don't know where you get that he atoned for his crimes against Nigeria.

What people were most affected? What are you talking about? The school is a federal school so those affected would be the Nigerian people.

Let's tell ourselves the truth of these men. Abiola was a friend to the likes of Babangida, Abacha, etc. many of them the most notorious in the history of our Nation. He never hid the relationship he had with them. He only got the bad end, something Nigerians had been getting for longer, when his relationship with them went sour, and he died trying to restore it.

Thank you. You have been consistent in your comments. This country deserves to know the truth about some of its principal actors. Whether some of us like it or not.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by tpia5: 6:21pm On May 30, 2012
Abiola From as far back as the 70's had his eye on the presidency

really?

never heard that before.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Kobojunkie: 6:21pm On May 30, 2012
mpumalanga:

Every other past and some present politician wined and dined with corrupt military to get to where they want
except GEAJ our fresh air.

um . . . GoodLuck Jonathan did the same. He wined and dined with the PDP goons to get to where he is today. He did not get where he is today on laurels, that we are sure of.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Henry22(m): 6:22pm On May 30, 2012
IF THEM TRY AM 4 UNIPORT WE GO GO STIKE FOR 2 MONTHS.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by usbcable(m): 6:25pm On May 30, 2012
frankosabi: It's so foolish with d kind of impression a lot of people often voice out about MKO.it's also a justification that we overate people in dis this part of the world.MKO was never a hero,his is never been and will never be.may be a lot of us may have forgotten what a true hero is made of.This was a man who accumulated his wealth through fraud,just because he contested an election just like every other Nigerian.The NEC never declared him as the winner even though he may have won majority of the states.But in as much as the fact that the body whose is saddle with the responsibility to declare him d winner never did,then his fates is the same as Olu falae,Buhari and co.if MKO is hero just because he contested an election just like every other candidate,just because of how much he lost and his hope to go there and steal more was shattered by the same IBB whom use that opportunity to pay him back for the liberia's money which he stole from him.MKO as a man ought to have gone to court just like Buhari and co but he went ahead to declare himself the President..so my question is what made MKO a hero?

he was a hero because he stood by what he believed to be his right.
and to many both home and away he was a hero cause of his exploits in many facets of life of the african race.

and just to chip in he was the Aare Ona Kakanfo and he died as a gracious one.

1 Like

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by frankosabi(m): 6:29pm On May 30, 2012
It's so foolish with d kind of impression a lot of people often voice out about MKO.it's also a justification that we overate people in dis this part of the world.MKO was never a hero,his is never been and will never be.may be a lot of us may have forgotten what a true hero is made of.This was a man who accumulated his wealth through fraud,just because he contested an election just like every other Nigerian.The NEC never declared him as the winner even though he may have won majority of the states.But in as much as the fact that the body whose is saddle with the responsibility to declare him d winner never did,then his fates is the same as Olu falae,Buhari and co.if MKO is hero just because he contested an election just like every other candidate,just because of how much he lost and his hope to go there and steal more was shattered by the same IBB whom use that opportunity to pay him back for the liberia's money which he stole from him.MKO as a man ought to have gone to court just like Buhari and co but he went ahead to declare himself the President..so my question is what made MKO a hero?
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Mortiple(m): 6:40pm On May 30, 2012
philip0906: d reason y d name change is being rejected by d students is simply b'cos- e no sweet 4 mouth.Moshod Abiola University,Lagos aka MAU. Very Local name grin grin grin grin

Em... emm... you mean say MAU no sweet abi, I get a better name for it. How about Abiola Moshood University, Lagos (AMU or AMULAG or AMULAGOS, for short) grin
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 6:45pm On May 30, 2012
frankosabi: It's so foolish with d kind of impression a lot of people often voice out about MKO.it's also a justification that we overate people in dis this part of the world.MKO was never a hero,his is never been and will never be.may be a lot of us may have forgotten what a true hero is made of.This was a man who accumulated his wealth through fraud,just because he contested an election just like every other Nigerian.The NEC never declared him as the winner even though he may have won majority of the states.But in as much as the fact that the body whose is saddle with the responsibility to declare him d winner never did,then his fates is the same as Olu falae,Buhari and co.if MKO is hero just because he contested an election just like every other candidate,just because of how much he lost and his hope to go there and steal more was shattered by the same IBB whom use that opportunity to pay him back for the liberia's money which he stole from him.MKO as a man ought to have gone to court just like Buhari and co but he went ahead to declare himself the President..so my question is what made MKO a hero?

hmmmmmmm.........
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Brezzybone(m): 6:51pm On May 30, 2012
Desola: seriously though, can this decision be reversed? I'm even sadder than the day he won the election. This man has become a thorn in our flesh. I despise him beyond words.

He is a devourer, he has come to destroy all good things in his path. I curse those who voted for him!
Stop am abeg with God na him i use beg u, u get hot temper o!
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 6:52pm On May 30, 2012
Mortiple:

Em... emm... you mean say MAU no sweet abi, I get a better name for it. How about Abiola Moshood University, Lagos (AMU or AMULAG or AMULAGOS, for short) grin

grin grin grin
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by faraday77(m): 7:06pm On May 30, 2012
Nobody is saying abiola was not an hero in his life time, but the renaming of unilag has no connection with him. Agreed unilag is a federal institution but a selling brand of its own. Anyone saying anything contrary is not a graduate of UNILAG. I REJECT MAU OR WATEVER anyday anytime. GEJ is gradually plotting his exit from ASO ROCK with all is unpopular gestures. He better do a rethink before it his too late revert the name of my school.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Pakavy(m): 7:09pm On May 30, 2012
okosodo: Abiola did‘nt fight for any1, he fought 4 himself
shikenan!angama maganar
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 7:14pm On May 30, 2012
jobless students.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Magnanimity(m): 7:16pm On May 30, 2012
Desola: seriously though, can this decision be reversed? I'm even sadder than the day he won the election. This man has become a thorn in our flesh. I despise him beyond words.

He is a devourer, he has come to destroy all good things in his path. I curse those who voted for him!
Bleep U !
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 7:19pm On May 30, 2012
naija. cool
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 7:40pm On May 30, 2012
hmmm...
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Jakumo(m): 7:45pm On May 30, 2012
Reports from Lagos, Nigeria today May 30th, 2012, are that ululating swarms of drunken "students" stole several large city buses, and parked them blocking ALL lanes in BOTH directions along the ancient, cracked Third Mainland Bridge, causing several hours of gridlock on that strategic thoroughfare, and trapping miles of motorists in a tropical rain storm, with nowhere to run from the gathering packs of hoodlums but over the rail into the lagoon 200 feet below.

It took the arrival of armed policemen and soldiers to gently persuade the "students" to depart the bridge and release their thousands of hostage motorists. No doubt, terrorist plotters will duly take note of the relative ease with the strategic Third Mainland Bridge fell under a temporary government of testosterone-addled gibbons riding aboard a convoy of commandeered city buses, so it would behoove Nigerian law enforcement authorities to step up the monitoring regime and security patrols on that most vulnerable artery of commerce.

It is so ironic to note hear that the naming of a Lagos university after late Chief M.K.O Abiola, a man who put so many thousands of Nigerians, Africans and African Americans through schools and universities, could elicit such foolhardy and pointless antics from hordes of individuals claiming to be "students". One would imagine that the more academically inclined students would be too occupied with homework to ever consider joining up with lower primates on silly rampages that endanger the public.

1 Like

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by ydauda45(m): 7:48pm On May 30, 2012
philip0906: d reason y d name change is being rejected by d students is simply b'cos- e no sweet 4 mouth.Moshod Abiola University,Lagos aka MAU. Very Local name grin grin grin grin
grin
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nosyke(m): 8:01pm On May 30, 2012

Watch what you say on public fora, your frustrations over your failure shouldn't be taken out on others. Cheers
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by marvel10: 8:04pm On May 30, 2012
GEJ loves to irritate his people!! I just wish Abiola's name wouldn't be dragged up time and time again. He would have fathered close to 1000 children by now and I am pleased he never made president of nigeria. I wouldn't be so miffed if they suggested Mobolaji Bank Anthony, a genuine philanthropist than that ugly mofo. Unilag should stay just so.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by ayox2003: 8:10pm On May 30, 2012
usbcable:

he was a hero because he stood by what he believed to be his right.
and to many both home and away he was a hero cause of his exploits in many facets of life of the african race.

and just to chip in he was the Aare Ona Kakanfo and he died as a gracious one.
One of the things that hinders progress in this blessed country is that Nigerians make certainties out of perhaps's.
God bless MKO.
God bless Ojukwu.
But these guys above have been toooooooo overrated!
Look deep and excogitate. Were they really heroes? What made them heroes?
I need correct answers.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by lukmanraimi: 8:10pm On May 30, 2012

[center]DOING THE RIGHT THING, AT THE WRONG TIME: IMPLICATIONS OF NAMING UNILAG AFTER MOSHOOD KASHIMAWO ABIOLA

Imam Luqman AbdurRaheem[/center]

All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the universe. May His peace and blessings be upon the noble Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), his faithful companions and dutiful followers till the end of time, amin.

I write as a stakeholder in Nigeria and as an alumnus of UNILAG with the intent to set the records straight on the implications of the recent pronouncement by the Federal Government naming or renaming University of Lagos as Moshood Abiola University, Lagos (MAUL) in honour of the indefatigable hero of democracy, our father, mentor and friend, MKO Abiola. There are two opposition groups in this matter, those opposing based on timing and those doubting the credentials of Abiola. To both, I reply that, by the powers vested on Mr President, as the Head of State of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, he has the full right under the constitution to make such pronouncement. Emotion apart, the fact above presupposes that FGN owns, controls and funds UNILAG; and as the owner can name and rename the institution at will and based on exigency. However, before a true democrat embarks on such sensitive political task, the socio-economic and political implications in terms of timing, legal complications, ethical issues and public opinions should be pragmatically examined to forestall backlash. Alas! I don’t think that was done. In fact, the VC of the contentious institution just died. I am not sure before the man died, he had feeler of what was coming. Again, we are back to timing!

The naming was right because MKO deserves more than that, but why now? The first opposition group queried. The people in this category with several others who are non-aligned want deliverables of democracy on their tables as we speak, not rebranding of university to win credibility and sympathy from June 12 activists. They want jobs, food, stable electricity, cheap fuel, affordable university education, functional health-care, affordable drugs/medications, cheap accommodation, living wages, security of their lives & property, enabling environment for SMEs to thrive, prosecution of fuel cabals, good governance et cetera.

If I were in the shoe of Mr President, I would have sought public opinions on the matter via polls, robust meeting with stakeholders of the University, and consult objective technocrats before rushing to make a pronouncement, that back-fired as bitter rejection! The damage is already done; the next thing is to resolve the matter amicably. I belong to the group that queried now!!!!! It could have been done rightly with consultations, at another time.

More importantly, for those who queried the qualification of Abiola to be so honoured, I have the following fleshed narrative response extracted from books, TV documentaries and internet archives.

Alhaji (Chief) Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola often referred to as MKO was a popular Muslim, born into a poor family in Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria on August 24, 1937. He received his elementary education at Baptist Boys' High School. His brilliance earned him a scholarship to attend the University of Glasgow, Scotland, where he received a degree in economics. He climbed to the top of several corporate ladders, building a political and financial empire. He bridged the gap between Northern Muslims and their brothers in the Southern Nigeria. On personal preference, which aligned with Islamic tradition, Abiola took four wives; Simibiat Atinuke Shoaga in 1960, Kudirat Olayinki Adeyemi in 1973, Adebisi Olawunmi Oshin in 1974, and Doyinsola (Doyin) Abiola Aboaba in 1981. Abiola's second wife, Kudirat, was murdered in the capital city of Lagos in 1996. His third wife, Doyin, ran a media outfit, owned by Abiola, until it was closed down. Abiola by the Grace of Allah amassed a fortune from various enterprises, including publishing, communications, manufacturing, shipping, transportation, and oil.

With his educational background in accounting, he assumed the position of deputy chief accountant at Lagos University Teaching Hospital from 1965 to 1967, and comptroller of Pfizer Products, Ltd. between 1967 and 1969. In 1969, he became the comptroller of International Telephone and Telegraph (ITT), Nigeria, Ltd., and rapidly rose to become vice president for ITT's Africa and Middle East branch. He was also chairman and chief executive officer of ITT Nigeria, Ltd. from 1972 through 1988. During this period Abiola founded and sat as chairman of Concord Press of Nigeria Ltd. and served as chief executive at Radio Communications Nigeria. While employed with ITT, he was frequently admonished by the general public due to the dreadful condition of the Nigerian telephone system. His adventure into entrepreneurship took him round the globe and enhanced his connection and popularity. His chains of businesses were visible in almost all parts of the world. He was a leading figure in the development of African sports and football in particular. Have we all forgotten Abiola Babes? No wonder he is generally regarded as a pillar of sports in Africa. Bashorun’s intellectual prowess and intellectual sagacity was never in doubt considering the positive roles he played in reshaping Nigerian economy. His generosity earned Abiola the nickname "Father Christmas" among the citizens of Nigeria. He donated lavishly to notable tertiary institutions in Nigeria, including University of Lagos (UNILAG). He took the controversial Yoruba warlord title, dreaded by all –Aare Onakakanfo (The Generalissimo of war).

Abiola's fortune was freely shared with Muslims, Christians and Freethinkers in Nigeria. He sent over 2,500 students through the university system as well as donating huge sums of money to charities and championing the cause of Islamic Madrasa and the Quránic events. He empowered many churches, Christian organisations including late Evangelist cum Musician Sonny Okosun, who wept at Abiola’s grave. Prior to the death of the latter, he released special album for the former title: La ilaha ila LLahu, Muhammadur Rasulullah (There is no other god, except Allah, Muhammad is the Prophet of Allah). This is unprecedented in Nigeria.

Abiola was considered an astute advocate of Shari’ah law in Nigeria without prejudice to the interest of non-Muslims, the stands, which he defended logically before the CAN and PFN. He reiterated that, he was seeking mandate on the platform of the Nigerian constitution, and had no intention open or secret to convert Nigeria into an Islamic State. During the interaction with the Christians, he venerated several times, the name Jesus Christ, saying peace be upon him. These rare feats demonstrated the dynamism, courage, patriotism and pragmatic qualities of Abiola, as one the best candidates for the post of President, that Nigeria never had. As a Muslim, I believe Allah knows best, man knows nothing. For years when he lived, the man carefully cultivated friends throughout the country, from East, North and West. He even had friends in the military! They denied him during the period of need.

Abiola lobbied the United States and several European nations in 1992, strategically and passionately demanding reparations for the enslavement of African people and recompense for the fortunes made in harvesting Africa's raw materials. This put him on the alert list of the West for advocating Reparation and Compensation. He was betrayed.

Abiola aspired selflessly to reposition Africa in general and Nigeria in particular by running for the presidency in 1993; he won, but the results of the election were annulled by the preceding military president Ibrahim Babangida. He was arrested, incarcerated in solitary prison and died under questionable circumstances. He was a Muslim and died valiantly as a Muslim, without compromising the mandate of governance given to him by Nigerians across faiths, creeds, and ideological leanings. He deserves the posthumous award, but the timing is wrong!! These are my reflections for my alma mater.

I recommend a peaceful resolution of the crisis as soon as possible because of the implications. I just discussed one, the timing, there other implications in law, even recognition outside the country, social contract issue for awarding students who chose UNILAG as desired institution certificates reflecting MAUL.

The lesson is that, there must be strict adherence to the principle of consultation (with stakeholders) and the effective use of public opinion in governance. May Allah, help Nigeria.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 8:12pm On May 30, 2012
Jakumo: Reports from Lagos, Nigeria today May 30th, 2012, are that ululating swarms of drunken "students" stole several large city buses, and parked them blocking ALL lanes in BOTH directions along the ancient, cracked Third Mainland Bridge, causing several hours of gridlock on that strategic thoroughfare, and trapping miles of motorists in a tropical rain storm, with nowhere to run from the gathering packs of hoodlums but over the rail into the lagoon 200 feet below.

It took the arrival of armed policemen and soldiers to gently persuade the "students" to depart the bridge and release their thousands of hostage motorists. No doubt, terrorist plotters will duly take note of the relative ease with the strategic Third Mainland Bridge fell under a temporary government of testosterone-addled gibbons riding aboard a convoy of commandeered city buses, so it would behoove Nigerian law enforcement authorities to step up the monitoring regime and security patrols on that most vulnerable artery of commerce.

It is so ironic to note hear that the naming of a Lagos university after late Chief M.K.O Abiola, a man who put so many thousands of Nigerians, Africans and African Americans through schools and universities, could elicit such foolhardy and pointless antics from hordes of individuals claiming to be "students". One would imagine that the more academically inclined students would be too occupied with homework to ever consider joining up with lower primates on silly rampages that endanger the public.

+1000
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by IYANGBALI: 8:49pm On May 30, 2012
shame dey even catch me to tell my friends say i get girl friend for the now local school, no thanx to the new name
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 9:29pm On May 30, 2012
IYA NGBALI: shame dey even catch me to tell my friends say i get girl friend for the now local school, no thanx to the new name

grin grin grin
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Azcreativ(m): 9:41pm On May 30, 2012
T9ksy:

Thank you, ojare!

MKO has never championed the course of the poor and the downtrodden rather he fought for his pocket and for which he was amply

rewarded by the same cabal who have been holding the whole country back for decades and who later had him killed when their r/ship

went sour. MKO did not die for us or democracy but for his inordinate ambition.

I know some will point to the myriad mosques he built all over the country as part of his contributions to the masses. In

that case, the retardeen of aso rock should have picked one of them to name after him and not a brand name higher institute of

education like Unilag.

Come to think of it, i thought a poly had already been named after him?

Just when you think the fisherman currently occupying our seat of govt. cannot surpass his past record of idiocy, GEJ comes up with

a masterstroke.!

I will advice you go to different part of the country you will see structures constructed by Abiola for example 750 Lecture theatre in Ladoke Akintola university of Technology is part of it and todays generation are benefactors of his goodwill.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 10:01pm On May 30, 2012
Az-creativ:

I will advice you go to different part of the country you will see structures constructed by Abiola for example 750 Lecture theatre in Ladoke Akintola university of Technology is part of it and todays generation are benefactors of his goodwill.

hmmm.....
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by emmalezy(m): 10:09pm On May 30, 2012

Hey useless goat.. U must be lunatic for that statement... I curse those who voted for him![/quote) am sure one of ur family member voted for him... Stupid guy.. If I may asks u? Is the UNILAG ur property? Bastard....
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 10:15pm On May 30, 2012
emmalezy:
Hey useless goat.. U must be lunatic for that statement... I curse those who voted for him![/quote) am sure one of ur family member voted for him... Stupid guy.. If I may asks u? Is the UNILAG ur property? Bastard....

hmm...
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by emmalezy(m): 10:15pm On May 30, 2012
PointB: Na wa ooo. Really thought MKO was revered in Yorubaland.
Some of these comments are interesting, and some totally disappointing.
Don't be surprised that's guy is not a yoruba boy...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Governors Meet Buhari On Ministerial Nominees Tuesday / All APC Members Are God-fearing – Amaechi / Fayose Bemoans FG’s Silence On ₦13 Billion Ikoyi Loot, Magu’s Prosecution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.