Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,284 members, 7,815,480 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans - TV/Movies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans (37531 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / Coca Cola Advert 1987 / Brrr; The Coca Cola Advert! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Wislet(f): 7:56am On Jun 12, 2012
WE WILL STOP FEELING THREATENED WHEN SOME STATEMENTS ARE MADE CONCERNING AFRICA @ THE EXACT TIME WHEN WE QUIT HAVING INFERIORITY COMPLEX ABOUT US AS A PEOPLE AND AFRICA AS A WHOLE.
DO NOT ALLOW STATEMENTS BY OTHERS THREATEN YOU. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO LAUGH AT THEM INSTEAD, AND BEAT UR CHEST THAT YOU ARE WORTH FAR MUCH MORE THAN THEIR PREJUDICED VIEWS OF YOU.
PERSONALLY, I DO NOT SEE THAT STATEMENT AS AN INSULT.
E.g. Let's say COKE depicts CELEBRATION.
While the rest of the world is busy suffering under the yoke of hardship and worrying about things they have little control over, Africans have learnt to TAKE THINGS IN STRIDE AND CELEBRATE LIFE.
Let us stop this negative complex. You are a people of pride Africa!! Celebrate yourselves.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by NosaHenry(m): 8:22am On Jun 12, 2012
I think the sense in the advert is that Africa future is already assured, given the enormous resources we have. We have no choice than to sit back and enjoy. After all most of the current crises in other parts of the world are not affecting Africa.
We should always see the positive sides of comments. More so, no producer will willingly want to use advert to insult consumers.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by redsun(m): 8:22am On Jun 12, 2012
Coke is not a drink to celebrate with. It is poisonous. It silently kills ignorant people in numbers as a resut of its high sugar and caffeine (gbana)contents.

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by tayoTFC(m): 9:34am On Jun 12, 2012
the advert show how great africa his....great work cocacola for the PR......
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by yemaat2000: 9:47am On Jun 12, 2012
@post, while note outline all the lines in the advert, that is the only way the statement would make sense and not seen as insult

'There are billion reasons to believe in Africa'
'While the world shakes and stumbles...Africa dances to a different beat' Now here are what Africans dance to based on the advert
'For every bank bailed out ... 2 million Africans send money back home'
'1 in 5 European Club Players is African... and millions more are ready to shine'
'As Authorities try to tame the Internet... Africa becomes the most mobile-connected place on the planet'
'For Every international band trying to sell a song...5000 African ban[b][/b][b][/b][i][/i]ds go live'
'The world's most admired man is African...and so is the most beautiful woman'
'While the world turns grey...we live in life in full colour'

Assuming those achievements are true, it is believe Africans should celebrate hence
'While the world worries about the future...1 Billion Africans are sharing a Coke'

Let us stop being unnecessarily sentimental.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Jamesqu(m): 10:10am On Jun 12, 2012
The advert was very very okay.....until that not well thought out line at the end....it makes it even seem we are just a continent going with the wind, no stability nor direction!
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by iyatrustee(f): 11:19am On Jun 12, 2012
i saw the advert with my hubby one day and i was pissed off trully! africans drinking away while the world worries about the future? WTF!
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by ochiaha1(m): 11:38am On Jun 12, 2012
Yea, I have watched the Advert a couple of times and it actually portrays Africans as lacking in intellectual depth and foresight and only pre-occupied with the present and merry-making. angry

Sadly, the Said Advert portrays the way the western world view Africa and Africans because I remember a World Future Seminar- Year 2050, that was held in year 2000 in Australia and was reported by TIME Magazine. China and the South-East Asian Tigers were touted to be the economies of the Future, while the European Union was listed as the next in line after China and the South-East Asian Countries.

A Nigerian Journalist who attended the Seminar, (as narrated in a guest column, I think in the Guardian Newspaper of Nigeria) asked the organisers of the seminar why a single word was not said about Africa. The Organisers of the Seminar replied:'Frankly speaking, we do not expect any new or important economic development or achievement to come out from Africa'.angry

We are in Year 2012, already, were the organisers right in their assessment of Africa? Time will tell.sad
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Nobody: 11:45am On Jun 12, 2012
Jenams: Sharin a coke simply denotes celebration of success! I̶̲̥̅̊n other words, While †ЂΞ rest of †ЂΞ world worry abt future success, africans are celebratin success. Τ̅o ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥, ∂α† Is †ЂΞ message they r tryin τ̅o pass.
hey hey, what success are Africans celebrating?
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Sagamite(m): 12:43pm On Jun 12, 2012
finallytalking: Has anyone seen the new coca cola advert?
I think coca cola should re-edit the text in their latest promotional advert. There is a very insensitive line there:
'WHILE THE REST OF THE WORLD WORRIES ABOUT THE FUTURE, ONE BILLION AFRICANS ARE SHARING COKE'.
Am i the only one who thinks this is a put down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdXvgrraezE

No!

You are just one of the reetarded fucktards with a chip on his shoulder.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by tmontee: 1:16pm On Jun 12, 2012
Perhaps it may interest you all to know that this version of the advert is only aired in Africa. It's a market strategy to make us feel good and increase consumption. Purely busines!
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by shadrach77: 1:43pm On Jun 12, 2012
FACTS ABOUT THE VIDEO: Just so that you know, the video was produced Produced by Dara McClatchie, Directed by Brian Williams Director of Photography was Simon Walsh. It was shot in South Africa by a production company known as Big Fish Ltd. The man singing in the video is Steve Kekana, a blind South African singer who is sometimes reffered to as 'South Africa's Stevie Wonder'. The song 'I love you Africa' was a remix of one of his old tunes released in the 80s. Kekana was contracted by Coca Cola to be part of their '1 Billion Reasosns to Love Africa' campaign. It was produced by Sounds and Pictures Ltd. smiley smiley smiley
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by otele(m): 1:48pm On Jun 12, 2012
walcolm:

when that Sony advert came up, Dora Akinyuli made Sony apologize and the advert was pulled officially by Sony.

i think the coca cola advert needs to go the same way. it doesn't matter what arguments anybody puts up, Coca cola is not an African brand, they are a world wide brand. so singling out africa as the only continent that is not concerned about the future is not fair.

it is not fair to the hardworking men and women who are struggling under inept and corrupt leadership to make something out of nothing.
it is not fair on the millions of graduates walking the streets looking for non-existent jobs and not able to self employ due to lack of access to start up capital
it is not fair to the farmers working with inadequate tools to till the ground and grow food they have to transport hundreds of kilometers to get a market for

it really is not fair to ourselves to say Coca cola has not done anything wrong by this advert

You make valid points. Only problem is that you still don't realize that this world is not a fair place. And worse still, capitalism is ruthless. We decieve ourselves waiting for people to treat us fairly. We must assert our fair share by any means necessary. Sometimes, perhaps most times, people would ride on you if they have to. The black race has to stand up on its feet or else we will remain the oppressed race for another 1000yrs.

Look at the occupy movement for instance, this is a situation where people rose up against retrogressive leadership. At great cost. Lives were lost. In Nigeria the movement didn't last. Sooner than later the leaders of the movement met with the national leaders and the movement ended without achieving its goal. And this means that the people remain powerless. But compare to the Arab nature of "kill me if you like but I no go gree" attitude. I'm trying to let you guys understand how blacks are viewed by the rest of the world and how we make it Ben better for them to view us that way.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Jeezy: 2:42pm On Jun 12, 2012
I think the advert was referring to the simplicity of life in Africa....I dont think this is an insult.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by uhuns: 2:52pm On Jun 12, 2012
I hail those that will be happy and drink their future away.

And to the guys that can read

If you want to hide anythin from a black man then put it in prints

The advert is clear that we always eat our future away____but its true

To me its either you are laughing at me or want to brew the arab spring I.e the african spring stuff

By telling me that my leaders are busy mortgaging my future and am here celebrating today

Note when you say deplomacy you mean you have good cover if backfired.
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by vanminister: 4:17pm On Jun 12, 2012
THE PROPOSER OF THIS ARGUEMENT LEFT SCHOOL A LONG TIME AGO, SO I DONT BLAME HIM FOR MISUNDERSTANDING THE ADVERT!!!

YOU ALSO SEEM TO CARRY YOUR HEART ON YOUR SLEEVE!
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Realtym(f): 10:39am On Jun 13, 2012
kombats: dnt see anything bad in it we africa think so low

Yep! U are fyn example of a typical African since "u can't c anything bad in it". Mtcheewww
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Realtym(f): 10:45am On Jun 13, 2012
shadrach77: FACTS ABOUT THE VIDEO: Just so that you know, the video was produced Produced by Dara McClatchie, Directed by Brian Williams Director of Photography was Simon Walsh. It was shot in South Africa by a production company known as Big Fish Ltd. The man singing in the video is Steve Kekana, a blind South African singer who is sometimes reffered to as 'South Africa's Stevie Wonder'. The song 'I love you Africa' was a remix of one of his old tunes released in the 80s. Kekana was contracted by Coca Cola to be part of their '1 Billion Reasosns to Love Africa' campaign. It was produced by Sounds and Pictures Ltd. smiley smiley smiley
Soooo Wooot Is dat enuf reason 2 insult or stereotype Africans Dis is jst anoda KOLOMENTALITY siege if peeps can't c dat d world cares no less if Africa can't keep up or follow right 4 dat matter. Wetin, person dey insult u in sugarcoated language, u dey smile. wetin u b??

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by Hottestbuoy(m): 10:49am On Jun 13, 2012
What a'Bleep!! Mehn!!! Dont we hv Requlators in ds coun3?is it that they hv all bin bribe wch i would not be surprised at all..qosh!! This advert really sucks 4 shezzzy
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by ayorins(m): 4:05pm On Jun 16, 2012
[size=8pt]lol. proudly AFRICA[/size] grin cool smiley wink tongue
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by otele(m): 3:36pm On Jun 29, 2012
Hottestbuoy: What a'Bleep!! Mehn!!! Dont we hv Requlators in ds coun3?is it that they hv all bin bribe wch i would not be surprised at all..qosh!! This advert really sucks 4 shezzzy
yep, they took the bribe. and now they are using the bribe money to drink away their time while the rest of the world moves on

so now, what'you gonna do?
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by silvervic: 7:11pm On Jul 02, 2012
they needed attention and they just got it from you, cause as u read this you will want another battle of coke to know why 1billion Africa should share it. pls guys the cake advert is based on COMIC RELIEVE
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by kobikwelu(m): 7:50pm On Aug 04, 2012
i still dont see anything wrong with this advert
Re: Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans by comondvo: 4:05pm On Aug 31, 2012
If enough people clicked "like" on the page whose link appears below, do you think big coca cola would listen?
https://www.facebook.com/IDontLikeThatCokeAdvert

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pictures Of Zack Orji, Segun Arinze, Ibinabo Fiberesima On Set Of 'Mary Slessor' / BBNaija Tega: I Have Spoken To My Husband & We Are Good / Profile Of Beauty, BBNaija Season 7 Housemate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.