Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque (8133 Views)

Bunker, Arms Discovered At Demolished Oshodi Market Shops / Photos From The Scene Of Today's Riot In Oshodi,Lagos / Riot In Benin Calling For The Resignation Of Oshiomole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by naijaking1: 7:00am On Dec 12, 2007
We don't have to go to Sudan to appreciate Muslim religious riots.

I strongly believe that the Islamic religious set up in sub-saharan Africa was designed to cause riots and blood shed at the slightest or imaginary provocation.

If so what hope do we as Christians have planning our future with muslims in Nigeria?

Here's the link to the latest riot in Bauchi: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=97724

Religious Riot Breaks Out in Bauchi
By Mustapha Shehu in Bauchi and Seriki Adinoyi in Jos with agency reports, 12.12.2007

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

Religious crisis reared its ugly head again yesterday in ancient Bauchi city as fighting broke out in Kagadama area of the metropolis following the alleged demolition of a mosque by unidentified people.
The mosque, situated at the Baba Tanko Secondary School in Kagadama, was under construction and was allegedly pulled down by unknown persons whom THISDAY learnt were suspected to be against its location.
This action was said to have angered some Muslims in the area, leading to the outbreak of violence that extended to Yelwan Tudu and Angwan Angas areas.
THISDAY investigations revealed that security reports had earlier indicated that tension was building up in the affected area following the disagreement on the location of the mosque in the secondary school but that not much was done to nip it in the bud.
A score of people were believed to have lost their lives but the Police said only one life was lost and a few houses burnt.
The Redeemed Christian Church of God, Kagadama and Elim Church were destroyed while two mosques at Kagadama and Angwan Angas were also affected.
Apart from the churches and mosques, houses and vehicles were also set on fire during the riots.
Hundreds of residents have started fleeing their homes to take refuge in police barracks following the incident.
Bauchi State Governor, Mallam Isa Yuguda, who was away in Abuja, had to hurriedly rush back when he was informed of the outbreak of the crisis.
The visibly shaken governor imposed a dusk to dawn curfew on the town last night after inspecting the affected areas with senior government officials.
Yuguda also visited some of the displaced victims whom had taken shelter at the Yelwa Police and Army barracks to sympathise with them.
Yuguda condemned the act in a telephone interview with THISDAY, saying the riot was politically motivated to cause confusion in the state.
He said: “There are some politicians that are bent on causing confusion in the state, and have gone as far as recruiting some youth as thugs to perpetrate this act, but the police have swung into action to investigate the matter,”
The governor who said he had just returned from Abuja to meet the crisis said he went straight to the hot spot (Yelwa) to ensure that the situation was put under control.
He debunked the rumor that the crisis had any thing to do with religion saying, “it is absolutely political, and those behind it will be unveiled shortly.”
But a student of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi who simply identified himself as Justin, said the crisis was religious.
“If it is political why are churches being vandalized? Are churches political organizations?, he queried.
Meanwhile, a combined team of soldiers, policemen and other security agencies has been deployed in Bauchi to quell the violent crisis that broke out at the Yelwa area of the city.
The operation was coordinated by the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Adanaya Talman-Gaya.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by scambater(m): 7:14am On Dec 12, 2007
When will this stupidity ever need, Bauchi that is one of the most backward states in Nigeria instead of trying to encourage westerners and easterners to develop their state is now driving them away. How pathetic.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by mrpataki(m): 8:31am On Dec 12, 2007
It is a shame that in this day and age we still rely on barbaric lifestyle most especially in the North.

Moslems now go out to attack their own mosques? Stupidity at its highest order.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 12, 2007
Governor Yuguda's desperate attempt to paint the crisis as largely political in the face of glaring evidence indicating the otherwise is just further proof of the dishonesty that belies the dark spirit of islam. The spirit that spreads violence, death and intolerance wherever it can spread its poisonous fangs all ini the name of "peace".
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Seun(m): 9:00am On Dec 12, 2007
The governor may simply have been misinformed.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 12, 2007
davidylan:

Governor Yuguda's desperate attempt to paint the crisis as largely political in the face of glaring evidence indicating the otherwise is just further proof of the dishonesty that belies the dark spirit of islam. The spirit that spreads violence, death and intolerance wherever it can spread its poisonous fangs all ini the name of "peace".

YAWN. . .

i hope you didn't have to check into a nuthouse for the four days nairaland was offline. if admin hadn't chosen to open your saftey valve, you'd probably have pulled a james watson by now - told all your muslim friends ( if they do exist) the truth about how you see them - murderous hypocrites, thugs, sons of their father the devil. . . (your words. . .)tongue
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 9:17am On Dec 12, 2007
oyb:

YAWN. . .

i hope you didn't have to check into a nuthouse for the four days nairaland was offline. if admin hadn't chosen to open your saftey valve, you'd probably have pulled a james watson by now - told all your muslim friends ( if they do exist) the truth about how you see them - murderous hypocrites, thugs, sons of their father the devil. . . (your words. . .)tongue

sir you no get shame.  grin yawning at 11am in the morning?
Please stay on the topic and ignore my input. The onus of proving how peaceful islam truly is, is incumbent on you. Everyday islam continues to prove us right that it is a religion of the violent. Spend some quality time helping us to change the realities on ground rather than hiding behind your fingers of political correctness.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 9:32am On Dec 12, 2007
davidylan:

The onus of proving how peaceful islam truly is, is incumbent on you. Everyday islam continues to prove us right that it is a religion of the violent. Spend some quality time helping us to change the realities on ground rather than hiding behind your fingers of political correctness.

WORD!!!
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by ndubest(m): 9:33am On Dec 12, 2007
, PEACE PEACE PEACE shocked shocked shocked shocked
WHEN SHALL WE EVER PEACE A CHANCE TO REIGN IN THIS COUNTRY
GOD HELP US
the people that lost their lives may their souls rest in peace
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Rapsody(m): 9:35am On Dec 12, 2007
whaaat! I have dearly luvd ones staying at Yelwa Bauchi. If anything happens to them, ummh, mek i call dem first angry
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by scambater(m): 9:37am On Dec 12, 2007
Rapsody:

whaaat! I have dearly luvd ones staying at Yelwa Bauchi. If anything happens to them, ummh, mek i call them first angry

I pray nothing happens to your loved ones.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by luv2talk(m): 9:55am On Dec 12, 2007
At Poster and Davidylan
  My Guys,why are you so economical with the truth,why is it that you blame any religious Violence on Islam and Muslims.Haba,it was clearly said in the News that some christian community object to construction of Mosque inside a school in Bauchi.I think a lay man can also testify to the fact that Majority of Bauchi People are Muslim,there is no doubt about that.so,i see no reason why they should be denied to build their place of worship in their home land.Although,2 churches and 2 mosques were burnt, Bros,do u know the i identity of the victim that lost his life,who knows maybe he is a muslim and was shot by all these christian criminals that who hail from south and East.
According to the Daily Sun News,it was Christian community that demolished the Mosque,so,you want muslims to sit down are look eehh?.here is the Link

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2007/dec/12/national-12-12-2007-003.htm

Read the News Your self and conclude.Your Bible says "SAY THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE" Shikaena,
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by shagger(m): 10:28am On Dec 12, 2007
seun I don't know why some of my posts are not included, that is by the way  .To davidalyn and mr pataki:
you guys need to be more objective on this issue, before i go any further on the topic, I would like us to be object by analysing some things.
First and foremost, the fact that AREA BOYS (NOT MUSLIMS) unleashed terror on innocent people is very wrong but does it make pulling down another man's house RIGHT. In the first instance, why should someones work be destroyed, why should fellow humans be killing each other, why is Saudi Arabia not killing christians and why is the wars fought in Pakistan, Iran Afghanistan and all the others(where so many innocent lives were lost.) were taking by so many to be justified.where are the nuclear plants and weapons alleged to be in Iraq? we need to be a bit objective, because most of the uprising are actually politically motivated don't you see it?
Does robbing with automatic rifles killing and maiming people make political robbery that does not involve immmediate killing of people right(though neither is right).
All these are food for thought, you need to always check very well before reaponding to issues at any period PLEASE!
To Seun, you don't need to blacklist people, let them express their thought.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Lola4eva(f): 10:56am On Dec 12, 2007
shagger:

seun I don't know why some of my posts are not included, that is by the way .To davidalyn and mr pataki:
you guys need to be more objective on this issue, before i go any further on the topic, I would like us to be object by analysing some things.
First and foremost, the fact that AREA BOYS (NOT MUSLIMS) unleashed terror on innocent people is very wrong but does it make pulling down another man's house RIGHT. In the first instance, why should someones work be destroyed, why should fellow humans be killing each other, why is Saudi Arabia not killing christians and why is the wars fought in Pakistan, Iran Afghanistan and all the others(where so many innocent lives were lost.) were taking by so many to be justified.where are the nuclear plants and weapons alleged to be in Iraq? we need to be a bit objective, because most of the uprising are actually politically motivated don't you see it?
Does robbing with automatic rifles killing and maiming people make political robbery that does not involve immmediate killing of people right(though neither is right).
All these are food for thought, you need to always check very well before reaponding to issues at any period PLEASE!
To Seun, you don't need to blacklist people, let them express their thought.

I couldnt have said it any better, thank you so much for pointing out those facts. Christians and muslims have been living together peacefully in so many parts of the world but there are extremists that exist within both religions that will not just let peace reign, hence when the slightest opportunity for a battle arises, blood shed occurs and who gets the blame "the muslims" because "every christian believes islam is the religion that preaches violence", what they fail to understand is that individuals are different and no one should be held accountabe for any mans sins just because they share the same religion.

I think instead of slandering muslims and saying the usual bull**** we could all pray for the family of the person that lost his life and for those that lost their homes and hope that sanity returns to the state soonest!

@davidylan- u once said that u had muslim friends, i really hope they know how you truly feel about them
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by TerrySoft(m): 10:58am On Dec 12, 2007
I think i have nothing to say here since most posters are diverting from the topic.

Whewwwwwwwwwwww
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by mababe(f): 11:41am On Dec 12, 2007
I pray God to put sanity to the area and let peace reign.
sad
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 12, 2007
Whoever doubted James Watson's latest comments on blacks may not have thought well.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Iman3(m): 2:25pm On Dec 12, 2007
luv2talk:

At Poster and Davidylan
  My Guys,why are you so economical with the truth,why is it that you blame any religious Violence on Islam and Muslims.Haba,it was clearly said in the News that some christian community object to construction of Mosque inside a school in Bauchi.I think a lay man can also testify to the fact that Majority of Bauchi People are Muslim,there is no doubt about that.so,i see no reason why they should be denied to build their place of worship in their home land.Although,2 churches and 2 mosques were burnt, Bros,do u know the i identity of the victim that lost his life,who knows maybe he is a muslim and was shot by all these christian criminals that who hail from south and East.
According to the Daily Sun News,it was Christian community that demolished the Mosque,so,you want muslims to sit down are look eehh?.here is the Link

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2007/dec/12/national-12-12-2007-003.htm

Read the News Your self and conclude.Your Bible says "SAY THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE" kaena,

Exactly,so in your perveted mind,the natural and inevitable response to the demolition of a place of worship is violence.Which leaves the question,why Muslims protest when they are described as inherently prone to violence.

You seem to ascribe moral equivalence to violence on human beings and the destruction of a building.The latter can always be rebuilt.A building,no matter how sacred,should never be used as excuse for shedding blood

The idea that Bauchi is "Muslim land",thus Muslims can build mosques wherever they wish is lunacy.Surely there are Bauchi indigenes who are non-Muslim.Are you saying that non-Muslims in Bauchi should have no say over where a mosque should be cited?

Its incredible that every time religious violence erupts in the North,many Muslims find a way to blame the non-Muslim minority in the North.One would think that if non-Muslims were as violent as Northern Muslims,we would be constantly innundated with news of spontaneous religious violence in the South,were these "violent non-Muslims" dominate.

Ironical that most of the violence starts in the Muslim North,Muslim land as Luv2talk will tell us,and yet the blame chiefly resides with non-Muslim minority.To the extent that there has been violence in the South,it has always been after,not before,incidents of violence in the Muslim North
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by realcele: 2:40pm On Dec 12, 2007
Nigerians are very funny people. They are the only set of people i will see fighting over what is not theres. Riot over demolished mosque, fight between christians and muslims which are both borrowed religion to Nigerias. Nobody is fighting for Ogun (God of iron) which is one the the real Gods on Nigerian but fighiting over mosque and church demostration of crazyness and Fela Anikulapo puts it.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Mantee(m): 2:54pm On Dec 12, 2007
I thonk this Yelwa riot is political.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by nyabinghi(m): 3:16pm On Dec 12, 2007
davidylan is a deluded slowpoke u guys needn't waste your sweats on them.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by baloo4u2(m): 3:45pm On Dec 12, 2007
@posters,lets pray.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by grafikdon: 3:48pm On Dec 12, 2007
Here we go again.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by feelgood(m): 3:52pm On Dec 12, 2007
Dear nyabinghi,
perhaps davidylan does deserve your name calling - only problem is, these incidents, apparently embarrasing though they are to you, just keep on proving him right.
So what to do? Perhaps a reappraisal of what so easily sets these otherwise gentle folks, into raging demoniacs. Not hitting on David, dont you think?
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by knzguru(m): 4:17pm On Dec 12, 2007
@luv2talk

I must say that i agree with I-man. Your arguement lack merit or would you say that a mere BUILDING created by man is equal to a LIFE created by GOD?

Northern Nigerian muslims need to be re-educated on the tenets of true Islam. Even basic education, which by the way is seriously lacking in major parts of the North, would help alleviate such behaviour but then considering the fact that false extremist religion is a powerful political tool wielded by unscrupulous politicians i dont see much been done about this in the nearest future.

Christians left such babaric acts hundreds of years ago so extremist mulims really should grow up and get with the times.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by naijaking1: 4:39pm On Dec 12, 2007
Describing these riots as political is a weak attempt to shift focus on the true cause of the riots.

Remember, we have seen this partern in Kano, Gombe, Kaduna, Maiduguri, etc, and everytime it happens the authorities begin with "This is obviuosly the hand-work of political enemies. All culprits involved will be brought to book, bla, bla, bla"

Then the governors may set up a panel of enquiry, the reports are of course are never made public. After a few months, the stage is set for another murderous mayhem in the name of religion in another city. We can do better!

The second point, the riots are not caused by 'street urchins/area boys' These riots, by their nature and complexity are organized by the highest echelon of Islamic authorities in the area.

Authorities so high that even the governor is beholden to them---Foreign spy agencies like CIA, Mossad, and British M15 know all about these structures.

I first learned about almajiris in northern Nigerian cities from an Israeli classmate who worked as a 'poultry adviser' to the Gombe state government.

Thirdly, even if there is a dispute about the location of a mosque or a church, wouldn't it have been better to seek peaceful and non-violent ways of settling it first? Such as court action, and petion to authorities.

Why should rioting and blood shed be the first course of action for the proponents of Islam, the religion of peace?

Finally, this topic is very germaine to the life, properties, and even future of Nigeria that we should not reduce the level of discussion to personal attacks.

These attacks are clear indication that the attacker has no new ideas, and is capable of distorting and confusing the issues.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Lola4eva(f): 5:06pm On Dec 12, 2007
@naijaking- i understand your frustations and i also do not agree with the bloodsheds and rioting, there are other ways to solve the problem of a broken down building than resulting to violence, thats why i stated the issue of extremists existing in islam, they believe that by fighting and killing, they're doing their religion justice, the truth is that they do not have anyone to educate them otherwise, thats how they were taught to do right. As i said ealier, not all muslims want to be associated with these killings, some of us are actually sad when we hear of such religious conflicts, it only potrays islam and muslims in a bad light and all the "haters" of the religion have more and more to say, when the truth is they really dont understand
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by israelite(m): 5:13pm On Dec 12, 2007
Yup, come to think of recent murdered of a secondary school teacher that was burnt to death by moslems student on the bases of detecting a student cheating in examination hall, wht action did the so called moslem community in gombe state do to this brutal, even the sate governor,the fact still remains that moslem are so aggressive on religious issue.Am preety sure that moslem will start the fight first cause they deprive joy with thier jihad.
    we xtain let leave them with their ignorant mentality, and preay to God for them.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by naijaking1: 5:18pm On Dec 12, 2007
@Lola4eva
Thanks for your contribution. For more than 20 years now there has been repeated and sometimes unprovoked religious disturbances in northern Nigeria.

These murderous riots follow the same patterns year-in, year-out.

Everybody in authority claim not to know what to do, can you imagine a killing rampage in Enugu by catholic youths going on from year to year, directed against other religions?

Can you imagine that the Archbishop or the whoever is incharge would be walking around a freeman, blaming the problems on street-urchins?

No, he would have been in jail long time ago.

Why can't that happen in the north? Which iman has ever been arrested and convicted for for these riots. Probably, NONE.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 12, 2007
I blame the politicians who insisted on building a mosque in a location where the Christian neighbours opposed.Someone should have been listening.
Mosques generate an awful amount of noise with their morning calls for prayer and personally I would not want one near my house.
Neither would I want to live near a church with loudspeakers mounted towards my window,it is noise pollution.

I also blame the people that demolished the mosque,that was vandalism but I can understand their fear and frustrations.
Most religious  killings in Nigeria have started after they come out of the mosques on Friday.
Any sane person,even an Ifa priest in Bauchi would not want to live near one.
You want them far away from your dwelling place.

I am pretty sure they would listen to the opinions of opposing Muslims if they objected to the construction of a church in a particular spot say across from a mosque
Why can't Christians be accorded the same priviledges?
I guess now that innocent people have lost their lives they'll now listen when this whole thing would have been avoided in the first place.

Enough of all these killings.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by naijaking1: 5:27pm On Dec 12, 2007
Dear babyosisi nwando, I really agree with you.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 12, 2007
@ quote from lola4ever

I couldnt have said it any better, thank you so much for pointing out those facts. Christians and muslims have been living together peacefully in so many parts of the world but there are extremists that exist within both religions that will not just let peace reign, hence when the slightest opportunity for a battle arises, blood shed occurs and who gets the blame "the muslims" because "every christian believes islam is the religion that preaches violence", what they fail to understand is that individuals are different and no one should be held accountabe for any mans sins just because they share the same religion.

there are indeed "extremists" in christianity but ma'am PLS just show me ONE instance where christians went on rampage destroying mosques and killing others because they were prevented from building a church.
The constant islamic attitude of trying to rationalize muslim violence by trumpeting the worn out excuse that there are extremists in both religions is nothing but pure deciet.

Christians are under strict laws in some sharia states in the north with regards to building churches. . . where have they gone on rampage?

When will muslims begin to stand up and take responsibility for their actions rather than burying their heads in the sands of falsehood?

Every christian does not "believe" that islam is a religion that preaches violence, we read the violence in the quran . . . we see the violence everywhere, from Nigeria to Sudan, Algeria, Iraq, Iran, France . . . muslim violence everywhere! We don't need to believe anything, muslims are too busy proving us right that indeed theirs is a religion of immense hatred and violence!

I think instead of slandering muslims and saying the usual bull**** we could all pray for the family of the person that lost his life and for those that lost their homes and hope that sanity returns to the state soonest!

This is plain deciet and is tantamount to cutting the leaves off a diseased tree in the hope of curing it. We have been praying forever, it is only a matter of time before the slaves of allah rise up to give him more sacrifices of human blood!
Shld we also pray for the 45 dead in Algeria, and the dead in Darfur, the dead in Pakistan, Gaza, Iraq, Iran . . .? how long before we run out of patience to pray?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akpabio And Amaechi Controversial New Jets / Threat Of Impeachment Of APC Governors Suspicious –NLC Chief / A United South Is The Down Fall Of The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.