Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,736 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Why Is UK So Expensive??? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is UK So Expensive??? (29252 Views)

10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? / Why Are Tickets So Expensive In And Outside Of Nigeria This December? / Why Is UK Visa So Expensive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is UK So Expensive??? by omoeast(m): 10:38am On Jul 29, 2012
Hey Nairalanders,i would be glad if someone could tell me why United Kingdom is sooooo expensive.

I think this country is the most expensive in the world,things are not normal AND still it remains everyone's dream land expectially Nigerian

For Example,am a student i live in the UK,i pay £400 every month in east london which is not even central,£400 is 100k naija currency for a room,is that normalNot a flat...Just one room without no sitting room...its gonna be a shared apartment.3-4 people might be living in the same flat with you,you will share kitchen and toilet with them.Sitting room will be for let as well...I went to Heathrow Airport 3 days ago,someone called me to come online,i went to there internet cafe to browse,i was surprised when i saw the price...£1 for 10 mins(250 naira for 10 mins)Is that normalThere so called Olympic stadium seats are soo empty,do you know why?Ticket price aren't normal.Several Olympic venues were far from full on day one.

If you live in the UK,you will surely know no one except the rich kids will take black cabs,it's so EXPENSIVE.

I was checking apartment in the Olympic Village...I found a house for 1 million pounds monthly.Isn't that ridiculous(i cant find the link anymore but you can check the internet,just google olympic house for rent in stratford)

Now the question is WHY IS LONDON SO EXPENSIVE

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 10:58am On Jul 29, 2012
omoeast: Hey Nairalanders,i would be glad if someone could tell me why United Kingdom is sooooo expensive.

I think this country is the most expensive in the world,things are not normal AND still it remains everyone's dream land expectially Nigerian

For Example,am a student i live in the UK,i pay £400 every month in east london which is not even central,£400 is 100k naija currency for a room,is that normalNot a flat...Just one room without no sitting room...its gonna be a shared apartment.3-4 people might be living in the same flat with you,you will share kitchen and toilet with them.Sitting room will be for let as well...I went to Heathrow Airport 3 days ago,someone called me to come online,i went to there internet cafe to browse,i was surprised when i saw the price...£1 for 10 mins(250 naira for 10 mins)Is that normalThere so called Olympic stadium seats are soo empty,do you know why?Ticket price aren't normal.Several Olympic venues were far from full on day one.

If you live in the UK,you will surely know no one except the rich kids will take black cabs,it's so EXPENSIVE.

I was checking apartment in the Olympic Village...I found a house for 1 million pounds monthly.Isn't that ridiculous(i cant find the link anymore but you can check the internet,just google olympic house for rent in stratford)

London is not the most expensive city in the world, actually Tokyo followed by an African city Luanda are the most expensive city.

Osaka in Japan, Moscow in Russia and Geneva in Switzerland complete the list
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by onatisi(m): 11:31am On Jul 29, 2012
try tokyo i bet you will run back to london

3 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by cheddarking(m): 3:19pm On Jul 29, 2012
omoeast: Hey Nairalanders,i would be glad if someone could tell me why United Kingdom is sooooo expensive.

I believe you've answered your own question with this statement:

omoeast:
For Example,am a student i live in the UK....

The cost of living in the UK is relatively expensive to Nigeria because the standard of living is relatively A LOT higher...

Its even worse if you're unemployed...When you get a job, you'll find that its NOT as expensive as you think...
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 29, 2012
The answer is simply in the economics text books. The law of demand and supply. So many people chose to go to UK for schooling, shopping, tourism etc. And since the government depends on taxation which is added to the rents and other products/services price regimes, the multiplier effect is what you feel daily in the UK, little wonder people living in UK almost always come home with little or nothing to show for it than a rented accent.

15 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by ODB1: 3:22pm On Jul 29, 2012
Because since the Imperialist lost out on their empires the govt has to tax everything.

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by cheddarking(m): 3:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: The answer is simply in the economics text books. The law of demand and supply. So many people chose to go to UK for schooling, shopping, tourism etc. And since the government depends on taxation which is added to the rents and other products/services price regimes, the multiplier effect is what you feel daily in the UK, little wonder people living in UK almost always come home with little or nothing to show for it than a rented accent.

Hahahahahaha
grin grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by alaoeri: 3:24pm On Jul 29, 2012
Uk ain't the most expensive city in the world but things are like that because britiko has nö valuable natural resources so they depend on Tax payer money to build their country that's why things are expensive.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by stagger: 3:25pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: The answer is simply in the economics text books. The law of demand and supply. So many people chose to go to UK for schooling, shopping, tourism etc. And since the government depends on taxation which is added to the rents and other products/services price regimes, the multiplier effect is what you feel daily in the UK, little wonder people living in UK almost always come home with little or nothing to show for it than a rented accent.

Spot on. I don't even know why people go to the UK. Why don't they simply come to Abuja and live? The city is at least comparable to some of these major cities in the world and things work to a large extent in Abj.

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by eledalo: 3:34pm On Jul 29, 2012
Because you are so broke.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 29, 2012
Wooooh,i envisage a very interesting thread,i''be back mehn
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 29, 2012

Hahahaha..... Broke returnee with a rented accent got me laughing.

@OP

Tokyo and Oslo is expensive too. But these cities are far better than London. In Tokyo, work and business Yapka.

London is overhyped.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by sdiq: 3:40pm On Jul 29, 2012
NA U SABI WATIN U GO FIND THERE BEFORE SO DON'T COMPLAIN

3 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 29, 2012
stagger:

Spot on. I don't even know why people go to the UK. Why don't they simply come to Abuja and live? The city is at least comparable to some of these major cities in the world and things work to a large extent in Abj.
Stagger, are you drunk?

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 29, 2012
stagger:

My brother, you need to see their faces when they say " Am going to London"; "I traveled abroad"; "Am in 'Lond(o)n'", all with rented accent that disappears the moment you ask them for 2m Naira loan. Its shameful.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Youngzedd(m): 3:41pm On Jul 29, 2012
stagger:

Which side in Abuja is cheap? (Exclude Ghetto)
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 29, 2012
Olodostein:
Hahahaha..... Broke returnee with a rented accent got me laughing.
@OP
Tokyo and Oslo is expensive too. But these cities are far better than London. In Tokyo, work and business Yapka.
London is overhyped.
Bros no vex for me, I had no choice than to come home and build my motherland and throw away the rented accent.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 3:44pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: My brother, you need to see their faces when they say " Am going to London"; "I traveled abroad"; "Am in 'Lond(o)n'", all with rented accent that disappears the moment you ask them for 2m Naira loan. Its shameful.

You don't need a loan from London based Nigerians, ask those in Abuja, they can give you that with original accent.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 3:46pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Bros no vex for me, I had no choice than to come home and build my motherland and throw away the rented accent.

For the fact that you failed to make it in the UK does not mean other did not.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Skii(m): 3:46pm On Jul 29, 2012
Omo this one I have to put mouth,

jand cost no be small, no be only london, outside sef...if u no too hold mama charlie for hand, omo you go hear am!!

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 29, 2012
justwise:

You don't need a loan from London based Nigerians, ask those in Abuja, they can give you that with original accent.
Was just for effect, not that I asked.
justwise:

Lmao... Nl, una no go kee person..
justwise:

I understand.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 3:48pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Was just for effect, not that I asked.

Indeed, tell that to a yr old baby, if they have given you the 2M you wouldn't have turned it down.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by MegaG: 3:49pm On Jul 29, 2012

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by calculusx(m): 3:49pm On Jul 29, 2012
The only cheap stuff in uk is their food, as for every other thing else, don't try and convert the equivalent to Naira, you may end up not buying anything. I missed their Chinese spicy prawn special fried rice and roasted duck special fried rice grin for just £3.20 while the same will cost about #6k in Lag.

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by brownlord: 3:50pm On Jul 29, 2012

The same Uk when ur mate dey go, buy car come build house for nja, omon pack ur tins come house jor, when you people are in Nigeria you want to travel by all means now you don reach there you don start life, ehen start pick pocket as una dey do am here now or better still kidnapping idiot

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 29, 2012
justwise:

Indeed, tell that to a yr old baby, if they have given you the 2M you wouldn't have turned it down.
Thats not money for many people, my friend. Please respond to the thread and dont get personal on this.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by snowdrops(m): 3:51pm On Jul 29, 2012
You say UK is expensive then only gave London ( house rent and internet fee ) as an example. Remember UK comprises England, Wales and Scotland. Cost of living is generally lower outside London, so maybe you should relocate from the capital city.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by polokor60(m): 3:52pm On Jul 29, 2012
rented accent,there is never a dull moment in nairaland,i believe every body in naija is a comedian in their our way grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 3:52pm On Jul 29, 2012
brownlord:

The same Uk when ur mate dey go, buy car come build house for nja, omon pack ur tins come house jor, when you people are in Nigeria you want to travel by all means now you don reach there you don start life, e[b]hen start pick pocket as una dey do am here now or better still kidnapping idiot
[/b]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by pembisco(m): 3:52pm On Jul 29, 2012
because its only pple lyk d wives of Anambra state law makers dt ar supoz 2b there! Mtcheww!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

My Niger State Experience. / U.S Army Helicopter Crashes With 8 Soldiers On Board In Japan (Photos) / Accident At Aba Claims Lives As A Container Fell On A Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.