Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS (9882 Views)

Scores Of Boko Haram Members Feared Dead In Battle With Troops / PDP Members Shield Dogara During Fracas-video / Nigerian Military Retakes Monguno, Other Communities From Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by amosy007: 4:28am On Jul 26, 2012
ABUJA—DIRECTOR of Department of State Security Services, SSS, Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Command, Mr. Little Okojie, has lamented that government made little progress in curbing the menace of the militant Islamist sect, Boko Haram, because communities shield members of the sect.

Okojie, who spoke while hosting the new executives of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ, Abuja council, decried the reluctance of the people to provide useful information to security agencies on the identity of the sect members and its operations.

He explained that the job of the agency was principally to prevent crime, stating that the invisible mode of operation of members of the sect had made it difficult to successfully dialogue with them.

According to him, the sect is usually represented by intermediaries who will not disclose the identity of members of the sect, making the situation more complicated, unlike what happened with the Niger Delta militants.

Okojie said the service and other security agencies were doing their best to protect lives and property. He commended NUJ for its support to the Service and other security agencies in the fight against crime.

He tasked journalists to give accurate and balanced account of every event and situation, in line with the ethics of the profession, pointing out that the command had had to approach the leadership of the union on issues where the SSS disagreed with the media.

Earlier, Secretary of the Council, Mr. Emmanuel Ogbeche, expressed the readiness of the council to partner with the Service in the discharge of its constitutional duty.

source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/communities-shield-boko-haram-members-sss/
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by dasparrow: 4:47am On Jul 26, 2012
@Post

This is why it has become difficult to track down boko haram because we have a few fellow Nigerians who shield them. If some of our fellow compatriots continue shielding boko haram members, we may not have a country by 2015. Everyone should remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities to the appropriate authorities.

PS: I will be back on this thread to make sure my post did not grow wings and fly away into oblivion since lately a few of my posts have been mysteriously disappearing. Peace, out!

2 Likes

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Afam4eva(m): 5:03am On Jul 26, 2012
Any community that tried to sheld terrorists should be brought down to it's knees.

2 Likes

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Kobojunkie: 5:29am On Jul 26, 2012
Yeah right! What commmunities shield them? Name those communities or put a sock in it. Rather than doing a better job, these so-called SSS good-for-nothings are constantly looking to shift blame, even to the people, rather than admitting the terrible job they have been doing so far.

We don here the many Buhari-do-am, Northern-elders-do-am,Dokpesi-do-am, People-dey-hide them excuses for too long. If the SSS dogs can't get to the bottom of the BokoHaram menace, then they ought all to resign.

7 Likes

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Nobody: 5:34am On Jul 26, 2012
Moderators, front page, pls.

BH have even boasted of the support from the populace in some of their areas of operation. "Abu Qaqa" once said:

"People were singing songs in [northern cities] Kano and Kaduna saying: 'We want Boko Haram'," Qaqa said, describing how the group can blend into the communities in which it operates. "If the masses don't like us they would have exposed us by now. When Islam comes everyone would be happy," he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/27/boko-haram-nigeria-sharia-law

We need State Police NOW, GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by ektbear: 5:52am On Jul 26, 2012
Then the community is also boko haram
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by FindOut(m): 5:53am On Jul 26, 2012
VERY silly excuse in my opinion, shouldnt be coming from an organisation like the SSS. This kind of excuse may be tolerated from Civil defence, but not the police & definitely not the SSS. I doubt if the Nigerian Army can come out to say such.

A terror group like bokoharam will definitely have struck fear into the hearts of their ''host'' community, and its quite understandable that they'll be unwilling to give information to the authorities going by what bokoharam has been known to do to persons (& their families) who are alleged to have betrayed them. The SSS cannot expect to walk into a community & the people will start pointing fingers that yes''he is part of them'', ''that is their house''. Nah, it cant happen that way, especially whenthere's no guarantee of their lives n properties.

SSS said the group send ''intermediaries'' or is it ''representatives''. Are they not supposed to hunt down openly & secretly, these intermediaries, track them down to where the main culprits are hiding? Track phone calls, use satellite imaging & other technologies they can CONVENIENTLY afford (going by the trillion naira defence budget)?

Not saying the communities cant be more helpful, but SSS should be employing strategies that do not necessarily have to do with relying principally on info from these villagers.

Anyway, its now a normal thing in this country to be giving silly excuses for inefficiency, excuses that play on the sentiments of the people. Now, people will start saying ''yes, the govt is trying, but bokoharam has plenty supporters who are shielding & protecting them''. 'Supporters' who live in terror of this group everyday, who are hoping their country's security agencies will deliver them. I dont blame the SSS though, the person who's supposed to call them to order is also guilty of this same practice, so, SSS, ride on.

September no too far, we go see as una take spend una budget.

it still beats me how people can be ''shielding'' those who throw bombs at, kill and maim them at will.

14 Likes

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Nobody: 5:59am On Jul 26, 2012
Find Out!:
VERY silly excuse in my opinion, shouldnt be coming from an organisation like the SSS. This kind of excuse may be tolerated from Civil defence, but not the police & definitely not the SSS. I doubt if the Nigerian Army can come out to say such.

A terror group like bokoharam will definitely have struck fear into the hearts of their ''host'' community, and its quite understandable that they'll be unwilling to give information to the authorities going by what bokoharam has been known to do to persons (& their families) who are alleged to have betrayed them. The SSS cannot expect to walk into a community & the people will start pointing fingers that yes''he is part of them'', ''that is their house''. Nah, it cant happen that way, especially whenthere's no guarantee of their lives n properties.

SSS said the group send ''intermediaries'' or is it ''representatives''. Are they not supposed to hunt down openly & secretly, these intermediaries, track them down to where the main culprits are hiding? Track phone calls, use satellite imaging & other technologies they can CONVENIENTLY afford (going by the trillion naira defence budget)?

Not saying the communities cant be more helpful, but SSS should be employing strategies than do not necessarily have to do with relying principally on info from these villagers.

Anyway, its now a normal thing in this country to be giving silly excuses for inefficiency, excuses that play on the sentiments of the people. Now, people will start saying ''yes, the govt is trying, but bokoharam has plenty supporters who are shielding & protecting them''. 'Supporters' who live in terror of this group everyday, who are hoping their country's security agencies will deliver them. I dont blame the SSS though, the person who's supposed to call them to order is also guilty of this same practice, so, SSS, ride on.

it still beats me how people can be ''shielding'' those who throw bombs at, kill and maim them at will.

Responding to the bolded part, Primary BH target are churches and FG Security Personnel. Not that hard to see a community/region with a history of religious intolerance and/or opposed to the current FG backing BH.

3 Likes

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by FindOut(m): 6:24am On Jul 26, 2012
TroGunn:

Responding to the bolded part, Primary BH target are churches and FG Security Personnel. Not that hard to see a community/region with a history of religious intolerance and/or opposed to the current FG backing BH.

My brother, I havnt been to the north, but ask those who live there. Bokoharam came to limelight when they started bombing churches. That was when they caught our attention, but not when they started mayhem. These guys had been killing people, muslim preachers included, wreaking havoc, attacking govt buildings, e.t.c. before the bombings started. & funny enuf, all these started under late Umaru Yar'adua, a muslim northern president, who if you recall, ordered the millitary/police action which led to the death of their leader in 2009.

3 Likes

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Maxymilliano(m): 6:31am On Jul 26, 2012
It is already an open secret that communities in some of the northern states shielded Boko haram elements from arrest and prosecution. That's why Abu Qaqa never claimed the attack on few mosques that was touched lately, or else the group i'll lose the sympathy it currently enjoyed.
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 26, 2012
Find Out!:

My brother, I havnt been to the north, but ask those who live there. Bokoharam came to limelight when they started bombing churches. That was when they caught our attention, but not when they started mayhem. These guys had been killing people, muslim preachers included, wreaking havoc, attacking govt buildings, e.t.c. before the bombings started. & funny enuf, all these started under late Umaru Yar'adua, a muslim northern president, who if you recall, ordered the millitary/police action which led to the death of their leader in 2009.

While BH started earlier with it's radical Islam (which appeals to some), their primary targets today remain the FG security forces ( blamed for killing Yusuf Mohammed and arresting their followers) and Christian churches ( part of it's Islamization agenda). Going after these primary targets do appeal to quite are few, who feel strongly against the current FG and don't mind killing some "infidels" in the process.

The Muslims killed are usually their fierce critics or just collateral damage while going after their primary targets. They don't target Muslims in general like they do churches and FG security forces. Only the deliberately blind would say otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Lisa1: 8:19am On Jul 26, 2012
BUMPS
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 26, 2012
Bloody Islamists! Why them out fast
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 26, 2012
Does Nigeria have a Secret Service at all? undecided

1 Like

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 26, 2012
Exactly what i have been saying, Boko haram has not be conquered is due to lack of cooperation from the north. Those BH guys came out from a community and those community leaders and indigines knows them and until they expose them then BH wont be conquered thats why i find it hard blaming GEJ for the boko haram insurgency.

For example when the kidnapping insurgency was going on in Abia State it was the indigines of ngwa land that opened up and expose the person behind the kidnapping which made it possible for the military to conquer them. Thats it until they those Northerners starts exposing the BH members in their midst then this menace will not come to END. GEJ cant do anything without the cooperation of those communities which i know they are not willing to coperate because they are still blinded with these their violent religion. The military doesn't know those boys and thats why they cant conquer them because they wont start shooting everyone on the street.

If you are still blaming GEJ for these BH menace then you are deluded and on a long tin. Until those communities are ready to cooperate the BH menace continues and every person should stop blaming GEJ. Blame the North cause the solution to BH is in their hands and not GEJ's hand.

2 Likes

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Dainfamous: 8:43am On Jul 26, 2012
tomorrow they will say is Christians that were bombing the churches while it is them that are causing problems in the country let them continue soon the will get their independence and have a full sharia country...
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by maclatunji: 8:44am On Jul 26, 2012
Find Out!:

Don't mind them. It is clear that some people prefer the status quo so that it will serve as "evidence" against Islam rather than effectively deal with the situation and overpower Boko Haram.

Nigerians have the kind of leaders the majority want and the social climate that they prefer. If this weren't true, things would have changed for the better.
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 26, 2012
It's a known fact here that boko haram have sympathizers among the communities.No country,not even america can function effectively without the cooperation of the communites.The statement by SSS is hundred percent.

1 Like

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by frevangel(m): 8:46am On Jul 26, 2012
I was still living in the North in 2009 and knows exactly what the SSS guy is saying. I had first hand info from a Muslim friend who told me how people contributed to the BH group thinking it was a legitimate Islamic Org. I have been saying this for a long while that the BH memebers are known memebers of the communities. The traditional, Islamic and political leaders know them. Its exactly as it was in the SS(Militants). They are know but they are sheilded for two reasons, one is FEAR of BH(as they have always eliminated those who they see as traitors) and the second is they have sympathizers in these communities(The muslim brothers). Like I said earlier, I got intel from a MUSLIM friend/neighbour, so all of them are not necessarily sheilding BH!

1 Like

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by linkin8k(m): 8:46am On Jul 26, 2012
gboss4sure: Exactly what i have been saying, Boko haram has not be conquered is due to lack of cooperation from the north. Those BH guys came out from a community and those community leaders and indigines knows them and until they expose them then BH wont be conquered thats why i find it hard blaming GEJ for the boko haram insurgency.

For example when the kidnapping insurgency was going on in Abia State it was the indigines of ngwa land that opened up and expose the person behind the kidnapping which made it possible for the military to conquer them. Thats it until they those Northerners starts exposing the BH members in their midst then this menace will not come to END. GEJ cant do anything without the cooperation of those communities which i know they are not willing to coperate because they are still blinded with these their violent religion. The military doesn't know those boys and thats why they cant conquer them because they wont start shooting everyone on the street.

If you are still blaming GEJ for these BH menace then you are deluded and on a long tin. Until those communities are ready to cooperate the BH menace continues and every person should stop blaming GEJ. Blame the North cause the solution to BH is in their hands and not GEJ's hand.

The problem is that due to the hatred towards GEJ no one would wanna admit what you said is true but it is. Government can't stop Boko until these communities stop hiding their members.
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by chuks49(m): 8:49am On Jul 26, 2012
Dogs don't eat dog
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by coalcoal1(m): 8:49am On Jul 26, 2012
What else do you expect from the man at the helm of affairs in SSS? His name is Little Okojie, so u can as well expect LITTLE from him
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by frevangel(m): 8:59am On Jul 26, 2012
gboss4sure: Exactly what i have been saying, Boko haram has not be conquered is due to lack of cooperation from the north. Those BH guys came out from a community and those community leaders and indigines knows them and until they expose them then BH wont be conquered thats why i find it hard blaming GEJ for the boko haram insurgency.

I lived in the North and was there when Yusuf(BH founder) was killed. Even the circumstances surrounding his death proves beyond reasonable doubts there are high profile Northern politicians in Nigeria behind the BH group. It is now a tool to discredit GEJ and amazingly, gullible Nigerians bought into it, hook, line and sinker. Have you ever wondered why they are attacking churches in the North? Its because the Northern Christians know this and supports GEJ better than most Southerners do. I remember a Christian Hausa guy telling me that the South is the problem of the South, that we are always betraying ourselves and that the Northern Muslims will sheild their own even if they are total failure. I met several Nothern Christians, from Jos, Adamawa, Gombe, Kaduna, Taraba, Bornu and Benue and they seem to be saying the same things. We still communicate and they havent changed their opinion. Having said that, I had a few Muslim friends who dont support BH too!

2 Likes

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by lafuria1(m): 9:03am On Jul 26, 2012
which communities? Let the SSS name them if he isnt shielding the communities too.
u think the northerners are tolerating this guys, after wreaking havoc in kano and north east you think kano people are ok having them. do boko harams wear uniforms or badge like al shabab, AQIM, hezbollah do? these are guys u may meet on the street, enter the same bus but have no idea who they are. have u seen any boko haram members openly saying he is one the way mend did. it it easy for one to say the communities are protecting them when they SSS have no idea of what to do. what happens to using undercover agents but of course which SSS agent is courageous enough.

1 Like

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by MusicCafe: 9:10am On Jul 26, 2012
in other word, most of your muslim friends are supporters of BH...Is there something you know that you are not telling the SSS?
fr_evangel:

I lived in the North and was there when Yusuf(BH founder) was killed. Even the circumstances surrounding his death proves beyond reasonable doubts there are high profile Northern politicians in Nigeria behind the BH group. It is now a tool to discredit GEJ and amazingly, gullible Nigerians bought into it, hook, line and sinker. Have you ever wondered why they are attacking churches in the North? Its because the Northern Christians know this and supports GEJ better than most Southerners do. I remember a Christian Hausa guy telling me that the South is the problem of the South, that we are always betraying ourselves and that the Northern Muslims will sheild their own even if they are total failure. I met several Nothern Christians, from Jos, Adamawa, Gombe, Kaduna, Taraba, Bornu and Benue and they seem to be saying the same things. We still communicate and they havent changed their opinion. Having said that, I had a few Muslim friends who dont support BH too!
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by Abujafood: 9:13am On Jul 26, 2012
The question is if these communities are shielding BH members aren't they accomplices as well?
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by andresia(m): 9:20am On Jul 26, 2012
Subtlety... SSS. that is the key thing, being subtle in ur dealings. U dont expect people to openly point out members of boko haram in their community, certainly not me for one, since I know u wont and cant guarantee my safety. My God! what is the budgeted 1trillion naira for security for if u want members of the community to do ur job for u? what about ur trainings on stealth and other security measures? why are u secret service? ask other intelligence units in other countries hw they achieve success in curbing clandestine activities in their homes.

1 Like

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by pistol: 9:20am On Jul 26, 2012
Am currently serving in d core north and i can say for certain that the sss is on track with his comment.

While in d orientation camp,the few muslims i discussed the boko harem issue usually get uncomfortable and d readily starts blaming Gej for all their woes.

Almost all northern muslims are closet supporters of boko harem but the degree of affinity and support varies.

Their born to rule mentality has rendered them virtually redundant and lazy and now that d are no longer in d corridors of power ,d are venting their fustration via boko harem.

1 Like

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by hakanai(m): 9:25am On Jul 26, 2012
TroGunn:

While BH started earlier with it's radical Islam (which appeals to some), their primary targets today remain the FG security forces ( blamed for killing Yusuf Mohammed and arresting their followers) and Christian churches ( part of it's Islamization agenda). Going after these primary targets do appeal to quite are few, who feel strongly against the current FG and don't mind killing some "infidels" in the process.

The Muslims killed are usually their fierce critics or just collateral damage while going after their primary targets. They don't target Muslims in general like they do churches and FG security forces. Only the deliberately blind would say otherwise.

and the FG agents are all Christians abi or the agents killed are mainly Christians abi.Some people can never go beyond petty deception and sentiment.
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by chucky234(m): 9:26am On Jul 26, 2012
Between SSS and the Police which one of them can you regard as a competent group?

Those guys are just bunch of lethargic goons receiving fat pay slips for nothing,unending excuses is all we hear from those incompetent goons.
Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by usmanyaro17: 9:29am On Jul 26, 2012
Find Out!:

Not saying the communities cant be more helpful, but SSS should be employing strategies that do not necessarily have to do with relying principally on info from these villagers. Find out,as far I am concern the SSS is the most efficient govt agencies in Nigeria,on my little knowledge they depend on information from people to work effectively,when people hide info how to expect them to bring this people to book?if we are to say the truth people need to give vital information to security agencies in order for us to have a safe society,because th communities know everybody even the bad eggs,support from communities can go a long way.

Re: Communities Shield Boko Haram Members – SSS by usmanyaro17: 9:31am On Jul 26, 2012
Find Out!:

Not saying the communities cant be more helpful, but SSS should be employing strategies that do not necessarily have to do with relying principally on info from these villagers.

Find out,as far I am concern the SSS is the most efficient govt agencies in Nigeria,on my little knowledge they depend on information from people to work effectively,when people hide info how to expect them to bring this people to book?if we are to say the truth people need to give vital information to security agencies in order for us to have a safe society,because th communities know everybody even the bad eggs,support from communities can go a long way.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oba Of Lagos Is Not Even Yoruba / 2019: FG Assures International Community Buhari Is Healthy / Power Grid Record 206 Collapses In 9 Years, Foreign Funded Investment Hits N715B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.