Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,294 members, 7,811,882 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests (14839 Views)

Two Generals Purportedly Express Shock Over Jonathan’s Boko Haram War Politics / Five PDP Governors Will Join APC – Oyegun / Which Of These Is Nigerians Greatest Dissapointment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 30, 2012
Mauling.... grin

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 5:14pm On May 30, 2012
ayox2003:
I want to state it here that MKO was a philiantropist in his life-time and we appreciate it. Infact the greatest. We all must learn from history and pass it down to the next generation. MKO had somany shady deals. He and IBB were good friends but they had a rift (which ofcourse would be about power sharing) and IBB through Abacha messed him up. The SW are not naive and dumb. MKO worked really hard during his campaign and he won the election.

So what are you saying? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by usbcable(m): 5:15pm On May 30, 2012
For 8 years an egba president did not even deem it fit to give a verbal recognition to Abiola.

GEJ as slow poke or whatever he may be did something courageous and honorable to give him recognition.

na wa o.

Hate GEJ but its wrong to now pour the venom on someone els underserving of the hatred for PDP.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Kobojunkie: 5:16pm On May 30, 2012
Reptyle: Suddenly, Abiola is now a criminal who doesn't deserve an honour What kind of people are these Yoruba people who cut their own nose to spite their face Jonathan may have had ulterior motives for the honor done Abiola...but it is an honor nonetheless. Abiola may have been a reluctant martyr...but he was a martyr nonetheless. I hope that he gets some more national recognition...like a day dedicated to him. But Jonathan's gesture, ill-timed and all, is a good start and should be commended rather than greeted with reprehension.

UNILAG is a brand name my big black ass angry angry

He is not suddenly a criminal. It is what the man did in much of the 70's, 80's and part of the 90's that is living after him. grin
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 30, 2012
Desola: seriously though, can this decision be reversed? I'm even sadder than the day he won the election. This man has become a thorn in our flesh. I despise him beyond words.

He is a devourer, he has come to destroy all good things in his path. I curse those who voted for him!

You shuut ur trap, were you not the person that said ABIOLA is more respected than OJUKWU, are you not the one who said yorubas are united( OMO Odua), He could have named the sch after ENAHORO, who is more prefered but he decided to please the yorubas and yet he is wacko. Yoruba can never stop betraying themselves and other tribes angry
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On May 30, 2012
sammirano: @Poster, are you minding UNILAG kids who don't known anything as at the life of MKO but were unfortunate to hear bad stories regarding the philanthropist.

You mean this Philanthropist?

The story of Abiola’s life is a classic rags to riches story that could be a Hollywood film. He was born into poverty in a large family. His birth came after a series of failed pregnancies, still born children and infant deaths in his family. He eventually attended the famous Baptist Boys High School in his home town of Abeokuta, in Ogun State. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo is another alumnus of that school. Afterward he studied accountancy at the University of Glasgow in Scotland. He then worked with the multi-national pharmaceutical company Pfizer.[size=13pt] [b]However Abiola made his name and riches when he joined the telecommunications company International Telegraph and Telephone (ITT). Abiola eventually became the chairman of ITT and via series of cordial relations with key army officers, Abiola amassed so much wealth, influence and fame that he once boasted of being the richest African on Earth.

Two of Abiola’s closest military friends were then Minister of Communications Brigadier Murtala Muhammed and Lt-Col Ibrahim Babangida. Abiola met Babangida in 1974 when Abiola was selling radio systems to the military. Babangida was sent to evaluate the quality of devices being sold by Abiola. According to Babangida “From that time the relationship developed and he was always around”. Abiola also met Brigadier Muhammed after bravely confronting Muhammed over a series of debts owed to Abiola’s company by Muhammed’s Communications Ministry. The normally fearsome and ruthless Muhammed was impressed by Abiola’s courage and the two struck up a friendship. With Babangida and Muhammed eventually becoming Heads of State, Abiola exploited his relationship with them to secure extensive patronage via contracts with the government and became spectacularly rich in the process. His business empire grew massively as did his bank account balance, number of wives, concubines and children.[/b]
[/size]

http://maxsiollun./2008/06/02/what-if-abiola-had-become-president/
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 30, 2012
chiover: Plz GEJ Name futo Ojukwu university we wil embrace it o
Not FUTO, UNN will be more like it.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Kobojunkie: 5:19pm On May 30, 2012
Let's not forget where this philanthropist, and one time richest man in Nigeria(according to reports back in the days) got some of that money from. From the very pockets of Nigeria . . .. grin grin

Dangote is another man who I believe is doing about the same thing, only in a grander way. He is also a Philanthropist. Shall we also declare him a hero? Or is the hero label only reserved for those of their kind who are denied an electoral win?
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by usbcable(m): 5:20pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

and so his crime that he was friend to tehsame Buhari you campaigned for in the last elections?
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 30, 2012
Desola: seriously though, can this decision be reversed? I'm even sadder than the day he won the election. This man has become a thorn in our flesh. I despise him beyond words.

He is a devourer, he has come to destroy all good things in his path. I curse those who voted for him!

God curse you, tell me one Good reason why Unilag shouldn't be renamed? Cause of the name swag abi? Una go chop swag. Does renaming it add more fees to the tuition fees? Or does it stop you from doing runs?. U dey curse ur mama and papa
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Kobojunkie: 5:23pm On May 30, 2012
usbcable:

and so his crime that he was friend to tehsame Buhari you campaigned for in the last elections?

Really? That is what you read in that whole paragraph and a half?? ROFLMAO!!
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by usbcable(m): 5:31pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Really? That is what you read in that whole paragraph and a half?? ROFLMAO!!

nope.
you are free to say more of his friendship with his customers.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Germannig: 5:31pm On May 30, 2012
Bloody betrayers. May the soul of THIEF Abiola haunt all his brothers betraying him. Oh! I forgot, ITT thieves have no moral standing to haunt anyone. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Kobojunkie: 5:32pm On May 30, 2012
sammirano: @Poster, are you minding UNILAG kids who don't known anything as at the life of MKO but were unfortunate to hear bad stories regarding the philanthropist.

The story of Abiola’s life is a classic rags to riches story that could be a Hollywood film. He was born into poverty in a large family. His birth came after a series of failed pregnancies, still born children and infant deaths in his family. He eventually attended the famous Baptist Boys High School in his home town of Abeokuta, in Ogun State. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo is another alumnus of that school. Afterward he studied accountancy at the University of Glasgow in Scotland. He then worked with the multi-national pharmaceutical company Pfizer.[size=13pt] [b]However Abiola made his name and riches when he joined the telecommunications company International Telegraph and Telephone (ITT). Abiola eventually became the chairman of ITT and via series of cordial relations with key army officers, Abiola amassed so much wealth, influence and fame that he once boasted of being the richest African on Earth.

Two of Abiola’s closest military friends were then Minister of Communications Brigadier Murtala Muhammed and Lt-Col Ibrahim Babangida. Abiola met Babangida in 1974 when Abiola was selling radio systems to the military. Babangida was sent to evaluate the quality of devices being sold by Abiola. According to Babangida “From that time the relationship developed and he was always around”. Abiola also met Brigadier Muhammed after bravely confronting Muhammed over a series of debts owed to Abiola’s company by Muhammed’s Communications Ministry. The normally fearsome and ruthless Muhammed was impressed by Abiola’s courage and the two struck up a friendship. With Babangida and Muhammed eventually becoming Heads of State, Abiola exploited his relationship with them to secure extensive patronage via contracts with the government and became spectacularly rich in the process. His business empire grew massively as did his bank account balance, number of wives, concubines and children.[/b]
[/size]

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On May 30, 2012
usbcable:

nope.
you are free to say more of his friendship with his customers.

I really don't know what this is about so I will excuse myself here.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Kobojunkie: 5:35pm On May 30, 2012
gboss4sure:

God curse you, tell me one Good reason why Unilag shouldn't be renamed? Cause of the name swag abi? Una go chop swag. Does renaming it add more fees to the tuition fees? Or does it stop you from doing runs?. U dey curse ur mama and papa

I think in the Bible God curses those who deny the truth of what is, so they can rejoice with those he declares to be the wicked. I mean this is all over the Bible, including Deuteronomy 23 - 28 for you to verify.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 30, 2012
chiover: Interesting to knw dat MkO Abiola is a piece of shit to yoruba pipl. I'v said it b4 d average yoruba man lacks respect. Plz GEJ Name futo Ojukwu university we wil embrace it o

Seconded, I was even thinking of it today if futo or imsu be renamed to Ojukwu University we would embrace it with full joy. I have always said 99% are saboteurs. Tufiakwa. When abiola was killed they blabed and went and sat down out of cowardice.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 30, 2012

where d fcckin hell are u from? U r such a daft! A watsed sperm! I dnt blame u at all. I blame ur dad for wastin his sperm. He shud be shot for reproducin a foool like u
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by duni04(m): 5:44pm On May 30, 2012
usbcable: I AM SOOO LOST FOR WORDS.

1. I am just disappointed that people are saying Abiola did nothing for Nigerian Masses yet he was massively voted for in 1993 and uptil date countless political analyst say he died for a just cause.

From 1972 until his death Moshood Abiola had been conferred with 197 traditional titles by 68 different communities in Nigeria, in response to the fact that his financial assistance resulted in the construction of 63 secondary schools, 121 mosques and churches, 41 libraries, 21 water projects in 24 states of Nigeria, and was grand patron to 149 societies or associations in Nigeria. In this way Abiola reached out and won admiration across the multifarious ethnic and religious divides in Nigeria. In addition to his work in Nigeria, Moshood Abiola was a dedicated supporter of the Southern African Liberation movements from the 1970s and he sponsored the campaign to win reparations for slavery and colonialism in Africa and the diaspora. Chief Abiola, personally rallied every African head of state, and every head of state in the black diaspora to ensure that Africans would speak with one voice on the issues.

Moshood Abiola was twice voted international businessman of the year, and received numerous honorary doctorates from universities all over the world. In 1987 he was bestowed with the golden key to the city of Washington D.C., and he was bestowed with awards from the NAACP and the King center in the USA, as well as the International Committee on Education for Teaching in Paris, amongst many others.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moshood_Kashimawo_Olawale_Abiola

with all the above being said about a great man of international accaim, some people still disrespect him all because they want to remain nicknamed ''Unilag babes and Unilag Guys''

its just shameful some yoruba's are also not seeing his magnanimity. maybe they were too young to know what it was like on June 12, 1993.
Excellent write up but m still wit d unilag students on this one. U can't just wake up and arbitarily change the name of a 50tear old institution like that. That's against everything abiola stood for. No consultations with the university authorities, alumni, council, nothing! Just a very poor and disappointing broadcast on a tuesday morning.Jonathan is just an absolute disappointment. Imagine what the authorities of unilag are going through now. They woke up on tuesday to find that their name was changed and then had to deal with the fall out of the stupidity of some sick president in abuja. Only in Nigeria anyways.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by hercules07: 5:46pm On May 30, 2012
@Kobo

Let it rest, there is no mega business man in Nigeria that has clean hands, Abiola did some shady deals but he has atoned for it with the collapse of his businesses and his death. The action taken by the FG is inappropriate if the people most affected were not consulted, they could have named the Abuja stadium after him or even one of the new universities and there would not have been any problem, thank God they did not choose UI. Those who are castigating SW peeps are ignorant, we can see through what GEJ is trying to do and he has not even been smart about it, we understand the role MKO played in scuttling the ambitions of Awo but he has been forgiven and anyway he died in the heat of battle, that is enough to appease most people.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by tpia5: 5:47pm On May 30, 2012
imo, the guy had the entire nigeria in his hands, and was practically handed the whole country on a platter.

that's the reason, i heard, why simbiat didnt support him running for president. She suspected there would be foul play and also knock on wood.

his rise to fame and riches were too meteoric, and it doesnt seem he knew he had enemies, or maybe he felt they were inconsequential.

just my analysis of those days.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by usbcable(m): 5:48pm On May 30, 2012
duni04:
Excellent write up but m still wit d unilag students on this one. U can't just wake up and arbitarily change the name of a 50tear old institution like that. That's against everything abiola stood for. No consultations with the university authorities, alumni, council, nothing! Just a very poor and disappointing broadcast on a tuesday morning.Jonathan is just an absolute disappointment. Imagine what the authorities of unilag are going through now. They woke up on tuesday to find that their name was changed and then had to deal with the fall out of the stupidity of some sick president in abuja. Only in Nigeria anyways.

I agree with you on consulting.

But my concern is with all that is being said about Abiola.
He was Human like every other Nigerian but because someone(GEJ) bungled the process of actualising his desire does not make what somebody(abiola) else achieved in the past a unworthy of recognition.

HATE GEJ HATE PDP FINE
BUT DONT HATE JUST FOR HATING SAKE.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by cyril83(m): 5:50pm On May 30, 2012
Castos: This MKO of a man, how heroic was he. Anyway, students are just misbehaving and showing a stupid act of youthful exurberance over such a small matter. I advice the Maulag student to read their books and forget this naming of a thing.
God will bless u my broda
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I think in the Bible God curses those who deny the truth of what is, so they can rejoice with those he declares to be the wicked. I mean this is all over the Bible, including Deuteronomy 23 - 28 for you to verify.

The truth of what?
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 5:55pm On May 30, 2012
gboss4sure:

Seconded, I was even thinking of it today if futo or imsu be renamed to Ojukwu University we would embrace it with full joy. I have always said 99% are saboteurs. Tufiakwa. When abiola was killed they blabed and went and sat down out of cowardice.

+1000
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Kobojunkie: 5:55pm On May 30, 2012
hercules07: @Kobo

Let it rest, there is no mega business man in Nigeria that has clean hands, Abiola did some shady deals but he has atoned for it with the collapse of his businesses and his death. The action taken by the FG is inappropriate if the people most affected were not consulted, they could have named the Abuja stadium after him or even one of the new universities and there would not have been any problem, thank God they did not choose UI. Those who are castigating SW peeps are ignorant, we can see through what GEJ is trying to do and he has not even been smart about it, we understand the role MKO played in scuttling the ambitions of Awo but he has been forgiven and anyway he died in the heat of battle, that is enough to appease most people.

Who cares whether we have men with clean hands? A thief is a thief, and I stand against our open praising, and rewarding thieves, whether dead or alive. If your wealth is of the blood of the innocent Nigerians, you remain a thief and not until you pay back ALL that money you stole and ask for forgiveness from the people you wronged, you deserve no reward for being a thief.

Sorry, Abiola never atoned for his crimes against Nigeria. His death, he met while fighting for himself, not for you,or me, or Nigeria. He died at the hands on those he chose over the Nigerian people for decades. They stabbed him in the back, after so many years of his profiting from them, and using them to get to the highest levels, even to the point of running successfully for the presidency. So I don't know where you get that he atoned for his crimes against Nigeria.

What people were most affected? What are you talking about? The school is a federal school so those affected would be the Nigerian people.

Let's tell ourselves the truth of these men. Abiola was a friend to the likes of Babangida, Abacha, etc. many of them the most notorious in the history of our Nation. He never hid the relationship he had with them. He only got the bad end, something Nigerians had been getting for longer, when his relationship with them went sour, and he died trying to restore it.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 5:57pm On May 30, 2012
cry cry cry cry MKO
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 30, 2012
If GEJ dares change that name back to Unilag then I go know say he is a real weakling. Students make una protest one month or even one year, wait till the barrack men are released on you then una go go back to school.

GEJ please send in Men Of Operation Restore Order and Peace make we see how e go take happen
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 5:59pm On May 30, 2012
gboss4sure: If GEJ dares change that name back to Unilag then I go know say he is a real weakling. Students make una protest one month or even one year, wait till the barrack men are released on you then una go go back to school.

GEJ please send in Men Of Operation Restore Order and Peace make we see how e go take happen

When the are hungry, the will return to school.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by frankosabi(m): 6:05pm On May 30, 2012
It's so foolish with d kind of impression a lot of people often voice out about MKO.it's also a justification that we overate people in dis this part of the world.MKO was never a hero,his is never been and will never be.may be a lot of us may have forgotten what a true hero is made of.This was a man who accumulated his wealth through fraud,just because he contested an election just like every other Nigerian.The NEC never declared him as the winner even though he may have won majority of the states.But in as much as the fact that the body whose is saddle with the responsibility to declare him d winner never did,then his fates is the same as Olu falae,Buhari and co.if MKO is hero just because he contested an election just like every other candidate,just because of how much he lost and his hope to go there and steal more was shattered by the same IBB whom use that opportunity to pay him back for the liberia's money which he stole from him.MKO as a man ought to have gone to court just like Buhari and co but he went ahead to declare himself the President..so my question is what made MKO a hero?
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by kholis(m): 6:09pm On May 30, 2012
okosodo: Abiola did‘nt fight for any1, he fought 4 himself

That's right. His kinsmen even plotted his death, according to Al Mustapher

1 Like

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by kinguwem: 6:09pm On May 30, 2012
The former Unilag is now Maulag. Political and tribal sentiments should not distract this commendable step to immortalize the late MKO.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Governors Meet Buhari On Ministerial Nominees Tuesday / Halliburton Scandal: EFCC Traces N13.5b To Private Account / Boko Haram May Have Used Chibok Girls As Shields During Attack – Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.