Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans (37527 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / Coca Cola Advert 1987 / Brrr; The Coca Cola Advert! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by chromoTop: 8:16pm On Jun 11, 2012
omosexy1: Your post shows that you don't travel and keep abreast for Foreign or Africa matters/policies. South Africa is sickened with crime that even the local police is shocked with the statistics. Do you know that you can get rob in broad day light in South Africa. Now that is a serious issue. Add HIV to that. Their president (Jacob Zuma) pays little attention to those issues but goes about marrying new wives and straffing donkeys on skirts. He even told the world that he slept with an HIV positive lady and only washed himself with water. Do you know that the unemployment rate in South-Africa is alarming? Now do you know that the alcohol and coke consumption in South Africa is also alarming and shocking. Oh sorry I forgot, the consumption of Cocaine too is alarming. I don't know much about Ghana, the country seems to be repositioning itself, the last I check they are the fastest growing economy in Sub-sahara Africa (little wonder why Nigeria locals are rushing to Ghana to do business). I probably will have to visit the place to assess their issues and development.

PS- I forgot to add that Nigeria Gas Companies supplies Gas to Ghana to power their turbines for power generation. The same Gas Companies that cannot supply PHCN Power Distribution companies regular gas. (SMH to the issues/diseases in Nigeria)
None of your point shows a people with such deranged thinking as Nigerians. they learn to live with their ills and build from there. the crimes you mentioned are not unusual in other continents too.
only Nigerians and a sizable chunk of Africans believe the world is against them. the world is smarter than waste resources on facts that need no
proofs
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by sazycul: 8:16pm On Jun 11, 2012
I don't really see anything wrong with it
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by chreldb(m): 8:18pm On Jun 11, 2012
To all those who consider this ad an insult if the word "Africa" was substtuted for the word "America" or "Europe" would you also consider it an insult to those continents?. Yes Africa has issues likewise every other continent in the world. The political and economic situation in various geogerphic regions in the world is of secondary concern to coca cola. Their primary concern in my opinion is how they can continue to sell their products and expand worldwide. All they have done here is to highlight the point that in recent times, Africa has developed some positive attributes such as the growing telecommunications and entertainment sector and other points like the worlds most admired man (Nelson Mandela most likely) is an African e.t.c. What coca cola is trying to insinuate is simply that the "consumption of coca cola is a symbol of success and rest of mind" and by that hyping their product. Rather than insulting Africa as opined by some, to me they are only trying to associate their product with areas where Africa has succeded and excelled. As for those who have some political perspective to this what really do you expect? that coca cola should come out with an advert stating that Africa lives in abject poverty where their leaders continually loot their treasury, negatively exploit their resources and impoverish their citizens and thus they drink coke because coke is a very wonderful something. Coca cola is not a political establishment but a multinational beverage company who are out to sell products and make profits. How else can they advertise their product? This is just a case of "your damned if you do and your damned if you dont" And finally if you dont like the advert, then go for pepsi. To much nollywood movies is bad for the intellect.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by chromoTop: 8:20pm On Jun 11, 2012
manny4life:

My friend STOP being STU/PID. The American Native/Indian Tribe have ancient marks.
Jeeez! man prove it! otherwise waste no more effort replying. And mind you dont show me some native paintings and dots and stuffs.
study the native Indians in the Americas quite good. please.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by AdeniyiA(m): 8:21pm On Jun 11, 2012
it means d future is inside a bottle of coca-cola,u drink d future n u now av it inside u . n wat is d future?- a coke contains abt 7 cubes of sugar,acidic n dissolves a tooth in ten days- so if u av constipation n u drink a bottle of coke, am sorry for ur intestines.ulcer is knockin @ ur door. i've stopped drinkin coke, fanta is a bit beta( once or at most twice a mth). b selective while choosin all dis bottled or canned drinks to avoid killin oursefs gradually...
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by kunlebco(m): 8:31pm On Jun 11, 2012
purefella: NOT AN INSULT!!!! IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE WAY YOU READ IT
EXAMPLE : ITS AN INSULT IF YOU THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO SAY WE DON'T WORRY ABOUT FUTURE BUT IF YOU RE-READ IT CAREFULLY THE WORD worry in that sentence clears it all Just to say that we are a very happy people that doesn't place too much on our mind .,ENGLISH NOR EASY LOLS
you must be very stupid. uttering shit like that. you are one the people that has no worry as long as there is a coke( either coca cola or cocaine) at hand abi
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by omosexy1: 8:32pm On Jun 11, 2012
chromoTop:
None of your point shows a people with such deranged thinking as Nigerians. they learn to live with their ills and build from there. the crimes you mentioned are not unusual in other continents too.
only Nigerians and a sizable chunk of Africans believe the world is against them. the world is smarter than waste resources on facts that need no
proofs
@Chromotop your post shows that you ain't Nigerian, my apologies I thought I was communicating to a fellow country man. On the other hand, Nigerians know their problems and do not think the world is against them. No, Nigerians do not share the same myopic ideologies of other poor African countries (maybe you inclusive) who believes the West is a result of their impoverish situation or is still contributing to their poor state. if you call the crime situation in South Africa normal, then you belong to the same category of people who will live side by side with a disease. While I admire a few African countries (Ghana, Rwanda, Angola, Ethiopia) who have decided to make a change for themselves, I must clearly inform you that Nigerians know their problems but is yet to get answers for them.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by chromoTop: 8:40pm On Jun 11, 2012
omosexy1: @Chromotop your post shows that you ain't Nigerian, my apologies I thought I was communicating to a fellow country man. On the other hand, Nigerians know their problems and do not think the world is against them. No, Nigerians do not share the same myopic ideologies of other poor African countries (maybe you inclusive) who believes the West is a result of their impoverish situation or is still contributing to their poor state. if you call the crime situation in South Africa normal, then you belong to the same category of people who will live side by side with a disease. While I admire a few African countries (Ghana, Rwanda, Angola, Ethiopia) who have decided to make a change for themselves, I must clearly inform you that Nigerians know their problems but is yet to get answers for them.

you think the bolded so?

you need to read the comments here over again.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by passionate88: 8:40pm On Jun 11, 2012
EXAMPLE : ITS AN INSULT IF YOU THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO SAY WE DON'T WORRY ABOUT FUTURE BUT IF YOU RE-READ IT CAREFULLY THE WORD worry in that sentence clears it all Just to say that we are a very happy people that doesn't place too much on our mind .,ENGLISH NOR EASY LOLS

Nice one
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by emmyitodo: 8:40pm On Jun 11, 2012
shadrach77: it's funny how some people suffer from selective hearing/ selecting reading. the advert talked about Western countries are getting financial bailout, how 1 in 5 European players is African. How come you didn't see any of these but all you saw was the last sentence which talks about Africans enjoying Coke?

what about this converse?
0.00000 european player out of every 1million african.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by omosexy1: 8:40pm On Jun 11, 2012
chreld_b: To all those who consider this ad an insult if the word "Africa" was substtuted for the word "America" or "Europe" would you also consider it an insult to those continents?. Yes Africa has issues likewise every other continent in the world. The political and economic situation in various geogerphic regions in the world is of secondary concern to coca cola. Their primary concern in my opinion is how they can continue to sell their products and expand worldwide. All they have done here is to highlight the point that in recent times, Africa has developed some positive attributes such as the growing telecommunications and entertainment sector and other points like the worlds most admired man (Nelson Mandela most likely) is an African e.t.c. What coca cola is trying to insinuate is simply that the "consumption of coca cola is a symbol of success and rest of mind" and by that hyping their product. Rather than insulting Africa as opined by some, to me they are only trying to associate their product with areas where Africa has succeded and excelled. As for those who have some political perspective to this what really do you expect? that coca cola should come out with an advert stating that Africa lives in abject poverty where their leaders continually loot their treasury, negatively exploit their resources and impoverish their citizens and thus they drink coke because coke is a very wonderful something. Coca cola is not a political establishment but a multinational beverage company who are out to sell products and make profits. How else can they advertise their product? This is just a case of "your damned if you do and your damned if you dont" And finally if you dont like the advert, then go for pepsi. To much nollywood movies is bad for the intellect.

Beautifully said but poorly constructed. True, Coca Cola is only attempting to sell more of their products with the advert but it has only told Africans something "You are wasted". Do I need to ask you the Corporate Social Responsibility Coca Cola is implementing in Africa, does it commensurate with the billions of dollars they are reaping off from the continent. Do you know the amount of pollution Coca Cola contributes to Africa, they destroy our environment with their production process yet they only deceive little kids to participant in Football talent shows, is that Corporate Social Responsibility? Is Coca Cola an environment friendly company, I don't think so. I am not against them selling their product (actually it is a fantastic product) but do not tell me I am ugly even though I know I am. That is what the advert is saying.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by omosexy1: 8:44pm On Jun 11, 2012
chromoTop: [/b]

you think the bolded so?

you need to read the comments here over again.
I do not need to read comments posted on Nairaland to affirm my statement. "Nigerians know their problems". It is you my friend who is yet to be convinced about that.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Sagewood: 8:48pm On Jun 11, 2012
Anyway u look at it, the advert should be edited. The bolded line have unintended meanings, innuedos and also unacceptable to the discerning mind.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:49pm On Jun 11, 2012
chromoTop:
Jeeez! man prove it! otherwise waste no more effort replying. And mind you dont show me some native paintings and dots and stuffs.
study the native Indians in the Americas quite good. please.

Crocodile scarification, Palembei, PApua New Guinea.

anyways that is not the point. As an African, am happy that this culture is so unique to us and i am proud of it! cool

[img]http://www.naijapals.com/modules/naijapals/index.php/?action=dlattach&topic=19927.0&attach=10249&image[/img]
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Nuzo1(m): 8:52pm On Jun 11, 2012
omosexy1: The advert is nothing but the hard truth. While the world is struggling to get out of a recession, Africa is not bothered about one cos they have been living in recession for years. They (Coke) forgot to mention that there are thousands of African militants and terrorists who kill million of Africans daily and then drink a coke to enjoy. They also forgot to mention about the political instability, dictators, undemocratic pretentious political leaders in Africa who subject their people to hardship only to enjoy bottles of Coke with their friends, families and LovePeddler$. I guess Coca Cola is amazed how their revenue keep surging up in Africa while the rest of the world is reducing their Coke consumption due to the recession. See how quick they were to show those dancing and to tell Africans that the only expatriates they can ever have are "Footballers" and their only export to the rest of the world is "African music". Also notice how the advert was actually shot in a desert (without animals because the animals are dead of hunger) and nothing was said about the economic situation of Africa. They are shocked that in spite of the billion issues Africa has, they are insensitive to them and will go ahead to merry and have a coke.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by chromoTop: 9:00pm On Jun 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Crocodile scarification, Palembei, PApua New Guinea.

anyways that is not the point. As an African, am happy that this culture is so unique to us and i am proud of it! cool

[img]http://www.naijapals.com/modules/naijapals/index.php/?action=dlattach&topic=19927.0&attach=10249&image[/img]
thanks wink but not body markings neither tattoo. i mean facially scarred markings like the dude down there.
be proud though.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by rastamouse: 9:03pm On Jun 11, 2012
For the sake of their own brand on the continent and beyond, I advise Coke to withdraw the ad campaign. It is very insulting...those words...
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by francis247(m): 9:12pm On Jun 11, 2012
With the unrelenting weakneness and shallowness of majority of Africans, me think this ad is on point. Smh.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by hrhobi1(m): 9:16pm On Jun 11, 2012
The Ad simply translates that while other countries are bothering themselves about what to do next, we are chilling and enjoying our coca cola . so whats insulting here? Some people for this nairaland too like igbo, they dont think and reason like normal people anymore.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by chreldb(m): 9:17pm On Jun 11, 2012
[/b][b][b][/b]
omosexy1:

Beautifully said but poorly constructed. True, Coca Cola is only attempting to sell more of their products with the advert but it has only told Africans something "You are wasted". Do I need to ask you the Corporate Social Responsibility Coca Cola is implementing in Africa, does it commensurate with the billions of dollars they are reaping off from the continent. Do you know the amount of pollution Coca Cola contributes to Africa, they destroy our environment with their production process yet they only deceive little kids to participant in Football talent shows, is that Corporate Social Responsibility? Is Coca Cola an environment friendly company, I don't think so. I am not against them selling their product (actually it is a fantastic product) but do not tell me I am ugly even though I know I am. That is what the advert is saying.

Yes I agree with you on the issue of corporate social responsibility but that is another topic of discussion on its own. However, how many corporate establishments in Africa live up to expectation both domestic and international in terms of corporate social responsibility? and like I wrote in my initial post issues like corporate social responsibility comes secondary to multi nationals like coca cola. But all that is a deviation from the point of discussion and as far as I am concerned contrary to what you think i feel the advert portrayed Africa in good light and it was a brilliant advert that could potentially make even Europeans, Americans and Asians envy Africa. My reasons are highlighted in my first post
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:22pm On Jun 11, 2012
chromoTop:
thanks wink but not body markings neither tattoo. i mean facially scarred markings like the dude down there.
be proud though.

ok i agree that i dont know any tribe who actually does that though i have a feeling some South-east Asian tribes in the Malay Archipelagos might be doing that.

Anyways if it is completely unique to us, even better, and yes i am Proud. smiley
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by greenhope(m): 9:28pm On Jun 11, 2012
Where is our re-branding manager who spent million dollars designing logo?
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by guonno: 9:29pm On Jun 11, 2012
coke?
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by SNCOQ3(m): 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2012
If flattery is an insult, then the advert is an insult; Otherwise, no yawa at all.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by guonno: 9:36pm On Jun 11, 2012
[size=18pt] coke[/size]
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by guonno: 9:38pm On Jun 11, 2012
[size=24pt] coke[/size]
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Copiousworld: 9:39pm On Jun 11, 2012
[b]@ omosexy1[/b] Where did you grow up from and in what Uni did you graduate? Please u sure need return to sch. Whats your bleat with the house? No one is fighting with you, your points, illustrations & examples are baseless, unsupported, unfounded, groundless and very immature, the advert has got nothing to do with the present calamities or misery in Nigeria. These problems has been even before you and i were born. The advert is only testifying that Africans are happy people and coca cola is a symbol of happiness, its has no connection with us not been able to think about and build our future.. Come on....peace.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by ZUBY77(m): 9:43pm On Jun 11, 2012
I just gave u coca cola
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by azimibraun: 9:43pm On Jun 11, 2012
Am goin 2 go on zobo and kunu strike for a month and coke wll hv me for a month. Hell dis Ad is jst reping d dark continent 2 da fullest. Coca cola Agba! Dt is tank u in Igala. Gbam! Soul lifting pride giving advert. Am proud 2 b a mudar f ing black man.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by crackhouse(m): 9:47pm On Jun 11, 2012
happy abt what? Others are worrying & thinking abt the future and we are happy sharing & drinking coke, right?. Even the coke itself is not our own product, it wasn't invented by African{s}. What do we own that will make us to be happy? While others are busy thinking of how to better the lives of mankind, we are busy drinking seven cubes of sugar and now u want to tell me it's not an insult. Wake up my friend, it shows we don't face challenges.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by azimibraun: 9:51pm On Jun 11, 2012
Agba! coca cola... Africa salutes. U!
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by agbola(m): 10:01pm On Jun 11, 2012
Please where is the insult in this... ur judgements on this blog are just like those burning and killing witches because the Bible says "Every witch must die".. Learn to read things within their context.. jobless twats

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bbnaija: Nina Ends Her Relationship With Miracle In Tears / Pictures Of Zack Orji, Segun Arinze, Ibinabo Fiberesima On Set Of 'Mary Slessor' / BBNaija Tega: I Have Spoken To My Husband & We Are Good

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.