Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (421) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (893105 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (418) (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) ... (433) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 3:51am On Jan 03
oladele239:

Ok
Apparently the check engine light was disabled as you said. Here's my complete dashboard
It's v4

Chai! It's a pity cry

Well at least try to look at the bright side, now you can go ahead to get a scan and see what is really causing your bad mpg problem.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oladele239(m): 1:07pm On Jan 03
Conner44:

This particular type of vehicle is fairly easy to troubleshoot. What engine does yours have? V6 or 4plugs? Well since you say you currently have no check engine light displayed on your dash and you're sure it has never displayed since you got the vehicle then I'd hazard a guess that either one of the following four things are involved . . .

1. Your vehicle had maybe displayed an error code but it cleared itself and went into the temporary DTC storage in the brainbox (it won't keep the check engine light permanently displayed) but the issue might still be there. A scan would let you know for sure.

2. Your vehicle is running in an open loop continuously (radiator cooling fans wired directly to ignition and thermostat removed) which will always make your vehicle consume more fuel no matter what because the engine will always be cold.

3. Your IACV (throttle body) is malfunctioning because of a vacuum leak. You will have to check your engine idle speed and maybe perform an idle relearn procedure to get your engine's rpm range back to default settings. It's usually between 700rpm - 850rpm when the gearbox is put in park or neutral mode P or N . So check to make sure your vehicle is idling properly.

4. Maybe you bought bad fuel that burns fast OR Your fuel level guage isn't properly calibrated (the sender unit on the fuel pump housing in the fuel tank has some issue or the floater rod is bent) , a mechanic can check this out for you later whenever you are changing the fuel pump. Sometimes mechanics can be careless and hit the fuel pump housing and it can lead to such issues.

It is also possible (especially if you recently purchased this vehicle) the seller has found a way to disable the check engine light to decieve the buyer into believing that all is well. The way to rule out this issue is by observing if the check engine light actually llights up once you insert and turn the ignition key to the II position and goes off once you've successfully cranked the car.

In all the pictures you've been uploading you've only been focusing on your fuel guage area. Don't you know the information on the entire cluster is relevant and necessary for troubleshooting issues? That's the window into your vehicle's wellbeing.

Next time take two pictures for me to see if your issue can easily be resolved online. Take one clear picture of your entire instrument cluster once you start the vehicle up cold (probably after it has been parked overnight) then drive it somewhere for 30 mins, park somewhere without shutting off the engine and take another picture of your instrument cluster again and post them here.

Scanned today
I was told thermostat is absent
Plus upstream 02 sensor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 1:12pm On Jan 03
oladele239:

Scanned today
Plus upstream 02 sensor

Yup just as I suspected. Those two issues will make your fuel dissappear like smoke in the wind.

Your upstream O2 sensor is the one fixed into the pipe just near your engine's exhaust manifold. Check it's wiring and get a proper replacement to fix that issue.

Then go to the market, ask for any shop where they sell tokumbo honda k24 engines. Ask the seller to remove a thermostat from one of their engine's for sale and allow you buy it then fix it in your engine.

You should see a remarkable improvement with your mpg after doing these. Then don't forget to call up and swear for whoever sold the vehicle to you after disabling the check engine light.

Cheers.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oladele239(m): 5:17pm On Jan 03
Conner44:

Yup just as I suspected. Those two issues will make your fuel dissappear like smoke in the wind.

Your upstream O2 sensor is the one fixed into the pipe just near your engine's exhaust manifold. Check it's wiring and get a proper replacement to fix that issue.

Then go to the market, ask for any shop where they sell tokumbo honda k24 engines. Ask the seller to remove a thermostat from one of their engine's for sale and allow you buy it then fix it in your engine.

You should see a remarkable improvement with your mpg after doing these. Then don't forget to call up and swear for whoever sold the vehicle to you after disabling the check engine light.

Cheers.

Thank you so much for your input
I quite appreciate πŸ™

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by jceesquare(m): 6:00am On Jan 04
oladele239:

Thank you so much for your input
I quite appreciate πŸ™
Just to add to what you were advised.
It's better to leave your exhaust cat free than clogging it up with fake cats or wire mesh. You'll suffocate your engine and kill it if you do.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by PawsitiveBro(m): 11:53am On Jan 04
Using the right tyres for your vehicle is one of the ways to maintain your car and also safeguard your life and other road users.

That is why TyreBay is here to provide you with high quality tyres for cars and trucks.
DM me on WhatsApp for deal.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ThePundit14(m): 6:52pm On Jan 04
Boss. Happy New Year. Where have you been? Dropped.series of messages for you on WhatsApp but not delivering at all. How can i reach you sir

Conner44:

Cheers.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 7:38pm On Jan 04
ThePundit14:

Boss. Happy New Year. Where have you been? Dropped.series of messages for you on WhatsApp but not delivering at all. How can i reach you sir

ThePundit14
oladele239

If you have telegram add me up so we can chat there. My username is @lilikech

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oladele239(m): 8:20pm On Jan 04
Conner44:

I'll quote you on a dead thread bro. Happy New year to you too.

I need your number too please
Mine is on my signature, I'd be glad if you can buzz me so I can save yours πŸ’“
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oladele239(m): 8:21pm On Jan 04
Had the 02 sensor of my EOD changed today due to poor mpg , though fan and thermostat are yet to be restored.

Another issue I'm having now is car jerks while I'm driving
I had the TP sensor changed at a point when I noticed same thing earlier on.

Since the TP sensor was changed the jerking has steadily increased. Please what could be the issue and is it possible it wasn't well set or calibrated.

Or I need to look out for another issue
I'm really stressed 😫
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Niyijac: 9:19am On Jan 05
Change your spark plugs. Check the car manual for the recommended one... could be pricey but worth it

oladele239:
Had the 02 sensor of my EOD changed today due to poor mpg , though fan and thermostat are yet to be restored.

Since the TP sensor was changed the jerking has steadily increased. Please what could be the issue and is it possible it wasn't well set or calibrated.

I'm really stressed 😫
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oladele239(m): 6:54pm On Jan 05
How much is DW 1
Original
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by CrownedPhoenix: 7:41pm On Jan 05
Pls does anyone have an idea how much Accord 05 EOD 4cylinder engine might cost?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by FineUsername(m): 12:14pm On Jan 06

What’s the best battery brand to get for my Accord 2013? Thanks.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by berbs112(m): 2:58pm On Jan 06
This jerking is it at a particular RPM? I have experienced some serious jerking with my EOD in the past and it has to do with the Ivtec sensor when I scanned.

It usually happen at 80km/h serious jerking oo.

oladele239:

I'm really stressed 😫
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by obinnanelson04: 3:12pm On Jan 06
chukel:
clogged pcv valve will lead to oil leaks from valve cover. And since it's a Honda, o yes, he needs to change that pcv valve.
Thank you so very much for this post. Seeing oil stains inside the throttle body, the air channel up to the air filter of my civic, engine oil always short before due date of service but my car is not smoking nor any oil seal leaking plus rough idling, I decided to inspect the PVC valve of the car this morning. I downloaded YouTube video about the pcv valve location on my civic, I located and removed the pcv valve and turn ON the car but no difference so I pulled out the hose that connects it to the throttle body then the car starts to jerk. I quickly reconnect the hose to the throttle body and it went back to its normal rough idle running still without the pcv valve. I put OFF the car and remove the hose. On blowing the hose with air from my mouth, I discovered that the hose was block. I got a long small diameter size of screw driver and forced the blockage out and discovered that they stuffed nylon inside the hose rendering the pcv valve useless or functionless. I reconnected the free hose and the pcv valve to the throttle body and started the car. To my surprise, my car started one hand with ease and the sound of the car became calm and smooth. No more jerking or rough idling. I took it for a test drive and I discovered the car is very sharp now, it performance have seriously improved. I cleaned all the previous oil stains. I will carefully observe the oil stain again and also check my engine oil level after a week. THANKS ALOT.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oladele239(m): 4:13pm On Jan 06
berbs112:
This jerking is it at a particular RPM? I have experienced some serious jerking with my EOD in the past and it has to do with the Ivtec sensor when I scanned.

It usually happen at 80km/h serious jerking oo.

Yeah at a particular rpm
Please how did you resolve it
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oladele239(m): 8:36pm On Jan 06
oladele239:

Scanned today
Plus upstream 02 sensor

Slight improvement noticed with my mpg after replacement of 02 sensor.
Jerking has also stopped after it was discovered that my sump got pulled in and was beaten out.

Gear switch changed erased d light blink.

Car is on test drive for now πŸ˜”

5 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 1:20pm On Jan 07
oladele239:

Slight improvement noticed with my mpg after replacement of 02 sensor.
Jerking has also stopped after it was discovered that my sump got pulled in and was beaten out.

Gear switch changed erased d light blink.

Car is on test drive for now πŸ˜”

You did all that you did and yet overlooked installing your thermostat? The simplest thing that you are to do?

Just look at how cold your engine temperature reads . . . undecided
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oladele239(m): 5:09pm On Jan 07
Conner44:

You did all that you did and yet overlooked installing your thermostat? The simplest thing that you are to do?

Just look at how cold your engine temperature reads . . . undecided

I will bro
One step at a time
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by berbs112(m): 8:10pm On Jan 07
oladele239:

Yeah at a particular rpm
Please how did you resolve it

Have your mechanic check the Ivtec sensor the one they call racing sensor at the back of your engine at the passenger side. It's either clogged or the filter inside is broken. It's an easy fix for mechanic or rewire.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Androidking: 7:39pm On Jan 09
Conner44:

You can use any good brand injector cleaner you see for sale at those big brand petrol station pumps. If you know your injectors are partially clogged with dirty it is proper procedure to go to your mechanic for a tune up where he will clean your throttle body off carbon and then remove all your injectors and clean them one by one manually with some fuel and battery. For me if I feel my injectors might be partially clogged and I want to clean it without using all those fancy injector cleaners i usually fill my tank to half and then buy one litre of pain thinner and pour it into my fuel tank (note that paint thinner is very corrosive so make sure you have enough fuel in your tank before you think of trying this method as it might destroy the seals on your injectors if you didn't dilute it properly).

The proper gearbox fluid for tour ho da crv is ATF-DW1. Don't use anything (else except a proper dextron 3 which is temporary and must be replaced with the original fluid within 3,000 kilometres ro be safe) in order not to create problems with your transmission system.

As for the issue you're experiencing with your gearbox (which I marked in bold up there in your writeup) . I have experienced it before. Mine was a shift flare while shifting up from gear 1 to gear 2 only. With the help of a scan I was able to pinpoint the culprit after spending much on changing transmission fluid twice (I used a fake first and then switched to the original one) , cleaning the solenoids on the exterior of the gearbox and changing my transmission range switch.

I documented the procedure used in tackling the issue in the posts below :

https://www.nairaland.com/996664/maintenance-tips-honda-cars/341#111923379

https://www.nairaland.com/996664/maintenance-tips-honda-cars/342#112199773

But remember I was able to pinpoint the issue I had because I ran a scan. It was a small issue. I was initially thinking i would soon buy another gearbox and was saving up towards that before i found the issue. Scanning is important so you will know what exactly you need to look at in your gearbox.

Thanks Alot my new experience now , sometimes if I start the car and engaged gear to either R-D 1-2 any of these the car will jerk and when off thr car and start again it will engage smoothly , did u experience that too and i think my gear oil is over filled
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 7:43pm On Jan 09
Androidking:

Thanks Alot my new experience now , sometimes if I start the car and engaged gear to either R-D 1-2 any of these the car will jerk and when off thr car and start again it will engage smoothly , did u experience that too and i think my gear oil is over filled

Do you have a check engine light on your dash?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Androidking: 8:06pm On Jan 09
Conner44:

Do you have a check engine light on your dash?

It was der when I bought the car , drove it from Abuja to Owerri , someone help me purchase it ,I noticed thr jerking during shifting on my way from Abuja to Enugu, ..

Now like a week ago I start experiencing jerking when I want to shift from park to Reserve or drive or D1-2 . ...

But if I off the ignition and start the car , it will correct and start shifting properly.

From your solution I have seen similar solutions on YouTube and I think for Crv some of the solenoid are accessible from outside, I just have to save up and get ready.

First is to remove the old ATF and put new one . And make sure it's not overfilled. Den start from there .
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 8:11pm On Jan 09
Androidking:

It was der when I bought the car , drove it from Abuja to Owerri , someone help me purchase it ,I noticed thr jerking during shifting on my way from Abuja to Enugu, ..

Now like a week ago I start experiencing jerking when I want to shift from park to Reserve or drive or D1-2 . ...

But if I off the ignition and start the car , it will correct and start shifting properly.

From your solution I have seen similar solutions on YouTube and I think for Crv some of the solenoid are accessible from outside, I just have to save up and get ready.

First is to remove the old ATF and put new one . And make sure it's not overfilled. Den start from there .

You say you have a check engine light on your dash.

It has been there ever since you purchased the vehicle.

Why not go to new market or alaba and get a good electrician to scan the vehicle for you and get out its trouble codes so that you will know what and what to replace or service to make your problems go away? undecided
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Androidking: 8:56pm On Jan 09
Conner44:

You say you have a check engine light on your dash.

It has been there ever since you purchased the vehicle.

Why not go to new market or alaba and get a good electrician to scan the vehicle for you and get out its trouble codes so that you will know what and what to replace or service to make your problems go away? undecided

Yes will do that, I like to learn and know more , because I read Honda Transmission is sensitive and requires good technician to work on it , I want to be updated before they do all sorts of things in my car . It's my first Honda Car

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Androidking: 8:59pm On Jan 09
How do we know the original ATF when we see it

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ksmart027(m): 9:13pm On Jan 09
Androidking:
Order from reputable sellers here.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 9:35pm On Jan 09
Androidking:

Yes will do that, I like to learn and know more , because I read Honda Transmission is sensitive and requires good technician to work on it , I want to be updated before they do all sorts of things in my car . It's my first Honda Car

It's a honda afterall. A very reliable vehicle so far as you do your due diligence concerning its maintenance. Once you calm down and fix up all its issues you will experience its true potential.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 9:45pm On Jan 09
Androidking:

It will be hard to know except you're already conversant with the product. The color of the fluid is exactly like those of Dextron 2, Dextron 3 and even Dextron 4. The first two are conventional fluids while Dextron 4 is synthetic. The original ATF-DW1 is synthetic but when you buy the fake you won't even know if you're buying Dextron 1,2 or even 3 (at an elevated price) just because of its container/packaging. And you should know very well if you've read your manual that your gearbox is designed to use only ATF-DW1 BUT you can also use a good brand Dextron 3 alternative TEMPORARILY in case of an emergency. an emergency in the sense that you need to top off with maybe between 1 - 2 litres because of a leak or something of the sort.

So as you can see, it's better you purchase from reputable sources to avoid stories that touch.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 9:46pm On Jan 09
ksmart027:

Order from reputable sellers here.

Exactly. Luvinhubby is a sure plug here.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by obinnanelson04: 2:53am On Jan 10
Androidking:

I sincerely agree to the bolded statement....check the manual to see the right quantity of ATF to refill into the gear box.

(1) (2) (3) ... (418) (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) ... (433) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.