Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,216 members, 7,836,050 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? (14809 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / Authoritative View Of The Old Testament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Purist(m): 1:40pm On Jul 21, 2012
lmao. Mr Anony has tried his best, really. Isn't it telling that many of his brethren simply avoided this thread like a plague? It would have been better if he had simply gone the usual route of proclaiming that all his God-related beliefs are simply by faith, not logic, and he would have avoided all these long back and forth arguments.

A little advice from Pastor AIO:

Pastor AIO:
If you stopped trying to define God and stopped taking seriously those that do then you might find it a lot easier to deal with the evolution of morality. Or the evolution of absolutely everything else.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 1:41pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Allah will have to satisfy our criteria for ultimate moral judge then we will accept the lawfulness of the terrorist's actions.

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 1:42pm On Jul 21, 2012
Purist: lmao. Mr Anony has tried his best, really. Isn't it telling that many of his brethren simply avoided this thread like a plague? It would have been better if he had simply gone the usual route of proclaiming that all his God-related beliefs are simply by faith, not logic, and he would have avoided all these long back and forth arguments.

cool cool cool cool
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Purist(m): 1:42pm On Jul 21, 2012
Just to point out something here:

Mr_Anony:
Now how does any of those killings you mentioned become unlawful if it is the law itself that sanctions them?

Agreed, the law sanctioned those killings, making the act at that time lawful indeed. However, your implicit submission here implies that God has failed to meet one of the criteria you set for him (a result of trying to define God). It is the criteria that says:

"It must not waver and must not change with the wind i.e. what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa(note this is different from it's permissiveness)"

Today, we all know Jesus supposedly came to redefine certain things concerning the law (the story of the adulterous woman readily comes to mind). This therefore implies that God indeed wavered and changed with the wind. What was once good (and permissive) suddenly became evil (and not permissive).
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 1:43pm On Jul 21, 2012
cyrexx:

See page 2 and 3
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Purist(m): 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:

I'll quote myself from another thread. This is what I said:

".........I will go on to say that for anything to be a true standard for morality
1. It must be all-powerful or at least more powerful than man i.e. must be powerful enough to punish evil and reward good.
2. It must be omniscient i.e. must be able to properly know and understand everything and every motive
3. It must be all-seeing i.e. must be able to see a case from every possible angle. No evidence should escape it.
4. It's laws must agree with man's conscience but must be able to determine when man deviates from the dictates of his conscience.
5. It must be impartial and must deliver justice irrespective of persons.
6. It must not waver and must not change with the wind i.e. what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa(note this is different from it's permissiveness)
7. It must essentially be singular i.e. it must be of one mind and purpose and must not be self-contradicting.

It is to the extent that our legal systems meet these criteria that we justify them. Do you agree?"

And just as many others have pointed out, the Christian God barely meets these criteria, at least from all we know and read of him; #4, 5, 6 and 7 especially. Also, just about any other God meets criteria #1, 2 and 3. In fact, you only just succeeded - with this list - in lumping your god with every other god out there.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 1:58pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
See page 2 and 3

you mean this:

".........I will go on to say that for anything to be a true standard for morality
1. It must be all-powerful or at least more powerful than man i.e. must be powerful enough to punish evil and reward good.
2. It must be omniscient i.e. must be able to properly know and understand everything and every motive
3. It must be all-seeing i.e. must be able to see a case from every possible angle. No evidence should escape it.
4. It's laws must agree with man's conscience but must be able to determine when man deviates from the dictates of his conscience.
6. It must not waver and must not change with the wind i.e. what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa(note this is different from it's permissiveness)
7. It must essentially be singular i.e. it must be of one mind and purpose and must not be self-contradicting.

It is to the extent that our legal systems meet these criteria that we justify them."

now tell me why an islamic jihadist is not justified by own similar moral authority that you are using to justify Yahweh and his moral authority?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 2:10pm On Jul 21, 2012
Purist: Just to point out something here:

Agreed, the law sanctioned those killings, making the act at that time lawful indeed. However, your implicit submission here implies that God has failed to meet one of the criteria you set for him (a result of trying to define God). It is the criteria that says:

"It must not waver and must not change with the wind i.e. what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa(note this is different from it's permissiveness)"

Today, we all know Jesus supposedly came to redefine certain things concerning the law (the story of the adulterous woman readily comes to mind). This therefore implies that God indeed wavered and changed with the wind. What was once good (and permissive) suddenly became evil (and not permissive).
Fine, finally it seems someone is talking.

Jesus did not come to redefine morals. He came to fulfill the law. Sin is still sin. The only difference is that judgment has been - in a sense - postponed until after death.

1 Like

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 2:12pm On Jul 21, 2012
Purist:

And just as many others have pointed out, the Christian God barely meets these criteria, at least from all we know and read of him; #4, 5, 6 and 7 especially. Also, just about any other God meets criteria #1, 2 and 3. In fact, you only just succeeded - with this list - in lumping your god with every other god out there.
No I haven't. Pick any god you like and we can measure it/he/she against the criteria set.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 2:18pm On Jul 21, 2012
cyrexx:

you mean this:

It is to the extent that our legal systems meet these criteria that we justify them."

now tell me why an islamic jihadist is not justified by own similar moral authority that you are using to justify Yahweh and his moral authority?

The answer to your question is on page 7 of this thread. I'll quote.

Mr Anony

Ok so we all agree that they are all supreme but then there cannot be multiple supremes, there can only be one supreme. We'll start by comparing who is more supreme than the other.

Krishna fails at this point because Krishna has an origin and was not powerful enough to bring himself to be so he is not supreme enough he's out of the race.
The Sikh Holy Gurus were men (at least to the best of my knowledge) and this also dents their supremeness. They are also out of the race.
This leaves us with Allah and Yahweh who many believe to be the same but they can't be the same as one is monopersonal and the other is tripersonal. Now Allah by his nature contradicts his very essence because the muslims believe that Allah can love but that raises the question. If Allah can love, who or what did he love before the creation? If love came after the creation, it implies that love is not subject to allah but allah is subject to love. Allah is now out of the race.

We are left with Yahweh who I put it to you satisfies all the criteria better than anything else you can put up.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 2:26pm On Jul 21, 2012
^^^

true soldier of Christ indeed, well done,

and my reply to you is this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/985567/mind-control-mechanisms-religions
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:

This leaves us with Allah and Yahweh who many believe to be the same but they can't be the same as one is monopersonal and the other is tripersonal. Now Yahweh by his nature contradicts his very essence because the Christians believe that Yahweh can love but that raises the question. If Yahweh can love, who or what did he love before the creation? If love came after the creation, it implies that love is not subject to Yahweh but Yahweh is subject to love. Yahweh is now out of the race.

We are left with Allah who I put it to you satisfies all the criteria better than anything else you can put up.

Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Purist(m): 2:30pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Fine, finally it seems someone is talking.

Jesus did not come to redefine morals. He came to fulfill the law. Sin is still sin. The only difference is that judgment has been in a sense postponed until after death.

I didn't say Jesus came to redefine morals. According to the bible, his fulfillment of the law meant that we were no longer bound by the letter of the law, but by the spirit of the law. In essence, certain things that were lawful and permissive under the mosaic law (such as those in the verses cyrexx posted), became no longer permissive in the new dispensation (of grace). In other words, there was a change, there was a wavering. Now, if your list is anything to go by, the Christian God cannot be a true standard for morality since his failure to meet your criteria #6 has been demonstrated.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 2:30pm On Jul 21, 2012
@Martian, your poor attempt at parody.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony: @Martian, your poor attempt at parody.

Your beliefs are only fit for parody.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 2:42pm On Jul 21, 2012
Purist:

I didn't say Jesus came to redefine morals. According to the bible, his fulfillment of the law meant that we were no longer bound by the letter of the law, but by the spirit of the law. In essence, certain things that were lawful and permissive in the mosaic law (such as those in the verses cyrexx posted), became no longer permissive in the new dispensation (of grace). In other words, there was a change, there was a wavering. Now, if your list is anything to go by, the Christian God cannot be a true standard for morality since his failure to meet your criteria #6 has been demonstrated.

On the contrary, that is exactly why it meets criteria 6. Good is still good, evil is still evil. All that has been lifted is the punishments for evil need not be carried out within the time period of one's lifetime.

6.It must not waver and must not change with the wind i.e. what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa(note this is different from it's permissiveness)

For instance if the government for whatever reasons says that cases of theft will no longer be punished immediately but that criminals will be given the grace period of one month to make amends and return what they stole, failure to do which, they will now be arrested. It doesn't automatically legalize theft. It is simply a grace period. That's the difference between changing the law and the law's permissiveness.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 2:45pm On Jul 21, 2012
Martian:

Your beliefs are only fit for parody.

It is interesting how whenever you run out of meaningful things to say, you resort to mockery. Anyway, I don't have to keep replying you. Once again, you are welcome to the last word.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
It is interesting how whenever you run out of meaningful things to say, you resort to mockery. Anyway, I don't have to keep replying you. Once again, you are welcome to the last word.

What makes you think that your arguments are even viable. What's the difference between this

This leaves us with Allah and Yahweh who many believe to be the same but they can't be the same as one is monopersonal and the other is tripersonal. Now Allah by his nature contradicts his very essence because the muslims believe that Allah can love but that raises the question. If Allah can love, who or what did he love before the creation? If love came after the creation, it implies that love is not subject to allah but allah is subject to love. Allah is now out of the race.
We are left with Yahweh who I put it to you satisfies all the criteria better than anything else you can put up.

and this ............

This leaves us with Allah and Yahweh who many believe to be the same but they can't be the same as one is monopersonal and the other is tripersonal. Now Yahweh by his nature contradicts his very essence because the Christians believe that Yahweh can love but that raises the question. If Yahweh can love, who or what did he love before the creation? If love came after the creation, it implies that love is not subject to Yahweh but Yahweh is subject to love. Yahweh is now out of the race.
We are left with Allah who I put it to you satisfies all the criteria better than anything else you can put up.

If you think that parody is out of line, you've been drinking too much of the blood of jesus.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 3:01pm On Jul 21, 2012
Martian:

What makes you think that your arguments are even viable. What's the difference between this

and this ............

If you think that parody is out of line, you've been drinking too much of the blood of jesus.

Ok let me assume that you really don't know. Yahweh can love selflessly because there is a three person relationship in the Trinity. Allah cannot because it is him alone so all his love is selfish. If you cannot get it then ............oh well
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Kay17: 3:02pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Doesn't this raise the question; Justified by who?

No, not justified by ppl.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Purist(m): 4:37pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:

On the contrary, that is exactly why it meets criteria 6. Good is still good, evil is still evil. All that has been lifted is the punishments for evil need not be carried out within the time period of one's lifetime.

6.It must not waver and must not change with the wind i.e. what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa(note this is different from it's permissiveness)

For instance if the government for whatever reasons says that cases of theft will no longer be punished immediately but that criminals will be given the grace period of one month to make amends and return what they stole, failure to do which, they will now be arrested. It doesn't automatically legalize theft. It is simply a grace period. That's the difference between changing the law and the law's permissiveness.

@bold part: In other words, God CHANGED his methods. Exactly why he fails criteria #6.

Your analogy does not fit. If a government decided a particular punishment for a particular crime 20 years ago, and today, they decide that the punishment is no longer a good method, but instead, define a new kind of method to curtail the crime, wouldn't we be right to say that the government has changed/wavered? Wouldn't we say that the government has become softer or more cruel, depending on the nature of the law they have now come up with?

"what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa"

It was once good to stone adulterers as commanded by God. Today, it's an evil thing to do, as exemplified by Jesus (God). There has been a change. Criteria #6 has not been met.

And about trinity, it's not even a settled issue within Christianity. Many other Christians will vehemently disagree with your "three person relationship" hypothesis.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 4:53pm On Jul 21, 2012
Purist:

@bold part: In other words, God CHANGED his methods. Exactly why he fails criteria #6.

Your analogy does not fit. If a government decided a particular punishment for a particular crime 20 years ago, and today, they decide that the punishment is no longer a good method, but instead, define a new kind of method to curtail the crime, wouldn't we be right to say that the government has changed/wavered? Wouldn't we say that the government has become softer or more cruel, depending on the nature of the law they have now come up with?

"what was once evil will not suddenly become good and vice versa"

It was once good to stone adulterers as commanded by God. Today, it's an evil thing to do, as exemplified by Jesus (God). There has been a change. Criteria #6 has not been met.

And about trinity, it's not even a settled issue within Christianity. Many other Christians will vehemently disagree with your "three person relationship" hypothesis.
What are we arguing about? Please if you can, please read the thread from the beginning so you can argue in context.
The task was to find a moral standard by which we can say something is good or something is evil. It is not a moral standard to find what is "gooder" and what is "badder". If we do this, we are smack back into the realm of subjective morality which is no morality at all. That is the context in which those criteria were formed.
You are creating a strawman here by arguing over methods instead of what is morally right or morally wrong.

The text is very clear: The wavering shown there is on what is right vs wrong and not how it is punished or rewarded. The bracketed is even there to further clarify exactly what that criteria is.

Please don't change the meaning of the text just to force in your argument or lack thereof.

About what many "Christians" think, that is besides the point. Many christians think many different things.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 21, 2012
I have been following this thread from a distance for awhile now. My annoyance is just that I've been in an area with very poor Internet for a few days now so responding is a task. In addition to that Mr Anony has been holding up very nicely, he doesn't need much help. I'll keep following until I find something to answer. I can't find any now, Mr Anony has done all the work!
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 6:50pm On Jul 21, 2012
Ihedinobi: I have been following this thread from a distance for awhile now. My annoyance is just that I've been in an area with very poor Internet for a few days now so responding is a task. In addition to that Mr Anony has been holding up very nicely, he doesn't need much help. I'll keep following until I find something to answer. I can't find any now, Mr Anony has done all the work!

reminds me of the biblical story of Daniel's "spiritual" warfare with the Prince of Persia, when Gabriel was being hammered and pounded and couldn't get thru until Michael came and help him, a cool story i enjoyed from childhood.

nice and commendable coalition both of you in the S.A.F. (Spiritual Allied Force)
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 6:55pm On Jul 21, 2012
RAF (Religious Allied Force) more like it.
cyrexx:

nice and commendable coalition both of you in the S.A.F. (Spiritual Allied Force)
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:08pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr Anony, this is for you.

A person, whatever that person might want to be known by(angel, deity, fairy, whatever), who wants to be seen as a source of moral authority, must be ready to live an open life full of such wise and humane acts and deeds that every other human being would aspire to copy and emulate such in their own lives. That is my own idea of a moral authority personified or deified. This person or deity called yahweh is neither such a person nor such a deity.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by MrAnony1(m): 7:13pm On Jul 21, 2012
Jenwitemi: Mr Anony, this is for you.

A person, whatever that person might want to be known by(angel, deity, fairy, whatever), who wants to be seen as a source of moral authority, must be ready to live an open life full of such wise and humane acts and deeds that every other human being would aspire to copy and emulate such in their own lives. That is my own idea of a moral authority personified or deified. This person or deity called yahweh is neither such a person nor such a deity.
God ticked that box when He came in the flesh as Jesus Christ. I give you Jesus Christ as your standard for morality. Emulate Him and you can never go wrong.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 7:17pm On Jul 21, 2012
Jenwitemi: RAF (Religious Allied Force) more like it.

yea, you're right. religions exists while spirits dont exist.

nice.
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 7:22pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
God ticked that box when He came in the flesh as Jesus Christ. I give you Jesus Christ as your standard for morality. Emulate Him and you can never go wrong.

but why not emulate his father Yahweh, how do you separate a son's character from his father's especially when the father has not disowned his son and the son never condemned his father's actions?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:37pm On Jul 21, 2012
I can't emulate Jesus(even though i admire what he stood for) but the only thing i can do is be the best i can possibly be as a human being. More i cannot do. I am definitely not going to worship him. That's for sure.

Moreover, just for the record, i do neither believe nor accept that Jesus was the return of the butcher god Yahweh. Jesus was his own man and that showed in his ways which was far far away from that of the bloodthirsty butcher god of the OT.
Mr_Anony:
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:39pm On Jul 21, 2012
Were they even ever related?
cyrexx:

but why not emulate his father Yahweh, how do you separate a son's character from his father's especially when the father has not disowned his son and the son never condemned his father's actions?
Re: Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? by cyrexx: 7:46pm On Jul 21, 2012
Jenwitemi:
Moreover, just for the record, i do neither believe nor accept that Jesus was the return of the butcher god Yahweh. Jesus was his own man and that showed in his ways which was far far away from that of the bloodthirsty butcher god of the OT.

you see, that's the bad thing about what you know by faith.
if you can believe one thing by faith, then you can believe anything by faith, no matter how absurd it sounds.
to believe Jesus is Yahweh who got Mary pregnant to give birth to himself, he later pray to himself, annointed himself, gave himself holy spirit, undo his own work by saving the people he himself had condemned etc etc etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Osun Ushers In 2021 With Inter-Religious Prayer (Pictures) / Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja / What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.