Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,750 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? (9532 Views)

Why Men Fall In Love Faster Than Women? / Do People Fall In Love Via Phone Calls Only? / Men Fall In Love Faster Than Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by pendo89(f): 8:06pm On Jun 30, 2012
emöfine2:

“primitive energy”...now that Pendo is certainly a new and fascinating term grin

When you set foot in Kenya mention the word primitive energy and everybody will grin
2 weeks ago Korean air published an article announcing their scheduled flights to Nbo. In their effort to woo tourists,the article encouraged them to come and see 'primitive energy' on African soil.(in the wild,park and stuff grin.
Now that word caused a major uproar, they were forced to immediateley withdraw it from their websites and apologise a million times grin
I think everything got lost in translation but kenyans viewed it as an insult to Africans.
Well we use that word everytime somebody spends energy doing something silly.
like dating a ghost
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 30, 2012
freecocoa: See this truck pusher dey follow talk.

Swear say you understand one sentencewey she write there. Anu.
. Bbut d time i dey send u money u know remember say na truckpusher i be ooo
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by AdeniyiA(m): 8:10pm On Jun 30, 2012
lefulefu: why dU u always sound like market woman?gramma no dey always smooth 4 ur mouth
SHE EATS TOO MUCH COCOA
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by freecocoa(f): 8:11pm On Jun 30, 2012
lefulefu: . Bbut d time i dey send u money u know remember say na truckpusher i be ooo
In your dreams.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by valencia25(m): 8:12pm On Jun 30, 2012
Love is just a common slang grin grin grin
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by AdeniyiA(m): 8:31pm On Jun 30, 2012
that 'FALL' is the problem, that's y some av broken heads,hearts,legs etc cos they 'fall' blindly. there ar +ve side to online dating cos av seen ppl brought 2geda by online chat. the truth is thru ur chats,some faithful n shy ones divulge most of their secrets to those who come to em as lambs,everyone needs love. life of 2day has gone microwave- instant fUd,s.ex,wife,husbd etc.aftA chattin wt 3 to 5 ppl u wil find dos wt same life philosophy thru questionin,while in real life no time.MOST PPL PRETEND.pcout
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jun 30, 2012
Billyonaire: I didnt have to read all. My story is short. I met a girl on BB, checked her facebook, before i knew it, I invitedd her over to Lekki....to cut the long story short, I was madly in love, but then again, 400k spent on her in just a weekend. I ran.....internet love.....is lightening speed. Speed of light!

may i ask........what were you "in love" with? you probably didnt know this stranger, yet you are talking about "love"? and what has you spending 400K got to do with anything here? so because you met her online, you had to spend 4times as much to impress her? i hope that for this price, you at least got to mount this covert ashi?!
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 30, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

may i ask........what were you "in love" with? you probably didnt know this stranger, yet you are talking about "love"? and what has you spending 400K got to do with anything here? so because you met her online, you had to spend 4times as much to impress her? i hope that for this price, you at least got to mount this covert ashi?!
I was madly in love...and I mean it....sexually attracted and it was marathon(ic)......since then, I zeroed my mind from e-Love.....
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by pendo89(f): 8:45pm On Jun 30, 2012
Billyonaire: I was madly in love...and I mean it....sexually attracted and it was marathon(ic)......since then, I zeroed my mind from e-Love.....

see when you have that signature screaming am billionare what are message are u passing around? you even spent less than what she expected.
and if that is how u wooed her on fb then i dont think u should moan.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by defbond1: 8:48pm On Jun 30, 2012
MoD
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 30, 2012
pendo89:

see when you have that signature screaming am billionare what are message are u passing around? you even spent less than what she expected.
and if that is how u wooed her on fb then i dont think u should moan.
Hhahahahahaha.....u got a point there.....but must love be about my money ?
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 30, 2012
Billyonaire: I was madly in love...and I mean it....sexually attracted and it was marathon(ic)......since then, I zeroed my mind from e-Love.....

again, pls care to tell me WHAT EXACTLY YOU WERE IN LOVE WITH? or did the fact that you were eager to meet this gal, made you believe that you were in love with her?

here is a clue.......if you were "supposedly" madly in love with her, then how come it was so easy for you to run away from her?! or is your "love" something you can just turn on and off?
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 9:27pm On Jun 30, 2012
MRbrownJAY: @OP
how many times have you heard people online say that they are smelly, unclean, arrogant or even rude? most people online only talk and push forward their good side........so no wonder many people online might fall quicker in love than people in real life (who would judge the person for who they truly are).

also, although a person's character is what should be important, it is the whole person that should be judged.......it doesnt matter if someone has all the right attributes, if there is nothing behind to back that up.

And I agree...

Do you think people tend to prematurely determine their feelings online than offline?

Do we lean more to our credulity online and scepticism offline?
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jun 30, 2012
emöfine2:

And I agree...

Do you think people tend to prematurely determine their feelings online than offline?

Do we lean more to our credulity online and scepticism offline?

the two are judged and based on different criteria......online you SOLELY use your mind (and starts fantasizing about all the nice stuff that you were told) while in real life you use VISUAL and take them for what they are. no wonder so many would rather start to date online and so many fall for online scams.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by themecool(m): 9:51pm On Jun 30, 2012
Dating some1 online or falling in love is not a crime so far u love d person let d show continue
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by nwgoziri(m): 11:13pm On Jun 30, 2012
pendo89: I believe that some do and for various reasons.
There are so many desperate people online.Young and old alike. If you get down to asking them questions,you will be shocked by their responses.
Many are moved by words. Many weirdos claim to fall in love with your words.They claim to 'feel' the person in a conversation but you and I know that some people have mastered the art of seducing people online.

It is wrong to assume that people pursuing online relationships have no real life relationships.Very false assumption because I have had all manner of people hitting on me.From married to those with live in gf.
It's more wrong to assume they have faults of any kind.We see pics of very beautiful girls and men flooding the internet.All in search of love.Surely it cant be that they aren't physically attractive.
My assumption is, they want to dare.They want to risk.Whether its good or bad is not up to me to judge.That depends on the individual.

Will give you an example.I converse a lot with people online. But many want to take it to another level.After some time of conversing they start using words like luv,baby,sweetheart. If you ask them to stop they claim to have fallen in love! fallen in love with your words. undecided even if it's business.
I am the sort of person who likes asking so many questions at times it's such put off.Many times am told I have a tough personality online because instead of joining one in talking sweet nothings, I bring in other non interesting stuff. Stuff that one hates to hear but all aimed at stopping one from entertaining vain thoughts.There are people who ar enice to just chat with but online relatioship if not followed up with offline is a waste of emotional energy.
Thing is one must know their strengths and weaknesses. Its nice to be be accomodating online but I try my best to put all necessary blocks to make myself look less attractive online because I know what I want and it can't be found online.
That shouldn't be too hard.

One thing however is,I can't rule out online relationships cz I have personally witnessed two very succesful ones leading to marriage and eventually kids.
After all is said and done,the satisfaction one receives from real people offline is more than what they receives on.
God bles u pendo.dnt mind dem thy jst dey4m.wat thy dnt knw is dat luv is arcane in nature nd it coms in so many waz
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by denzel2009: 11:33pm On Jun 30, 2012
Yeah... and it's always tricky!
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by modavi: 12:12am On Jul 01, 2012
Not in love but in lust.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by chucky234(m): 6:08am On Jul 01, 2012
freecocoa: See this truck pusher dey follow talk.

Swear say you understand one sentence wey she write there. Anu.
This got me laughong loud in Chinese,this my freecocoa angel will kill me one day on this NL.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by chucky234(m): 6:36am On Jul 01, 2012
Hmmm,Emofine where have you been all this while nah? Seem London is treating you with so much goodies that you had to abandoned us here,abi.... Welcome oooooo!

Back to the topic,I think love is a very serious thing and often hard to identify when in love as people easily mistake infatuation for love.
Its hard to fall in love online without offline activities and that's to say every online relationships that involves people miles apart without offline contacts are merely built on infatuation or passion, you can be infatuated or put passionate about people's character e.g intelligence,humour,look,ambition,business or profession e.t.c

In the past few years marriages have succeeded from online relationships, I don't think all were purely based on love but as they were/are only tyring to love the ones they married and not marrying the ones they love.

In America alone more than two million people needs love every year,with the disappointment from their previous failed offline relationships these people have no choice than to seek love online which because of their desperacy end up with any available guy or gal as the case may be.
Many of these online love seekers have their reasons to seek soulmate online but its advicable to seek those who are not far from where you live as that will afford you the opportunity to spend time with them offline then get to know them better which helps you to know where your heart beat with him/her,pictures can be deceiving that's why seeing one's pictures online is not enough to conclude on the person's look or personality and that's where offline activities come in handy.

In conclusion,love is hard to find online as what you call love may not be love rather you are simply infatuated or passionate about the person's online ghost personality.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by koolayox(m): 8:27am On Jul 01, 2012
wink[b][/b][b][/b]Nofin spoil 4 naija babez
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 01, 2012
Typical emofine thread. grin
While I don't generally subscribe to the idea of "falling in love", I believe people can get to like others based on what these others bring forward. It really doesn't matter what is brought forward. In "offline" relationships, physical attributes are brought forward. So, how good others find these physical attributes will determine then whether they'd be willing to go into a relationship. In "online" relationships, on the other hand, non-physical attributes are brought forward. Since everybody undoubtedly has an online personality, this personality makes up the person's non-physical attributes. Others might as well find these non-physical attributes good enough to want a relationship with the person.
These are the two attributes that make up a person: the physical and the non-physical. For some, there are equally important and for others, one is more important than the other.
Now, whether one finds "offline" or "online" relationships good depends on what attributes (physical or non-physical)are most valued by the judging parties. Claremont's dislike of "online" relationships is apparently rooted in his favoring of physical attributes as a start to a relationship. Whatever his claims are, they apparently don't form the general opinion nor are they exclusively valid, as pendo pointed out she is witness to at least two successful online relationships.
So, to me it simply has a lot more to do with how the person approaches human relationship. Some are much more interested in a person's personality than they are in the person's physical qualities. And the bulk of a person's personality can pretty much show online than it would offline. On another note, it's not unusual to find someone who was once heavily outgoing and in favour of good physical attributes suddenly become sober and choose to go online in search of the intangible in a partner.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by cecegorz(m): 9:05am On Jul 01, 2012
I will say YES to the question. But the issue for me will be, where does it lead to?
Basically, online allows people to consciously project a type of drop dead gorgeous personae which they can only dream of in real life.
It only takes a careful presentation of sterling attractive qualities, meant to impress and endear the other party, who has no inkling of what lies behind the screen.
My take is that if you find yourself getting attracted to an online personality, take a pause and arrange for an offline date, it will give you room to evaluate what you have been discussing online.
That also means that having a long distance love-interest online is a dangerous thing, because you might spend years building on that fantasy, and by the time you see the person live, you'll discover it's been wasted years.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by claremont(m): 9:10am On Jul 01, 2012
sauer: Claremont's dislike of "online" relationships is apparently rooted in his favoring of physical attributes as a start to a relationship. Whatever his claims are, they apparently don't form the general opinion nor are they exclusively valid, as pendo pointed out she is witness to at least two successful online relationships.
Is that really statistically significant?! I think NOT. I also think that even if it were true that there are 1000's of supposedly successful online relationship, it still doesn't prove that pursuing romance online at the expense of the time and evolutionary-tested offline format is a rational thing to do. My opinion on this issue is shared by the scientific community who are totally in consensus that it is irrational for a man/woman to ignore potential partners based around where he/she lives/works/plays, and would rather choose to pursue romantic bliss whilst hiding behind a keyboard. This behaviour has been deemed to be totally abnormal; our species have evolved for generations purely based on forging relationships via physical and mental attributes, these are attributes which CANNOT be evaluated whilst online. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by happy89: 9:30am On Jul 01, 2012
damn my handle suffered a bot.nway.
sauer: Typical emofine thread. grin
While I don't generally subscribe to the idea of "falling in love", I believe people can get to like others based on what these others bring forward. It really doesn't matter what is brought forward. In "offline" relationships, physical attributes are brought forward. So, how good others find these physical attributes will determine then whether they'd be willing to go into a relationship. In "online" relationships, on the other hand, non-physical attributes are brought forward. Since everybody undoubtedly has an online personality, this personality makes up the person's non-physical attributes. Others might as well find these non-physical attributes good enough to want a relationship with the person.
These are the two attributes that make up a person: the physical and the non-physical. For some, there are equally important and for others, one is more important than the other.
Now, whether one finds "offline" or "online" relationships good depends on what attributes (physical or non-physical)are most valued by the judging parties. Claremont's dislike of "online" relationships is apparently rooted in his favoring of physical attributes as a start to a relationship. Whatever his claims are, they apparently don't form the general opinion nor are they exclusively valid, as pendo pointed out she is witness to at least two successful online relationships.
So, to me it simply has a lot more to do with how the person approaches human relationship. Some are much more interested in a person's personality than they are in the person's physical qualities. And the bulk of a person's personality can pretty much show online than it would offline. On another note, it's not unusual to find someone who was once heavily outgoing and in favour of good physical attributes suddenly become sober and choose to go online in search of the intangible in a partner.

I reeally like the way you have put it.

Do you believe there are people interested in non-physical attributes only?
What of those interested in physical only? How would you describe these two groups? Psychos?

I believe there has to be an equal measure of both physical and non physical attributes for it to work.
But then what really cements or glues a relationship? whether on or offline? Is it the physical or non -physical?

So what diff is there in trying to connect emotionally first(online)before graduating to physical?(offline).
After all don't we try to connect emotionally first before we get physical offline.
Do people have true emotional connection online?? It's easy to be swayed by words you know esp if you are the 'word person'
But People hide a lot of flaws online like MBJ pointed out,so it's possible to connect with the wrong person.

cecegorz:
My take is that if you find yourself getting attracted to an online personality, take a pause and arrange for an offline date, it will give you room to evaluate what you have been discussing online.
That also means that having a long distance love-interest online is a dangerous thing, because you might spend years building on that fantasy, and by the time you see the person live, you'll discover it's been wasted years.

Now this makes lots of sense.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by cowgurl: 11:09am On Jul 01, 2012
Hmmm! Interesting comments on here. But we all should be reminded that meeting someone online is quite similar in some ways as meeting someone offline, the only obvious difference is the anonymity that goes with the former and even that as well can also happen offline till one get to know the other in toto. Then again, people offline are also guilty of hiding them flaws or are ' professionals' in acting what they are not just to impress/get their aim targets and still get away with it. The crux; when an online personality[b] who's like you in some ways[/b] reaches out to you to get to know you better, reciprocate the gesture cos he/she may have lots more to offer than what you already see online. Just because many folks see online dating as being silly does not mean it is in totality, it's all in the way one goes about it. Let's be open minded even when finding love cos you know, it wouldn't hurt to enjoy the risks and adventures that goes with meeting an online personality u kinda have a thing for offline.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 01, 2012
claremont:
Is that really statistically significant?! I think NOT. I also think that even if it were true that there are 1000's of supposedly successful online relationship, it still doesn't prove that pursuing romance online at the expense of the time and evolutionary-tested offline format is a rational thing to do. My opinion on this issue is shared by the scientific community who are totally in consensus that it is irrational for a man/woman to ignore potential partners based around where he/she lives/works/plays, and would rather choose to pursue romantic bliss whilst hiding behind a keyboard. This behaviour has been deemed to be totally abnormal; our species have evolved for generations purely based on forging relationships via physical and mental attributes, these are attributes which CANNOT be evaluated whilst online. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Whether it is statistically significant or not is not the point here. You know that. In addition, your insistence on proof proves nothing. What does "1000's of supposedly successful online relationships" prove then? That people can't succeed doing it? Of course, no!
You see, I'd not go that claremont way by insisting that it's not a rational thing to do. I'm as well suspicious of online relationships. However, I wouldn't totally condemn it. The internet is a new aspect of our lives as modern humans, so it's only understandable to regard it with suspicion especially regarding intimate concerns. Plato's condemnation of poetry, a then emerging art form, is apparently not justifiable today. The success and evolution of poetry attest to this. When the TV first came, conservative modern philosophers thought it would take the life off a burgeoning scientific population. Is it not the same TV that offers educative materials and audio-visual aids in the understanding of science? Same was said of the computer. . . .We can go on and on. The method of such thinkers, as claremont, is then to find a way to accommodate these phenomena when it becomes apparent that they are succeeding. Pray, you won't do same with internet dating.
I do not agree with you in your attempt to employ evolution as a tool for nullifying the potential successes of online relationships. The internet might as well be part of our social evolution as humans. And who says the internet cannot be a channel for the passage or development of our mental attributes? As an example, some people have very well not met Richard Dawkins, but are heavily influenced by him solely based on what they glean online. Are these people mentally deranged? Undoubtedly, the internet has become part of our lives, physical and non-physical. And in the forseeable future, I see the internet becoming not only a tool for giving or getting tips, but also one for managing all aspects of our lives. I do have as a prediction that subsequently our online identities will become hardly inseparable from our offline ones, such that people might go to jail, get married, win the Nobel prize, etc. based solely on what they do online! But, I digress. . . grin

All said, my attempt is not to completely approve of online relationships. As I mentioned earlier, I'm suspicious of it. However, I won't throw the baby out with the water. Instead I want to show that online dating is present and thriving and normal, and it's what we'll have to deal with in the coming decades.
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 11:34am On Jul 01, 2012
cowgurl: Hmmm! Interesting comments on here. But we all should be reminded that meeting someone online is quite similar in some ways as meeting someone offline, the only obvious difference is the anonymity that goes with the former and even that as well can also happen offline till one get to know the other in toto. Then again, people offline are also guilty of hiding them flaws or are ' professionals' in acting what they are not just to impress/get their aim targets and still get away with it. The crux; when an online personality[b] who's like you in some ways[/b] reaches out to you to get to know you better, reciprocate the gesture cos he/she may have lots more to offer than what you already see online. Just because many folks see online dating as being silly does not mean it is in totality, it's all in the way one goes about it. Let's be open minded even when finding love cos you know, it wouldn't hurt to enjoy the risks and adventures that goes with meeting an online personality u kinda have a thing for offline.
good point. I should perhaps have added the bolded to my earlier posts!
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 01, 2012
happy89: damn my handle suffered a bot.nway.

I reeally like the way you have put it.

Do you believe there are people interested in non-physical attributes only?
What of those interested in physical only? How would you describe these two groups? Psychos?

I believe there has to be an equal measure of both physical and non physical attributes for it to work.
But then what really cements or glues a relationship? whether on or offline? Is it the physical or non -physical?

So what diff is there in trying to connect emotionally first(online)before graduating to physical?(offline).
After all don't we try to connect emotionally first before we get physical offline.
Do people have true emotional connection online?? It's easy to be swayed by words you know esp if you are the 'word person'
But People hide a lot of flaws online like MBJ pointed out,so it's possible to connect with the wrong person.

Now this makes lots of sense.

Well, I certainly can't claim that there are people interested in the non-physical only. Maybe a blind man is though wink
But frankly, there has to be a measure of balance between what one wants: the physical and the non-physical attributes. This is why it's often recommended to meet offline, so as to assess these physical attributes and see if they meet the standard of the interested parties.
You are right: there has to be an equal measure. However, that doesn't rule out learning about the one before the other. That is, meeting online before meeting offline, or meeting offline before extending connections online. To completely rule out online interactions in a relationship is to go the blinded, dogmatic claremont way, which is a complete disregard for the massive influence of the internet in our modern lives.
I certainly won't do that!
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 12:12pm On Jul 01, 2012
pendo89:

When you set foot in Kenya mention the word primitive energy and everybody will grin
2 weeks ago Korean air published an article announcing their scheduled flights to Nbo. In their effort to woo tourists,the article encouraged them to come and see 'primitive energy' on African soil.(in the wild,park and stuff grin.
Now that word caused a major uproar, they were forced to immediateley withdraw it from their websites and apologise a million times grin
I think everything got lost in translation but kenyans viewed it as an insult to Africans.
Well we use that word everytime somebody spends energy doing something silly.
like dating a ghost

Lol...they should have just stuck with “magical kenya” or adapted the title a bit since it’s already officially taken...

chucky234: Hmmm,Emofine where have you been all this while nah? Seem London is treating you with so much goodies that you had to abandoned us here,abi.... Welcome oooooo!

Thanks for the welcome but I needed a breather and was hoping to expand my thoughts...

sauer: Now, whether one finds "offline" or "online" relationships good depends on what attributes (physical or non-physical)are most valued by the judging parties.
Some are much more interested in a person's personality than they are in the person's physical qualities. And the bulk of a person's personality can pretty much show online than it would offline.

Intriguing...perhaps a sort of blind date...
But does this supposed feeling occur at a faster rate online than offline?
If so is it because rejection may be easier to handle online?
Or can people afford to be a little bit more naïve online than offline as contact can always be severed if one was found to be fabricating without ever having to confront the other person in real life?

Typical emofine thread. grin

grin
Re: Do People Fall In Love Faster Online? by emofine2(f): 12:15pm On Jul 01, 2012
@topic But isn’t it interesting that when some people are attracted by a seemingly beautiful personality online they may want to match that with a beautiful portrait? So this sometimes failed expectation may not be through the result of a lie of any character involved but more so a fantasy...

happy89 = pendo89....nice of you to join us again grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pantless Dancers Left In Shock, After A Faithful Boyfriend Did This / Things Happen When Ever I Try To Have Sex. / Guy Makes A Video Of A Ladies Irritating Virgina (very Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.