Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? (14163 Views)

10 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Indulge In Sex Before Marriage- Danceville / Men, Do You Consider A Woman's Boob Size? / Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by PetroG1: 9:41pm On Jul 12, 2012
izeek you were lucky, it was a risk you took with your spouse which all others shouldn’t try.
Let me take you down memory lane.
You know the people they call small witch when they were small (abiku) in yoruba language. it was our grandparents ignorance then, two people come together without checking their G-type and unfortunately the product is SS, lack of what to do will make the child die with pain. You won’t be happy because you brought that child to suffer.
When you are suppose to be happy that your child is in one activity with the peers you will be checking-in with the clinics.
I had a lecturer that risked it because of strong emotions and so claimed love, but she is now regretting that decision to go ahead with the man he loves, she has beautiful kids they happen to be 2 SS and 1 AS.
It depends on how they come. SS could come out as the first child and others could be AA.
Another thing is that when we talk about love, love is not selfish. It goes and extends to the people around you. You don’t want to tie that knot and when you have children you won’t enjoy your union which you said love conquers all.

Please don’t listen to IZEEK she/he might just be lucky but do not venture into it. Your children will curse you and the people around you will hate you for the inconveniences. You won’t be happy for the rest your life.
What else your money will go with the bills.
Love, emotions will fly away.

4 Likes

Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Burrito(f): 9:46pm On Jul 12, 2012
Biyi1471:
Supported. It's not easy to raise SS kids. I used to have one elder SS sister and a lovely younger one.. God we lost both of them to sickle cell. I noticed that most SS are always beautiful and lovely kids. It was always painful to witness their crises. My parents went through hard times trying to keep and maintain them. Anyways, we lost them.

I'm very sorry about your loss......

My dad's cousin and his wife had 4 sons, 3 SS and one AA. All the SS sons died within a few years of each other. I believe it caused a strain in their marriage, they are divorced now.

Sickle Cell Disease is a MAJOR MAJOR illness, even in the Western world where health care is advanced. Personally if i were born in this day and age as an SS kid to well educated parents, everytime i have a crisis, i will hate them o!
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Burrito(f): 9:50pm On Jul 12, 2012
dohyn: Firstly,let me correct this probability misconception..if u are AS and ur partner is AS,ur child can either be AA,AS or SS. This means that each pregnancy can only be one of the 3 and it's possible all the pregnancies are AA,AS or SS. There's nothing like 25% probability. U could lucky to have all ur kids AA and also, SS. I hope u get my drift. As for the AS,SC matter,it's not common..what we do have is AC,which is just like AS. I guess SC occurs when an AS marries an AC and they have a child with the SC genotype,which is just like SS but I can assure u,it's a worse type..so,if an AS marries an SC,the combinations that can result are AS,SS and SC. These means that each/all child(ren) borne can have any of the above combinations. It doesn't matter if u have 10 kids. The scenario is the same for each pregnancy and the best one can hope for is an AS. I hope I helped some

Nice! The only thing i'm not sure of is that SC is worse than SS, i believe they fare better with fewer and less severe crises.

The long and short story is that if they are chasing you from the village, the odds could play against you bad enough and you'd have 10 SS kids. Shine your eyes pipos!
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by PetroG1: 9:55pm On Jul 12, 2012
Lollycutie: .I support you,people lik u are those we need in the society 2day.love and comfortability is no longer a thing in and affair?its now weda ur genotype match?some pple suck.

lick me like a lolly pop....
By the time comfortability clear with the bills you will remember that those children will tell you to your face that you are wicked. if you were fat you will be lean like HIV activated person.
Love and comfortability ko use your head and think ni.
You better open your eyes and let your head work.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by dasparrow: 9:59pm On Jul 12, 2012
Mynd_44:
I don't care perhaps because I don't believe that the reason for marriage is biological kids. You can always adopt.

I agree with you but don't make the mistake to live in a place like Nigeria. Most Nigerians will make both you and your wife develop high blood pressure. Most Nigerians feel that marraige is solely for the reproduction of kids and when they don't see you reproducing kids biologically after marraige, they will seek to frustrate you and your wife. If you reside in the western world however, then no problem.

@Post

Knowing how many Africans and their descendants carry the sickle cell gene, it is a no brainer going for a genotype test before marraige.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Burrito(f): 10:06pm On Jul 12, 2012
AS-AS couples also have the option of amniocentesis.... if they have the time, money, courage and conscience to go through with it.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Freesia(f): 10:42pm On Jul 12, 2012
Time to do a test... are there any reasons to worry if there isn't anybody on paternal or maternal side of the family with SS?
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by alstacs(m): 2:05am On Jul 13, 2012
It is very important and I believe the government and families should make it a compulsory test before marriage. I am not saying they should prevent people from getting married but knowing would allow them have appropriate genetic counseling if 2 AS insist on getting married.
The psychosocial effect of sickle cell disease on parents, siblings and the rest of the extended families is so enormous that dreams, life aspirations and plans of people can hit the rock just because of a single sickler in the family.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by alstacs(m): 2:15am On Jul 13, 2012
All hope may not be lost however if 2 people with AS decide to get married. There are options but they need to be through intense therapy to prepare them.
They may decide not to have children- adoption or fostering may be considered

They may decide to damn the consequences and just have children and hope nature will be fair on them. They will however be prepared psychologically for any negative eventualities.

Test-tube babies (IVF) is becoming more popular and many options are being exploited. It may not be impossible to select the "babies" that will be planted into the woman to ensure they are free of sickle cell disease. This is however very expensive and may not be readily available especially in our country.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by alstacs(m): 2:23am On Jul 13, 2012
Even if you have always known your genotype, kindly repeat when you become mature before getting committed to anyone.

There are lots of issues of test results in Nigeria, it is not out of place to discover an "AA" who is actually AC or AS in pregnancy. Possibly lab error.

My sister had her genotype since we were young, repeated when she entered secondary school. She was however discovered to be AC actually in pregnancy.

My wife thought she was AA before we got married, she did the test as a kid, in secondary school and in the university. We discovered she is actually AS when she carried the pregnancy of our first baby.

Lab errors are real, pls repeat in at least 2 good places before you settle down

1 Like

Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Nobody: 3:35am On Jul 13, 2012
izeek: Sickle cell is just like any other disease out there, and so shudn't be made the alpha decision when settling down!

When u r inlove, its mostly ur feelings that count!
Am not saying it shud not be discussed, neither am I saying it shud be ignored, however am saying it takes more that genotype to breakup a strong union!

Am married to an as, and also as, and believe it or not we have two beautiful kids, a boy and a girl and they r both aa.

I av test results to show for them, before someone here says it me speaking by faith!

Its u and ur spouse really! Not ur folks, sibblings or even friends!
its possible u av AA u av won d gamble and not everyone will win a gamble moreover if u continue to give birth u can still birth ss so tell people to do d right thing and not things in ur own way
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Goldieluks: 4:04am On Jul 13, 2012
Every test is very important, both genotype, sexual health , physical health even mental health. grin
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by INFO70: 5:20am On Jul 13, 2012
No educated person on earth should marry without genotype test. A family I know much about got marriaged. Both of them are 'AS'. Four of their five children have sickel cell and they are passing through hell with the four children. Don't make that expensive mistake.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Alfoasegh: 10:08am On Jul 13, 2012
I have a relative who has AS and married someone with the AS genotype as well and they both have 5 children. Of the 5 children, 2 are AA, 1 AS and the remaining 2 SS.
Initially, whenever there was a crisis attack on either of the 2 SS kids, they usually pray together and are united. But these days, they quarrel and fight, cursing each other, and cursing the day they ever both ignorantly agreed to marry without having their genotypes checked for the sickle cell gene.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by IbnTimothy: 10:13am On Jul 13, 2012
[b][/b]
Mynd_44:
I don't care perhaps because I don't believe that the reason for marriage is biological kids. You can always adopt.

I have no intention of insulting you ...pls forgive me if I sound unpleasant

You appear to me as one so young and naive enough to ever think love is enough for marriage

My Take
Love is just one of the many things you need before marriage, cos love before marriage does not always translate to love in marriage. Marriage has so much ups and downs and you are not always in love. you will be happy, sad etc in marriage. Sometimes what hold your marriage is religions, sometimes love, sometimes children, sometimes pity, sometimes fear, sometimes fear-of-what-people-will-say, sometimes sweet memories of the past etc.... The truth is that you need all the reasons you can find to stay together.

Take the possibility of having children out of marriage and it will crash immediately after the honeymoon. New children bring inexplicable joy and love to a home (that love is much sweeter than honeymoon/university love).

If you don't have children yet, at least you should have hope. If you don't have sperm cells or ovules at all, at least you can take donated one, if you have no womb, you can opt for surrogacy ....etc. Deliberately going into a marriage with 25% change of bringing up sickling children in the name of love is simply wicked and selfish.... please don't call my God into such, HE has a lot people to attend to

I advise you to know the genotype of a girl/boy while he/she is still your friend ..... long before you start developing any form of affection for each other.

1 Like

Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by mspookie: 10:35am On Jul 13, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Really? She na me fail science abi na u? Hmmm..... Dis is interesticano!
ask my tteasher
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by mspookie: 10:36am On Jul 13, 2012
alexola20:
What's ur primary reason of getting married if not for kids?

when i make up my mind abt marraige,i will let u know,k?
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by mspookie: 10:37am On Jul 13, 2012
norrisman:

I dont believe this is possible. I believe AA and SS can only produce AS not AA or SS. i am willing to be educated though

Regards

my bad! i think i got it all wrong then. noted! thanks
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Adabar: 10:53am On Jul 13, 2012
@op : whatever it is , make sure that the genotype is done and ensure that both of you dont have the potential of bringing offsprings that are 'sickled'. Dont sacrifice your future on the basis of "love" no matter how strong u think it is cuz i tell ' love' surely has its own elastic limits......pause...how will you feel or wht answer are u gonna give if ur child looks strait into your eyes and asks "why did u bring me into the world to suffer? Think deeply and do it right.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 13, 2012
izeek: Sickle cell is just like any other disease out there, and so shudn't be made the alpha decision when settling down!

When u r inlove, its mostly ur feelings that count!
Am not saying it shud not be discussed, neither am I saying it shud be ignored, however am saying it takes more that genotype to breakup a strong union!

Am married to an as, and also as, and believe it or not we have two beautiful kids, a boy and a girl and they r both aa.

I av test results to show for them, before someone here says it me speaking by faith!

Its u and ur spouse really! Not ur folks, sibblings or even friends!

And who said ur next kid may not be SS? D burden of takin care of an SS kid will drain out almost all d love in ur marriage. Pray it neva hapns.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Mynd44: 2:14pm On Jul 13, 2012
dasparrow:

I agree with you but don't make the mistake to live in a place like Nigeria. Most Nigerians will make both you and your wife develop high blood pressure. Most Nigerians feel that marraige is solely for the reproduction of kids and when they don't see you reproducing kids biologically after marraige, they will seek to frustrate you and your wife. If you reside in the western world however, then no problem.

@Post

Knowing how many Africans and their descendants carry the sickle cell gene, it is a no brainer going for a genotype test before marraige.
And why should I let what people say affect me?
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by tiebe: 3:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
Lollycutie: .I support you,people lik u are those we need in the society 2day.love and comfortability is no longer a thing in and affair?its now weda ur genotype match?some pple suck.

Lets c if these same words comfort all those suffering from sickle cell anaemia. they should stop complaining bout all the pain they're going through because their parents had to 'marry for love and comfortablilty'. nobody is saying that its a written rule that AS and AS should not marry. just dnt have kids. or, go to a country where its possible to determine the genotype of a baby b4 its born. if na SS, do the unmentionable! and lets c hw many times you can handle that b4 u give up. cos in the end, its not the 2 love birds who suffer, its the SS children they bring into the world that suffer.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Jennykalu(f): 5:52pm On Jul 13, 2012
It's wickedness 2 bring kids in2 d world not 2 live but 2 suffer & die. I know a woman who gv birth to 4kids & buried 3. Her husband left 4 another woman. S.C anaemia is a serious case o.. Pls help d unborn n spear them from agony & pains.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by n0m0705(m): 7:10pm On Jul 13, 2012
dohyn: Firstly,let me correct this probability misconception..if u are AS and ur partner is AS,ur child can either be AA,AS or SS. This means that each pregnancy can only be one of the 3 and it's possible all the pregnancies are AA,AS or SS. There's nothing like 25% probability. U could lucky to have all ur kids AA and also, SS. I hope u get my drift. As for the AS,SC matter,it's not common..what we do have is AC,which is just like AS. I guess SC occurs when an AS marries an AC and they have a child with the SC genotype,which is just like SS but I can assure u,it's a worse type..so,if an AS marries an SC,the combinations that can result are AS,SS and SC. These means that each/all child(ren) borne can have any of the above combinations. It doesn't matter if u have 10 kids. The scenario is the same for each pregnancy and the best one can hope for is an AS. I hope I helped some

The probability stuff is not misconception,it is just a mathematical way of explaining what u wrote above. Concerning the C gene, from my little knowledge cos I am AC also, the C gene is just a mild form of sickle cell ,so an individual with a genotype SC will not be prone to crisis compare to the SS.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Aristoto: 7:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
Is there any chances for a man with AA genotype who marries a woman with AS to give birth to four kids with AA?
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by zeb04(f): 9:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
It is so important, I ask all my bf's dat after 3wks of datin. I rather end d r/ship than bring a child into d world dat I wil continualy feel sowi 4
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by zeb04(f): 9:30pm On Sep 17, 2013
It is so important, I ask all my bf's dat after 3wks of datin. I rather end d r/ship than bring a child into d world dat I wil continualy feel sowi 4. My bstfrnd is an ss, oh dear his crises were so terrible,it was always 2 painful 2 watch
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Nobody: 2:35am On Sep 18, 2013
I should have done that before we even began to get serious BUT if I realize I want to spend the rest of my life with you then, what the heck?
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by WhyAWhy(m): 4:07pm On Sep 26, 2013
Aristoto: Is there any chances for a man with AA genotype who marries a woman with AS to give birth to four kids with AA?
Yes. It's all subject to probability. But there's a higher probability that all the children are AA or AS
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by UjSizzle(f): 6:05pm On Sep 26, 2013
Mynd_44:
I wonder if you've changed your mind about this yet undecided

1 Like

Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by addictiv(m): 6:05pm On Sep 26, 2013
thats something you should put into consideration before the relationship even begins.
Re: Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? by Mynd44: 6:08pm On Sep 26, 2013
uj_sizzle:
I wonder if you've changed your mind about this yet undecided
Mind not changed yet and would never change.

I come from a place where we see every child as ours and I don't see what the big deal about biological kids is about

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Sister Had My Boyfriend's Baby. Forgive Her? Not? / what is the difference between first love and true love / Ladies, Camel-toe Is A Beautiful Thing, Flaunt It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.