Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? (25600 Views)

Who Says You Can't Make It Through The Internet. Do It On Fiverr Today! / Top 19 Lucrative Business You Can Start In Nigeria With Less Money / 5 Hot Business You Can Start With 10,000-100,000,000 Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by ttlabi: 1:34am On Jul 13, 2012
I graduated and left Nigeria for UK more than 15yrs ago, was suppose to do my masters but never get to do it. Since I came to UK I have been doing all kinds of odd jobs and barely surviving. Now am in my early 40s, tired and disappointed with nothing/little I have achieved. I have 2 kids living with their mum. And all I can show for my life struggle in all these years is just about £10,000.

I cannot continue like this.

Please can I make it in Nigeria? What can I do? Please advice me.

Please no fraudulent advice, I can smell fraud 1,000 miles away and I have never fallen to one, so don’t bother suggest one.

Thanks for your good advices in advance.

*********Some Update: ************

Thank you all for your advices.

Some answers:

My family is not coming back with me

There is a family house I can stay in Lagos or Ogun State for some months when I come.

Yes, if worse to the worse, I can still find go back to UK. (But I wish I wont have to come back to resume this life)

One of my regrets is not furthering my education or acquiring any new skill, worked most of my life at a warehouse.

Yes am hardworking and a good manager of resources.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Afam4eva(m): 4:35pm On Jul 13, 2012
My guy, it's better you come back. There's a whole lot you can do with that money in Naija. So many business opportunities waiting to be tapped.

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Siga: 4:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
Ahhhhh....10,000 poun.....e go tough gan ooo....but its possible...as per what to go into...at the mo...cant advise ooo... undecided
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 13, 2012
The solution is in your hands. U can either go into buying and selling anything u think u are knowledgeable about, or you can use any skill u possess to set up a business. I advise u maybe plough about £5,000 to start with. Think. No one will do that for u.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by SamuelAluko: 4:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
10,000 pd, i beg no try am at all, this contry no be like UK O.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Kobojunkie: 4:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
ttlabi: I graduated and left Nigeria for UK more than 15yrs ago, was suppose to do my masters but never get to do it. Since I came to UK I have been doing all kinds of odd jobs and barely surviving. Now am in my early 40s, tired and disappointed with nothing/little I have achieved. I have 2 kids living with their mum. And all I can show for my life struggle in all these years is just about £10,000.

I cannot continue like this.

Please can I make it in Nigeria? What can I do? Please advice me.

Please no fraudulent advice, I can smell fraud 1,000 miles away and I have never fallen to one, so don’t bother suggest one.

Thanks for your good advices in advance.

Do not go back if you have not made provision for

a) Electricity -- Look into Solar or Wind technology with batteries if possible. You would likely be more depressed if all you will be doing is going back to join the millions in darkness and hopelessly of the situation at this time.

b) Water

c) Food
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Osama10(m): 4:39pm On Jul 13, 2012
With that you can always start small and grow your business.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Siga: 4:40pm On Jul 13, 2012
Bros...make i ask sef....if kasala burst....u fit go back UK? or once u leave UK...no going back?

5 Likes

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by criticalmind(m): 4:44pm On Jul 13, 2012
I think it depends on your talent, skills and training. You can package your self by updating your CV if you have decided to go for a white collar job. Alternatively, you can think of establishing a business especially consultancy tailored to suit your relevant training and experience while abroad. In either ways, i think you have an added advantage of 'overseas experience' at least based on our mentality in this part of the world. Goodluck

4 Likes

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by dare2think: 4:45pm On Jul 13, 2012
Siga: Bros...make i ask sef....if kasala burst....u fit go back UK? or once u leave UK...no going back?

The most important question!
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by ektbear: 4:48pm On Jul 13, 2012
Hmm.

Interesting thread.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by economia: 4:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
Yes u can, if only u can be humble enough by starting a business with 1/10 of your capital. In 10 concecutive trails.

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 13, 2012
Bros, that's about 2.7 milla...you fit show if you get hustling spirit, here for Naija na survival of the fittest. Everybody na Local Government cos u generate ur power, provide ur water, etc. All the best!

6 Likes

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Afam4eva(m): 4:51pm On Jul 13, 2012
@OP
I think you need to go into the Igbo kind of hustling, which is buying and selling. That's if you don't already have something in mind.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by AnotherOkija: 4:51pm On Jul 13, 2012
afam4eva: My guy, it's better you come back. There's a whole lot you can do with that money in Naija. So many business opportunities waiting to be tapped.

I couldnt agree more.. Target a City like Ekiti State.. Buy like two Pickups for 1.5 million.. Employ some Ekiti State boys, go to their GRA and offer to come 3 times a week to carry and dispose of their trash for a fee.. You dont even have to touch the bin.. Just have your boys do it. EKITI is a poor state so they work for less than minimum wage.. Just one idea..
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Tsmooth1(m): 4:52pm On Jul 13, 2012
Yes, you should invest in Maiduguri because that is tge best place to invest now.
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Revolva(m): 4:52pm On Jul 13, 2012
Bro 10000 pounds chei iya charlie na up to 2.6 milla here am sure bro it will only do peasant business but let me yan you I advise you not to come back here and do business because the atmosphere is not friendly electricity which is the backbone here is a reck and again rent of business location like office will run you down if you wanna go into oil and gas .
Bro naija people dey hungry weller wish I was in ur shoes you don't need to worry too much at least you have fend for yourself come to naija slums and dense populated area men of your type don't ave money at all no where to turn to just managing peanuts

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Andrew3(m): 4:52pm On Jul 13, 2012
baba ijebu is very lucrative.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Afam4eva(m): 4:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
Another Okija:

I couldnt agree more.. Target a City like Ekiti State.. Buy like two Pickups for 1.5 million.. Employ some Ekiti State boys, go to their GRA and offer to come 3 times a week to carry and dispose of their trash for a fee.. You dont even have to touch the bin.. Just have your boys do it. EKITI is a poor state so they work for less than minimum wage.. Just one idea..
Why do i think this post is funny grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by toluxa1(m): 4:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
Better carry your money and come home. Even with 1million naira, people are setting up businesses that are successful and you'll double your money in a year with proper planning. My question is are you planning to come with your family?

3 Likes

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by buJu234: 4:55pm On Jul 13, 2012
that is abt 2.5Million naira.

first thing first; keep 1M in ur reserve acct.

with the balance.. jst look for things that are cheap in Europe and that are expensive in Nigeria

buy them; come down to Nigeria and sell them.
then go back to ur base in UK.

u can b doing that one in 2-3 mths; and i bet u will b making min. 300k profit.

simple.

if u want to b base here.. go 4 u... no wahala...
but plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
avoid the so called Big-man life....

3 Likes

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by ektbear: 4:55pm On Jul 13, 2012
I think the main challenge is that, of this 10k pounds, you'll spend some of it on airfaire, then a good chunk of it each month on food/housing/personal expenses.

Which are high in Nigeria period, but will be higher for you (since you are used to a UK lifestyle).

Which means that unless within 3-4 months of you arriving you start generating income, then you'll run out of cash.

So I dunno. A tough puzzle..
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by ektbear: 4:58pm On Jul 13, 2012
Honestly, staying in the UK may be your best bet. At least there is a social safety net there.

Otoh, if you go to Nigeria and things don't work out, then you are kinda screwed.

Unless you have some very likely opportunity available in Nigeria, probably best to stay where you are. The grass often is not greener..
Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2012
you can make a lot of money trading in some type of good or the other

there are bizarre markups on foreign goods in this country , but you need to find your own niche market

clothe, computers, baby stuff. .

2 Likes

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
Seek the face of God for guidance before coming back to Nigeria. Don't just jumped into any business without any knowledge of the particular business. Seek for an insight into small business you wish to invest in

5 Likes

Re: Can I Make It In Nigeria With Just £10,000? by kaiter: 5:03pm On Jul 13, 2012
I advise u maybe plough about £5,000 to start with. Think. No one will do that for u.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Bank Just Overpaid Me By 32k / Man Loses N180,000 To ‘magic’ Driver (pictured) / Devaluation: Naira Now N183 To The Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.