Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,669 members, 7,840,650 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

9inches's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 9inches's Profile / 9inches's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (of 105 pages)

Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 1:13pm On Jan 11, 2019
LordReed:

Yes
Do you agree with him?
Religion / Re: "The Force" - Dr. Alberto Rivera (Ex-Jesuit Priest) by 9inches(m): 10:22am On Jan 11, 2019
LordReed:
Ubenedictus, 9inches they are calling you. LMFAO!

4 Likes

Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 10:13am On Jan 11, 2019
LordReed:

3. He doesn't say this was definitely how the universe came about but that this could have been a mechanism to bring it about. Besides these are occurring at quantum levels which do not translate to the same effect at the macro level.
His argument was that nothing isn't really nothing. Am I right?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 9:57am On Jan 11, 2019
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 9:45am On Jan 11, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Time can't be formed.
Who else believed this as you? Any scientist or atheist you could mention?
Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 9:35am On Jan 11, 2019
joseph1013:

But I don't have the evidence of Christianity. You merely said Christianity passes the three tests you brought up. You have not shown us how it does and why it is evidence. Can you provide the evidence?

Else...let's just call it a day. I have not gained anything from this interaction.

No one is asking you for any evidence of Christianity. I already stated that the Christian message has correspondence, is coherent and has the explanatory power that other belief systems either lack or fall short. And by christian message, I mean the entire christian belief.

And I even gave guide on how you could test yourself.
9inches:
1. It has been subjected to more than those tests over the centuries. And the results are there to be seen. Infact, it's even christians that ask most of the hard-hitting and difficult questions.
I won't conclude without saying, "why not be the scholar and test it out yourself?"

2. Yes, I can say that I have knowledge of the other world religions. Belief systems can be grouped and understood in a nutshell. For example, if the Abrahamic religion is false, Judaism, christianity and Islam will fall in one fell swoop and your search for the truth focuses on the other religions. But if the Abrahamic religion is true, then your search narrows down to only the Abrahamic religions.

As it always the case, you don't gain anything when you go into a supposedly sincere conversation with a hidden agenda. The probability that your insidious agenda will be exposed to your own chagrin is quite high, especially if it involves folks who know how to expose such.
Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 9:07am On Jan 11, 2019
joseph1013:

There is something called 'burden of proof'. He who makes a claim is obligated to prove the assertion.
I made a claim, you asked for proof, I gave you proof. You dismissed it while asking for another proof. The onus is on you to refute and credibly invalidate the proof you are presented with.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 7:19am On Jan 11, 2019
budaatum:

He accuses atheist of nothing from nothing belief. Did this thread not start with that idea being debunked? Are you in fact, not the one claiming some creator came from nothing preceeding it!? Is the argument not that something always precedes something?
He accuses atheists of something from nothing.

The argument is that something always come from something.

What idea was debunked here where you cited yourself?
budaatum:
I cite buda. Something had to exist to go bang (assuming there was a bang). It must have been a big thing that existed, hence big bang. And even if there were no bang and gods did it. They'd have had to have existed in order to create what didn't exist. And something must have existed to create the gods themselves, and something must have existed to create whatever created whatever created the gods, and something must have existed to create whatever created whatever created whatever created the gods, and something must have existed........ad infinitum.
That did not get to the root of the matter which I presented again.
9inches:
In short, when was the beginning of "something"?

budaatum:
Are you in fact, not the one claiming some creator came from nothing preceeding it!?
Not my exact word, but yeah...kinda. Although, there's problem with your word "preeceding". My sister preceded me but I did not come out of my sister. Got it?

"beget", "Come from" or other variants could properly fit.

"Nothing preceding (comes from) Something" means, that Something is

1. timeless... right?
2. always there... right?
3. ever existing... right?
4. self existing... right!?

1 Like

Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 6:46am On Jan 11, 2019
budaatum:
The truth does not have to be good or bad. The truth is simply validity, as in, it corresponds to fact.

How did this come about then?
budaatum:
Meanwhile, if there truly was an "absolute truth", and it was good....

budaatum:
As to research, try the first chapter of Brief History, Truth and [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universality_%28philosophy%29?wprov=sfla1]wiki[/url].
Read most Hawking's books many many years ago. I probably have read more science books than you, and I'm not including talking textbooks.

By the way, you said this,
budaatum:
Meanwhile, if there truly was an "absolute truth", and it was good, what makes you think you would be the one to have it to spread?
That was why I said this,
9inches:
I wonder what you think absolute truth is. Does truth have to be good or bad?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 5:50am On Jan 11, 2019
budaatum:

Yes 9inches. When people say they believe, that is just it - they simply believe, and without really thinking about or understanding or considering any alternative to what they believe.

And yes, I must understand before I believe. Believing what one does not understand implies childhoodness, which one is not anymore, and stupidity, in an adult - neither of which buda is.

The chance that you understand the root of the hierarchical values system and memes you act out/portray is almost zilch! This scientist says, "You think you're an atheist? You're a christian, judeo-christian... to the core. You just don't understand it, you just don't realize it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enduikARwRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjYQ48t4C8U
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 2:04pm On Jan 10, 2019
LordReed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UemhCsaeGgc

He doesn't say they are uncaused but you can infer it.
You made me use my work time to scrutinize this your video more closely.

According to your prof Lawrence Krauss:

1. Empty Space/Dark Void is nothing because it contains nothing.

2. Empty Space/Dark Void is a boiling bubbling brew of virtual particles popping in and out of existence at every moment.

3. After a while of continuous popping in and out of existence by these bubbling brew of virtual particles, Space and Time was formed!

Please tell me if I mischaracterized anything here.

NB: I agree with him, laws of quantum mechanics doesn't form anything here as it is just a theory borne out of observation. So it has no physical impact here. However, Krauss did make mention of gravitational force.

Hmmm...
Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 1:13pm On Jan 10, 2019
joseph1013:

I have a feeling I am wasting my time.

- You made a claim.
- You say the claim can be tested via three tests (never mind that there is no universal corroboration of it, but for the sake of indulging you I have allowed it to stand).
- I ask that you tell me how your claim passes the three tests.
- You start ad hominems.

What kind of conversation do you think this is?
I noticed that too. As soon as I posted the evidence for you to test, your bias (perhaps, pre-planned agenda?) kicked in to overdrive. You "allow it to stand"? Oh thanks for your patronage!

If you have a different question, you can ask. As for 'evidence of Christianity' question, you already have it. You don't choose evidence or facts for consideration; you consider them as they present themselves. The onus is on you to refute. Merely dismissing them is pure folly.
Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 12:27pm On Jan 10, 2019
joseph1013:

Do you have evidence for such a being?
You are clearly one of the evidence.
Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 11:03am On Jan 10, 2019
joseph1013:

Hahaha...see what I am saying. Instead of bringing about coherent arguments...you resort to ad hominems.

My questions to you are simple and I have consistently asked them only for you to keep drumming fallacies. Not going to work.

I will repeat: When I ask of proof, I'm referring to something tangible. Something like claims of the Bible being inspired by God. Something like a believer being a better human than anyone on earth due to the Holy Spirit indwelling. Something like miraculous claims by Christians that have been verified to be true.

Can you provide these tangible proofs of your faith? Take any religious beliefs and your rhetoric will fit like a glove.
All you've been saying here is nonsensical, you can try to present sensible arguments. See, it's easy to do what you're doing. Labelling arguments you don't like as incoherent or fallacies doesn't make them as such, especially if you don't "coherently" and credibly refute those arguments. You're being openly dishonest in this conversation.

9inches:
You can use the following three tests to ascertain what the truth really is:

1. Correspondence theory
2. Coherence theory
3. Explanatory power

Only the original Christian faith passes these three tests with flying colors.

Come back here and tell all of us how much you tested this and how true/false this is.
Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 9:51am On Jan 10, 2019
joseph1013:

Which of the Gods? And how do you know?
The uncreated Supernatural from whom every other thing came into being.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 9:12am On Jan 10, 2019
budaatum:
For anyone willing to upgrade their beliefs to a bit more modern ones, here is a free pdf of Stephen Hawkings A Brief History of Time to download.

The devil is the lord of ignorance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-yx5WN4efo
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 8:17am On Jan 10, 2019
budaatum:

And as a belief, you might see benefit, but for the advancement of knowledge and the betterment of an ever increasing world? All I see is poverty, and exploitation and squalor in such beliefs. You experience this in your argument with your fellow believers on homosexuality. They too believe as assuredly as you believe that they are right.

Muttley, Is it not righteous to understand than obediently believe?
Where do you think the drive/hunger for knowledge and the betterment of the world come from? And what makes you think what people say is what they act out? You think if someone says "I believe", that's just it - he simply believes?

Do you understand everything before you believe?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 7:59am On Jan 10, 2019
HellVictorinho:
"The Big Bang" is just a banging theory but Religion is a compilation of theoretical disasters
Out of curiosity, do you know who Jordan Peterson is?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 6:16am On Jan 10, 2019
budaatum:

Can someone please post some links where "absolute truth" has been flogged please. Though to be honest with you, 9inches, you should go and do some research.

Meanwhile, if there truly was an "absolute truth", and it was good, what makes you think you would be the one to have it to spread?

Is it because you believe more than others?
What do you mean by "where absolute truth has been flogged" and what do you think I should research on?

I wonder what you think absolute truth is. Does truth have to be good or bad?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 6:08am On Jan 10, 2019
LordReed:

Its uncaused.
Where did you get that?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 10:01pm On Jan 09, 2019
budaatum:

And that's ok. For you. But unless you plan on having brains washed with what you believe you must understand that it may not be so for everyone else, and perhaps wonder, why?
Wonder why everybody doesn't believe in absolute truth? We keep spreading the good word to "everyone else".
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 9:45pm On Jan 09, 2019
LordReed:

They come into existence without an apparent cause even in the deadest of space vacuums.
How did that happen?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 8:54pm On Jan 09, 2019
LordReed:

1. Depends on what you mean by out of itself. Isotopes of elements are virtually created from theirself.

2. The source of everything cannot be the source of itself so its not the source of everything.
1. How

2. It can

1 Like

Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 8:50pm On Jan 09, 2019
joseph1013:

Who created this law?
God I believe.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 8:48pm On Jan 09, 2019
LordReed:

What is the cause of virtual particles?
Do the particles exist outside the universe that has cause?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 8:44pm On Jan 09, 2019
LordReed:

LMFAO! Na wa.
Laugh well.

1 Like

Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 8:34pm On Jan 09, 2019
budaatum:

This is a difficult question! My first instinct is to say, Yes, "anything that has a beginning cannot create itself". A creator must create anything that has been created.

I'm just glad you never said "everything that exists must be created".

No. The creator of anything with a beginning must also have a beginning! How else could it possibly come into existence if it did not at one point in time come in to existence?

And don't give me "it was always in existence", unless you precede it with "I believe"?
I believe it was always in existence. Amen. undecided
Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 7:55pm On Jan 09, 2019
joseph1013:
Saying the original Christian faith passes these three tests with flying colors by offering rhetoric does not cut it.
I totally agree with you. Rhetoric doesn't cut it, and reasonably so. That's why you don't have to take my word for it. Evidence are meant to be tested.

joseph1013:
When I ask of proof, I'm referring to something tangible. Something like claims of the Bible being inspired by God. Something like a believer being a better human than anyone on earth due to the Holy Spirit indwelling. Something like miraculous claims by Christians that have been verified to be true.

At this your level of faith? You're still struggling with "Preambles of Faith" while asking me to talk to you about "Articles of Faith". Talking to you about deeper matters of faith at this point will sound to you like tales by the moonlight. You'll be lost in confusion. In the Catholic Church, we start from the basics, deal with the fundamentals and work our way deeper. We don't just throw you into the middle of the bible and tell you about 'Works of the holy spirit when you are yet to grasp information about God or Jesus Christ. If you don't know God, how could anything that come out him make sense to you?
Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:58pm On Jan 09, 2019
joseph1013:
This comment is difficult to read, as my comments and yours have been lumped together
Crazy time at work. Now fixed.
Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:56pm On Jan 09, 2019
HellVictorinho:

You are creationist,period.
And everything you do is in a bid to validate that.
Breaking news!
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 4:54pm On Jan 09, 2019
LordReed:

The word create is kind of a cheat. It implies an act of purpose. Nevertheless we've observed things that come into existence without cause, virtual particles.

Your 2nd statement already fails for humans, rephrase?
Right. I was busy when I sent it without review.
Here:
1. Everything that has a beginning cannot exist out of itself"?
2. The source of everything cannot have a beginning.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 3:07pm On Jan 09, 2019
LordReed:

The word create is kind of a cheat. It implies an act of purpose. Nevertheless we've observed things that come into existence without cause, virtual particles.

Your 2nd statement already fails for humans, rephrase?
That's right. Everything that has a beginning has a cause. That includes virtual particles.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (of 105 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.