Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (98) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (308480 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 10:45pm On Oct 19, 2012
walex57:
Not necessarily, The VOs are smart, they know that from statistics, only about 3% or less of all international students who school in the USA actually return back to their countries, Yes, it may be tough at the first instance but believe me, if you graduate here in the US especially at masters level, na the companies go dey look for you. so the VO wants to make sure that even if you don't return to Nigeria, you'll be useful in the US...another point to make here is that, when they say "ties" many of us streamline our knowledge to only tangible stuff, NO!....working experience alone is a tie, having to talk about companies and industries that can employ you on your return is a tie, in fact, applying also to a Nigeria university for masters is a tie (shows you aren't desperate for their country) and pls for others who wanna apply don't apply only to schools in US, apply to schools in the UK, Nigeria, Australia as well, i tell it's a strong point for you even if na only one school u apply to for US...Don't stand like number "1" while answering the VO especially when it comes to explanatory questions, demonstrate! it shows signs that you know what you're doing even if e no click. Also, many people don't wanna hear this but it's the fact.
Your command of English matters, If you dey throway bombs at the VO, you don wound am already so in order to escape from you he or she go deny you quick quick... poppylilly, make sure if possible, you get an admission letter sent to you by air mail not online printout. and get new documents such as new bank details, new sponsorship letter, new almost everything, modified of course, u dig?...I wish you all the very best and expect a shout of joy from you...I hail everyone here from my base in CA. grin grin grin grin
You got me laughing real hard here... grin grin

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 11:02pm On Oct 19, 2012
tochionwualo@ya:

PLS I NEED GMAT AND TOEFL MATERIAL. THANKS- THROUGH MY MAIL BOX..tochionwualo@yahoo.com
Sent.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 19, 2012
kpolli:

firstlogic in ikeja or VI
Thank you kpolli
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 11:30pm On Oct 19, 2012
@poopppyLiillyy:

Just like Walex57 said, you need to be more convincing when you communicate with the VO. Its OK if they don't ask typical questions like, why US? Why XYZ University..... You have to state your case in the best way possible. Think of the question broadly, and link important info to them.

Most importantly, remember that you're considered a potential migrant so you need to establish strong ties with Nigeria (From the excerpts of your interview, I think you did that just fine). I think you need to practice in front of a mirror. Practice your answers to all the questions from part 1 of this thread using strong points to sell yourself.

I think Oct 22 is too soon. Please chill till mid/late- November to prepare. Even if your school waived standardized tests, you should have written TOEFL/IELTS. The VO wants to see your academic abilities and your preparedness on studies. Even though some people got their visa w/o test scores, opting out could be seen academically as lazy/unprepared *I think.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by lanrypaddy: 12:07am On Oct 20, 2012
poopppyLiillyy:

Wow,thanks a lot!but what of if d VO doesn't ask any of those Questions like Why US or d school? Cos both weren't askd from me in my 2previous interviews.

I just think there is somtn more than all the Qstns this ppl need that we don't knw,cos I was confidence enough,infact confidence isn't the Problem.Mayb they just enjoy wastn our money or d seen d game of desperation in us,cos me ehn,I don tire o!!!

If he doesn't ask dat 4rm You, that means your first response about what are Ʊ going 2 do in US? Was not satisfactory enough or the VO doesn't see any boldness in you †̥ show that You are ready 4 a one on one conversation ωΐт̃ђ him/ her...your body language and ways Ʊ respond 2 questions matters a lot...work on that and You can practice in front of mirror...I talk M̶̲̥̅Ɣ own ooo...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 12:19am On Oct 20, 2012
Yvete: @poopppyLiillyy:

Just like Walex57 said, you need to be more convincing when you communicate with the VO. Its OK if the VO don't ask typical questions like, why US? Why XYZ University..... You have to state your case in the best way possible. Think of the question broadly, and link important info to them.

Most importantly, remember that you're considered a potential migrant so you need to establish strong ties with Nigeria (From the excerpts of your interview, I think you did that just fine). I think you need to practice in front of a mirror. Practice your answers to all the questions from part 1 of this thread using strong points to sell yourself.

I think Oct 22 is too soon. Please chill till mid/late- November to prepare. Even if your school waived standardized tests, you should have written TOEFL/IELTS. The VO wants to see your academic abilities and your preparedness on studies. Even though some people got their visa w/o test scores, opting out could be seen academically as lazy/unprepared *I think.

Bravo!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by mrswagger: 1:15am On Oct 20, 2012
jimtosam:

Try www.eiu.com, www.siu.com and www.wiu.com .. All in Illinois, affordable and very low cost of living and high chance of GA in your second semester if you cant get in the first semester....Though, they are not in big cities.

Thanks @Jimtosam. God Bless you. I will check them out right now.. Mehn no dulling oooo. On point.. Thanks man.. Cheers..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by mrswagger: 1:35am On Oct 20, 2012
masterprad:

What Should You Do In Case of a 214b Visa Denial?

If you were refused a visa under section 214(b), you may reapply. When you do, you will have to show further evidence of your ties or how your circumstances have changed since the time of the original application.

First, carefully review your situation and realistically evaluate your ties. You may want to write down on paper an outline of what qualifying ties you think you have that may not have been properly evaluated at the time of your interview with the consular officer. Also, you should review any documents that were submitted for the consul to consider, and look at what documents could have been presented that weren’t.

It may help to answer the following questions before reapplying:
Did you explain your situation accurately?
Did the consular officer overlook something?
Is there any additional information you can present to establish your residence and strong ties abroad?

The guy should have take the Gre or Gmat, I guess his chances would have been high. He didn't convince the VO enough that he was serious and going for masters. Pls let him try to do Gre.. And be prepared for the interview.. No worries and fears.. God Rules...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by mrswagger: 2:14am On Oct 20, 2012
bigfrancis21:
I'll suggest some good universities for you:
1) University of Tennessee.
2) University of Alabama.
3) University of Illinois.
4) University of Connecticut.
These universities offer full tuition waivers (you wouldn't have to pay tuition) if you're awarded a scholarship (called fellowship at graduate level) or graduate assistantship. They are also good academically.
My own two coins.

Thanks alot @Bigfrancis, I appreciate your kind gesture. After during my research I discovered that most schools in USA give assistanship or grants to graduate students. Those going for masters... But I intend going for undergraduate for fall 2013... Are these schools you listed giving funding or grants to undergraduates?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by emmanuelkim: 2:32am On Oct 20, 2012
dr_dolittle:

Hey dear..sorry about the denials.

First, I hope no one filed for an immigrant visa for you and I hope you ain't a current winner in the visa lottery stuff.

Just fill out your ds 160 form as carefully and truthfully as possible but make sure all cogent and sensitive data remain as consistent as possible. Do not alter very sensitive data...make sure they are the same with the formerly filled ds 160 forms. How did your first interview go? What were the questions asked of you?

If your passport aint more than 6 months old, then you dont have any need for another.Just hold at least 2 of them.
Try ask your dad to get a bank letter of introduction that states that he is the owner of the account.
Ask your dad to get a letter of employment from his company too(might not be necessary but may be useful in beating all odds).
Make sure the funds in the account well exceeds the amount on the I-20.

You can put on anything that is decent and makes you comfortable.

Please state the documents you have ready, your graduation year, your present occupation and so on and let us make sure you are well groomed for the next interview.

I will also be going soon, but in my last DS-160, I did not put that i have graduated o, it was during the interview that i told the VO That i have a first degree, Also in my last ds-160 i put not employed because i was working for my Dad, but if put it now, will it make any difference considering the fact that my dad do not pay me through but cheque, also i have a Non-registered business in Nigeria,should i put all this in my New DS-160 Form, why am asking all this question, i want to show a strong tie to Nigeria

Please what do you advice my on this bothering question
Abuja embassy is too cold, almost shaking inside, what should i do?
What if the VO ask me that You already have a first degree, why going for a first degree?

This question is failing most of us that have gone before to interview before
what if the VO said 'why do u want to change career?
When Did you finish high school?
What have you been doing?

Please Imperioux, dr_dolittle, kpoli, king01,justwise i need a cogent solution to this questions, please read, digest and provide solution to it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by emmanuelkim: 2:49am On Oct 20, 2012
Please you guys have been complaining that we are not posting, the reason i stop is that no one want to help again, just because some of you that have gotten your VISA, you have forgotten that you started like this, But that God for the likes of Imperioux, dr_dolittle, kpoli, king01,justwise, despite their study they still find the time to come and solve some problems, May God bless you all that have been trying to carry us along,

please this are the issue bothering me, Even if we are going to the part 4, i will need a 100% advice there too, please you guy should not fail to answer this question?

must read: In my first DS-160 Form that i filled,before the interview, instead of putting parent as sponsor, i put self and also i use my friend address, but when i called the embassy, they told me to fill a new DS-160 from, so i filled it and made those correction, could it be the reason the VO was just typing and typing and gave me the white slip

I will also be going soon, but in my last DS-160, I did not put that i have graduated o, it was during the interview that i told the VO That i have a first degree, Also in my last ds-160 i put not employed because i was working for my Dad, but if put it now, will it make any difference considering the fact that my dad do not pay me through but cheque, also i have a Non-registered business in Nigeria,should i put all this in my New DS-160 Form, why am asking all this question, i want to show a strong tie to Nigeria

What if the VO ask me that You already have a first degree, why going for a first degree?

Please should i add those changes in my new DS-160 Form
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by emmanuelkim: 3:07am On Oct 20, 2012
jimtosam:

While waiting for your I-20, are you preparing other required docs?

please this are the issue bothering me, Even if we are going to the part 4, i will need a 100% advice there too, please you guy should not fail to answer this question?

must read: In my first DS-160 Form that i filled,before the interview, instead of putting parent as sponsor, i put self and also i use my friend address, but when i called the embassy, they told me to fill a new DS-160 from, so i filled it and made those correction, could it be the reason the VO was just typing and typing and gave me the white slip

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 3:29am On Oct 20, 2012
@ Emmanuelkim

I may not have all the answers to your question, but going for a Post-bacc (Second degree bachelor's) is acceptable provided you give good reasons why you deserve another chance.

VO: Why are you going for another bachelor instead of a master? (Purpose: To test your honesty)
Good Answer: I have a bachelors degree from xyz university, and initially intended to apply for a masters program, but because of my non-technical academic background, I was advised by the program advisor to transfer my credit to a post-bacc degree for one year which will continue into the masters program.

VO: Why do you want to change career?
Good answer: Do some soul searching to find the answers. Didn't you write a statement of purpose? You can explain that you were opportune to intern with a company in that field and found it very lucrative, or that you developed passion from the course from a job opportunity.

"This question is failing most of us that have gone before to interview before
What have you been doing?" ......... Really? I don't think anyone knows these better than you do.

IMO, you can also state that you run a private business as well. Strengthen your home ties with accurate information. As for the cold, either you rub heavy Vaseline all over your body or wear a jacket grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 5:07am On Oct 20, 2012
emmanuelkim:

Please Imperioux, dr_dolittle, kpoli, king01,justwise i need a cogent solution to this questions, please read, digest and provide solution to it

Am also asking, y do u want another first degree??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 5:13am On Oct 20, 2012
emmanuelkim: Please you guys have been complaining that we are not posting, the reason i stop is that no one want to help again, just because some of you that have gotten your VISA, you have forgotten that you started like this, But that God for the likes of Imperioux, dr_dolittle, kpoli, king01,justwise, despite their study they still find the time to come and solve some problems, May God bless you all that have been trying to carry us along,

As yvete said, ur statement of purpose should help u on y ur going for another degree. . . Put ur working for ur dad, but not show about ur private biz since its unregistered and myt make it seem u formed it for the interview. . . . As long as ur statement of acct shows a certain cheque enters ur acct every month, its fine. . . . There r jobs like that here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by drslip: 7:54am On Oct 20, 2012
@ ronald2g1 pls send me ya e-mail..thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 8:50am On Oct 20, 2012
Ferdiii I replied you saying BSc. But you no give me answer na. How much, How do I pay and write the exam. Thanks

ferdiii:

Bsc,Ms or Phd?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by franklynx(m): 8:51am On Oct 20, 2012
dnpasion: House please I need your advice. On my I-20, it was beeen written and I quote "This School Requires English Proficiency" and under they wrote " The student has the required English Proficiency". Does this mean that they have given me a waiver in writing TOEFL? Because the school told me that its not necessary for student from nigeria to write it and I was been given admission without the exam. So please I need u guys to explain in details to me what they meant by the sentences I quoted above. Thanks

Mine was written 'The student is not yet proficient'...tho their initial admission requirements excludes TOEFL dats y i didn't write/include the TOEFL then. Can The VO use dat reason 4 denial wat d u guys think.. tho am planning to take the TOEFL soon to mitigate that occurrence or as a proof of my English proficiency..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dnpasion(m): 9:25am On Oct 20, 2012
House please does anyone know if the original 2009 Neco certificiate is out because I have with me only the statment of result I got from my school and I also have with me the notarize copy. In case if the original is not yet out, can I go with the two ( Statement of result and the notarized copy)?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 10:24am On Oct 20, 2012
Anthonymighty: Ferdiii I replied you saying BSc. But you no give me answer na. How much, How do I pay and write the exam. Thanks

Okay. Go to www.ets.org, create an account, know the venue you want,date and get back to me.It is N40K.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 11:44am On Oct 20, 2012
bigfrancis21:
I'll suggest some good universities for you:
1) University of Tennessee.
2) University of Alabama.
3) University of Illinois.
4) University of Connecticut.
These universities offer full tuition waivers (you wouldn't have to pay tuition) if you're awarded a scholarship (called fellowship at graduate level) or graduate assistantship. They are also good academically.
My own two coins.

You see those University of States you mentioned......All na sit right to enter, in-state students pass through eye of needle to get major state colleges admissions. You guys shouldn't forget about their percent rate of admission when searching.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by franklynx(m): 12:20pm On Oct 20, 2012
franklynx:

Mine was written 'The student is not yet proficient'...tho their initial admission requirements excludes TOEFL dats y i didn't write/include the TOEFL then. Can The VO use dat reason 4 denial wat d u guys think.. tho am planning to take the TOEFL soon to mitigate that occurrence or as a proof of my English proficiency..

Abeg make una reply me naa..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 12:54pm On Oct 20, 2012
emmanuelkim:

The main reason why long gap between one degree and desire to continue abroad especially US (where studying is like going to war) matters is that the weak in learning hardly survive here (either internationals or Americans). This is the fact, studying in US requires your brain retaining fresh record of your field. That's why VOs believe that standardized test is important even at the slightest gap in applicant's studies. America practices continuation of education with no gap to enhance assimilation, though many of them fall out too.

Secondly, imagine you have been nurtured, indoctrinated for 4 to 5 years in a field and all of a sudden you decided to go contrary to that. Tell me without any bias, if you are a VO won't you like to be convinced beyond any reasonable doubt before you take to the applicant's ideology?

Thirdly, let's say after high school as a science student, I got a sales job for 3 to 5 years, later found myself back in science field at a higher level. Don't you think for the first few semesters, my brain can unconsciously be taking 50 ml(value for volume) to be 50 million naira (value for money) or 2 atm (value for atmospheric pressure) to be 2 ATM (automated teller machine - money dispenser)? Reason is because after one degree, I stopped for awhile and the brain aged everyday keeping only few past imparted memories but mostly the recent.

You see? Many will always fall for these reasons, though role of favor and attack as the best form of defense can't be underrated in those cases. Best of luck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by mrswagger: 5:09pm On Oct 20, 2012
imperiouxx:

You see those University of States you mentioned......All na sit right to enter, in-state students pass through eye of needle to get major state colleges admissions. You guys shouldn't forget about their percent rate of admission when searching.

@Oga Imperiouxx you took d word outta my mouth..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 7:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
franklynx:

Your still asking, better enroll for TOEFL as soon as u see this
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 8:43pm On Oct 20, 2012
franklynx:

Bro I think you have to take the exam o....even mine states that the student has all the required English proficiency.....and I'm still doing the exam . Your i20 states it all....it means you are not yet proficient and need to show evidence that you are proficient. By taking an English proficiency exam...don't be surprise if the VO banks on that during interview. Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ekundayomi: 11:05pm On Oct 20, 2012
ferdiii:

U get to see ur results after 15 days online and get the hard copy one month after.

Where can i register for toefl and how much does it cost.

Thank YOU..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by king14: 2:04am On Oct 21, 2012
[quote author=emmanuelkim]Please you guys have been complaining that we are not posting, the reason i stop is that no one want to help again, just because some of you that have gotten your VISA, you have forgotten that you started like this, But that God for the likes of Imperioux, dr_dolittle, kpoli, king01,justwise, despite their study they still find the time to come and solve some problems, May God bless you all that have been trying to carry us along,

Please should i add those changes in my new DS-160 Form[/quote

My brother,

Avoid complicating your case too much, too many changes in an application indicates something fishy. you should have written all this initially, but let us get down to the point. Include any changes you want to include in your new form and have paperwork to justify it. For instance if the VO ask :do you have a first degree, say yes at the same time reaching for your diploma. If asked: do you have a working experience? Say yes at the same time reach for a letter of introduction (multitasking). Use body gestures, it's normally a non conscious way of expression, act it on a regular basis before your interview so you can express yourself better. Having a degree and going for another degree doesn't decrease your chances in any way. They are Americans not Africans. Many professionals here have multiple first degree or masters degree. They do this if they believe a previous curriculum wasn't efficient. So you can use that as an excuse. Simply say your curriculum from Nigeria does not put you in the best position to enroll for grad studies. In a nutshell you believe you are not fully toweled for grad school.
The part of changing career I need to know from what to what to advise accordingly. However have a good explanation if its too distinct. Prepare yourself maintain eye contact and understand that whatever is on that computer is against you and the only thing or person that can convince the VO is you. This will give you a better motivation.

At all: for those that have not had any encounter with the US embassy before be sure to carefully fill out your Ds form properly. That information remains in the database and can work against you anytime, even when you want to renew your visa in the states. I still have a copy of mine so I don't forget any details should I have to encounter department of states in the nearest future.

Wishing all spring applicants the best of God and deeverick too

Cheers

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 21, 2012
ekundayomi:

Where can i register for toefl and how much does it cost.

Thank YOU..

No idea.However I can do it for you at N40K.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bomly(f): 11:03am On Oct 21, 2012
Hello House, Please I need help with the required documents for F-1 Visa renewal.

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ronald2g1(m): 4:26pm On Oct 21, 2012
[/color][color=#000099] Hello house, please I like to be enlightened on 2 things pls, pls is it an added advantage, also will it boosy ones chances @ d embassy to pay down like 20% of the school fees before goin for interview? @imperiouxx pls since you well diverse, I will need ur candid advice on this and frm the house too
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Ishowdels(m): 4:49pm On Oct 21, 2012
Pals pls am in need of GRE and TOEFL materials,my email is agbode09@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Need Help With Direction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.