Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,158 members, 7,835,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? (14808 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / Authoritative View Of The Old Testament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 8:44pm On Jul 20, 2012
Martian:

I don't have any reason to tell you to discard your religion. Most of you are not mentaly equipped to deal with the existential angst that may come with realizing the non existence of your gods and the wishful thinking that gives you hope. Hold on to tightly to your faith.

Absurdism observes how people deal with the "meaning/meaninglessness of life".
Yours is the jewish fairy tale about yahweh's love/heaven/ hell and jesus.

^^^
well done, i wish Anony will get it this time and we wont have to repeat this.

nice reply to a gross deliberate misunderstanding of what atheism stands for.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 12:47am On Jul 21, 2012
cyrexx:

^^^
well done, i wish Anony will get it this time and we wont have to repeat this.

nice reply to a gross deliberate misunderstanding of what atheism stands for.

Lol, I never knew atheism stood for anything.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 1:02am On Jul 21, 2012
Martian:

Voting in accordance with their beliefs is cool,everyone does. What I'm pointing out is that there is no logical reason for what they oppose except the same old religious dogmas, but fortunately, living in a secular country ensures that their radical views are not enforced on others. Everything christians oppose is their prerogative, all I'm saying is that they shouldn't bother trying to enforce their views on society at large. If they don't like abortion amongst themselves, fine, but making it hard for others ho don't share their beliefs is jut asinine.

Though they're unwavering in their opposition to embryonic stem cell research, conservative Christians know they face a stiff uphill climb in the court of public opinion, especially after culturally conservative Missouri voters amended their state Constitution to protect embryonic stem cell research in 2006. The Christian right hasn't been able to reverse public support for embryonic stem cell research, but it has made progress. A Pew poll shows that support for embryonic stem cell research is eroding somewhat, from 57 percent in 2005 to 51 percent in 2007.
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/god-and-country/2009/03/09/the-politics-behind-obamas-embryonic-stem-cell-research-decision

You don't like stem cell research, fine. But don't try to stop progress just because your religious sensibilities are offended. You don't like it, then don't try to benefit from it.......................yeah right, christians would be inline with everybody else if stem cell research proves productive

You are simply ranting about christians that outvoted you and nothing more.

I'm not trying to present a "better truth" but to show you that your "truth" is just your belief. Your subjective beiefs are not universal and if you can understand this then you will understand "live and let live".
Where do you live by the way?
Lol, you cannot know for sure if "my truth" is subjective. In fact you don't know anything for sure. Each time you try pretend your statement is fact, you only succeed in making me laugh.
You are the worst kind of hypocrite. A hypocrite to everything.

By the way, I live in Surrey, England. you?

No!! Man!!! Having authority over someone doesn't mean that they are your master. You have a choice to walk away for any relationship, both professional and personal, but does a slave have that choice?
The "sin" is not in the oppression, the "sin" is the ownership of another human beings. Slavery is not the same as willingness to be under the authority of someone. considering the way some of you reason,it's no wonder your ancestors were enslaved and colonised for almost 400 years. slavery = serving?! The myopia must be genetic.
Slavery is not serving someone. It is being "owned" by someone. People get compensated for their service, slaves do not even have the right to demand compensation excpet food to keep them alive like livestock.
Lol, It is interesting how you seem to know exactly where the "sin" is. Come off it Martian, It is evident that your worldview is impeding your ability to make any sense.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 1:17am On Jul 21, 2012
Kay 17: I'm not playing any game, you already know its ridiculous to believe Love is the same element that binds all relationships.

There is no universal morality among communities around the world, even love plays diverse roles in the most unusual situations: incest. This is not of speculation or guesses, but a simple observation. AND you have been unable to provide otherwise. The best you can do is use your obscure morality to review others.

There is a huge difference between love and lust my friend. No relationship whatsoever can exist without an amount of love. for incest to occur, an unholy lust must come in.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 7:20am On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Lol, I never knew atheism stood for anything.

you will never know because your religion has successfully demonized everything that runs contrary to its belief system.
cool cool
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 7:32am On Jul 21, 2012
cyrexx:

you will never know because your religion has successfully demonized everything that runs contrary to its belief system.
cool cool
Lol, please enlighten me on the on the "principles of atheism"
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:21am On Jul 21, 2012
If only he were nicer, more intelligent and wiser, he would've made Mr Anony's endeavor of convincing us of his authority a whole lot easier. But as it stands...
thehomer:

Are you seriously saying that the God of the Bible is an authoritative source of morality? I ask because there are good reasons why he isn't worthy of being a source of morality.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:25am On Jul 21, 2012
Like the unholy lust that occurred amongst the bible god's own people, the alleged first family?
Mr_Anony:

There is a huge difference between love and lust my friend. No relationship whatsoever can exist without an amount of love. for incest to occur, an unholy lust must come in.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 10:37am On Jul 21, 2012
Jenwitemi: Like the unholy lust that occurred amongst the bible god's own people, the alleged first family?
Please before you butt into the argument from outer space please, read the criteria we set for the ultimate moral judge in pages 2 and 3.

6. It must not waver and must not change with the wind i.e. what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa(note this is different from it's permissiveness): The ultimate judge must be firm. what is evil must always be evil and what is good must always be good i.e good is rewarded and evil is punished, but this doesn't mean that If the judge chooses to be merciful and not punish an evil, that it automatically makes that evil good because the judge allowed it for the time being.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:53am On Jul 21, 2012
So what makes you think that your jewish god fits any of these criteria? The same bible - his own words, allegedly - clearly shows that he does not come even close to fitting any of the criteria. So on what grounds are your arguments based, because i don't see any. An authoritative source of morality who himself is immoral, evil to the core and parochial is only worth considering as a piece of butt joke.
Mr_Anony:
Please before you butt into the argument from outer space please, read the criteria we set for the ultimate moral judge in pages 2 and 3.

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 11:03am On Jul 21, 2012
Jenwitemi: So what makes you think that your jewish god fits any of these criteria? The same bible - his own words, allegedly - clearly shows that he does not come even close to fitting any of the criteria. So on what grounds are your arguments based, because i don't see any.
Then please judge my God by those criteria, point out where He fails and then provide a better moral judge. We have been throwing lots of gods against those standards for some days now. Be my guest, join in the fun.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 11:13am On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:

I thought Love was universal?! If so, why don't brothers exhibit among themselves or between their sisters??

This shows the hypocrisy of your morality.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 11:14am On Jul 21, 2012
Why is God not pleased with incest, pls tell me why!!
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 11:22am On Jul 21, 2012
Kay 17:

I thought Love was universal?! If so, why don't brothers exhibit among themselves or between their sisters??

This shows the hypocrisy of your morality.
Wow, did you really read the definition of love I posted? Have you really been reading anything I have been posting?

Kay 17: Why is God not pleased with incest, pls tell me why!!
I don't know. I can't even tell you why God is not pleased with murder. All I know is that it is alien to God's nature.
To know exactly why incest displeases God will need me to read God's mind and that will make me more powerful than God Himself. Obviously, I am not.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:26am On Jul 21, 2012
Very well then. I will use your own criteria.

a) It must not waver and must not change with the wind i.e. what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa(note this is different from it's permissiveness): = Your god wavers. He flip flops. He does not keep to the moral standards he set for normal jewish people himself. And don't dare tell me that he does not have to because he is a deity. If he wants to be seen as a deity, then that is exactly what he has to put himself under; LIVE AND LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Something he was not matured enough to pull off.

b) The ultimate judge must be firm. = Firm in what? In flip-flopping? The only thing he was firm in is indiscriminate and senseless butchery of innocent human beings.

c) what is evil must always be evil and what is good must always be good i.e good is rewarded and evil is punished,= how is this going to occur when your jewish god himself is the epitome of evil. That alone has totally discredited him from the onset.

d) but this doesn't mean that If the judge chooses to be merciful and not punish an evil, that it automatically makes that evil good because the judge allowed it for the time being. = your jewish god is a juvenile delinquent and should crawl back to his mama. When we are talking about moral authority, he should never come into mention.

Next!

Mr_Anony:
Then please judge my God by those criteria, point out where He fails and then provide a better moral judge. We have been throwing lots of gods against those standards for some days now. Be my guest, join in the fun.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 11:39am On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Wow, did you really read the definition of love I posted? Have you really been reading anything I have been posting?

I don't know. I can't even tell you why God is not pleased with murder. All I know is that it is alien to God's nature.
To know exactly why incest displeases God will need me to read God's mind and that will make me more powerful than God Himself. Obviously, I am not.

LOOL!! Total unsatisfactory!

If murder is not God's nature, why is the Bible filled with commands of murder?

3 Likes

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:47am On Jul 21, 2012
Thank you o jare! This Mr Anony is living in his own lala land.
Kay 17:

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 12:00pm On Jul 21, 2012
Kay 17:

Please define murder, then show me one example of God commanding anyone to commit murder
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 12:08pm On Jul 21, 2012
Jenwitemi: Very well then. I will use your own criteria.

a) It must not waver and must not change with the wind i.e. what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa(note this is different from it's permissiveness): = Your god wavers. He flip flops. He does not keep to the moral standards he set for normal jewish people himself. And don't dare tell me that he does not have to because he is a deity. If he wants to be seen as a deity, then that is exactly what he has to put himself under; LIVE AND LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Something he was not matured enough to pull off.
God's laws are subject to Him. He is not bound by them. He isn't trying to win public approval, He is already supreme.

b) The ultimate judge must be firm. = Firm in what? In flip-flopping? The only thing he was firm in is indiscriminate and senseless butchery of innocent human beings.
Lol, this is not even worth a response.

c) what is evil must always be evil and what is good must always be good i.e good is rewarded and evil is punished,= how is this going to occur when your jewish god himself is the epitome of evil. That alone has totally discredited him from the onset.
Remember, you haven't yet defined evil based on our criteria, so you are not justified in calling God evil.

d) but this doesn't mean that If the judge chooses to be merciful and not punish an evil, that it automatically makes that evil good because the judge allowed it for the time being. = your jewish god is a juvenile delinquent and should crawl back to his mama. When we are talking about moral authority, he should never come into mention.

Next!
Again more nonsense from you. I will advise you to go back to the beginning of the thread and go through it so that you can argue in context. You emotional responses are poor.

[/quote]
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:

You are simply ranting about christians that outvoted you and nothing more.

Lol, you cannot know for sure if "my truth" is subjective. In fact you don't know anything for sure. Each time you try pretend your statement is fact, you only succeed in making me laugh.
You are the worst kind of hypocrite. A hypocrite to everything.

By the way, I live in Surrey, England. you?

Lol, It is interesting how you seem to know exactly where the "sin" is. Come off it Martian, It is evident that your worldview is impeding your ability to make any sense.

lol, nothing worth replying
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Please define murder, then show me one example of God commanding anyone to commit murder

lmao, you'll just treat it like you treated slavery and try to redefine what it means.
Negro, you're black. Stop bending over backwards in order to defend jewish shenanigans found in that book.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 12:22pm On Jul 21, 2012
That is because using your jewish deity as an authority in morality is absolutely nonsensical. That is why you do not deserve a better answers than the ones i gave you. Your god is a moral stinker. Satan is a better moral authority than he was, according to the scriptures you hold dear, that is.
Mr_Anony:
God's laws are subject to Him. He is not bound by them. He isn't trying to win public approval, He is already supreme.

Lol, this is not even worth a response.

Remember, you haven't yet defined evil based on our criteria, so you are not justified in calling God evil.

Again more nonsense from you. I will advise you to go back to the beginning of the thread and go through it so that you can argue in context. You emotional responses are poor.

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 12:26pm On Jul 21, 2012
Are you sure he still knows who he is? He's been pumped so full of the shyte that he no longer knows what or who he is.
Martian:

lmao, you'll just treat it like you treated slavery and try to redefine what it mean.\
Negro, you're black. Stop bending over backwards in order to defend jewish shenanigans found in that book.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 12:26pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:

murder is defined as: The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another

how about this:

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)
Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)
If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)
All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)
A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

and my favorite, which actually makes him identical to Islamic Allah..

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God. Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

for more check out http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 21, 2012
Jenwitemi: Are you sure he still knows who he is? He's been pumped so full of the shyte that he no longer knows what or who he is.

Most of us black people are lost. And it's not even limited to Africa. Haiti has been independent since 1804 or something, yet they are the only third world country in the western hemisphere. Of course, 98% of them are highly religious but their country is a basket case.
Obsessed with going to some mythical jewish kingdom, while the world develops around them.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 12:37pm On Jul 21, 2012
cyrexx:

murder is defined as: The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another
Now how does any of those killings you mentioned become unlawful if it is the law itself that sanctions them?

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 12:45pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Now how does any of those killings you mentioned become unlawful if it is the law itself that sanctions them?

now, you lost me totally.

so, its lawful if a muslim blow you up by obeying Allah?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 12:54pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Murder = unjustified killing.

Joshua, Moses, Saul, David, Abraham; just to mention a few.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 12:56pm On Jul 21, 2012
@mr anony

All Hitler's commands of genocide went through the legal structure.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 1:00pm On Jul 21, 2012
Kay 17:

Murder = unjustified killing.

Joshua, Moses, Saul, David, Abraham; just to mention a few.
Doesn't this raise the question; Justified by who?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 1:02pm On Jul 21, 2012
cyrexx:

now, you lost me totally.

so, its lawful if a muslim blow you up by obeying Allah?
Allah will have to satisfy our criteria for ultimate moral judge then we will accept the lawfulness of the terrorist's actions.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 1:04pm On Jul 21, 2012
Kay 17: @mr anony

All Hitler's commands of genocide went through the legal structure.
So what? His law is not the ultimate law..........or maybe we can put Hitler to our little test.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Osun Ushers In 2021 With Inter-Religious Prayer (Pictures) / Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja / What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.