Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,751 members, 7,820,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

How Did You Get Your Present Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Did You Get Your Present Job? (24036 Views)

How Did You Get Your Present Job? / If You Are Unemployed Or Not Happy With Your Present Work, Pls Read This / Describe Your Present Job With One Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Sanguine77(m): 6:51pm On Jul 10, 2012
I am currently job huntn 4 a better job. Am a social scientist; sound intellect, good first degree, professional qualification. masterdethirdeye@yahoo.com.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by jezsie: 6:55pm On Jul 10, 2012
winkLife can be so funny.Those who are qualified hardly get anything but the true story is never that,allow those giving you the job sense your eagerness so as not to over use you and you end up trying to resign or get another job.Well am an experience teacher and business administrator in Abuja,so kindly get me informed on any vacant in the teaching position (those that appreciate their workers especially) or management.We all will get there so never give-up.Love you all. cheesy
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by ariyebaba(m): 6:59pm On Jul 10, 2012
After NYSC with NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR POLICY & STRATEGIC STUDIES ( NIPSS),KURU,JOS,PLATEAU STATE.
I spent years @ home looking for jobs on Lagos street and flipping tru TUESDAY & THURSDAY GUARDIAN.

A long story..................................

I finally found job tru NAIRALAND- NAIRALIST-LAGOS JOB.

Sincerely speaking,i hear am..........

Presently,av sacked or fired my boss, am now enterpreneur..............

Av registered my business name with CORPORATE AFFAIRS COMMISSION.

The lesson here is : PATIENCE,PERSPIRATION,PERSISTENCE.

Never give up,ur God is at work.

I thanked God for his open doors and favour in my business.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 10, 2012
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by RuuDie(m): 7:00pm On Jul 10, 2012
@ Pendo89.

You're absolutely spot on about 'starting small' and climbing higher from there!
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by tessyade: 7:02pm On Jul 10, 2012
Pacify: @OP, there are genuine jobs out there though few. I got mine without knowing or been a relative of any single person in my firm. What baffles me more was that, amongst all the interviewees for the job, I was the only person who wasn't from an eastern state (all my bosses are from the eastern parts of Nigeria). So, what I'd advice is to have the required GRADE and the required SKILLS...period!
This story is similar to mine especially the eastern part of Nigeria stuff. Different people get job through different means. My advice is to use all methods of job search, one of the methods will definitely work out.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by rexfada(m): 7:06pm On Jul 10, 2012
I got my first ever job via NL job/vacancy section, though it's my dream job but not my dream pay cos the pay is v.small. Though am gathering alotta experience which is needed in today's job hunt
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by tyoseni(m): 7:32pm On Jul 10, 2012
I got my 1st high paying job from naijahotjobs as a field supervisor for one of the telecom coy, and my present job from Nairaland in one of the telecom vendor company as a project manager.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by linsa01(m): 7:32pm On Jul 10, 2012
Job hunt! Already getting fustrated. I've B.A (hons) 2:1. Tried all i could but no good result yet. Started a professional course but no money to complete it. Still in the struggle sha.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by kunle75(m): 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2012
Pls oooo house am a wireless field support engineer ooooo,I wld like to change my place of work but wld still want to work with an IT firm as a field support engineer ooo pls anybody in the house with any openings I would appreciate it.I am CWNA,ITIL and CWSP certified,still writting more exams ooo,u can reach me on kunleoshin@gmail.com.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Sweetjoe(m): 7:36pm On Jul 10, 2012
I studied banking and finance......plz i need bank work cos i hv passion for it. Can any body help. Thankz
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Jarus(m): 7:40pm On Jul 10, 2012
I have never been a fan of advertised, newspaper vacancies. I normally prefer unadvertised openings needing to be filled urgently or informal recommendations or passing my CV to right quarters(HR, CEOs etc) and getting called for chat/interviews. Except of course for big MNC that have standardized recruitment channel that must be advertised.

But on that Tuesday in October last year I was just reading Guardian for political news when I bumped into an advert by one of the Top 2 consultancy/audit service firms in Nigeria that 'our client is a leading E&P company with assets in blabla, seeking to employ XXXX'. I just told my friend and colleague in office that I will give I will give it a shot. No be just to send CV and write one-page turenchi on why I fit the bill? I just repackaged my CV to fit the role and attached a beautifully worded one-page essay which I titled 'XXXX Role in an E&P Firm: 5 Reasons Why I fit the Bill', listing role familiarity, industry knowledge, track academic and professional record, trainings, and one other I can't remember. Then sent it to the recruiter.

Got a call for interview with the firm one month later, and after about 4 months, got another call for final interview with their client(it was at that point the company was unveiled to me - but it affected my negotiation. If I knew I knew it was that company I would have asked for more, an 8-digit annual pay, but I had already asked for less in my interviews with their recruitment consultant and showed in my records passed to them. Now I still rue not maximizing the opportunity, as most of my colleagues in similar role are on 8-digit)

In retrospect, a number of factors worked in my favour in clinching that job, despite the stiff competition

1, Well packaged CV plus well-worded and bold cover note. After sending it, I knew I was going to be shortlisted even if it's 10 people they're shortlisting.

2, I had a training in 2010(sponsored by my then company) with the firm recruiting for the oil coy. I stylishly harped on it in both my CV and cover essay. Let's now see how the audit firm will discard someone that they trained and not shortlist him, even if they received 100 CVs. Lol

3, On sighting my interviewer, who happened to be one of our trainers in the 2010 trainings, I first went informal, asking 'how's Mr X, how's Mr Y(his colleagues that were co-facilitators in the training). I struck a familiarity shap shap.

4, I must admit I wasn't very spectacular in that interview, esp on technical issues(due to short notice, was called on Monday and asked to come for interview next day), even mixed up few things and he corrected me. But did very well in general issues.Objectively, my performance was average in that interview and probably my worst ever. On seeing me off, I again went informal: my regards to X and Y(his colleagues at the training)

5, I maximally tapped the edge offered by my familiarity with the company/interviewers, but as professionals, we all maintained a professional gap.

6, When I didn't get feedback in 3 months, I thought I had flunked it. One day, I just called them and they told me they were waiting for feedback from their client. Long and short, after like 5 months, March this year to be precise, I got a call and follow-up mail from the recruiter that I had been shortlisted for final interview with their client the week after, that I should ask to see X on arriving there. It was at that point that the coy was revealed to me.

7, I did rigorous research on the company. I spoke with our E&P subsidiary guys and they all confirmed it was a great place. I strolled there and chatted with their security men and drivers one break period. But the most helpful came from internet search. I bumped into their linkedin page while surfing the net and lo and behold, the first name I saw was the HR person I was asked to see when I get there. I clicked her linkedin profile and saw she also left one of the companies associated with my then company mid-last year. I quickly took my phone and called my friend in that our related company asking whether he knew X, who left their company for Y company last year. He said he knew her, that in fact they attended same church. Good. He told me about her and I had more confidence she won't be a tough person. Plus coming from a company related to her own ex-employer, I knew that was an edge for me already.

8, Interview day came and I saw the panel : her, my would-be boss and another oyinbo manager, an expatriate. We should be 3 shortlisted for that final stage. I had a very great showing, perhaps my best interview ever. Vey confident and dazzled them(unlike the audit firm professionals, they were not so deep into my role) so I was able to bamboozzle them. Lol. I saw that oyinbo nodding his head as I tackled their knotty questions(including how will you manage a 'settlement-seeking' governement official) and I knew I had gotten that job. My final question to them was the seal. Well packaged ad delivered. Getting the job was a fait accompli.

10, Now settled in the coy and from my informal gists with the HR buddies, learnt they had a tough time choosing btw me and one other person, that they almost decided to split the role into 2 to accommodate both of us. But his body language is that the HR topshots were tilted in my favour. One of them coming from related coy to where I was coming from so disposed to me, the other I got to know later was my senior(same dept, same uni), finished 6 years b4 me(didn't meet her in schl though). Plus I guess my final competitor was asking for higher pay than I did.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 10, 2012
I actually found my present job while trawling through the net about 3 months before i was due to graduate. It happened to be an industrial position (these are usually few and far between and so many apply that i had very little hope to get in) which i really wasn't pursuing in favor of academic research positions.
However i applied and promptly forgot about it.

A month later i got a strange email asking if i would be available for a phone interview in 2 days time, it took me a few minutes to realize the email was coming from the company i had applied to on a whim earlier. Well i had the 20 minute phone interview... was invited for an in-house interview the following week (free flights, food and all-expenses paid hotel accommodation!) and got an offer from HR 3 days later. I took the offer immediately!

Not only have i thoroughly enjoyed my job the last 2 yrs, the wealth of experience i gained helped me land my dream job that i will be transitioning to in 7 weeks time. God dey!

How i got my new job...

My present job is great and all but i really wanted to leave after 2 yrs. First budgeting was a huge problem at the end of the year and it was custom to cut down on projects just to cut costs in favor of shareholders. Secondly, it was mostly a lab role and my ultimate goal has always been to get into a consultancy position, third... they were refusing to pay for my MBA as it was not a degree that was "business relevant"! shocked

While looking through job postings on the webpage of our professional society, i spotted an opening for the exact position i had always wanted. I spent a week re-working my CV, wrote up a 1-page cover letter and emailed it to the company contact. A week later i emailed her to let her know i had applied for the job, she replied almost immediately that she had seen it and would be contacting me later.
After a few nervous weeks biting my nails, her boss (who happened to have been my senior in grad school) contacted me and asked that i come over to their company booth during our society meeting this past spring for an interview.

Thankfully for me, i had a speaking presentation the morning of my interview and virtually all the guys who were supposed to be on my interview panel that same day attended without my knowledge! The interview ended up being an informal chat on my research project, getting to know the guys, a senior manager came over as well to make a plug on why i should consider working for them e.t.c.

A month later, HR invited me over for an in-house interview which went great. 2 weeks later, the director called to tell me he was preparing an offer letter and i should seriously consider working for them as they thought i was the best of over 40 candidates who applied for the position (including those with many more years of experience - 4 of whom i know personally). Well suffice to say, i accepted the offer and will be joining them officially in sept. Salary in the 6 figures, pension plan in addition to a 401K, fully funded health plan and i get to earn both a professional certification and MBA for free! grin

Who talk say God no dey? grin

11 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by GboyegaD(m): 7:49pm On Jul 10, 2012
Jarus: I have never been a fan of advertised, newspaper vacancies. I normally prefer unadvertised openings needing to be filled urgently or informal recommendations or passing my CV to right quarters(HOUR, CEOs etc) and getting called for chat/interviews. Except of course for big MNC that have standardized recruitment channel that must be advertised.

But on that Tuesday in October last year I was just reading Guardian for political news when I bumped into an advert by one of the Top 2 consultancy/audit service firms in Nigeria that 'our client is a leading E&P company with assets in blabla, seeking to employ XXXX'. I just told my friend and colleague in office that I will give I will give it a shot. No be just to send CV and write one-page turenchi on why I fit the bill? I just repackaged my CV to fit the role and attached a beautifully worded one-page essay which I titled 'XXXX Role in an E&P Firm: 5 Reasons Why I fit the Bill', listing role familiarity, industry knowledge, track academic and professional record, trainings, and one other I can't remember. Then sent it to the recruiter.

Got a call for interview with the firm one month later, and after about 4 months, got another call for final interview with their client(it was at that point the company was unveiled to me - but it affected my negotiation. If I knew I knew it was that company I would have asked for more, an 8-digit annual pay, but I had already asked for less in my interviews with their recruitment consultant and showed in my records passed to them. Now I still rue not maximizing the opportunity, as most of my colleagues in similar role are on 8-digit)

In retrospect, a number of factors worked in my favour in clinching that job, despite the stiff competition

1, Well packaged CV plus well-worded and bold cover note. After sending it, I knew I was going to be shortlisted even if it's 10 people they're shortlisting.

2, I had a training in 2010(sponsored by my then company) with the firm recruiting for the oil coy. I stylishly harped on it in both my CV and cover essay. Let's now see how the audit firm will discard someone that they trained and not shortlist him, even if they received 100 CVs. Lol

3, On sighting my interviewer, who happened to be one of our trainers in the 2010 trainings, I first went informal, asking 'how's Mr X, how's Mr Y(his colleagues that were co-facilitators in the training). I struck a familiarity shap shap.

4, I must admit I wasn't very spectacular in that interview, esp on technical issues(due to short notice, was called on Monday and asked to come for interview next day), even mixed up few things and he corrected me. But did very well in general issues.Objectively, my performance was average in that interview and probably my worst ever. On seeing me off, I again went informal: my regards to X and Y(his colleagues at the training)

5, I maximally tapped the edge offered by my familiarity with the company/interviewers, but as professionals, we all maintained a professional gap.

6, When I didn't get feedback in 3 months, I thought I had flunked it. One day, I just called them and they

Good for you Jarus. Fabro dem still dey wait you to come give back by: pursuing further studies and lecturing in your alma mata in return. You know say dem go like you die if you apply grin grin grin
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by sholavick(f): 7:51pm On Jul 10, 2012
Taiyes007: Pls help oh i need a job my email address is isanni25@yahoo.com

Sholavick(F)sadQuote post)
Pls help,I am a computer science graduate (Hnd),graduated 2009. pls I need a job it could be customercare officer/Front desk officer for a start pls, becos have not really had any working experience since then. For any availability pls contact me @ shollyvicky@hotmail.co.uk.
Thanks
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by baba11(m): 7:54pm On Jul 10, 2012
kunletiwoo: Whoever messaged me, I've just replied your massage with the necessary details on how to apply. Good luck
please,i have a brother that is in dire need of IT placement.He studies computer engineering and intend to work in telecoms firms,any help please?
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by abysirius(m): 8:35pm On Jul 10, 2012
Pacify: @OP, there are genuine jobs out there though few. I got mine without knowing or been a relative of any single person in my firm. What baffles me more was that, amongst all the interviewees for the job, I was the only person who wasn't from an eastern state (all my bosses are from the eastern parts of Nigeria). So, what I'd advice is to have the required GRADE and the required SKILLS...period!
Here urself: required grade and skills. Grade and skills my foot! Better thank ur star. Na grace work for u o.. Merit in Nigeria most especially when it comes to giving out jobs (contracts/employment) means little or nothing at all in naija. Even pple with pass sef dey flex pass those wey carry 1st class come out so far she/him sabi ogbonge pple 4 we county, no wahala. But I talk sey make unna no read o.. Bros na testimony u share o..
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by johnson11(m): 9:00pm On Jul 10, 2012
Guys, i just want to ask a question , my friend have an interview on Thursday is it advisable to add on your CV school[higher education] you attended but never graduate from maybe due to one reason on the other?
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by sonyjacobs(m): 9:11pm On Jul 10, 2012
georgee: Pls oooo, i av a 3-year banking experience in international Operations particularly Forex Regulatory reporting. Anybody who has any info abt eployment shuld kindly help a brother who got disengaged from a bank due to sanusi's reforms

I got info that FBN is recruiting for experience hire. meaning if u got banking experience kindly visit their Head office at samuel asabia house marina,Lagos to submit ur cv
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by pendusky(m): 9:30pm On Jul 10, 2012
what hapen to dis topic? https://www.nairaland.com/727710/how-did-u-get-job#11250508

Maybe the poster wasnt a mod. Na wa oh! Acidtalk!

Anyway to contribute, i jst d ma own, a friend kal and say she has convince ha oga on why they shld employ me, i then askd ha why? She says am always honest! Inteligent! And hardworking grin, inside of me i dnt fink i am oh!

Was wit ha doing some kinda marketing job 4 airtel and she left afta she got d job and got me conectd!

Maybe I always encourage ha dat 2marow wil be beta! grin

Anyway, friday is ma Confirmation during our TGIF party!! grin.

Waiting 2 read urs guys!
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Sanguine77(m): 9:33pm On Jul 10, 2012
Currently, i am job hunting. A social science degree (good result) with a professional management qualification. Any openings, lemme know. masterdethirdeye@yahoo.com
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by exalt2009: 10:13pm On Jul 10, 2012
kunletiwoo: Yeah! you may be right....And as for me, the reason why I asked him his course of study is simple.I work with a Telecoms company and we need more Field Engineers/Riggers.

Peace!

Pls i will be glad if you can assist me on IT in your company..i study computer engineer in Elaro. 08189264411.look forward to hear from you.thax
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 10, 2012
The 3 main/real jobs ive had were all on merit: banking, telecomms and FMCG. Applied like everyone else and subsequently passed tests and interviews knew no insider. Im proud of myself. its all in you man; best of luck to one and all!

1 Like

Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by exalt2009: 10:22pm On Jul 10, 2012
kunletiwoo: Whoever messaged me, I've just replied your massage with the necessary details on how to apply. Good luck

Pls i need info..i am waiting o
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Chyvy(f): 10:28pm On Jul 10, 2012
Hmmm
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by chemashie(m): 10:30pm On Jul 10, 2012
Anyone with right connection to any University or Polytechnic for lecturing job in the department of chemistry will be appreciated. I have 1st class in chem and currently a PG student(MSc Physical Chem) at Unilag. I am also a Teaching Assistant with chem dept, UNILAG. You can reach me on bankolemutolib@yahoo.com. Thanks all.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by INFO70: 10:43pm On Jul 10, 2012
ndcide:

done thanks.
Hi am interested. An engineer I am. Kindly send details. To bizlinkone@yahoo.com
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by INFO70: 11:25pm On Jul 10, 2012
Hello friends, I worked with indigenous oil company and resigned due to their silly polices main at cheating workers.My target is to work with a multi-national drilling fluids company like MI ,Baker Huges etc.
I am a MUD ENGINEER with five years concrete experience in different wells and rig types. Am perfect in completion fluid too
I would appreciate if someone can help me get a job -consulting or full employment. I don't care if conditions are attached to the job/consulting offer. Email me if you can help. Iandtresources@yahoo.com.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Christine01(f): 11:38pm On Jul 10, 2012
Hi nairalanders,

I studied Biochemistry, and I came out with a very good grade. I Just finished service and I need a job either I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ a research field or an industry. My email is anuanuloveu2@yahoo.com.
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by joy86: 11:49pm On Jul 10, 2012
@pendo89...you nailed it there,nice one
Re: How Did You Get Your Present Job? by Sike(m): 12:01am On Jul 11, 2012
Dextra: Well, I saw the advert on the internet (It has always been my dream to work in this field). Though my skill wasn't what they were looking for, I applied anyway. Afterward, I placed a call to the correspondence number and reminded the admin that I sent an application. She told me they are not hiring that time but will be hiring after three months so I should check back, however, she will keep my application in the database. Three months afterwards, I called again. It was a new admin, I told her I applied earlier for the job, she went through the database and saw my application but told me to update it and send some other stuff. Voila! I was invited for an interview. I lost the position to someone else who was more qualified. I was sad. 2 weeks later, the admin called me that there's another super position available if I was interested. This time, I was the only candidate for that position. That was how I got my present job. I never met any of the people working there until the day of my interview. My advice to job seekers is simple this: Be specific in the type of job or company you want and narrow your search in that direction. Most people are looking for ANY JOB Any job is no job. If you want to get into WHO, focus on WHO, learn about them, apply and follow up your application. Show them you have the passion to work with them (I don't mean BEG), be professional. After you apply, upgrade yourself with the required skills you need to be effective. Have a goal, don't just work for money. Enjoy the job. Thanks
WoW! I love this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Thank You Nairaland! I Got A Job / 80k Job In Sokoto Or Relocate To Abuja To Hustle Please Advice. / Does Applying With A Master In The Nigeria Army Give One A Better Rank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.