Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. (1458 Views)

Shocked Doctors Deliver Baby Born With Half Head (photo) / Parting Gift For Recent Ex-girlfriend! / Best Parting Words! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by acidtalk: 8:17am On Jun 22, 2012
Pre Nuptual agreement is common in western countries.

It is a form of agreement where a married couples agree to share EQUALLY the total sum of the 'richer' partner.

whereby they have not legally married but have lived over 10years as lovers, such agreement still stands.

A man whose total worth is like $1m on divorce is to part away with $500,000 while his wife take the other half.

Can Pre Nuptial Agreement work in Nigeria or can you even cnsider going into it in the first place.

What's your take on having ot giving half of your total life earnings to a divorcing partner?
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by doeeyed: 11:18pm On Jun 22, 2012
Correct my Impressions......
Pre-nups r to prevent the very thing u quoted: aint it.
Of course dependent on the clauses included.
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by i1: 11:38pm On Jun 22, 2012
Oga Acidtalk, sorry to bust your bubble. Pre-nuptial agreements are not binding in nigeria. So if you want the agreement to have any effect, marry in a country whose laws permit such agreements.
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by slimyem: 11:44pm On Jun 22, 2012
i.:
Oga Acidtalk, sorry to bust your bubble. Pre-nuptial agreements are not binding in nigeria. So if you want the agreement to have any effect, marry in a country whose laws permit such agreements.
i bow for your handle eh...cheesycheesy
@op...u don hear am so?
It is not praticeable in Nigeria...so i dunno!
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by ijebabe: 1:05am On Jun 23, 2012
Even if it were so in Nigeria, what is wrong with parting with half (or a part) of your wealth?
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by MrCork17: 3:27am On Jun 23, 2012
dont they normally divide the goats and cows in some part of nigeria? 50/50. well i read this somewherundecided
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by doeeyed: 4:27am On Jun 23, 2012
I would imagine that a spouse looking to get a significant part of the "soon-to-be ex"'s wealth
which pre-dated their relationship would be labelled a gold-digger.

What was the inducement for getting into the relationship initially? Money or love??

Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by Mynd44: 6:04am On Jun 23, 2012
doe-eyed:
I would imagine that a spouse looking to get a significant part of the "soon-to-be ex"'s wealth
which pre-dated their relationship would be labelled a gold-digger.

What was the inducement for getting into the relationship initially? Money or love??

Ma'am I don't know about where you are but around here, the reasons for getting into relationships will shock you. Its like we are forgetting the traditional stuffs like companionship, love and the likes and adopting intimacy, money, Brazilian hair, green cards and the likes
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by acidtalk: 7:55am On Jun 23, 2012
doe-eyed:
Correct my Impressions......
Pre-nups r to prevent the very thing u quoted: aint it.
Of course dependent on the clauses included.

I intented to write "OR" pre nuptual agreement but the tex field was filled up.

Thanks For the observation though.
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by acidtalk: 7:57am On Jun 23, 2012
i.:
As so is it only Nigerians that live in Nigeria that visits nairaland?

Well I am to apologise for bursting your ignorance
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by born2boink(m): 8:13am On Jun 23, 2012
ijebabe: Even if it were so in Nigeria, what is wrong with parting with half (or a part) of your wealth?
I will never part with 10% of my hard labour except she work with me and not like those who sit home all day and Bleep boyz on street when husband goes to work
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by Lisa1: 9:06am On Jun 23, 2012
Great
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by i1: 11:31am On Jun 23, 2012
@ acidtalk. Dont wanna join issues aii!
For nigerians in nigeria that are reading this on NL: pre-nups are illegal, not binding, null, voud aπϑ are of no legal consequence whatsoever.
For other peeps not covered by the definition above: please consult a lawyer in the country you reside to know the effect!
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by ijebabe: 11:52am On Jun 23, 2012
born2fuck: I will never part with 10% of my hard labour except she work with me and not like those who sit home all day and Bleep boyz on street when husband goes to work
That's ignorance on your part. No one forces a man to marry whether she's a gold digger or not. What of the case where the husband is a cheat and for selfish or wicked reasons decides to end the marriage that is no fault of hers? But that is not the case here.
A woman invests her time and life in a marriage, keeping the home and taking care of your children. In the event of a divorce why should she be sent empty handed? Her efforts cannot be quantified but every wife is entitled to a settlement during divorce.
Personally I don't know if I would give a shit about the settlement but I am being (or trying to be) reasonable here.
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by acidtalk: 12:37pm On Jun 23, 2012
i.:
@ acidtalk. Dont wanna join issues aii!
For nigerians in nigeria that are reading this on NL: pre-nups are illegal, not binding, null, voud aπϑ are of no legal consequence whatsoever.
For other peeps not covered by the definition above: please consult a lawyer in the country you reside to know the effect!

I want to believe you are female. Am I right please?
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by born2boink(m): 1:57pm On Jun 23, 2012
What God has joined together is ddifferent from what Court has joined together, that's why divorce rate is higher than the days of God marriage because some ladies now marry to part of your property,the rich now have mind of marrying the ricch and poor marry the poor..
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 23, 2012
All these story na for people wen get money, abi no be so? Will a Nigerian civil servant think of this nonsense?
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by i1: 4:50pm On Jun 23, 2012
@ acidtalk...
Nooh A̶̲̥̅♏ bonafide Male.
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by Mynd44: 6:40pm On Jun 23, 2012
sexkillz: All these story na for people wen get money, abi no be so? Will a Nigerian civil servant think of this nonsense?
Abi. Will a woman tell a shoemaker to sign a prenup?
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jun 23, 2012
Mynd_44:
don't be stupid!
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by acidtalk: 10:41pm On Jun 23, 2012
Mynd_44:

*laugh don make me go do traffic warden ontop sea*
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by acidtalk: 10:42pm On Jun 23, 2012
sexkillz: All these story na for people wen get money, abi no be so? Will a Nigerian civil servant think of this nonsense?

Its possible oh!
She will take her own share from the N18,500 minimum wage.

Believe or not that money looks so huge to some people.
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jun 23, 2012
Mynd_44:
Ask me o. . . Which rich onitsha trader will agree to this? It's high time we realized that this is Nigeria. . . When we get to Rome, we act like Romans. . .

Pass tha Mic!!!
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jun 23, 2012
acidtalk:

Its possible oh!
She will take her own share from the N18,500 minimum wage.

Believe or not that money looks so huge to some people.
Abegi. . . This is Nairaland and not storyland. . . How much is 18,500? Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to work and save the marriage and forget some unnecessary nonsense?
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by doeeyed: 12:34am On Jun 24, 2012
Haba,
Baba Shoe-mae may win the lottery or come into an inheritance tomorrow.
No condition is permanent!!
smiley smiley smiley

Seriously Killz, u got a point.
But if there's any doubt bout the true intent of the "love"...
Its a useful option

@ Ijebabe,
Judges tend to be sympathetic to the wife that has sacrificed for the well-being
of the family and also being cheated on by the husband.

With children in place..... child support in addition to alimony is paid.
Its not always a bad outcome

Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by Mynd44: 9:19am On Jun 24, 2012
^^
If Baba shoemaker win lottery, he is more likely to marry more wives with the money than invest it
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by acidtalk: 10:02am On Jun 24, 2012
Mynd_44: ^^
If Baba shoemaker win lottery, he is more likely to marry more wives with the money than invest it

But madam will first want to grab her own share on the lottery winings before others come in.
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by Mynd44: 10:05am On Jun 24, 2012
acidtalk:

But madam will first want to grab her own share on the lottery winings before others come in.
As if baba Shoemaker is that dumb
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by acidtalk: 12:46am On Jul 14, 2012
Mynd_44:
As if baba Shoemaker is that dumb

At time parting with half or less of somone's wealth might just be as a result of the love of pity the man still feels for the woman.

Some men will do anything to make a woman happy even if she decides to break the man's heart.
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by Mynd44: 1:07am On Jul 14, 2012
acidtalk:

At time parting with half or less of somone's wealth might just be as a result of the love of pity the man still feels for the woman.

Some men will do anything to make a woman happy even if she decides to break the man's heart.
Yeah that might be true but how practical is it in Nigeria?
Re: Parting With Half Of Your Wealth During Divorce. by acidtalk: 7:02am On Jul 14, 2012
The Nigeria Judiciary system is currently waking up in regards to that effect.

Cases like Femi Kuti and Funke, and Gbenga Obasanjop and wife will hav e the man really compensating his wife.

(1) (Reply)

Insecurity / Does The GM Seduction Style Work on Nigerian girls? / Woman Offers Herself For Marriage As Incentive To Anyone Who Buys Her House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.