Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs (23907 Views)

El-Rufai Sidelined In Selection Of Kaduna Ministerial Nominee - Sahara Reporters / Elechi Sidelined, Booed As Jonathan’s Campaign Train Visits Ebonyi / Obi Appoints Bob Manuel As SSA. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Vigilante: 9:16pm On Jul 26, 2012
Saharareporters is reporting that Gej has hired Doyin Okupe as SSA Public Affairs. Is it game up for Reuben Abati?

Presidential spokesman Reuben Abati has been effectively sidelined, with the Presidency hiring Ogun-state born medical doctor, Doyin Okupe, to handle President Goodluck Jonathan’s publicity. Mr. Okupe’s designation is as a senior special assistant on public affairs. One source revealed that Mr. Okupe is being brought in to act as attack dog against critics of the president and his wife.

Our sources within Aso Rock disclosed that the personnel shake-up came at the instance of First Lady Patience Jonathan who bitterly complained that Mr. Abati was not doing a satisfactory job of shielding her as well as her husband from media attacks.

One source revealed that Mrs. Jonathan had been fuming over a recent spate of media attacks targeted at her. The media, civil society activists as well as opposition political parties have recently pummeled Mrs. Jonathan for accepting an absurd appointment as a permanent secretary in Bayelsa State and the naming of an Abuja street after her.

More recently, she has faced a barrage of criticism for squandering billions of naira of public funds to buy 200 expensive cars for a jamboree of African First Ladies in Abuja.

At first, the Presidency responded by stating that the cars were donated by Cocharis Motors. However, the story developed into an evolving scandal when the car dealer insisted that the cars were purchased, but declined to disclose who paid for the automobiles.

“The attacks over the cars finally overwhelmed Madam [Mrs. Jonathan], and she blamed her image troubles on Dr. Abati’s incompetence,” said a source. He added that Mrs. Jonathan then demanded that Mr. Okupe, a medical doctor who served as former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s spokesman, be brought in to take charge of the Presidency’s image management. “The impression is that Dr. Abati has been too soft and has committed too many blunders in his attempts to defend the president and his wife,” said one source.

One source said Mr. Abati’s role may now be a sinecure, with diminishing importance in the president’s media strategy. Mr. Okupe, who has held several political posts and once eyed the Ogun State governorship, will assume primary responsibility for managing the image of the president and his wife.

Another source in Aso Rock told SaharaReporters, “Dr. Abati is a victim of a rumpus in the Villa over the 200 cars. The First Lady protested to the president on Wednesday evening over the bad publicity. She queried the relevance of the presidential media team, headed by Dr. Reuben Abati.
She insisted on immediate overhaul of the presidential media and publicity crew. The president now decided to move to hire an attack dog as a senior special assistant on public affairs.”

One source explained that Mr. Abati further infuriated Mrs. Jonathan when he tried to argue that it was the duty of her media team to handle her publicity affairs.

A Presidency source who witnessed Mrs. Jonathan’s fury told SaharaReporters that “The First Lady was close to tears as she desperately declared her innocence. She said, ‘I did not award any contract, I did not buy any car. Why are they writing this about me? And nobody in the media team could defend me and my family. Those coming for our meeting are not up to 200 First Ladies, but then they say I bought 200 cars.’”

The source said all the presidential aides who were around at the time the First Lady delivered her tirade were speechless.

Two sources told us that the Presidency decided that it was time to bring in somebody who is willing to act as an attack dog in the same way that Femi Fani-Kayode did for former President Obasanjo.

“Fani-Kayode would have been brought in, but he has been a big attacker of the president. So the president decided to approach Dr. Okupe,” said one source.

Mr. Abati, a former columnist and editorial page editor for the (Nigerian) Guardian, and Mr. Okupe share something in common: they are both indigenes of Ogun State.

A source who knows Mr. Okupe described him as needing “urgent financial rehabilitation” after a series of political woes. The source added that the Presidency has decided it “it has had enough of these attacks from the opposition. It is now fire-for-fire.”

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/news-page/abati-sidelined-mrs-jonathan-fumes-over-bad-publicity-okupe-hired-attack-dog
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Alamutatalo: 9:30pm On Jul 26, 2012
Doyin cube??I dey laff.Even if GEJ appoints Larry King,the press will still mess him cos he takes silly,ill timed and undefendable decisions!

9 Likes

Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 26, 2012
full time politician.He needs all the pubilicity to accelerate his own ambitions
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by bizgynbala(m): 9:52pm On Jul 26, 2012
Clueless retardeen again? This man has suddenly became an over night celebrity due to his clueless ill timed decision.. Doyin ko Knorr Ni....lol.. Lol.. Lol...

2 Likes

Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Vigilante: 9:59pm On Jul 26, 2012
Can't remember how Doyin Okupe fared with OBJ but I recall he left abrubtly
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Super1759: 10:28pm On Jul 26, 2012
Don't believe this SAHARA ANIMALS

2 Likes

Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 26, 2012
Sahara or is it Kilimanjaro Reporters. I am fvcking tired of reading cat and bull stories from you.

2 Likes

Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jul 26, 2012
I nominate BEAF cuz he's always in Attack mode.

4 Likes

Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Dhelake: 11:15pm On Jul 26, 2012
40man laptop squard ... Also to be overhauled

2 Likes

Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by wakima: 11:59pm On Jul 26, 2012
Doyin Okupe service under abacha govt..
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by frankpessu(m): 9:30am On Jul 27, 2012
Na him sabi
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by DExplorer1: 9:32am On Jul 27, 2012
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by najoke: 9:32am On Jul 27, 2012
just wondering if this will in any way affect the 40 man laptop crew
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Lilspicer(f): 9:33am On Jul 27, 2012
I wonder why nigeria politicians are greedy dey wuld always seek for apointment dis mugu served in abacha's govt.....
he was obasanjo's aid now his back recycled wit same mentaly-we need revolution what is the diference between his job and dat of stupid rueben who used to critices jeg on his newspaper?I wonder why nigeria politicians are greedy dey wuld always seek for apointment dis mugu served in abacha's govt.....
he was obasanjo's aid now his back recycled wit same mentaly-we need revolution what is the diference between his job and dat of stupid rueben who used to critices jeg on his newspaper?
I wonder why nigeria politicians are greedy dey wuld always seek for apointment dis mugu served in abacha's govt.....
he was obasanjo's aid now his back recycled wit same mentaly-we need revolution what is the diference between his job and dat of stupid rueben who used to critices jeg on his newspaper?
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Nobody: 9:35am On Jul 27, 2012
Doyin served under obasanjo regime and not abacha...but seriously thinking this decision is kind of absurd, everybody calls him 'the retardeen' or 'clueless' its sad but he keeps making funny decisions!

1 Like

Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by JideTheBlogger(m): 9:35am On Jul 27, 2012
Just a way to let him also have some piece of the National cake under him (GEJ). Just wondering if he will be doing something different from what the Info Minister (Maku) and Abati have been doing for him.

1 Like

Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 27, 2012
Whether Abati is sidelined or not, is it Kilimanjaro Sahara Reporters Business ?
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Nobody: 9:37am On Jul 27, 2012
na_joke: just wondering if this will in any way affect the 40 man laptop crew

What's with the 40 man lap crew?
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by nasty45(m): 9:37am On Jul 27, 2012
I dont knw abt y'al sayin saharareporter is dope buh am goin wit dem al d way.they get the news first and others follow.y'al shd wait and see what the dailies wil com out wit.ALL THESE 40 LAPTOPS FOLKS PLS GET A LIFE....U GUYS ARE SICKENIN

1 Like

Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Odunnu: 9:38am On Jul 27, 2012
na_joke: just wondering if this will in any way affect the 40 man laptop crew
There's more opening. 60 more laptop men are needed. Here is an opportunity you shouldnt joke with
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by cyril83(m): 9:39am On Jul 27, 2012
The issues of coscharis and 200 cars had brought confusion, all the blames has now been shifted to abati's file,if truly 200 cars were not bought why wud they have to sideline abati...
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by cyril83(m): 9:40am On Jul 27, 2012
nasty45: I dont knw abt y'al sayin saharareporter is dope buh am goin wit dem al d way.they get the news first and others follow.y'al shd wait and see what the dailies wil com out wit.ALL THESE 40 LAPTOPS FOLKS PLS GET A LIFE....U GUYS ARE SICKENIN
never you mind the PDP warriors
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by brownlord: 9:41am On Jul 27, 2012
Vigilante: More recently, she has faced a barrage of criticism for squandering billions of naira of public funds to buy 200 expensive cars for a jamboree of African First Ladies in Abuja.

At first, the Presidency responded by stating that the cars were donated by Cocharis Motors. However, the story developed into an evolving scandal when the car dealer insisted that the cars were purchased, but declined to disclose who paid for the automobiles.

“The attacks over the cars finally overwhelmed Madam [Mrs. Jonathan], and she blamed her image troubles on Dr. Abati’s incompetence,” said a source. He added that Mrs. Jonathan then demanded that Mr. Okupe, a medical doctor who served as former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s spokesman, be brought in to take charge of the Presidency’s image management. “The impression is that Dr. Abati has been too soft and has committed too many blunders in his attempts to defend the president and his wife,” said one source.

What are they saying now, was the cars bought or hired? that what i want to know i don't care who he hired to clean up his shameful act in the public
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 27, 2012
Kilimanjaro Reporters are on the Payroll of the daemons, so they are always there to pass blames. Now Kilimanjaro, whats the issue with you if Abati is sidelined.
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Minsah5(m): 9:42am On Jul 27, 2012
grin[color=#990000][/color]gej hmmmmmmmm[b]gej hmmmmmmmm[/b]gej hmmmmmmmm
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Elnuk34(m): 9:45am On Jul 27, 2012
Madam and presido should know that bad market na bad market anyday. Who do they even take us for? A bunch of dummies or what? I'm really sick of this God forsaking country where absurdity is the order of the day. What a pity!
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by musajohn80: 9:46am On Jul 27, 2012
Is this not thesame Doyin Okupe that OBJ fired unannounced because of some "funny" acts of his? I hope GEJ is not taking irrational decision because of his wife? If he wants to change Abati, why not chop for another replacement. We have capable guys who can deliver, must it be thesame old recycled criminals?....SMH for Nigeria...God will help us!
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by ayox2003: 9:46am On Jul 27, 2012
You dont need to hire anyone to defend your course if you're on the right track. Posterity will!

Come to think of it, another person has been added to the payroll. Bogus allowance and salary that should have been channelled to better the lives of nigerians.
GEJ, time will tell!

Frawzey

4 Likes

Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by najoke: 9:46am On Jul 27, 2012
Odunnu:
There's more opening. 60 more laptop men are needed. Here is an opportunity you shouldnt joke with

Really....(updating CV) can someone help out with Beaf's or Billyonaire email add.

@Beaf & Billyonaire
My best friends grin grin grin grin
my broda's from anoda mama grin grin grin
will soon send my CV to u guys wink wink wink

Oh i forgot.....i can work with or without supervision o!
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 27, 2012
Dr. Okupe and Reuben Abati vs over 160million Nigerians. It's not balanced atall. I think Gej needs to hire more media assistants.
Re: Abati Sidelined? : Doyin Okupe Hired As SSA Public Afairs by nagoma(m): 9:48am On Jul 27, 2012
Alamutatalo: Doyin cube??I dey laff.Even if GEJ appoints Larry King,the press will still mess him cos he takes silly,ill timed and undefendable decisions!

Yes, A bad workman blames his tools. The solution is not in changing the damage control outlets. The president and his Royal household have to stop the blunders and serve the people's interest. I have no sympathy for Obati who must have accumulated some personal loot by now. He can actually leave now, richer in monetary terms but much poorer in public image and respect compared to when he went to work for the clueless government.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Godwin Emefiele's Mother, Alice, Is Dead / Stop Anti-Open Grazing Law In Benue State For Peace To Reign - Fulani Group / EFCC: Abdulrasheed Bawa Promoted To Level 14 Ahead Of Senate Screening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.