Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,774 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:37 AM

9inches's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 9inches's Profile / 9inches's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (of 105 pages)

Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 9:03pm On Jan 23, 2019
budaatum:

I can't claim I get your point here, but at 4:30, he says "Salvation is not based on faith alone but by the quality of our love", love being works, as pointed it in James, which I wholly agree with. But salvation from what, one might ask. Some would claim, from hell and damnation, I, however, being more concerned with the things on this earth which I see and not so much about some god up in heaven whom I see not, or a hell I have no evidence for, would claim salvation from diseases, hunger, exploitation, untimely death and the suchlike which I can see and which damn many, and are things we humans, out of love for our fellow human beings can and have done quite a lot to save people from by our works, and not by idle faith without the work. God did afterall say, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth", which is, "work!"

If Nigeria did more of such works of salvation instead of praying for the manna of salvation to fall from heaven as we do, our nation would be much more heavenly than the hell it currently is. One needs just look at nations that take this work approach and compare with those of faith to see the difference in development. Essentially, I am not against religion since for me it simply means 'school', and 'doing repeatedly'. But the curriculum needs to be the right curriculum, which in Christianese means based on the love and regard for that which is godly - as in good and proper for all - and the love of all human beings. A religion that fails to hold [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+6%3A4-7%2CMatthew+22%3A37-40%2CMark+12%3A30-31%2CLuke+10%3A27&version=NKJV]these tenets[/url] as given in the forefront of it's teachings is, as far as I am able to currently understand, not of Jesus Christ.

I highlighted the part of your reply to which I was responding. What don't you understand?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 8:09pm On Jan 23, 2019
LordReed:

Of course, that's were beliefs in undemonstrated phenomenon like gods, ghosts and goblins comes from.
So how do you distinguish between rational and irrational beliefs? What's the yardstick here?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 5:21pm On Jan 23, 2019
budaatum:

Amazing! Over on another thread, Tatime is telling me people are controlled, and here is you telling me everyone believes things, but I bet neither of you would see the connection between beliefs and control!

Anyway, I've told you 9, about my beliefs, and I'm telling you Tatime that Christ's whole time on earth was to free people from the control of the religious leaders who used false beliefs to control them. Serpents who give stones, is a phrase that comes to my mind.

Not everyone has beliefs that lack foundation and not all fall for being controlled! If you widen your views a bit you both might see this.
I tend to agree on the bolded as long as you are not conflating it with the argument being refuted in the clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLta2b9zQ64
Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:01pm On Jan 23, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved,
clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and longsuffering.
"
- Colossians 3:12

God is the only and single God among other gods, who is self-existent, compassionate and true. The one religion, that God approves of and takes to be true, pure and which you cant find a fault with, is compassion and/or empathy to others.

It is a travesty that compassion, now seen and known as a noun, used to be a verb. There is a nobility in compassion, a beauty in empathy, and a grace in forgiveness,, says Irish writer, John Connolly
cc kkins25, Ranchhoddas, 9inches, PastorAIO, frosbel2
The post modernist type compassion that calls evil good and good evil. The type of compassion that sacrifices human life on the altar of convenience. Am I right?

3 Likes

Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 5:05am On Jan 17, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

Ehn ehn... you're getting me now
"Do to others as you'd have them do you" is all about doing not what is evil, doing not what is wicked. It is about doing good, it is about empathy and/or compassion. The giving or showing of, has no barrier, no predijuce, no discrimination, no hatery, no etcetera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWbj-2DRLps
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 4:32am On Jan 17, 2019
budaatum:

Amazing! Over on another thread, Tatime is telling me people are controlled, and here is you telling me everyone believes things, but I bet neither of you would see the connection between beliefs and control!

Anyway, I've told you 9, about my beliefs, and I'm telling you Tatime that Christ's whole time on earth was to free people from the control of the religious leaders who used false beliefs to control them. Serpents who give stones, is a phrase that comes to my mind.

Not everyone has beliefs that lack foundation and not all fall for being controlled! If you widen your views a bit you both might see this.

There's this analogy by GK Chesterton where he says that if you want to build the biggest playground in the world and you spend all of the money to create the bells and the whistles and all the toys and you want the kids to enjoy that playground... he says, build a fence because if you don't, either you'll start policing these kids and haranguing them and yelling at them and creating all these little rules to control them so that they are safe within the playground or they'll run out into the highway and get killed. So, either way the kids will be restricted or hurt if you don't build a fence around the playground. This is the paradox of freedom and fences of Liberty and law.

And then, in one of his quotes, he says “When you break the big laws, you do not get liberty; you do not even get anarchy. You get the small laws.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrflYqaWeHM
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 4:07am On Jan 17, 2019
LordReed:

Yup, from the rather irrational part of being human.
Oh, humans are irrational as much as they are rational?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 9:10pm On Jan 16, 2019
LordReed:

For inconsequential personal subjective opinions, all the time. Blue is better than red, tall is better than short, pounded yam is better than eba, etc. If you want to group belief in a god or gods as one these inconsequential personal subjective opinions then fine.
Good to know you could believe something without unequivocal evidence.
Computers / Re: Man Claims Jumia Sold Him A Refurbished Laptop by 9inches(m): 10:21am On Jan 16, 2019
Valerie47:
Buy items on jumia at your own peril, though my aunt got a very good washing machine from them. Na luck sha.
I've been buying stuff on jumia for 3 years now, no single disappointment yet.

1 Like

Religion / Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:43am On Jan 15, 2019
joseph1013:

The correspondence theory of truth asserts that a statement is true if and only if what it asserts about a given state of affairs is the case. For example, "Jesus rose bodily from the dead" is true if and only if Jesus did in fact get up out of the grave after having been dead.

But is this true? I don't think so.

The authors of Mark and Matthew (hereafter referred to as Mark and Matthew) placed Jesus' first appearance in Galilee in northern Israel, while the authors of Luke and John (hereafter referred to as Luke and John) indicated it took place in the environs of Jerusalem, some 70-80 miles to the south of Galilee in Judea.

John was explicit in numbering the appearances, the first two apparently occurring a week apart in Jerusalem (if "that first day of the week" of John 20:19 corresponds to Resurrection Sunday) or no more than a day's walk from the city (Luke 24:13, 33 reports that the first appearance was in Jerusalem or on the road to nearby Emmaus) and the third by the Sea of Galilee some time later (John 21:1, 14). Given this timeline, then if Jesus did indeed appear to the disciples on a mountain in Galilee, he must have done so after the third appearance mentioned by John.

However, a straightforward reading of Matthew demands that Jesus first appeared to the disciples in Galilee. Even before his death, Jesus prophesied at the Last Supper in Matthew 26:32, "But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee." After the Resurrection, Jesus tells the women, "Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee'" (28:7).

As they were running along to carry out his instructions, Jesus met them again, underscoring the same point: "Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me" (28:10). If it was Jesus' intention to appear to the disciples in Jerusalem, why did he instruct them three times before appearing to them that they were to meet him in Galilee? Since he sent word to the disciples through the women, it is warranted to conclude he did not intend to see them first in Jerusalem, where he could have simply instructed them face-to-face to meet him in Galilee.

Matthew's account of Jesus' first post-Resurrection appearance, set in Galilee, reads, "When the Eleven saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted" (Matthew 28:17), further suggesting that Jesus had not previously appeared to them—certainly not two or three times as the Gospel of John requires. In the second appearance in John, Thomas had already seen Jesus and had overcome his doubts: "My Lord and my God!" (John 20:28). For those who are here tempted to consult creative apologetic solutions to this problem, I ask whether it is likely, given Matthew's repeated emphasis on Galilee, that Matthew himself would accept any harmonization that places Jesus' first appearance in Jerusalem.

I have only used Resurrection to prove the correspondence case. There are several other examples in the Christian bible. The foundations of morality, Purpose and meaning, Fulfilled prophecies, The Resurrection of Jesus, The reliability of the Bible, Miracles and answered prayer, and A personal relationship with a loving God.

The coherence theory argues that a given statement is true if it coheres with or does not contradict any other statements within a set of statements that also cohere with each other. Truth is what is internally consistent.

Take a few contradictions in the Bible:

1) Judas was hanged.

Mt. 27:5 “And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.”

**Judas was not hanged.
Acts. 1:18 “Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.”

(2)Judas threw the thirty pieces of silver into the temple & the chief priests picked them up & bought a field with them.
Matt.27:5-7 “And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.”

**Judas did not throw the thirty pieces of silver into the temple; he used them to buy a field.
Acts. 1:18 “Now this man {Judas} purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.”

(3) 75 people went into Egypt.
Acts7: 14 “Then sent Joseph, and called his father Jacob to him, and all his kindred, threescore and fifteen souls.” {i.e. 75}

**Only 70 people went into Egypt.
Gen 46:27 “And the sons of Joseph, which were born him in Egypt, were two souls: all the souls of the house of Jacob, which came into Egypt, were threescore and ten.”{i.e. 70}

(4) The Jews were in Egypt for 400 years.
Acts 7:6 “ And God spake on this wise, That his seed should sojourn in a strange land; and that they
should bring them into bondage, and entreat them evil four hundred years.”

The Jews were in Egypt for 430 years.
Exodus 12:40**“Now the sojourning of the children of Israel, who dwelt in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.”

(5) Brothers must be hated.
Luke 14:26 "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

**Brothers must not be hated.
1 John 3:15 "Whosoever hates his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

Obviously, Christianity fails this test too.

Explanatory power simply asks the question "does what I believe or what I've placed my trust in help me make sense of my observations of the world and also my longings and the desires that I have?"

Christianity clearly fails this test. Christians claim the earth is 6,000 years. The planet is 4.5 billion years old.

Thank you.

Simple biblical chronological account, Jesus appeared to

To Mary Magdalene alone at the tomb (Mark 16:9)

To second group of women (including Joanna) on their way back to the apostles (Matt. 28:8-10)

To the Apostle Peter (Luke 24:34)

To two disciples (Cleophas and one other disciple) walking along the road to Emmaus (Luke 24)

To the ten apostles (Thomas absent) who had gathered in the Upper Room of the holy city of Jerusalem (John 20:19)

To the eleven apostles (Thomas present) who had gathered in the Upper Room of Jerusalem (John 20:29)

To the seven disciples (Peter, Thomas, Nathanael, James the Greater, John, and two others) who had returned to their fishing on the shore of the Sea of Tiberias (Sea of Galilee) (John 21)

To more than 500 on a mountain in Galilee (1 Cor 15:6)

To James the Less(1 Cor 15:7)

To 120 of the infant Church on the Mount of Olives before his Ascension.

Second part on underway.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 2:12am On Jan 15, 2019
LordReed:

How did you get that from chocolate icecream?
I confused you with buda. My bad.

LordReed:
There is none.
So blindly belief things without unequivocal evidence?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 1:43am On Jan 15, 2019
budaatum:

9! Did I say that, or can you just not live life honestly and without making up untruths?

Anyway, last night, I believed we will all wake up this morning, and I now believe we all did. Unless you know of one of us who is still asleep.
Not paraphrasing you. I'm saying that.

1 Like

Travel / Re: Swiss Woman, Nwanyiocha Travels To Anambra, Shares Her Experience. Pictures by 9inches(m): 3:17pm On Jan 14, 2019
kiddoiLL:
The construction of all the caption shows she clearly didn't type those captions including the Igbo..“when idikia was idika”...lol
only kids will believe she typed all those stuffs....
When d gbedu dey enter body
She speaks and writes Igbo. This is her insta profile

https://instagram.com/nwanyi_ocha?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=qybqfvxg142k
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 11:17am On Jan 14, 2019
LordReed:

Faith in what?
Your future.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 11:16am On Jan 14, 2019
budaatum:

Good morning 9. It's this morning. I'm awake just like I believed I would. Certainly!
Good morning. Lucky you! That's great. Keep believing, we can't live the world without belief.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 11:00am On Jan 14, 2019
LordReed:

There is none.
True man of faith. wink
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 10:58am On Jan 14, 2019
HellVictorinho:

They explain why I didn't find your statements significant.
Do you really know the meaning of insignificant? I'm calling you out on your mode of argument which is obvious for all to see and you're saying it's insignificant while denying at the same time.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 5:56am On Jan 14, 2019
budaatum:

I believe I will wake up tomorrow too, 9, I even believe there was a yesterday, but to believe what likely happened 20 Zillion years ago? That's a bit too much for me, 9. If buda thinks buda beliefs correspond in any way to what happened so long ago buda would be God. Some of us don't cook up nonsense in our head and say, "Yes, that is exactly how it it, I say so!"

'I don't know', is a third option.

Hmm... such leap of faith. Why do you believe that you will wake up tomorrow? Do you know that for certain? You probably have more faith than I do.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 5:48am On Jan 14, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Read further.
My reply did not end there.
The rest of your comments didn't say exactly why.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 5:41am On Jan 14, 2019
LordReed:

I believe that chocolate is the best icecream flavour.
Where is your unequivocal evidence for this belief?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 12:18am On Jan 14, 2019
LordReed:

All gods remain gods to me, there is nothing that makes yours require a special appellation. The case for rejecting all gods has already been made, no unequivocal evidence.
Same here, all gods remain gods to me as well. I don't have any gods that require special appellation. I did make such case myself in one of my earlier posts..
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 12:12am On Jan 14, 2019
budaatum:

This is exactly the issue. You think atheists believe like you do! Or in you words, you think that's others deify their subjective opinion like you do!

I guess that's why you miss Hawkin saying, anything said about the state of things before the big bang is conjecture, and not a thing to be believed.
Everyone has belief(s).
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 5:45pm On Jan 13, 2019
budaatum:

Is that not what I said, 9? Did I not call it "a lot of something"? Or did you not see the correction?

Why should I explain it any further when you've finally got the point, 9, that Hawking never meant "something came from nothing" because "something always comes from something". As the saying goes, "you need eggs to make omelettes", you can't make them out of thin air.
My bad. Got it.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 5:41pm On Jan 13, 2019
HellVictorinho:

These statements are inconsequential.
And if I can help you to understand that it is critically stupid for anyone to criticize me stupidly,you should be thankful.
I don't just dismiss arguments that are baseless.
I actually point out the illogical statements made by the other party, which makes the debate an exercise in futility.
What made the statements inconsequential?
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 4:16pm On Jan 13, 2019
LordReed:

Its not a belief that caused me to reject belief in god, it was a whole lot of reasons but primarily the lack of unequivocal evidence for any interacting god or gods.
The lack of unequivocal evidence for any interacting god or gods formed your belief in no god or gods? Me too.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 4:07pm On Jan 13, 2019
LordReed:

It won't be relevant to discussion of the existence of gods.
Let's find out.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 4:03pm On Jan 13, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Hallelujah!!! cheesy
Happy Sunday. May the Force be with you and your family.
Religion / Re: Your Beliefs by 9inches(m): 3:58pm On Jan 13, 2019
LordReed:

Belief in what? The only belief we are interested in is that of gods which we reject so what belief are we supposed to making a case for?
You reject belief in gods? Me too.

But if you mean God, then I'd say you're supposed to be making a case for rejecting God.
Religion / Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by 9inches(m): 2:33pm On Jan 13, 2019
Ihedinobi3:
9inches, this is just to tell you that I find you very delightful to read. It is to encourage you in what you do here. Cheers, brother.
Ah! Little things that make one's day... This means so much. Thank you and Happy Sunday.

2 Likes 1 Share

Religion / Re: The Kaleidoscope-why I dumped Christianity by 9inches(m): 2:23pm On Jan 13, 2019
Michellekabod1:
please his name
Jordan Peterson. You can google him.
Religion / Re: The Kaleidoscope-why I dumped Christianity by 9inches(m): 12:27pm On Jan 13, 2019
Michellekabod1:

No
He could help you make sense of a whole lot of things; things that you somehow already know or feel but can't exactly articulate or put your finger on. He does it in a profound way. Check out a couple of his lectures/speech and tell me what you think.
Religion / Re: The Kaleidoscope-why I dumped Christianity by 9inches(m): 9:42am On Jan 13, 2019
Michellekabod1:

Our nature influences our choices you know

Do you know this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLvd_ZbX1w0

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (of 105 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.