Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,698 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? (4985 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Effects Of Divorce On A Woman..Men Take Note / Why This Rise In Marriage Failure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Frankies(m): 10:45am On Nov 29, 2007
ifyalways:

because peole marry for the wrong reason.
because naija babes are becoming enlightened .
because people marry the wrong people for wrong reasons.
because divorce is an option when things get irredeemable.
because its better to be alive and divorced than married in your coffin.

Ify well stated.You forgot to add that others divorce because they are sluts and hid things from their hubby.

*wondering which of the reasons caused that pathetic loser 's divorce*
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Frankies(m): 10:47am On Nov 29, 2007
@ almondjoy

Can you tell us your own reason please. The great land wants to know. Idiot
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 29, 2007
Divorce is on d increase these days b/c we are geeting married 4 all d wrong reasons-beauty,MONEY, MONEY,MONEY! ,AGE, JOB, FEAR, etc.
i prefer d traditional african marriage not what we have this days.

how can a couple choose divorce immediate after wedding, 3days, iwk, 1month, 3mnths, 1year,etc.Meanwhile on dr wedding day , dy were all smiles.It is beeeetter 2 b single rather dn taste marriage then divorce.
a friend married a lady b/c he saw prospects in her n planted her in CBN while he is in an old generation bank so dt he can use her 2 maximize his selfish ambition, getting 2 where he cant get thr her .he spent millions, getting d wedding gown from paris-custom made, etc.it was indeed a society wedding but it ended even b4 d wedding n d marriage was not consumated after d wedding till date . d babe dey abj, d guy dey lagos n till date is not married b/c he has refused 2 work on himself first .2 him every thing is NAIRA N KOBO, FAME, etc.she played along with him n dumped him.
u dont marry b/c u want 2 use someone u feel has what u need 2 achieve selfish ambition.NO!!!!!!

MARRY 4 D PURPOSE OF MARRIAGE N UR LIFE WILL NEVER B D SAME AGAIN.God planned it 2 b blisssssssssss n so b it abeg.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 2:36pm On Nov 29, 2007
Frankies:

@ almondjoy

Can you tell us your own reason please. The great land wants to know. Idiot

I already gave my reasons you cork-sucking twit! Because little boys like you keep digging holes in your matresses since that is the size you shrivelled dickey can conform to! Your she-goat of a wife has no other choice but to kick out your retared peforated arse , out of you thatch roofed hut ---so you can keep sucking abunnas in dilapidated molues for a "small fee"! Or to give you the absolute freedom to masturbate till the genital warts on the tip of your "wanka" are all burned off!

OLODO! Useless cork sucking male LovePeddler!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Frankies(m): 3:31pm On Nov 29, 2007
almondjoy:

I already gave my reasons you cork-sucking twit! Because little boys like you keep digging holes in your matresses since that is the size you shrivelled dickey can conform to! Your she-goat of a wife has no other choice but to kick out your retared peforated arse , out of you thatch roofed hut ---so you can keep sucking abunnas in dilapidated molues for a "small fee"! Or to give you the absolute freedom to masturbate till the genital warts on the tip of your "wanka" are all burned off!

OLODO! Useless cork sucking male LovePeddler!

Senselessness at work again. Can you come back old fool. Couldnt make out anything from your post.
I suppose I should have some sympathy for your handicap. You are obviously paralyzed from the neck up to your brain.

Clearly, the full area of your ignorance is hereby identified. We are presently only exploring the fringes of that vast expanse.

Reading your post makes blindness a wonderful thing to look forward to.

Idiot
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 3:40pm On Nov 29, 2007
As long as the reason is reasonable I have no problem with divorce.

I like how people are crying about the western world and blaming it for their so called downfall in marriage. These are the same tarts whining about the president not wearing suits at international functions. You people are pitiful.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 3:42pm On Nov 29, 2007
Frankies:

Senselessness at work again. Can you come back old fool. Couldnt make out anything from your post.
I suppose I should have some sympathy for your handicap. You are obviously paralyzed from the neck up to your brain.

Clearly, the full area of your ignorance is hereby identified. We are presently only exploring the fringes of that vast expanse.

Reading your post makes blindness a wonderful thing to look forward to.

Idiot

I say go and get a job!  Stop allowing your wife to feed you when you masturbate in front of your key board looking for customers on Nairaland!  Dandaudu!

Are you not ashamed!  Miserable toto sniffing dog!  Go and look for a job.  Real men are at work at this time and you are here displaying you masturabating ignorance!  You filthy Pig!  

You will soon go blind from all the syphillis that has infected what ever is left of your bastard brain!  Go and get a real job you male prostitute!

Is that all you can type?  slowpoke!  Jobless cork sucking piece of thrash like you!   Put your wife out of her misery and be the head of the household instead of the tail of an areshole for a change!  Useless excuse for a man!  

Masturbating piece of thrashy scumbag like you!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by janami(f): 9:37pm On Nov 29, 2007
alright frankies, almondjoy. common! be nice to each other. I dnt think it will be so bad
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by dtwsola(m): 9:59pm On Nov 29, 2007
I do agree with the people who said there is nothing wrong with being single, but I don't understand why Nigerians are so adamantly against divorce. Why should people subject themselves to tumultuous and high stress relationships, when they can have out? Yes there are some people that divorce for silly, and vain reasons, but many times there are also legitimate reasons for divorce.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Gamine(f): 3:25pm On Dec 06, 2007
What is Marriage
This is the collaboration of two hearts that join together to overcome the obstacles of life and create an atmosphere of shared pleasure and deeper love

You must marry in the faith
Your partner should satisfy your body,mind and soul

Body; You must be physically attracted to him
Mind; you must be of like minds, able to talk, listen and enjoy each others company
Soul; you must share similar values, share the same map
Spirit; you must flow in the same spirit, the Spirit of God

True intimacy is the bonding of hearts that gives the feeling of acceptance and not the tangling of flesh

He should be ur Husband, Protector,Lover and Brother
Being lovers is being someones place of habitation, recreation and rrest
Being lovers means that a couple has directional focus that has centered them on the commitment to fulfil each others needs.

if u can be ok on ur own be on our own, dont get married n start divorcing abeg!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Souljagirl(f): 7:30pm On Dec 06, 2007
hmmm, why is divorce rate so high? me thinks because (partly) we get too much pressure from our parents and family, constantly reminding you how old you are, how a woman has a time limit, they want to see their grandkids before they die, blah blah blah all that rubbish. believe it or not, some people succumb to pressure just to please their family. very bad idea in my opinion. wetin man go do now?

and oh yeah, secondly, women have finally wisened up and realized that if the marriage aint working for them e.g the hubby is abusive, lazy etc, there's no point in staying. better safe than sorry. tongue
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by NihilceM: 10:14am On Dec 10, 2007
ALL OF YOU SCREAMING WESTERN INFLUENCE.

Oyinbo man come your house come tell you make you assimilate their culture?
if they did, them point gun for your head?
Because me I nor understand wetin be this west right west left.

If na for abroad the thing happen, I fit understand una but then I go still argue because they nor force anything on us.

But back to you.

What the hell is your problem? I wonder!
Can't Africans for once take responsibility for their actions?
Why are they always blaming external factors?
Goodness, the victim farce has to stop.
It's not doing us any good.

Don't you think generation can change?
You don't expect people to live the way their fore fathers did, do you?
You are screaming for progress in the country but then how can this be when you don't want to eradicate those primitive practices?
Be wise and use that your head for once.
You claim to be smart, you claim it's racist to say the westerns are more intelligent than us, but why are we the ones influenced by them and not the other way round?
Don't you know only superior intellect can influence others?
I am so ashamed of you guys.
You make me sick.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by blueband(m): 4:40pm On Dec 10, 2007
I don't think westerners are more intelligent than us.I work in a very developed society doing a high profile research job.I was the only black man during the interview and I got the job.That at least proves to me that they are not more intelligent than we are.But I will agree with anyone who says-as a collective race,the western world has made more advances that the black race.
And we can explain this by saying some of the policies and ways of life we are introducing into our society are alien to us.Our society survives on "chop ,I chop".We have our own welfare system which is paternilistic in nature.We have demacated our borders by tribe.We rule by heirachial lineage.The spirits are still very much alive in us.How can we then adopt western ways and think we will not have difficulties in coping?

In one way we are also better than the western world-We are yet to legalise homosexuality,we are not damaging and polluting our environment like they do,we still care for our old ones and we can go on and on and on.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by NihilceM: 5:06pm On Dec 10, 2007
blueband:

I don't think westerners are more intelligent than us.I work in a very developed society doing a high profile research job.I was the only black man during the interview and I got the job.That at least proves to me that they are not more intelligent than we are.But I will agree with anyone who says-as a collective race,the western world has made more advances that the black race.
And we can explain this by saying some of the policies and ways of life we are introducing into our society are alien to us.Our society survives on "chop ,I chop".We have our own welfare system which is paternilistic in nature.We have demacated our borders by tribe.We rule by heirachial lineage.The spirits are still very much alive in us.How can we then adopt western ways and think we will not have difficulties in coping?

In one way we are also better than the western world-We are yet to legalise homosexuality,we are not damaging and polluting our environment like they do,we still care for our old ones and we can go on and on and on.

You post makes me laugh especially the part concerning the homosexuals.

You sure say u nor take juju get that job?

Because I can't believe the highlightened part is coming from a so called intellectual African.

1. Whatever someone does in his bedroom is none of your business. if you think this makes Nigeria an intelligent country, I am sorry but it doesn't. If we were really smart as we claim we would live and let live.  wink

2. We are not polluting simply because we are not industry advanced. This is not something to be proud of, in fact we should be ashamed that most of our industrial products are imported. I wonder when lack of industry has become something to be proud of.  undecided

3. This one is really funny. So in the west people throw their old parents on the streets, abi?
Abeg tell me something better.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by blueband(m): 10:17pm On Dec 10, 2007
Read between the lines in the part you highlighted,I am sure you will see the sarcasm.I Agree with you,we have no right to decide other people's sexual preference.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by NihilceM: 2:45pm On Dec 11, 2007
blueband:

Read between the lines in the part you highlighted,I am sure you will see the sarcasm.I Agree with you,we have no right to decide other people's sexual preference.

Ok!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Gamine(f): 2:35am On Dec 12, 2007
its not abt westerners forcing us to do stuff

its our stupid craze for the things they n us trying to feel among

So this is one of d many ways

Abt homosexual, well they chose to be damned only god can help them

but they shldnt ram it down normal peoples throat in forcing us to accept

i reli dont care wut u do in r frickin closet! just stay there!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 5:13pm On Dec 12, 2007
Gamine:

its not about westerners forcing us to do stuff

i reli don't care what u do in r frickin closet! just stay there!

Please no offence sister. I just have only one question for you.

Are you by any chance related to 9ja4eva? undecided
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Kissmyass1(m): 6:31pm On Dec 12, 2007
More nigerians are now imitating americans
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by NihilceM: 10:30pm On Dec 12, 2007
Gamine:

its not about westerners forcing us to do stuff

i reli don't care what u do in r frickin closet! just stay there!

Then I suppoed you are against the law in Nigeria, right? wink

Kissmyass!:

More nigerians are now imitating americans

Another Olodo. You shoot one and hundreds come out.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 2:50am On Dec 13, 2007
I think this thread has way surpassed the "orgasmic" point of stupidity!---We are now seeing the residual permanent damage of "the Nigerian educational" system. Generational Imbeciles on Patrol!

I wish you all well! cry
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Gamine(f): 2:50am On Dec 16, 2007
This ALmondjoy pesin

u just come Nl dey form papas, abi na mamas dis tym

my relations to anyone no suppose concern u na undecided
shooo

wetin do u.

BTT
against which law?
im not against the law,
it is a criminal act when caught!
finish. cheesy
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 11:19am On Dec 16, 2007
Gamine:

This ALmondjoy pesin

u just come Nl dey form papas, abi na mamas this time

my relations to anyone no suppose concern u na undecided
shooo

wetin do u.

BTT
against which law?
im not against the law,
it is a criminal act when caught!
finish. cheesy

I thought as much!  What a pity! cry  Goodluck in the coming year! kiss Hope you fare better "rationally" speaking!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by adeboo(f): 12:57am On Dec 18, 2007
Because people marry for the wrong reasons - e.g because of family status etc.
But now people no that is not the case anymore. people are realising that they dont have to stay in abusive situations, etc.

Like Seun said, our eyes don open well well now.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by ekorick(m): 2:37pm On Dec 18, 2007
Gender equality
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by dot2002(m): 6:06pm On Dec 18, 2007
sometimes the hard way is the only way.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:21am On Dec 30, 2007
Because the sacred institution of marriage is taken for granted these days. we meet, ohhh we are in love, lets get married. some days,weeks,months or years later. i don't love you anymore and there are some problems, lets get divorced.

thats the way most people see marriages these days. they only look at the wedding, but don't see whats beyond the wedding. they don't seem to understand the vows you make at the altar, is like taking an oath. if you know you are not ready to take that oath of for better or worse till death do us part, then don't get married at all.

The western culture takes no blame at all, because its an individual perception of things. nothing was forced on anyone. its a matter of choice to either follow others or you stand by your values.

Its simple, if your not ready to handle the A,B,C and trouble that comes with marriage and you know your a quitter, then don't get married at all.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by AOYEGBESANYAHOOCOM(m): 3:37am On Dec 31, 2007
TS

I CONCUR. THIS IS NOT ONLY RESTRICTED TO SOCIETY IN NIGERIA BUT MANY OTHER DEVELOPING COUNTRIES.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by quinofhart(f): 5:50pm On Dec 31, 2007
well well well i read the first post on this topic and laughed, we blame everything on oyinbo so why can't some blame oyinbo for the alleged rise in divorces in Nigeria? lol

This is how i see it. if people are now getting divorced left right and centre they are finally waking up to the realization that they are in DEAD MARRIAGES. so many people marry for the hell of it in Naija, oh i want to be a Mrs! i need to spread my seed! my father needs to see grand children! and my favourite my friends are all married! hahahahaha!
when i was 23 all my friends were married(well my closest friends) 3 are separated now. 1 went AWOL after her divorce for shame.they used to say'' ah when are you marrying'' i said as soon as i find the right man, nothing scares me more than making a mistake with a life partner.

In Nigeria it is a joke that parents seem to be competing on who's child would wed next or who has the best, biggest wedding. Another thing i see brides with bumps as big as anything wearing white and taking vows in front of a priest , that shit kills me lol. there is no guarantee in life but at least make sure the odds are not against you for fecksake. Again if divorce is on the rise it is because all those show weddings are now crumbling before our very eyes wink
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by NihilceM: 7:39pm On Dec 31, 2007
quinofhart:

well well well i read the first post on this topic and laughed, we blame everything on oyinbo so why can't some blame oyinbo for the alleged rise in divorces in Nigeria? lol

This is how i see it. if people are now getting divorced left right and centre they are finally waking up to the realization that they are in DEAD MARRIAGES. so many people marry for the hell of it in Naija, oh i want to be a Mrs! i need to spread my seed! my father needs to see grand children! and my favourite my friends are all married! hahahahaha!
when i was 23 all my friends were married(well my closest friends) 3 are separated now. 1 went AWOL after her divorce for shame.they used to say'' ah when are you marrying'' i said as soon as i find the right man, nothing scares me more than making a mistake with a life partner.

In Nigeria it is a joke that parents seem to be competing on who's child would wed next or who has the best, biggest wedding. Another thing i see brides with bumps as big as anything wearing white and taking vows in front of a priest , that shit kills me lol. there is no guarantee in life but at least make sure the odds are not against you for fecksake. Again if divorce is on the rise it is because all those show weddings are now crumbling before our very eyes wink

Preach on!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Souljagirl(f): 10:43pm On Jan 02, 2008
@quionheart. well said. as a naija woman, i too have been faced with so much pressure from not just my immediate family, but also friends and people that shouldn't even have the guts to be saying rubbish to me at all. they're not happy with the fact that i'm single, as if it is such a bad thing. na so so "u're not getting any younger you know" or "see what has happened to you after shunning all those guys that were asking you out before" or downright "go and get married!" as if i'm a goat without a brain.

i don't know how people even think in our society, being mrs is so impt to people that they will go to any length to snag a man, even if he's as useless as a rag and has 4 wives already. it pains me that some women just see themselves as something to be owned by someone else. i've seen so many naija marriages where the man does as he likes, and the woman has no power or no say to make him change his ways. some of them will be chasing small small girls shamelessly and the wife is expected to suck it in, as if she has no choice. i say kick his ass to the curb! why let one yeye son of adam disrespect you all over the place. is that supposed to be a partnership?

me i'm sha afraid of the fact that i will have to "possibly" spend the rest of my precious life with one man. chei! make God sha give me will power. LOL.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Nobody: 12:14am On Jan 03, 2008
@ Souljagirl

Na you biko. tell them!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help!! My Brothers Wife Keeps Finding Faults In Everything I Do!!! / Woman Gives Birth To Set Of Twins After 17 Years Of Marriage / An Imo Girl Is Pregnant For My Husband. A Matured Advise!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.