Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Will You Marry An Atheist? - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will You Marry An Atheist? (28075 Views)

Can U Marry An Atheist??? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by ghostofsparta(m): 4:08am On Jun 16, 2012
Everyone that has ever commented on this otherwise derailed thread knows nothing of what they think they know of. Shymmex talking about Ifa totally got it wrong. Even i who was brought up in it still find it difficult to define in English. Its too wide and extensive. Shymmex narrowing it down to spirituality is just a tip of it. IFA is beyond that...wana tok about spirituality u r bera off wit astral or yoga BS.

Anyway, em...let see our hall of fame before I st@ replying y'all

ATHEIST
Sauer
Logic Mind
Logic Boy

ANTI-ATHEIST/ IFA ENTHUSIAST
Shymmex

RATIONALISTS/FREE THINKER/ATHEIST SYMPATHIZERS
emofine2
Queensmith
michellin89

RELIGIONISTS (THEISTS)
Goldieluks
Cowgurl
Shollypopz

NEO-PAGAN DEIST / HENOTHEISTS / ATHEIST
Ghostofsparta

If u feel wrongfully misplaced, please state and give reason

Lol!

Yeee! 4:04am....off to sleep
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:09am On Jun 16, 2012

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Orikinla(m): 6:14am On Jun 16, 2012
To the atheist and to the one who truly believes as well. For the glory and the glory of JEHOVAH God alone in the mighty name of our Lord and Messiah Jesus Christ, may the Blessings of Psalm 118 be fulfilled in the life and family of every one who will read this. Our Lord and God of Hosts who dwells in heaven will surely bless you, favour you and prosper you wherever you may be and wherever you may go. And so shall it be fulfilled as long as Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. Arise and shine!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by crackhouse(m): 6:48am On Jun 16, 2012
Logic Mind:

Nope. Already got loads but Naija babes are the most jesus-freak of all.
Mind ur words, young man.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by crackhouse(m): 6:56am On Jun 16, 2012
Logic Mind:

My wife used to talk like that. Then I became an atheist. Today she is a converted atheist.
People change.
No, people don't change like that. It's people that make people change and in this case, u made ur wife change. Maybe forcefully.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by crackhouse(m): 7:07am On Jun 16, 2012
Thugnificent: So if Mark Zuckerberg (a well known atheist) with a current net worth of over $15 billion proposes to you, will you still remember dat ur bible?
first of all, Mark Zuckerberg is not worth up to $4b let alone $15b. So mind ur figure. Secondly, Mark is not an aetheist, i don't know where u guys get such stupid facts. U just coined a baseless fact and start selling it to people that care to buy. Is" Mark" not a christian name? And why did he do wedding if he's an atheist, because with the wedding, it shows he believe in God's words.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by emofine2(f): 7:35am On Jun 16, 2012
ghostofsparta:

If the capabilities of Eshu or Ogun was proven to you, would you still think they don't exist ? ofcourse not in our dimension or realm of existence.

I believe you took what I said out of context. My indifference isn't fixed or based on the subjective experience of these presented gods (their existence); faith to me is sacrosanct so I would not intentionally mock or disqualify another person’s faith because it doesn't register with my experience or reality (but out of curiosity I will generally ask questions).

My indifference to the presented gods of the various brands is due to my lack of faith in them and my non-inclination towards them – I have no loyalty or affection to any of them - so if the capabilities of certain gods was proven to me in order to validate their existence to me...well it would be futile as I have already underlined where my apathy really comes from.

This mostly arises from my bewilderment as to why god should be partial to particular groups/individuals based on heritage(involuntary) or allegiance(ingratiating) whilst at the same time being credited for creating the whole universe and all its inhabitants. Thus I’m left wondering that the presented god(s) is either biased and/or many have claimed ownership over god(s).

And just for the record I would never encourage anyone to prove their god to me because it’s largely personal.

And I reiterate...I am not an atheist - I only used such language within a context to explain my position towards religion and its governing deities.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Turbocharged: 7:49am On Jun 16, 2012
He is an abomination before God. The bible call him a f.oo.l.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by ghostofsparta(m): 7:56am On Jun 16, 2012
emöfine2:

I believe you took what I said out of context. My indifference isn't fixed or based on the subjective experience of these presented gods (their existence); faith to me is sacrosanct so I would not intentionally mock or disqualify another person’s faith because it doesn't register with my experience or reality (but out of curiosity I will generally ask questions).

My indifference to the presented gods of the various brands is due to my lack of faith in them and my non-inclination towards them – I have no loyalty or affection to any of them - so if the capabilities of certain gods was proven to me in order to validate their existence to me...well it would be futile as I have already underlined where my apathy really comes from.

This mostly arises from my bewilderment as to why god should be partial to particular groups/individuals based on heritage(involuntary) or allegiance(ingratiating) whilst at the same time being credited for creating the whole universe and all its inhabitants. Thus I’m left wondering that the presented god(s) is either biased and/or many have claimed ownership over god(s).

And just for the record I would never encourage anyone to prove their god to me because it’s largely personal.

And I reiterate...I am not an atheist - I only used such language within a context to explain my position towards religion and its governing deities.

Seriously I can't grasp your constructions.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Dermie: 8:13am On Jun 16, 2012
Dyt:

abt who den?
wetin naw, leave dis guy...u want dude? undecided
Dyt:

abt who den?
wetin naw, leave dis guy...u want dude?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Goldieluks: 8:13am On Jun 16, 2012
@ghostofsparta, tagging me as a religonist is not a bad move by you. In fact
I can bodly put on that amour. I Love God and I Love the teachings of the Bible.
I Love my parents for instilling God in me, and I am a proud christain at heart.

Whatever you believe in or serve is your very own destination.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by emofine2(f): 8:25am On Jun 16, 2012
ghostofsparta:

Seriously I can't grasp your constructions.

Ah ok. Now I understand why you never grasped my earlier comment you initially replied to.

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 2good(m): 8:25am On Jun 16, 2012
crackhouse: first of all, Mark Zuckerberg is not worth up to $4b let alone $15b. So mind ur figure. Secondly, Mark is not an aetheist, i don't know where u guys get such stupid facts. U just coined a baseless fact and start selling it to people that care to buy. Is" Mark" not a christian name? And why did he do wedding if he's an atheist, because with the wedding, it shows he believe in God's words.

Do you do general reading at all? Try to be do some research before you type anything on your keyboard. For the financial worth of Mark Zuckerberg, click this link http://www.forbes.com/profile/mark-zuckerberg/
He was born a Jew but dropped his Jewish religion to be an Atheist. If you watch the roots where 'Kunta kinte's' name was forcefully change to Tobi, you will understand that your name is not always a true reflection of what it means.
Is like most of you religious people only read the bible. The world is a bigger, more complex and interesting place than you all think. The internet is a place to learn new things so use it wisely.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 2good(m): 8:27am On Jun 16, 2012
Turbocharged: He is an abomination before God. The bible call him a f.oo.l.

The bible called him fool because the bible is BULLSHIT!!!!!!
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jun 16, 2012
ghostofsparta: Everyone that has ever commented on this otherwise derailed thread knows nothing of what they think they know of. Shymmex talking about Ifa totally got it wrong. Even i who was brought up in it still find it difficult to define in English. Its too wide and extensive. Shymmex narrowing it down to spirituality is just a tip of it. IFA is beyond that...wana tok about spirituality u r bera off wit astral or yoga BS.

Anyway, em...let see our hall of fame before I st@ replying y'all

ATHEIST
Sauer
Logic Mind
Logic Boy

ANTI-ATHEIST/ IFA ENTHUSIAST
Shymmex

RATIONALISTS/FREE THINKER/ATHEIST SYMPATHIZERS
emofine2
Queensmith
michellin89

RELIGIONISTS (THEISTS)
Goldieluks
Cowgurl
Shollypopz

NEO-PAGAN DEIST / HENOTHEISTS / ATHEIST
Ghostofsparta

If u feel wrongfully misplaced, please state and give reason

Lol!

Yeee! 4:04am....off to sleep

Okay, How do I categorize myself.

I seek religion only when I need it. I still question God's existence, or even if there's a super being. I feel like I should believe and often fears the repercussions of my doubt.

On a typical day, I have to be reminded of "God" because I often forget or I choose not to care. I prefer to see things in a more realistic and a less religious perspective. I mean, the bible is heavily leaded with contradictions and was written by man for man of that particular period.

However, I still acknowledge that there may be a God.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Sweetlemon(f): 8:38am On Jun 16, 2012
I can see people here avoided the question I asked earlier. And I ask again. For those of us who call God our father, Can you marry someone who does not recognize, respect, or value someone you call your father?? Can you marry someone who disrespects your father so much that he spells his name with small letter "g", calls him a hoax or a nonentity. Will you marry someone who puts your father down in public? Would you?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Goldieluks: 8:47am On Jun 16, 2012
2good:

The bible called him fool because the bible is BULLSHIT!!!!!!

That's not true. The Bible is a guideline for humanity to learn and have a place to call home (God's Kingdom)
Don't allow your ignorance deprived you off the great promises of God.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by ghostofsparta(m): 8:53am On Jun 16, 2012
Sweetlemon: I can see people here avoided the question I asked earlier. And I ask again. For those of us who call God our father, Can you marry someone who does not recognize, respect, or value someone you call your father?? Can you marry someone who disrespects your father so much that he spells his name with small letter "g", calls him a hoax or a nonentity. Will you marry someone who puts your father down in public? Would you?

No religuonist would do that?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 2good(m): 8:56am On Jun 16, 2012
Sweetlemon: I can see people here avoided the question I asked earlier. And I ask again. For those of us who call God our father, Can you marry someone who does not recognize, respect, or value someone you call your father?? Can you marry someone who disrespects your father so much that he spells his name with small letter "g", calls him a hoax or a nonentity. Will you marry someone who puts your father down in public? Would you?

Have you taken time to study other religions to know that your god is just one of the thousands of gods out there? Stop presenting your god like you can prove his existence. And also, I can't prove your god doesn't exist in thesame way I can't prove other gods doesn't exist so don't ask me that question. Furthermore, if you want people to give your god a special place then you must prove he exist.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by ghostofsparta(m): 8:56am On Jun 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I seek religion only when I need it. I still question God's existence, or even if there's a super being. I feel like I should believe and often fears the repercussions of my doubt.

On a typical day, I have to be reminded of "God" because I often forget or I choose not to care. I prefer to see things in a more realistic and a less religious perspective. I mean, the bible is heavily leaded with contradictions and was written by man for man of that particular period.

Belive in what is evidential/provable. There is only one true God, not Yaweh, not Allah, those are for the semites whom millions have died on. Believe in OLODUMARE aka AWAMARIDI. It gave us the knowledge of ewe and egbo, it gave us various deities to address each department of life and specific ori. I assume you are Yoruba so do more research about Ifa.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:58am On Jun 16, 2012
ghostofsparta:

Belive in what is evidential/provable. There is only one true God, not Yaweh, not Allah, those are for the semites whom millions have died on. Believe in OLODUMARE aka AWAMARIDI. It gave us the knowledge of ewe and egbo, it gave us various deities to address each department of life and specific ori. I assume you are Yoruba so do more research about Ifa.

The thing about religion is that we often need a book to guide our daily actions, to prepare us for whatever is to come.

I like to not be a "sheep", I like to take my own steps and to act based on the situation. Yet how am I to know what to do to insure my place in wherever afterlife is? Even good morals may not be enough.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 2good(m): 9:00am On Jun 16, 2012
Goldieluks:

That's not true. The Bible is a guideline for humanity to learn and have a place to call home (God's Kingdom)
Don't allow your ignorance deprived you off the great promises of God.

You call me ignorant for refusing to believe what I was forced to accept as a child? You have brain to reason so i'll advice you to use it. What if I tell you that the Jewish Torah or the Quran is the true book of god and not the bible what would you say? Your parent and family indoctrinated you to believe what you believe so stop talking like you have absolute fact to buttress your believes.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by Goldieluks: 9:06am On Jun 16, 2012
2good:

You call me ignorant for refusing to believe what I was forced to accept as a child? You have brain to reason so i'll advice you to use it. What if I tell you that the Jewish Torah or the Quran is the true book of god and not the bible what would you say? Your parent and family indoctrinated you to believe what you believe so stop talking like you have absolute fact to buttress your believes.

Right my parents instilled christainity in me,and I have searched the book myself and
my conscience agrees with the 'word'. So what are we talking about here? Go ahead and do
whatever your conscience agrees with and stop sounding as if one is being brain washed.
However, it is wrong for you to say the bible is 'bull###' just cause you do not believe in it.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by LogicMind: 9:11am On Jun 16, 2012
crackhouse: first of all, Mark Zuckerberg is not worth up to $4b let alone $15b. So mind ur figure. Secondly, Mark is not an aetheist, i don't know where u guys get such stupid facts. U just coined a baseless fact and start selling it to people that care to buy. Is" Mark" not a christian name? And why did he do wedding if he's an atheist, because with the wedding, it shows he believe in God's words.

so after calling me a young man, you came up with this garbage.
smh.
1- the point is not how much he is worth
2- having a jewish name doesn't make you a christian
3- marriage is not exclusive to religious people
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by alpontif(m): 9:14am On Jun 16, 2012
An investment banker will always bet on God existing. what does he have to loose if he doesn't exist?....nothing. What does he have to GAIN if he DOES EXIST?.. a lot,...so an investment banker will hedge this risk....at the end of the day, he comes out a winner IF HE LIVES ACCORDING TO God's laws. Both ways our investment banker wins.

To the atheists in the house, we all know how to use our brains, we all know how to carry out logical analysis and form inferences and deductions based on established premises, what we all don't know how to do is predict what will happen tomorrow with 100% accuracy. It makes sense to protect yourself against what you cannot evaluate. What do you have to loose if You believe God exists and he doesn't? ; worst case scenario you will die permanently,decay and become an organic fertilizer for plant life. That is where it ends. Now what do you have to gain if you believe God doesn't exist..aside from a sense of your own intellectual superiority over your peers in being able to see things ''objectively''..you have nothing to gain, when you die, according to your mindset, you will die permanently and cease to exist in any form whatsoever. But what if God exists? what will you have to loose?: you will loose eternal life, eternal bliss, eternal joy.,and what will you gain? HELL. Will YOU be aware of anything if YOU die permanently?....nope.Will YOU be aware of things if the Christians turn out to be right ? yes, in hell. It is better to err on the side of safety.

We are not all certain, that is why we call it FAITH. it is better to bet on faith and die permanently if God doesn't exist, than to bet against faith and live permanently in hell if it turns out that GOD actually exists.

And that is just looking at the God question from a strictly logical point.

I will like to discuss the spiritual realities of God's power, but logicians do no believe in this and it wouldn't make sense to shine the light to a blind man.

Let us now view the God question from a philosophical angle..will it be in the best interest of man to create a God and Satan concept in order to regulate a world populated by men who are driven by bestial instincts....?..yes. even if God doesn't exist, he needs to be created...

Atheist believe my previous statement is the reason why Humans believe in a God.

Do what works for you, but always hedge your investments.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 2good(m): 9:15am On Jun 16, 2012
Goldieluks:

Right my parents instilled christainity in me,and I have searched the book myself and
my conscience agrees with the 'word'. So what are we talking about here? Go ahead and do
whatever your conscience agrees with and stop sounding as if one is being brain washed.
However, it is wrong for you to say the bible is 'bull###' just cause you do not believe in it.

Why I agree that it is wrong for me to say the bible is bullshit, I also know it is very wrong for religious people to quote from the bible and call me fool because I refuse to accept their god. If Christianity is practiced without labelling non believers with bad names, people will not be so bothered. But you guys are very much like the muslims except the muslims go way further in making sure that people either accept it or be damned. That is very wrong. I strongly believe that the bible need a strong revision to cope with the way of life of the modern times
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by LogicMind: 9:22am On Jun 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

you are suffering from withdrawal symptoms. we all went through it. it is very tough to let go of a belief you have held since childhood. the body reacts against it. the mind goes into a turmoil and the brain becomes confused.
however, if you persist in seeking knowledge and the truth, you will one day, come to the absolute certainty that there is no god.
And that, my sister, is when your life begins.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by alpontif(m): 9:25am On Jun 16, 2012
Let me also state,for those who want to believe, that the most important thing is to believe in God, and the law of karma, and the law of love. Every other addition na packaging.On a more spiritual level,Because I am a christian, I will add belief in the spiritual power in Jesus Christ's name to the list. Just follow these concepts, do not confuse yourself with religious propaganda and rituals found in Christianity or contradictions in the bible.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by queensmith: 9:29am On Jun 16, 2012
Logic Mind:

you are suffering from withdrawal symptoms. we all went through it. it is very tough to let go of a belief you have held since childhood. the body reacts against it. the mind goes into a turmoil and the brain becomes confused.
however, if you persist in seeking knowledge and the truth, you will one day, come to the absolute certainty that there is no god.
And that, my sister, is when your life begins.

militant atheists in the house.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by LogicMind: 9:55am On Jun 16, 2012
alpontif: An investment banker will always bet on God existing. what does he have to loose if he doesn't exist?....nothing. What does he have to GAIN if he DOES EXIST?.. a lot,...so an investment banker will hedge this risk....at the end of the day, he comes out a winner IF HE LIVES ACCORDING TO God's laws. Both ways our investment banker wins.

To the atheists in the house, we all know how to use our brains, we all know how to carry out logical analysis and form inferences and deductions based on established premises, what we all don't know how to do is predict what will happen tomorrow with 100% accuracy. It makes sense to protect yourself against what you cannot evaluate. What do you have to loose if You believe God exists and he doesn't? ; worst case scenario you will die permanently,decay and become an organic fertilizer for plant life. That is where it ends. Now what do you have to gain if you believe God doesn't exist..aside from a sense of your own intellectual superiority over your peers in being able to see things ''objectively''..you have nothing to gain, when you die, according to your mindset, you will die permanently and cease to exist in any form whatsoever. But what if God exists? what will you have to loose?: you will loose eternal life, eternal bliss, eternal joy.,and what will you gain? HELL. Will YOU be aware of anything if YOU die permanently?....nope.Will YOU be aware of things if the Christians turn out to be right ? yes, in hell. It is better to err on the side of safety.

We are not all certain, that is why we call it FAITH. it is better to bet on faith and die permanently if God doesn't exist, than to bet against faith and live permanently in hell if it turns out that GOD actually exists.

And that is just looking at the God question from a strictly logical point.

I will like to discuss the spiritual realities of God's power, but logicians do no believe in this and it wouldn't make sense to shine the light to a blind man.

Let us now view the God question from a philosophical angle..will it be in the best interest of man to create a God and Satan concept in order to regulate a world populated by men who are driven by bestial instincts....?..yes. even if God doesn't exist, he needs to be created...

Atheist believe my previous statement is the reason why Humans believe in a God.

Do what works for you, but always hedge your investments.

Typical.
Your belief is based on FEAR of the unknown.
I once reasoned like you untile I widened my scope and shed my life of fear.
Have you actually considered this concept of hell? Almost anything you put in fire will burn and melt or turn to ashes or evaporate etc. Nothing lasts forever in fire.
Have you considered the concept of eternity in heaven? Try to do one thing that pleases you over and over again for a few hours, then think of doing that non-stop.

Anyway, take your Pascal's Wager to the gullible and feeble minded. Life's too short to waste thinking about a cowardly hiding god.
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by 401kk: 10:06am On Jun 16, 2012
shymmex:

If there is no evidence, will there be a 'direction' in the first place? The truth is that we can't take the God concept away from everything we do.. It's basically the essence of our presence on this planet.. Our conscience and intuition guide everything we do - that's where the supernatural realm takes place..

What is conscience?
Re: Will You Marry An Atheist? by alpontif(m): 10:17am On Jun 16, 2012
Logic Mind:

Typical.
Your belief is based on FEAR of the unknown.
I once reasoned like you untile I widened my scope and shed my life of fear.
Have you actually considered this concept of hell? Almost anything you put in fire will burn and melt or turn to ashes or evaporate etc. Nothing lasts forever in fire.
Have you considered the concept of eternity in heaven? Try to do one thing that pleases you over and over again for a few hours, then think of doing that non-stop.

Anyway, take your Pascal's Wager to the gullible and feeble minded. Life's too short to waste thinking about a cowardly hiding god.

It is always smart to fear what you don't know, something you cant encompass, or fathom. That is how I hedge my bets. Do what works for you. At the end of the day, the intelligent and quick-minded will meet the same end that the gullible and feeble minded will meet.DEATH. It is what happens, or what doesn't happen after this that will portray who was really smart and who was the fool, and since we are not exactly sure of that logic-wise, it is advisable to hedge your interest, so that in either outcome you come out a winner.

There is a lot of wisdom in deliberate folly.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Olumba Obu: 8-year Tenure For Buhari / Orimiri Jordan In Enugu, Heals Mad Man / Reopening Of Churches & Mosques In Abuja: FCTA Releases Guidelines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.