Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? (4282 Views)

We Pay Between 300 - 500 Naira To Enter Nigeria – Illegal Immigrants (Pictured) / UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News / Why Is UK So Expensive??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by Seandeeds(m): 1:31pm On Nov 17, 2014
Lives of UK illegal Immigrants is increasingly difficult. The government is making it harder for them to live a decent life. This is very sad for the honest and hard working people who unfortunately belong to this group.
The UK is a great country. It is a country where you can live your dream. Great environment, political stability, great social infrastructure, these are some of the necessities of life you enjoy if you live in the UK. While you enjoy all these, to the UK illegal Immigrants, living the UK dream is just fantasy.

It can be a sad and horrifying experience, being restricted. Take for instance, where claiming what otherwise should have been your basic entitlement isn't possible, you would wanna go crazy.
The purpose of this post is just for intending over-stayers and probably new over-stayers to think twice.

There are some things you do not have access to as illegal immigrant. Below is just ten of those things

1) Bank Account
UK illegal Immigrants do not have the right to open bank accounts. A bank account is necessary for various reasons, such as work, bills payment, rent payment and more. Part of the requirements for opening an account is your identification document, which is mostly your international passport, driving licence etc. You may not have these things if you are not documented immigration wise.

2) National Insurance Number
A national insurance number is a set of digits and letters issued by the HMR for the purpose if calculating your pension and any other stuff. It is compulsory requirement for getting a job in the UK.

To apply for this they will require your passport, proof of address and evidences that you are actively seeking employment or on a job.

READ ALSO: 3 Things To Do When You First Get To The UK

3) Government Accommodation
There are times when things can really be hard and the council will come to your rescue. Without the necessary immigration papers, you cannot apply for a flat or anything at all. That's why most times you find mums with 2 or 3 kids living in one room accommodation. It may not be true in all cases, but most of them fall into this category. Trying to do this through the back door is illegal and you could go to jail for it.

4) Job
The law is clear on this, no undocumented person is allowed to work in the UK. It doesn't mean they are not in employment, we read the papers everyday. They work in constant fear. If a policeman walks into their workplace innocently, you can begin to imagine how they will disappear stylishly.
Again, the jobs you can do are very limited. That's why graduates work in the kitchen and toilets and others.

5) Driving
Without the right papers in the UK, you cannot apply for your driving licence. The easiest way to get caught by the police and immigration officials is driving without your papers, God help you if they should flag you down.
The first thing they ask is your driving licence. If you can not produce any or they investigate and they are not genuine, they arrest you straight up. If you do not have your papers yet, it's not advisable to start driving.

6) Benefits
As an undocumented immigrant, you are not entitled to any public fund whatsoever. If you lose your job, you are on your own till you manage to get another one, unlike those who are legal. It's a sorry situation, to be honest. When you work, you pay taxes. If you lose the job, you can't get any help from the government. Other benefits like housing, working tax credit and many more are not available to anyone without papers.

7) School
You probably know someone who is not legal and yet has a university degree here in the UK. What about those who tried the same backdoor but got caught? Under the law, you can't go to school or do anything that can add value to your life.

cool Rent Through Agents
With the recent law mandating landlords to verify prospective tenants it's becoming more and more difficult for those without papers to rent comfortable houses and flats, especially through lettings agents. You are suppose to provide a proof of identity which should be your international passport. It has always been the general practice, only that it's now a law.

9) Buying A house
I want to talk about this in two parts. Firstly, without any reasonable job, how do you get the money to pay for a mortgage? Secondly, how do you identify yourself? It's a tall dream for an immigrant without papers to buy a house, at least legally. Any other way will see you breaking the law.

10) Vote
As an immigrant you must must the right papers to vote and be voted for. UK illegal Immigrants cannot register to vote, join a political party or stand an election. Personally, I see this right as the height of human freedom. Why would you wanna risk this great right? As a citizen of this world, wherever you find yourself, in the form of a country, you should be able to have your say in the affairs of your state.

Conclusion
This post is not to discourage anybody from coming to settle in the UK. I am just trying to let you guys know what happens when you do not do it right. People need to know these things so they can make more wise decisions.
We'll be deceiving ourselves if we say some people do not come in, with the intention of over staying their tourist visas, which of course is illegal. My advice is if you are one of such, consult your solicitor immediately.

- See more at: http://uklounge..co.uk/2014/11/10-things-uk-illegal-immigrants-can-not.html#sthash.oYmn4S8c.dpuf
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by atikubaba(m): 1:39pm On Nov 17, 2014
Home sweet home.Omo naija nimi naija ni won bimisi naija nimo ti bere si ka ABC ........ cheesy
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by politricks: 1:55pm On Nov 17, 2014
Is it by force to live in the uk?. Some people will be washing toilet there and their parents back home will be like 'my son is in london'.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by dustydee: 3:03pm On Nov 17, 2014
Seandeeds:
Lives of UK illegal Immigrants is increasingly difficult. The government is making it harder for them to live a decent life. This is very sad for the honest and hard working people who unfortunately belong to this group.
What an irony. How can someone be an "illegal" immigrant and be a "honest" immigrant at the same time?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 17, 2014
dustydee:

What an irony. How can someone be an "illegal" immigrant and be a "honest" immigrant at the same time?

I just wanted to point that out. . . Lolz
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by Seandeeds(m): 3:28pm On Nov 17, 2014
It is probably an irony. I meant all they wanna do is work, pay their taxes and feed their family. Some are out there doing fraud and all. That's where the 'honest and hardworking' came in.
dustydee:

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by CoCoLav(f): 5:33pm On Nov 17, 2014
That's why its called "illegal"
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by bebe2(f): 9:32pm On Nov 17, 2014
on the vote issue,

i think u need correct that one.

last i checked as a common wealth citizen u r allowed to vote.

they dont ask for any document wen registering to vote.
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by justwise(m): 11:48pm On Nov 17, 2014
Seandeeds:

It can be a sad and horrifying experience, being restricted. Take for instance, where claiming what otherwise should have been your basic entitlement isn't possible, you would wanna go crazy.

grin grin grin grin smh

1 Like

Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 1:26am On Nov 18, 2014
dustydee:

I heart NL grin
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by Seandeeds(m): 12:53pm On Nov 20, 2014
No. I do not think so. If you don't have a right to stay in the UK, you don't have the right to vote. iIt would be 'illegal'.
bebe2:
on the vote issue,

i think u need correct that one.

last i checked as a common wealth citizen u r allowed to vote.

they dont ask for any document wen registering to vote.
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by Lexusgs430: 3:36pm On Nov 20, 2014
Seandeeds:
No. I do not think so. If you don't have a right to stay in the UK, you don't have the right to vote. iIt would be 'illegal'.

Illegal immigrants have no rights to vote. Does not mean it does not happen, once an illegal immigrants name is on the voting list and decides to vote, that's their responsibility or irresponsibility !!!!
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by Lexusgs430: 5:14pm On Nov 29, 2014
Regarding voting rights, the laws are changing now and each voter would have to provide nationality, Date of birth and national insurance number.
This is in part to making the voting system more secure and to curb other anomalies.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by marieolae(f): 9:18am On Dec 09, 2014
politricks:
Is it by force to live in the uk?. Some people will be washing toilet there and their parents back home will be like 'my son is in london'.
This is exactly what I'm trying to say
People in nigeria think the uk is a bed full of roses, I'm telling you even as a citizen its not easy to find a job.
Racism is at its peak, and employers are not ready to give african people a chance.
Some people who are "nigerian-uk" based are coming back to nigeria to settle down.

Its hard out there.
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by cupidhero(m): 10:16am On Dec 09, 2014
marieolae:
This is exactly what I'm trying to say
People in nigeria think the uk is a bed full of roses, I'm telling you even as a citizen its not easy to find a job.
Racism is at its peak, and employers are not ready to give african people a chance.
Some people who are "nigerian-uk" based are coming back to nigeria to settle down.

Its hard out there.
Racism is everywhere,a waiter at a fancy restaurant called me a "ebola" and said he won't serve me and my relations last month after i went o the far east on business visa,it took the intervention of one of my relatives who has lived there for 35+ years before this waiter served us,UK is even better,atleast the nigerian commuinity there is huge and well respected and connected . The police state in USA affects more black youths than whites,is like they are trying to kill us all. i tire o!
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by marieolae(f): 10:23am On Dec 09, 2014
cupidhero:

Racism is everywhere,a waiter at a fancy restaurant called me a "ebola" and said he won't serve me and my relations last month after i went o the far east on business visa,it took the intervention of one of my relatives who has lived there for 35+ years before this waiter served us,UK is even better,atleast the nigerian commuinity there is huge and well respected and connected . The police state in USA affects more black youths than whites,is like they are trying to kill us all. i tire o!
sorry, is that america?

Yeah in terms of racism, america is terrible. There are a lot of terrorist out that planning to kill african americans. I'm sure you've heard of the ku klux klan?

But its increasing rapidly in the uk.
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 09, 2014
You're on point OP. Not only UK, all other western countries included. I just feel for illegals sad God dey for them shaa.

I thank God for my life, I can basically do (doing some already) everything up there. I can't imagine myself in that position, chai life's gonna be horrible.
Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by cupidhero(m): 11:13am On Dec 09, 2014
marieolae:
sorry, is that america?

Yeah in terms of racism, america is terrible. There are a lot of terrorist out that planning to kill african americans. I'm sure you've heard of the ku klux klan?

But its increasing rapidly in the uk.
KKK the white supremacist cult,they are the devil's offspring,they hate blacks and sometimes hispanics and they forgot americans are occupying a land formerly owned by the red indians. we are still recovering from the zimmerman case and then they shot mike brown and labelled him a thug. Racism is everywhere,it starts with a simple hate and then grow into something else. regular visitors to NL's politics section are potential racist,some will lie about it but deep down we know they now see another tribe as money lovers,baby factory owners,terrorists,etc. Religion is not even helping matters too. But the blacks have their own cults tho,Black panthers is an example even tho they are not evil like KKK.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? by ennon92(m): 9:04pm On Dec 09, 2014
politricks:
@least u get paid wit valued pounds after washing toilet. Re there no toilet washers in naija that receives peanuts?

If u see d@ opportunity u no go grab am?
Noborry shuld negatively quote me o

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See Beautiful Pictures Of Underwater Restaurant In The Indian Ocean / My Exodus And Life In The U.S / Moving To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.