Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye (15415 Views)

Primate Ayodele: Buhari Can’t Take Us To Promise Land, Nigeria Will Break Up / Nigeria Will Gain Nothing By Killing Rev. King – Igbo Group Begs Buhari For Pard / Adeboye Talks About His Impending Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by 9ja4eva: 5:18pm On Dec 04, 2007
For sure 9ja will be great
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by badesemowo(m): 5:41pm On Dec 04, 2007
A quick look at this post and only one thing comes to my mind,
FOOLS!!!,
don't get me wrong, I believe! ,, so you wonder why?
Psalm 14:1
(Oh and thats a verse in the scriptures for some of you)
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by Orikinla(m): 6:40pm On Dec 04, 2007
To those attacking Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye.

Do you know his academic background?

What he achieved at 39 is enough to make you pee in your pants.

Adeboye, Kumuyi and Olukoya are academic geniuses and would have been as wealthy as they desired if they did not even become pastors.

Anyone can hide behind a PC online and post comments displaying ignorance, but would be scared to confront these men of God physically in public.

Many of the employees in Nigerian banks are being paid salaries from investments made by the largest churches in Nigeria.

We have all the human and mineral resources to make Nigeria the greatest nation on earth.

N.B:
Anyone who has the brains to develop our own Google should contact me for the tools.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by jerrymania(m): 6:50pm On Dec 04, 2007
Orikinla:

N.B:
Anyone who has the brains to develop our own Google should contact me for the tools.

are u really sure dawg?
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by freelance(m): 7:09pm On Dec 04, 2007
Nigeria is destined to be great its just a matter of time wink
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by bindex(m): 7:15pm On Dec 04, 2007
 Many of the employees in Nigerian banks are being paid salaries from investments made by the largest churches in Nigeria.

Pls can you mention one or two of the purported investments? and why should the beneficiaries be people from the banking sector. why are the beggers on the streets not benefitting from such investments, why are the churches not building roads, hospitals and schools if they are really interested in the poor masses. Any thing the church does in Nigeria is purely for monetary gain, see the universities  that are run by the church the avarage man's child can only walk pass such universities and dream about attending.Why are the churches not paying the hospital bills of their members?

I remember in August when heavy storm took down the roof of a guy that stays in my neighbourhood who happens to be a guy that attends and donates to the local chuch we have in our  neighbourhood regularly .The guy recieved no help from the church, instead 2 days after his roof was blown away the church had a special offering service for the pastor's farm.He came out and gave a testimoney of how God had saved his life and the life of his family from the disaster in front of the church and they did'nt bother to give him any donation but rather they gave to the pastor and the pastor refused to give to the guy, hmmm this is really strange and i must admitt that i believe so many of the things that the nigerians in diaspora are suggesting even though some of them have completely gone off the hook and have lost faith completely. This should not be happing people are not supposed to be giving their life saving to this pastors.

Just as some one has rightly pointed out the church is supposed to be a charitable organisation, but in nigeria the opposite is the case. i have been trying to point this out for quite a long time but people are really too blind to see i don't blame them though, they have been blinded by poverty and lack.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by YangaRat: 7:36pm On Dec 04, 2007
Nearly 2 thousand people don read this matter of Redeem Camp dem oga, whether na wayo-cunning man or na God personal assistant, and till now the argument never get head, so I just get only one question wey I go ask any Redeem Camp supporters when dey here to defend Pastor Adeboye.

The question wey I been want to ask be say if I give Pastor Adeboye ten thousand naira, na how much be the amount wey dem go write for the check when Adeboye go give me to go cash for heaven ?  

Another question be whether den go let me sell that Redeem Camp check to another person, come put small gain for pocket, if to say I never ready to go heaven yet, but I still get wettin I go fit take the money do.

Please o, make una helep me for this investment question when I get for this my ten thousand naira wey I want to go dash dem for Redeem Camp.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by jerrymania(m): 7:48pm On Dec 04, 2007
Yanga Rat:

Nearly 2 thousand people don read this matter of Redeem Camp them oga, whether na wayo-cunning man or na God personal assistant, and till now the argument never get head, so I just get only one question wey I go ask any Redeem Camp supporters when dey here to defend Pastor Adeboye.

The question wey I been want to ask be say if I give Pastor Adeboye ten thousand naira, na how much be the amount wey them go write for the check when Adeboye go give me to go cash for heaven ?

Another question be whether den go let me sell that Redeem Camp check to another person, come put small gain for pocket, if to say I never ready to go heaven yet, but I still get wettin I go fit take the money do.

Please o, make una helep me for this investment question when I get for this my ten thousand naira wey I want to go dash them for Redeem Camp.

And talking about investment, i think his church is capable of opening a bank at least larger and stronger than all d banks put together. Its ur right to know where he is investing ur money into because when profit comes,i go need my share too.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by otokx(m): 7:58pm On Dec 04, 2007
This are the last days
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by miquest: 8:04pm On Dec 04, 2007
@ yanga rat
  A rat indeed cause u seem not to make any sense

@ alll those talking thrash about christainity, well God Knows ur faith

@ all those outside Nigeria & insulting men of God, Na ur papa house. Come and help your country Grow

@ d wanderer in cyprus but now in finland, U are just a suffering moving from one useless nation to another, There's no place like home

AND TO EVERYONE  HE HAS SAID IT NIGERIA WOULD BE THE GREATEST NATION OYA GO AND BEAT HIM NOW, I BELIEVE HIM AND WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS, SO THEREFORE KILL YOURSELF CAUSE THE BIBLE HAS INSTRUCTED THAT WE PAY OUR TITHES, IF YOU WANT YOUR OWN OPEN YOUR CHURCH AND TRY TO CONVINCE YOUR MEMBERS TO DO THE SAME.

ALL YOU ANTI-CHRISTIAN BODIES,
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by jerrymania(m): 8:10pm On Dec 04, 2007
otokx:

This are the last days
O boy how body now? it be like sey christmas don start for ur end oh  cool
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by YangaRat: 8:18pm On Dec 04, 2007
Miquest I forget to mention say na check I go take pay my money ( teeth) to Adeboye for Redeem Camp, but my bank manager done assure me say the check nogo bounce, so far I no withdraw another money for the account till Adeboye don go cash him own.

I sure say you go fit explain am for me how as my own gain go plenty reach for this deal, and whether dem fit call police if my payment check go mistake bounce after when I don carry that 1000% profit wey Adeboye promise me, come go hide for my village.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by swing4real(m): 8:46pm On Dec 04, 2007
Many times i sit down and ponder if my people are fools or what.HOW WILL NIGERIA BE THE GREATEST NATION IN THE WORLD? Please can someone ask Adeboya how God will make Nigeria the greatest nation, coz i still don´t understand.Will God come down from Heaven to make Nigeria the greatest nation? HELL NO!!!.God has already made Nigeria the greatest by providing us all the natural resource we need as a nation.What else are we asking God to do for us? God made us charge over all these natural resource and we can´t make use of it.

Nigeria will be great if you and i make effort to use the natural resource God has already given to us as a Nation. Adeboya is only making Nigerians lazy with his words.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by jerrymania(m): 8:56pm On Dec 04, 2007
so isreal,china,britain,u.,germany,france,russia,japan,north korea and even iran will become blind ehn, even 100 years nigeria cant be greater than these nations combined together?
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by ow11(m): 9:02pm On Dec 04, 2007
When they want to excite their members they come up with tales like this. How people believe it surprises me.

The part that sickens me is how the prophets don't rebuke the criminals in power like the prophets in the bible. Instead they eat and drink with them and even support them to continue to rape the country. How will the country become great?

I guess everymen for himself but just maybe if Nigerians use these 'prophesies' as a precedent to work hard and stop stealing,just maybe it might come to pass.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by otokx(m): 9:13pm On Dec 04, 2007
bros j mania na go slow we dey o, this church people i don dey look them till my open abi na half close.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by jerrymania(m): 9:22pm On Dec 04, 2007
oga O.T.A na so oh. life nor easy.

anyway i be hear one advert for radio,one church dey do their end of year titesgiving. oboy which name my ear nor hear, v.p goodluck, gov. silva,bros amaechi, and dem dem. i laugh. wetin dey vex me sey na even dem church sef na him dese men dey carry our stolen money go waste, and dem go sey na God's blessing. kapish
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by swing4real(m): 11:57pm On Dec 04, 2007
Many times i sit down and ponder if my people are fools or what.HOW WILL NIGERIA BE THE GREATEST NATION IN THE WORLD? Please can someone ask Adeboya how God will make Nigeria the greatest nation, coz i still don´t understand.Will God come down from Heaven to make Nigeria the greatest nation? HELL NO!!!.God has already made Nigeria the greatest by providing us all the natural resource we need as a nation.What else are we asking God to do for us? God made us charge over all these natural resource and we can´t make use of it.

Nigeria will be great if you and i make effort to use the natural resource God has already given to us as a Nation. Adeboya is only making Nigerians lazy with his words.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by SSK8BOARDG(m): 12:37am On Dec 05, 2007
@ orikinla an all u religious biggots go and sleep,when would y'all wake up and smeel the coffee ,when this so called men of
God empty ur pockets in jesus name?
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by SSK8BOARDG(m): 12:46am On Dec 05, 2007
femi kuti has aid it all in " wonder" na pastor life dey better the people dey suffer,shey na this our sonsumer nation mentality we wan take to be greatest country in the world? where warehouses and factories are folding up and turning to churches. what index is adeboye going to use to measure our progress, or what school of economics is he from? maybe we can be the greatest if they use gross spiritual product. allu so called defenders of adeboye and his cohorts are just a bunch of gullible psychophants. RELIGION IS TRULY THE OPIUM OF THE POOR
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by tarezulu(m): 7:25am On Dec 05, 2007
Again I ask how do these churches contribute to our national development? embarassed
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by seguno2: 8:29am On Dec 05, 2007
Lights out for oil-rich Nigeria
Nigeria has more oil than any other African country. But it can't keep the lights on.
By Leonard Lawal, Fortune

(Fortune Magazine) -- The Egbin Thermal Power Station, a few miles outside Lagos, is Nigeria's largest generating plant, with a capacity of 1,320 megawatts. It has six units, but two have been cannibalized to repair the remaining four, and at peak hours only two turbines are functioning. On bad days, like the first week in November, when the gas supply line was sabotaged, the plant shuts down altogether.
Not surprisingly, morale is low. "We are told of massive funding, but the funding never gets here," says Akintoye, an engineer at the plant. "We don't have spare parts. The contractors who built the plant are not given the maintenance contracts, which are determined by the regime in power. Even if we are operating optimally we can't serve Lagos, with a population of ten million."
So it goes in Africa's largest city, in a country with more oil than any other on the continent. For large parts of the day, Lagos is without power. After 8 P.M., darkness reigns. At best Nigeria generates 4,000 megawatts of electricity for its 140 million people, one-tenth of what South Africa produces for a population one-third as large.
Most businesses in Nigeria, large and small, get around the problem by generating their own electricity and using the national grid only as a backup. Foreign investors are told to BYOI - bring your own infrastructure.
When MTN, a South African mobile-phone company, set up shop in Nigeria, it had to install 6,000 generators to supply its base stations for up to 19 hours a day. The company, now the largest mobile-phone provider in Nigeria, spends $5.5 million a month just on diesel fuel to run its generators. "We rely on generating plants as our primary source of power," says Wale Goodluck, MTN Nigeria's manager for regulatory affairs.
The same is true for small businesses. Barbers, welders, and bakers all rely on their own power supplies, which is three times costlier and far more polluting than getting electricity from the national supply system. "I can employ 50 more tailors, but the power outage is wrecking my business," says Okorie Idika, who owns a shop that makes babariga, traditional garments. "I can't run this operation on generating plants. I won't be competitive."
It wasn't always this bad. Nigeria used to have 79 power stations. When civilian rule was restored in 1999, only 15 were still functioning, generating just 1,500 megawatts of electricity. Olusegun Obasanjo, who became President after the military regime, spent $8.5 billion repairing and building power stations, but the output has not increased significantly. Emmanuel Adewole, an economics professor at Lagos State University, calls it "the most expensive darkness in the world."
The World Bank estimates that the country is losing about $600 million a year because of inadequate supplies of electricity. Nigeria's new President, Umaru Yar'Adua, has called the power situation "abysmal," saying it has stunted the country's economic growth, and he has pledged to make fixing it a priority of his administration.
But the task is daunting. One problem: getting gas to the plants from the Niger delta, where rebels regularly vandalize pipelines. Corruption also runs deep, and consumers, who see no need to pay their energy bills, owe billions of dollars to the state-owned Power Holding Corp. of Nigeria. (Prepaid cards are increasingly being used, but in a country where everyone is an electrician, many have figured out how to bypass the meters.) The government wants to privatize the company and is taking bids for power-generating plants from 400 local and foreign investors. Ultimately, only the transmission platform will be held in trust by the government.
Until then, Nigeria's environment will continue to take a beating. Because of power outages, most families, in both urban and rural areas, use firewood as fuel for cooking. Swaths of forests are being hacked down daily to meet this need. And millions of diesel generators only add to the environmental burden. "Even the architecture of premises and houses is designed around generating sets," says Uma Obasi, a logistics expert with British American Tobacco in Lagos. "The din from these plants is literally driving people crazy."
---------------------------------------------------------
Making Nigeria great will start when the corrupt leaders stop and restitute four times (as Zaccheus said in the Bible) so we can have infrastructures and other development that goes with it.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by YangaRat: 8:36am On Dec 05, 2007
SSK8BOARDG:

femi kuti has aid it all in " wonder" na pastor life dey better the people dey suffer,shey na this our sonsumer nation mentality we wan take to be greatest country in the world? where warehouses and factories are folding up and turning to churches. what index is adeboye going to use to measure our progress, or what school of economics is he from? maybe we can be the greatest if they use gross spiritual product. allu so called defenders of adeboye and his cohorts are just a bunch of gullible psychophants. RELIGION IS TRULY THE OPIUM OF THE POOR

Ha ha ha ha, yeee-paripa, Skateboard don kill me finish o.  Factory warehouse don turn to church throughout Nigeria, and na Gross Spiritual Product them dey manufacture there.  Ha ha ha yee,  all my belle dey pain me for this laugh o, abeg Skateboard make you pity me now.  Na that Gross Spiritual Product we go chop belle-full for Pastor Adeboye Nigeria, and na him we go dey export to Oyibo land together with we crook oil.

Anyway, make we await hot reply from all this Adeboye him disciples them, as e be say den still dey busy for where them dey shak correct bible OPIUM for inside them cattle shed beside Lagos Expressway, because I sure say when them finish that OPIUM smoke come begin dey wake up, them eye go red well-well, and them go come ready to reply all this heavy artillery when Skateboard been dey take scatter them this morning.

Battle don start o.  Everybody take cover.    Skateboard, make you ready for this OPIUM war wey you don start o, and remember say GOD ( Pastor Adeboye ) dey ready to join the battle and begin dey shout, dey sweat like mad person, dey see vision, see miracle, see signs and wonders, dey speak in TONGUES, dey quote bible upon bible sotay person wey no strong go fall down at once begin dey convulse for ground .   Ha ha ha ha I go look free show tire today o,  Praise the Lord.  Ha ha ha ha    Na today be today.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by legba1(m): 10:03am On Dec 05, 2007
na wa o. what a way to respond to a prophesy from a reputable man of God.jakumo and co,the fact that you dont believe it does not and will not stop this word from coming to pass.i believe it and am doing ma part to partake of it.i have learn long ago that no matter how hard your work and that no matter how brilliant you are,the God factor is still very essential in achieving your goal.i pity you all
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by Eclairs: 11:00am On Dec 05, 2007
I remember watching E.A Adeboye 'prophesing' at a RCCMG conference in 2002/2003 that Olusegun Osoba who at that time was seeking re-election for the office of governor of Ogun state, will win. His words were that God 'revealed' to him that "there was no vacancy in the governor's house, in Jesus name".

My take is this- Adeboye, I am very certain does not speak for God-atleast ever since Osoba lost that election to Gbenga Daniels!

@ Danmasani

Sorry mate, you're no body to judge. Don't get urself into trouble cz God do not joke with his annoited.

Nigeria will be great. Whether you think it's a false profesy or not, the poster's intent is that we work towards makin Nigeria great. With ur post, it's easy to see why many Nigerians hv given up hope on Nigeria becmin great. No offense meant, but I see no reason why you shd judge a renowned man of God. Leave tht to God, Please.

Nigeria will be great and I identify with the profesy.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by seguno2: 11:33am On Dec 05, 2007
I guess this is relevant to the thread. Have a thoughtful read-through.
------------------------------
A bishop’s sharp rebuke By Okey Ndibe

Last View on Wed 5th December, 2007
Last Modified on Tue 04th December, 2007 9:03:28 am
Author: Posted by Admin Sahara

A few years ago I heard a story that is in all likelihood apocryphal and yet a profound illustration of a pernicious brand of superstition that has seized the popular imagination in Nigeria. The story is of a structural engineer who served as chief project manager in the construction of a bridge. Asked by reporters if he was satisfied that the bridge was structurally sound for the volume of traffic that would ply it, the engineer retorted: “Yes, by the grace of God.”
Many Nigerians mistake such pronouncements as praiseworthy piety. In fact, any engineer who invokes God as guarantor of the efficacy of his work is often regarded as the best kind of engineer.
Faith is a healthy part of our human heritage. As the late Pope John Paul the Second eloquently established in Faith and Reason, one of his most widely read encyclicals, faith and reason need not exist in an antagonistic relationship. In their daily lives, many reasonable people are able to wed their spiritual beliefs to their professional lives. It would not be bizarre for an engineer to pray about his or her work. But an engineer who labors under the impression that God, not tested engineering principles, is going to sustain a bridge ought to undergo a sanity test.
In these days of collapsing bridges and toppling houses, Nigerians should be wary of engineers who fast steadfastly and pray zealously but neglect to pay attention to material, quantities and measurements. Engineers who can’t tell the difference between faith and superstition can neither be deep practitioners of their faith nor knowledgeable in their supposed field of expertise.
Several weeks ago, Nigerian newspapers reported the collapse of a major bridge in Cross River State. The News newspaper was first to alert the nation to this engineering calamity. The paper wrote: “The Itigidi bridge commissioned by former President Olusegun Obasanjo with so much fanfare in Cross River State, has collapsed…Two vehicles, a tipper and a car, have so far fallen into the river.” In buckling, the bridge seemed to accuse both the engineers who worked on it and the man who awarded the N7 billion contract for its construction. When he officially opened the bridge in May, just days before exiting from power, Obasanjo had wagged a finger at his critics. According to the paper, the former president gloated that “those mocking his administration for doing nothing should ‘come to Itigidi and see the wonder we have achieved here.’” Wonder indeed!
Sadly, many pastors of questionable standing—ostentatiously styled men of God by the credulous Nigerian media—encourage the promiscuous bandying about of God’s name. Hypocrites and fraudsters masked as workers in God’s vineyard are spawning dangerous creeds and toxic ideas. It sometimes appears that the wackier the ideas purveyed by some fly-by-night pastors the greater their traction. Innocent citizens, beguiled by the astonishing pronouncements of men and women who claim to have God on speed dial, are often misled into affirming tragic ideas.
What’s even more worrisome about the reign of asinine ideas is the failure of enlightened pastors and other citizens to consistently rebuke the errant, pollutant views injected into the public bloodstream by charlatans posturing as God’s mouthpieces.
Whatever its cause, this abdication has only served to empower those who seduce the susceptible among us with fart packaged and labeled as perfume. One of Nigeria’s chief perils is the growing acceptance of the superstition that all power comes from God. Vended by an unholy alliance of pastors, imams and political pundits, this blatant lie has caught on. Its effect is to inoculate many Nigerians against the necessary moral outrage that enlightened citizens ought to feel when their legitimate choices—their voices—are sabotaged by a few diabolical elements.
Politicians who steal others’ mandates show no bashfulness in ascribing their purloined offices to “God’s doing.” If you ask Lamidi Adedibu who was responsible for (illegally) impeaching Governor Rashid Ladoja, it’s a fair bet that he’d say that it was God’s decision. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo was too good to be elected into office by mere mortals. So he bypassed Nigerians and sought God’s direct vote. By his testimony, he got the divine nod in 1999 and 2003.
Obasanjo’s bid to rewrite the Nigerian constitution to enable him to wangle a third term in office was roundly opposed by Nigerians, and ultimately squelched by members of the National Assembly. Well, that’s my human version of events. The divine version, peddled by Obasanjo, is that he never coveted a third term. If he’d wished to perpetuate himself in office, he would simply have telegraphed a petition to God. And Nigerians would have woken up one morning to discover that God, who is supposedly under an obligation to grant each and every prayer of the former president’s, had rewritten their constitution!
Such canards, one insists, deserve vigorous repudiation—to deny them the fertilizer they need to germinate and garner some appeal. A few days ago, a Nigerian priest based in Sweden e-mailed me a heartwarming report that was published, again, in The News. The report was titled “Stop Praying, Fight For Your Rights: Archbishop Tells Nigerians”. The opening paragraph captured the heart of the story: “The Catholic Archbishop of Abuja and President, Christian Association of Nigeria, (CAN), Mr. John Onaiyekan, has called on Nigerians to stop praying for God to deliver the country from misfortunes, but to stand up and fight for their rights.” The archbishop’s apt entreaty was delivered at the Michael Ajasin Foundation’s 8th Annual Colloquium that took place in Lagos.
Onaiyekan is no newcomer to straight and salient talk. In the days when the nation quavered on the edge of despair over Obasanjo’s depraved pursuit of a third term agenda, the archbishop did honor to himself by opposing the ruinous recipe with pastoral candor and unwavering courage. On one occasion, in the presence of Obasanjo himself, Archbishop Onaiyekan delivered an unsparing rebuke of those who contemplated humoring Obasanjo’s inflated ego by imperiling Nigeria.
Since April’s disaster that Maurice Iwu mistook for elections, the archbishop has stood firm in warring with electoral impunity. He has encouraged wronged candidates not to cave in, and exhorted tribunals to approach their tasks with a great sense of responsibility and in the fierce spirit of serving truth. A few tribunals seem to have heeded his call. Unfortunately, many have failed to rise to the archbishop’s entreaty.
Disavowing the habit of many other “men of God” who resort to inelegant verbal gymnastics in the face of grave assaults on a nation’s moral integrity and political will, Archbishop Onaiyekan elected to, in the words of Malcolm X, the late African American human rights fighter, “make it plain.” The archbishop, according to The News, “warned that with so many un-elected people in power, Nigeria [might] remain where it is if the situation remains the same. He said Nigerians [might] decide to tolerate the status quo, continue praying for divine intervention or take concrete action as this is the best option.” He implored the nation to insist on “correcting the errors made in the past, the encouragement of the election petition tribunals and the approach to reorganize ‘most of the flawed elections.’”
Onaiyekan has called it right. God, it needs to be restated, owes Nigerians nothing. We may shout ourselves hoarse in supplication from sunrise to sunset, but the amelioration or correction of our manifold man-made disasters is not God’s business but ours. The elections of April were upended by a trinity of collaborators: a do-or-die president, a decadent ruling party bereft of ideas but seized by arrogance, and an electoral commission headed by a shameless Maurice Iwu. It’s up to Nigerians—the stripped electorate, dispossessed candidates, members of the electoral tribunals, the clergy, journalists, labor members and the broad class of intellectuals—to rise and fight the impositions. If we shirk this duty, then why must we importune God to clean up our man-created mess?
It was comforting to see that, like me, Onaiyekan is no believer in Umar Yar’adua’s inherently dishonest attempt at “reforming” the electoral process that gave him illegitimate power, the archbishop observed that the reformers were themselves in dire need of reform. “Who will reform the reformers? Who will watch the watchmen?” he asked.
Rather than be lulled to sleep by Yar’adua’s so-called electoral reforms, the archbishop insisted that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) ought to be probed for its role in the rigged elections. His words: “A perfect electoral reform would lead us nowhere if people can simply disregard the rules, and get away with such crimes.”
The priest who sent me the report on Onaiyekan’s forthright talk also copied me a congratulatory letter he’d written to the archbishop. Part of the letter read: “People who are traveling from Abuja to Lagos or from Port-Harcourt through Onitsha to Lagos often spend a good part of the…journey by bus praying—‘binding and casting the Devil and his co-workers’ that unleash accidents on the roads. These Nigerians seem to be so engrossed in their religion that they forget to think. The ‘roads’ are nothing but death traps. The governments, both Federal and states, do not bother to repair these roads. Yet the people hold the ‘Devil and his co-workers’ responsible instead of their leaders who have failed to repair the roads.”
Continued the letter: “When there is a football match, people pray to God for NEPA or whatever it is now called, to give them ‘light’ to be able to watch the match. People abdicate their responsibility to challenge the evil status quo by engaging in needless prayers.”
Both the archbishop’s argument, set forth with characteristic candor, true patriotism and moral clarity, and the priest’s letter deserve commendation. No pastor worthy of the name who hears Onaiyekan’s words would have any excuse for evading what is a moral imperative. It behooves the nation’s clerical ranks as well as enlightened citizens everywhere to adopt a principled stance against the electoral predations of April. To the good archbishop’s penetrating insights the only word to add is: Amen!
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by seabiotics(m): 11:47am On Dec 05, 2007
I read with painstaking effort the comments from everyone. My due patience in not immediately partaking in this discourse much earlier was, in the main, attributable to the delicate nature of the subject matter. Nonetheless, it  is shocking, although not in the least surprising, that some people can take maximum advantage of the availability of free speech, employ an independent thought process and masquerade it as "intelligence" - not realising that in reality what is being displayed is a wanton lack of knowledge and an abuse of ignorance.

Conversely, the thought process we apply to the context of certain issues sometimes defeats my level of understanding. When Pastor Adeboye said Nigeria will be great, he said it was a prophesy from God. Anyone who has taken the time to read the bible well will note that there have been true men of God who have heard from God, and equally fake men of God. Again, the bible points out that not one word of God will return to him void until it accomplishes what it sets out to do. The same bible spoke about fake parisoners, who didn't worship God in sprit and in truth. There have also been instances that true men of God have been admonished for not carrying out their assigments. And in cases where people rebelled against the men of God in the bible (Moses), God punished them for their sins. Everyone has their own reward, whether they lie, kill, cheat or steal, do good deeds or bad ones. But who are we to judge except God. It is best we have a stern look at ourselves in the mirror and remove the plank in our own eyes whilst attempting to remove the speck of sawdust in someone else's eye.

In this regard, it is clear to all and sundry that whatever Pastor Adeboye purports God said about Nigeria is not for anyone to dispel or dispute. He is a man of God. Whether he is reverred by everyone is another matter. And let's just assume, one is compelled to disagree with his comments, one shouldn't go as far to to degrade, abuse and tarnish his reputation simply because other Pastors are renowned for "spouting lies" and siphoning church funds at the expense of their parishioners. There are Churches and there are churches. The same for Pastors. And it is nothing peculiar to Nigeria as a country alone.

If there is a prophesy that says Nigeria will be great, that does not translate that everyone should fold their arms and wait for that to happen without being productive as always? Even the bible warns about the sluggard who sleeps all day without working, stating clearly that poverty is their ruin in the end.

So America, China, and other super power countries are doing well against the backdrop of their unbelief in God. Bravo! Does that equally mean the entire nation are atheists? Even during the oppressive years of the slave era, there were a vast number of white people, chief amongst them, William Wilberforce, who spoke out vociferously against the system and was instrumental to the abolition of slave trade. Similarly, what you will come to realise now or many years to come, is that God's kingdom will be established the world over. And there is nothing anyone can do about it. With the passage of time, true Christians will be the ones writing policies and effecting a real change in governance.

In passing, let us be mindful of what we say and how we say it.

A word is enough for the wise, and for fools, generally it may take an eternity to embrace wisdom as they continue to bask in their stupidity.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by YangaRat: 2:56pm On Dec 05, 2007
Seabiotics na only you and PHD holder for English literature go sabi the meaning of all this long story when you type so. Anyway, you sabi type plenty English, and plenty paper don cover with ya fine writing.

Thank you sir. Next !
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by Builder: 12:40am On Dec 06, 2007
This so-called men of God should p-lease shut up and stick to what they know best, defrauding innocent and naive nigerians of their hard-earn cash.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by Eclairs: 1:57am On Dec 06, 2007
This so-called men of God should p-lease shut up and stick to what they know best, defrauding innocent and naive nigerians of their hard-earn cash.

Once again, the posters intent is that we all work towards makin Nigeria great. Is there ntin wrong with tht? Does it really matter if it's a false profesy?

lol @ur quote.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by ola4u: 10:15am On Dec 06, 2007
You are correct badesemowo (m)

" A quick look at this post and only one thing comes to my mind, , FOOLS!!!,
don't get me wrong, I believe! ,, so you wonder why?
Psalm 14:1"

Ps 14:1 , , I read , Chapter 14
1. To the chief Musician, [A Psalm] of David. The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, [there is] none that doeth good.

Let everybody check him/her self ,

Just keep OFF Men of God if you do not want the wrath of God on you, to the 3rd generation

Exodus 22:24 And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Pray for the forgiveness of your sin and God shall have mercy on you.

Many of your type talking did more than this during the time of NOAH. But at last the rain started falling and they were all consumed ,

May God have mercy on all of you and convert your Saul to ba Paul. Amen. May it be that you are next that God will use to fight the kingdom of darkness on earth. Amen.
Re: God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye by seguno2: 11:08am On Dec 06, 2007
ola4u:

Ps 14:1 , , I read , Chapter 14
1. To the chief Musician, [A Psalm] of David. The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, [there is] none that doeth good.

Let everybody check him/her self ,

Just keep OFF Men of God if you do not want the wrath of God on you, to the 3rd generation

You should stop confounding people and mixing up God with "men of God". If you do not know the difference you should read the Bible extensively.
Threatning people with fire & brimstone is not the issue here. The issue is giving unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and (then/only therafter) unto God what is God's. I am sure only very few pastors can compare to the exemplary life and teachings of Jesus Christ, the very basis of being called a Xtian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Does God Allow Satan To Influence Mankind? / Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! / God Is An Atheist: What Theists Cant argue.Discover God's God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.