Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,693 members, 7,823,948 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

The Best University In Nigeria? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best University In Nigeria? (105752 Views)

Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering / Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? / The Best University In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 12:29am On Apr 22, 2006
maki:

UNBEATABLE UNIQUE UNIPORT grin grin grin wink

unbeatable in what way.let me guess, cultism,exam malpractice,rape,poor infrasructure.

uniport,unbeatable worst university in nigeria grin grin grin
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by LadyB(f): 9:07am On Apr 24, 2006
obu will have to be the best
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by maki(f): 10:51am On Apr 24, 2006
toshmann:

unbeatable in what way.let me guess, cultism,exam malpractice,rape,poor infrasructure.

uniport,unbeatable worst university in nigeria grin grin grin

well i dont care what you think but i know uniport is d best
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by funkybaby(f): 12:29pm On Apr 24, 2006
Have you guys ever been to CONVENANT UNIVERSITY, OTA , OGUN STATE? It's operated by Winners Chapel c/o Bishop Oyedepo. That university is the best in Nigeria. I am not a student there but i have got siblings there and i can tel you confidently that the school is hot and it is going places. It wil soon be competing with other universities in africa. Check out their infrastructures, teaching staff, curricullum, moral training of the kids, I give a big kudos to Bishop Oyedepo. The school fees is quite reasonable compared to other private universities in nigeria
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 3:09am On Jun 30, 2006
UI is the best in Niger based on facts and general opinions.
For God's sake,the sch is rated almost each year as the best in academics by the NUC.The recent world rating also proved it.
Also,UI produces over 40% of the nations PHD graduates.if you don't have facts please keep quiet instead of reflecting your school's inability to teach student to argue with facts.
Please!!!!!!!do not mention unizik again,I haven't heard anything good about that glorified secondary school before

Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by maki(f): 10:28am On Jun 30, 2006
@EDEH
Whats the picture for undecided

try nairaland hottest male contest, i'll vote for ya tongue kiss cheesy
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by DRANOEL(m): 11:49am On Jun 30, 2006
life style,education output and the rest. got to be university of jos (u-jay)
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 4:37pm On Jun 30, 2006
Dranoel, please don't talk too much about unijos-that's 'baby UI'.The school has most of the connection it has today because of the influence of UI.In the world rating you guys came out 5th in Nigeria.Anyway,I am happy for your school because it reflects allot about UI.IN case you do not know the history of your school let me know so I would tutor you on that.Unijos sees UI not only as a role model but as a father(basic fact)-you guys follow our steps,but remember the okra can not grow taller than its owner.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 4:56pm On Jun 30, 2006
Maki let's not forget the topic at hand.My dad schooled at uniport,but you know what ?he says all the good things that were said by some of your profs.about UI.I shouldn't be comparing uniport and UI because they don't even match,I should only give way to UNN and IFE which offcourse are not as good as UI(my criteria are academics,organization and global facts).i guess it's high time we started talking like intellectuals on line to prove our point.I studied biochemistry in UI,what did you study?ha ha ha.don't be scared like most student do when they meet UITES in a quiz competition.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 2:24pm On Jul 01, 2006
@ eneh.onos

unijos, 5th best school in nigeria? this shows that there is a fundamental problem with ur source of the ratings.

i rest my case for now
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 6:58pm On Jul 03, 2006
toshmann.
Please do the math.here is the result of the recent world rating of universities
the result is in this order:UI(57),IFE(69),UNIBEN(78),UNILAG AND UNIJOS(98)- In Africa
THE WEBSITE IS ALSO PROVIDED SO U DON'T THINK I MADE IT UP.
(http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp-cont=africa.htm)

1   UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN  546   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2   STELLENBOSCH UNIVERSITY  548   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3   UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA  554   

4   UNIVERSITY OF THE WITWATERSRAND  636   

5   RHODES UNIVERSITY  683   

6   UNIVERSITY OF THE WESTERN CAPE  894   

7   UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA  1,256   

8   UNIVERSITY OF KWAZULU-NATAL  1,478   

9   AMERICAN UNIVERSITY IN CAIRO  1,518   

10   UNIVERSITY OF THE FREE STATE  1,933   

11   NORTH WEST UNIVERSITY POTCHEFSTROOM  2,029   

12   UNIVERSITY OF PORT ELIZABETH  2,217   

13   UNIVERSITY OF DAR ES SALAAM  2,566   

14   PORT ELIZABETH TECHNIKON HIGHER EDUCATION  2,764   

15   UNIVERSITY OF LA REUNION  2,891   

16   UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE  3,318   

17   CAPE TECHNIKON  3,498   

18   UNIVERSITY OF NAMIBIA  3,612   

19   MAKERERE UNIVERSITY  3,628   

20   UNIVERSITY CHEIKH ANTA DIOP  3,641   

21   POLYTECHNIC OF NAMIBIA  3,752   

22   UNIVERSITY OF MAURITIUS  3,799   

23   NELSON MANDELA METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY  4,397   

24   ARAB ACADEMY FOR SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY  4,446   

25   UNIVERSITY EDUARDO MONDLANE  4,457   

26   TSHWANE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY  4,484   

27   UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI  4,508   

28   UNIVERSITY OF JOHANNESBURG  4,611   

29   CAIRO UNIVERSITY  4,748   

30   GERMAN UNIVERSITY IN CAIRO  4,791   

31   UNIVERSITY OF ZULULAND  4,806   

32   UNIVERSITY OF BOTSWANA  4,818   

33   KIGALI INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT  4,963   

34   ECOLE MOHAMMADIA D'INGENIEURS  4,997   

35   UNIVERSITE CADI AYYAD  5,038   

36   NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF RWANDA  5,140   

37   AL AKHAWAYN UNIVERSITY  5,301   

38   DURBAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY  5,313   

39   BURAO UNIVERSITY  5,353   

40   ADDIS ABABA UNIVERSITY  5,355   

41   MANSOURA UNIVERSITY  5,374   

42   NORTH-WEST UNIVERSITY  5,411   

43   UNIVERSITY OF GHANA  5,420   

44   MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN AFRICA  5,572   

45   UNIVERSITY OF THE NORTH  5,578   

46   UNIVERSITE DE NOUAKCHOTT  5,703   

47   UNIVERSITY OF KHARTOUM  5,741   

48   AL AZHAR AL-SHARIF ISLAMIC RESEARCH ACADEMY  5,849   

49   PENINSULA TECHNIKON  5,875   

50   MOGADISHU UNIVERSITY  5,927   

51   TECHNIKON WITWATERSRAND  6,011   

52   SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE  6,090   

53   ECOLE DU PATRIMOINE AFRICAIN  6,121   

54   UNIVERSITY OF MALAWI  6,159   

55   UNIVERSITY OF OUAGADOUGOU  6,199   

56   UNIVERSITY OF FORT HARE  6,254   

57   UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN  6,304   

58   UNIVERSITE SENGHOR  6,321   

59   UNIVERSITY OF HARGEISA  6,329   

60   UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY  6,347   

61   MOI UNIVERSITY  6,353   

62   MANGOSUTHU TECHNIKON  6,461   

63   MONASH SOUTH AFRICA  6,429   

64   ARAB OPEN UNIVERSITY  6,523   

65   UNIVERSITY ABOU BEKR BELKAID  6,524   

66   NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF LESOTHO  6,579   

67   OCTOBER 6 UNIVERSITY  6,591   

68   UNIVERSITY OF SWAZILAND  6,624   

69   OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY  6,645   

70   JOMO KENYATTA UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE AND TECHNOLOGY  6,674   

71   KABARAK UNIVERSITY  6,699   

72   ASSIUT UNIVERSITY  6,705   

73   KWAME NKRUMAH UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY  6,714   

74   MOHAMMED FIRST UNIVERSITY  6,749   

75   UNIVERSITE M'HAMED BOUGARA DE BOUMERDES  6,751   

76   UNIVERSITY OF ALGER  6,756   

77   KENYATTA UNIVERSITY  6,761   

78   UNIVERSITY OF BENIN  6,769   

79   UNIVERSITY OF NORTH-WEST MAFIKENG  6,817   

80   UNIVERSITY OF YAOUNDE I  6,829   

81   UNIVERSITY OF BATNA  6,860   

82   UNIVERSITE DJILLALI LIABES  6,906   

83   STRATHMORE UNIVERSITY  6,926   

84   BOTSWANA COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE  6,969   

85   HELWAN UNIVERSITY  6,982   

86   DAYSTAR UNIVERSITY  7,006   

87   UNIVERSITY OF VENDA  7,059   

88   AFRICA UNIVERSITY  7,084   

89   UGANDA CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY  7,176   

90   UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS  7,181   

91   SOUTH VALLEY UNIVERSITY  7,258   

92   UNIVERSITY OF BLIDA  7,294   

93   VAAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY  7,337   

94   CENTRAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY FREE STATE  7,359   

95   MODERN SCIENCES & ARTS UNIVERSITY  7,362   

96   UNIVERSITE CHOUAIB DOUKKALI EL JADIDA  7,364   

97   EGERTON UNIVERSITY  7,366   

98   UNIVERSITY OF JOS  7,369   

I BELIEVE IN FACTS.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by elsciraj(m): 6:21am On Jul 04, 2006
no doubt its the great UNIVERSITY OF BENIN.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 10:06pm On Jul 04, 2006
elsciraj stop acting like a kid.I gave some info. in my last post,why don't you go over it and know where your school belongs.I don't think this is a place where people talk like men without intellect.if you have something to say about your school present it in an intellegent way by backing it with facts.that was what i did in my last post,so you go there and get yourself educated
Edeh Onoriode.
elsciraj link=topic=9969.msg467986#msg467986 date=1151990468conplete junk:

no doubt its the great UNIVERSITY OF BENIN.(complete junk-argument's not based on facts.most likely based on personal sentiment)
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:21am On Jul 08, 2006
hey edeh ur link doesn't work?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 7:59pm On Jul 09, 2006
josboy4life,here is the web,try it again.It works-I just tried it.
http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp-cont=africa.htm
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:26pm On Jul 09, 2006
RANKING CRITERIA

From previous initiatives the best way to build the ranking is combining a series of indicators that measures different aspects of the web presence of the institutions. The obvious precedent is the Web Impact Factor (WIF) proposed by Almind & Ingwersen that is based on link analysis. The most widely accepted calculation of the WIF is the number of external inlinks by the number of pages. That means a relation of 1:1 between visibility and size. Allthough there has been some criticism to WIF we think the idea is sound but given extra weight to visibility as the number of links from other domains is a way of measuring impact of the contents. Besides we think it was needed to give extra value to a special group of pages, the so-called rich files (pdf, doc, ppt and ps) that are more related to publication activities. The new ratio is 4:3 where visibility and size (total number of pages and number of rich files) are converted to ranks before combined.

From a quantitative point of view, we calculate three different indicators from search engines as follows:
Size

Number of pages is calculated using four engines: Google, Yahoo, MSN y Teoma. For each engine, results are normalised to 1 for the highest value. Then for each domain, maximum and minimum results are excluded and every institution is assigned a rank according to the combined sum.

Visibility

The total number of unique external links received (inlinks) by a site can be only confidently obtained from Yahoo and MSN only. For each engine, results are normalised to 1 for the highest value and then combined to generate the rank.

Rich Files

After evaluation the “academic” relevance and the volume of different file formats we considering for our purposes the following 'rich files':

EXTENSION FILE
.pdf
Adobe Acrobat PDF
.ps
Adobe Postscript
.doc
Microsoft Word
.ppt
Microsoft Powerpoint

These data were extracted using Google and merging the results for each filetype after normalising them in the same way as described before.

The three ranks were combined according to a formula where each one has a different weight:

Webometrics Rank (Position) = 2 * Rank(Size) + 4 * Rank(Visibility) + 1 * Rank(Rich Files)

WR=2S+4V+R
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:28pm On Jul 09, 2006
This is a dumb criteria for evaluating a school, the number of hitsthe school site recieves?
I was wondering why yale was so low down the totum pole and why harvard was not number 1?/
The link they even provided for unijos doesnt even work tongue
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Oracle(m): 5:45am On Jul 10, 2006
I think itz ESUT in Enugu
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 5:44pm On Jul 10, 2006
josboy4life.what other criteria do you want us to use.or do you prefer us talking like people with no intellect by arguing without factual reasons? Maybe that was practice during the stone age but i am certainly  sure not now.
Even with the NUC criteria,UI has been listed as the #1 school in Nigeria(2004 and2005),and almost all the time it's been listed as the best in academics.what other position do you expect when the school produces over 40% of the nation's PHD-therefore the richest in international research output.
With the aforementioned aside,if the the world(the international community) could consider those criteria fit,who are you to say otherwise.
It might not be perfect,but there are rich elements of truth in its methods.
Just hope you're not arguing in support of "baby UI", I mean Unijos.cos I could see some similarities.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2006
But the criteria the site uses cannot be used to acedmically compare the univerisities.
Again I state the number of hits a site gets is not a good enuff analysis to compare schools.
Im not saying that we should compare the schools without any raw facts but im just saying the criteria webometrics uses is not valid in comparing schools.
Academics does not even play a part in there analysis
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 6:06pm On Jul 10, 2006
this is the site for PhD output.
http://www.nigerianmuse.net/important_documents/?u=NUC_PhDs_produced_Nig_varsities_2005.htm
I don't think any other school could afford what UI is worth now for the next 10years
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 6:10pm On Jul 10, 2006
ok,do you want to see NUC's academic evaluation?
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:24pm On Jul 10, 2006
Ty edeh these are more credible statistics, sure i wouldnt mind seeing the NUC acedmic evaluations
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by EdehOnos(m): 7:11pm On Jul 10, 2006
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by omoniger(m): 3:25pm On Jul 11, 2006
GREAT IFE is it-No controversy
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by lewa(m): 5:06am On Jul 12, 2006
I happen to know this-my grandpa retired from UI .UI has got the best faculties in Arts-Kongi ie Wole Soyinka is an alum,Niyi Osundare, Femi Osofisan, Isidore Okpewho are uitesI n case the names sound foreign they are GREAT literary icons who studied, taught at Ibadan before coming to the states.Also shes got the best Social Science faculty in Nigeria made great of course by Akin Mabogunje(townplanner extraordinaire),late Ojetunji Aboyade,Tunji Ayoade,late Abumere.
Veterinary Medicine,Education and the Sciences too are unrivalled.The faculties of medicine has produced many doctors such that 2 in 5 docs are Ibadan products.The beauty is the scholarship of its academic staff and also years of collaboration with its staff and other schools.So its funny to read people mention other schools modelled after I badan- ife,Ilorin ,Jos, etc which are equally sound but not equal to IbadanIt would take years for Babcock, Convenant and other small schools to reach I badan -i hope you know that University education involves postgraduate pursuits also
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by nosaokuns: 2:35am On Jul 17, 2006
The best universities in Nigeria are; University Of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University, University Of Benin and University Of Jos. This is based on fact and not guessed work. if anybody wants to verify, type in your computer "100 Best University in Africa"
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 18, 2006
U GUYZ ARE JUST WASTING YOUR TIME.

LAUTECH is the best university in Nigeria.

All those schools u are mentioning are swimming in past glory.

why did NUC stop UI and other so called best universities LAW?

u see, time will tell.

PRODUCT too will tell

FUTURE will tell
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by lewa(m): 6:55pm On Jul 18, 2006
What postgraduate programmes are in Lautech?How many PHds has Lautech produced?
Your school was setup in 1989 and since inception it has battled with a myriad of problems
notable funding(i hear its mainly Oyo that is doing her part),accreditation of adacemic programmes(undergraduate),
infrastructure etc.I understand your sense of patriotism,its understandable but misdirected.Maybe in another 30 years
we can talk of Lautech- when she would have had capacity to produce postgraduate students,produce her own indigenous Vice Chancellor(College president) and have equally envied labs,libraries.institutes of research etc.Until then-get to work
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 19, 2006
u see lewa, i'm not interested in arguments.all those things you said are just ear says. i need fact. have you ever been to LAUTECH before? i doubt if the answer will be yes. look for fact before you say anything next time. all the things i said about all those universities were facts that we all know. wake up and face reality. stop parading names and past glory. INTIMIDATION WE CONDONE NOT. GREATEST LADOKITES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by lewa(m): 2:44pm On Jul 19, 2006
Arguments?Reality? Intimidation?Facts yes- i have given you For your information yes i have not being to Lautech
but my small firm that i co-own in Naija did some due diligence for some people wishing to bankroll the recruitment of expatriate staff for your university.I am not intimidating neither am i parading names. Lautech has the potential to be great and i have listed some of the stuff that could be improved upon, so please as i said before that the fast now
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by lewa(m): 2:53pm On Jul 19, 2006
Sorry the last phrase should be , start the fast now wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English / FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.