Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,472 members, 7,819,719 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. (11854 Views)

US To Send Soldiers To Nigeria: New York Times / Nigerian Female Soldier Heads To Mali (pic) / US To Send Soldiers To Tackle Boko-Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Bawss1(m): 9:09am On Jul 30, 2012
I am of the view that the menace of Islamic militants should be dealt with wherever it rears its head. Since this move to send troops to Mali is part of a regional effort and not a solo act by Nigeria it should be encouraged. It is sickening to see people use their own version of a religion to cause trouble for others.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Delafruita(m): 9:11am On Jul 30, 2012
4llerbuntu: There are times i wonder why some pple deem it fit to defend this political class at ALL TIMES AND AT ALL COSTS.
But i'm sure you pple do know that there are a few times when the decision jonathan administration makes will be wrong? as in you do comprehend that its is actually possible for the govt of the day to make mistakes and do wrong?

?

where and how does it ever make sense for a country struggling to deal with insurgency within its own borders to send its troops to go fight insurgency in another country?

This was the same way he ran his mouth during the Libya issue, and presto most of the illegal arms that got out of libya found their way to nigeria, along with ready fools to use them and train others.

now you are going to mali, your soldiers will be soldiers there and commit a few crimes. you add some more disgruntled fanatics into the Nigeria haters mix. For a country with little or no security, no borders and no political will, THIS IS A VERY STOOPID DECISION
not everybody deems it fit to defend the political class at all cost just as its shouldnt become a pasttime to criticise every move of government.
it will smack of total deriliction of duty and commitment for nigeria to tie its troops down in the barracks playing draft and passing BRT lane when the could be of better use elsewhere.nigeria might be a dysfunctional nation but it is a dysfunctional nation that some others look to for succour.we have always sent troops out to help in sierra leone,liberia,sudan,somalia,etc.infact thats one thing our government excels at.obasanjo gave sao tome and principe $300million to aid their economic woes,yaradua sent troops to sudan,goodluck should send troops to mali.

3 Likes

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Delafruita(m): 9:11am On Jul 30, 2012
4llerbuntu: There are times i wonder why some pple deem it fit to defend this political class at ALL TIMES AND AT ALL COSTS.
But i'm sure you pple do know that there are a few times when the decision jonathan administration makes will be wrong? as in you do comprehend that its is actually possible for the govt of the day to make mistakes and do wrong?

?

where and how does it ever make sense for a country struggling to deal with insurgency within its own borders to send its troops to go fight insurgency in another country?

This was the same way he ran his mouth during the Libya issue, and presto most of the illegal arms that got out of libya found their way to nigeria, along with ready fools to use them and train others.

now you are going to mali, your soldiers will be soldiers there and commit a few crimes. you add some more disgruntled fanatics into the Nigeria haters mix. For a country with little or no security, no borders and no political will, THIS IS A VERY STOOPID DECISION
not everybody deems it fit to defend the political class at all cost just as its shouldnt become a pasttime to criticise every move of government.
it will smack of total deriliction of duty and commitment for nigeria to tie its troops down in the barracks playing draft and passing BRT lane when the could be of better use elsewhere.nigeria might be a dysfunctional nation but it is a dysfunctional nation that some others look to for succour.we have always sent troops out to help in sierra leone,liberia,sudan,somalia,etc.infact thats one thing our government excels at.obasanjo gave sao tome and principe $300million to aid their economic woes,yaradua sent troops to sudan,goodluck should send troops to mali.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by tollu: 9:12am On Jul 30, 2012
Oloriburuku yii o sha ni kpa wa.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 30, 2012
haka_nai:

^^^^^When they terrorist change there attitude to cut off the head before killing the body.When we become top agenda/target.I mean look at a nation like USA.There spear heading the campaign against extremism puts them as the most wanted on the terrorist list.So is Nigeria strong or advanced enough going by there failure to curb even Boko-haram,to shoulder the repercussions of Al-qaida and many more unknown terrorist affiliates in Africa.In a case they see us as a key regional treat to there goals and shift emphasis to crippling the nation.lastly this are french speaking nations and not our best of buddies at the most.Let France get a proxy of there own in the west African region and motivate them to assist.Abi directly get involved.
Its two things i see.Either we keep away and prepare to re-enforce ourselves or go on the offensive all out.That includes hitting them anywhere in Africa.We may suffer at the beginning but later we could pick-up.So there is no in between.All out or stay away and anticipate our problems.

I get your point, but it is the job of a leader to think strategically. It serves no one's interest to allow al-Qaeda get more than a foothold in West Africa. Don't forget that President Jonathan by virtue of his position has access to information we don't. It is very probable that attacking the Islamist rebels in Mali may actually help weaken Boko Haram, because terrorist organizations have been known to work together.

As for our capability to deal with the threat, we may well convince advanced nations like the US and France to supply technical assistance because it is in their interest to do so. After all, they have business interests in West Africa, and they should also work to protect those interests.

It's a game of enlightened self-interest, after all.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by slimdiggi: 9:13am On Jul 30, 2012
ekt_bear: A fire is burning down your house, and so your rush to get water for your neighbor's home

Na wa oo
its like you took d tot straight out of my head!
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Bolarge1(m): 9:14am On Jul 30, 2012
WE HAVE NOT REMOVED THE SPECK IN OUR EYES BUT INTERESTED IN OTHERS. NA WA O!

FG SHOULD NOT CELEBRATE PEACE NOW REALIZING THAT THE BOKO HARAM ARE SILENT NOW BECOS OF MUSLIM FASTING THAT IS ONGOING.

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 30, 2012
Let us look beyond the issue of GEJ here... How far is Mali from Sokoto or Maiduguri? During the Libyan crises and eventual war, I postulated that the fallout would be a stronger boko haram because they would easily acquire most of those loose weaponry on the streets of Benghazi and tripoli and now what do we have? A boko haram that has a sophisticated amount that sends our police to the loo! The ripple effect of this idiots in Mali cannot and shouldn't be overlooked. If they succeed, then nothing stops them from sending fighters to support the boko bastards. Let's see this move as an extension of the fight against the haramists. Cut of their support and leave them isolated in Nigeria and then rout them. If we could even send soldiers to bomb them out in chad and Niger, I would welcome it totally

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Dujardin(m): 9:16am On Jul 30, 2012
Abegi mak una free d mumu govt. o, shey dem no go prepare place 4 Nigerians 2 stay wen BHaram takes over ni?
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 30, 2012
HNosegbe: Actually I support the deployment of troops to Mali. Nigeria is a regional power, and as such she has a responsibility to ensure regional security. Insecurity in countries across our borders, if not contained early, is likely to lead to an exodus of refugees to other countries, Nigeria inclusive.

Besides, a sensible government can use such intervention for its advantage e.g by securing better trade deals, access to resources etc. Sensible Western governments do this all the time, why can't we?

People like you are very scarce in this section. Please tell them again abeg.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 30, 2012
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 30, 2012
Moreover, let these soldiers go and actually work Jare! And not stay idle in their barracks chasing women and frog marching innocent civillians grin make dem go meet their mates Jare!

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 30, 2012
It's why America had to be in Aghanistan- you fight the islamists that can hurt you whereever they may be. Malian islamists are a threat to WAfrica and just cannot be ignored. We have enough military personnel for it.
BH fight doesn't need more soldiers, state police or even islamic is what's needed. These states that rushed to impose sharia should sort out their shit. GEJ is being foolish being against state police.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Freiburger(m): 9:26am On Jul 30, 2012
Only a fool will try to cover someone else a-ss what his own a-ss is opned for every to see. undecided undecided
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by uzoma123(m): 9:26am On Jul 30, 2012
Why is it dat issue abt govt policy attract uninformed comments frm useless opposition parties nd ppl? Dnt u ppl knw dat BH has base in Countries like Mali. D govt is trying 2 deal with external wing of BH. These opposition fools shld get demselves updated abt governance b4 running to d press.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Kobojunkie: 9:29am On Jul 30, 2012
jerseyboy: You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Matthew 7:5

This speck is coming for you right where you are. It may seem to be in your brother's eye right now but if you do not help him fight it now, it will land right in front of your day in no time at all. You just wait or fight it now.
You think what we have is the worst? Wait till the ones in Mali, Algeria, Niger, gain strength enough to provide serious backing for the menace in Nigeria today, then you will see why these monsters need to be stopped at all cost, especially for the sake of the Christians part of the population.

P.S Look up the definition of the word hypocrite please. I think a whole lot of you use the word without understanding what it means and how it ought to be applied.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by GODSLOVE2(f): 9:31am On Jul 30, 2012
ALL WAT I WILL SAY,,GOD DEY,,,GOD HELP US,,,,,,,,,WHEN THIS PEOPLE COMES TO FIGHT US NA OUR PRESIDENT GO RUN,NA INNOCENT ONES GO DIE,,,,GEJ NEVA COMMOT WETIN DEY E EYE NA ANODA PERSON OWN E WON COMMOT,,,PLS EVERYONE SHOULD HIDE UNDER THE SHIELD OF GOD OHHHHH,,THIS IS REALLY END TIME
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by naptu2: 9:36am On Jul 30, 2012
[size=14pt]Dozens of Boko Haram help Mali’s rebel seize Gao[/size]

April 9, 2012 | 10:12 pm

News

BAMAKO (AFP) – Among the rebels controlling Mali’s northern city of Gao are dozens of Nigeria’s Islamist Boko Haram group, a regional deputy told AFP on Monday, while a security source confirmed the information.

“There are a good 100 Boko Haram fighters in Gao. They are Nigerians and from Niger,” said Abu Sidibe, a regional deputy. “They’re not hiding. Some are even able to speak in the local tongue, explaining that they are Boko Haram.”

Militants from Boko Haram “were in a majority among those who attacked the Algerian consulate” in Gao on Thursday, a Malian security official said, adding that “they had black skin”.

Seven Algerian diplomats, including the consul, were taken hostage at the time.

Witnesses interviewed by telephone from Bamako said members of Boko Haram were later seen openly driving the kidnapped consul’s car.

The kidnapping was claimed in a statement on Sunday by an Al-Qaeda dissident group, the Movement for Unity and Jihad in West Africa (MUJAO).

MUJAO is said to have broken off from the main group, Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), in order to spread jihad to west Africa rather than confine themselves just to the Maghreb or Sahel regions.

Boko Haram, which has also kidnapped westerners in Nigeria, has been blamed for a series of attacks over Easter weekend in northern Nigeria that left at least 45 dead.

Mokhtar Belmokhtar, one of the leaders of AQIM, was also spotted over the weekend in Gao, witnesses said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/dozens-of-boko-haram-help-malis-rebel-seize-gao/

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Hydy(m): 9:37am On Jul 30, 2012
..I know how much we all love to oppose GEJ, but the truth is..if we don't jointly fight these terrorists anywhere they emanate from(even in neighbouring countries), very soon they'll form a network and formidable branches all over west Africa, and by then we will all be in BIG trouble#
If Mali is evidently losing the battle against these blood thirsty terrorists, it's not wrong for GEJ to consider sending a little army(if we can afford it) alongside soldiers from the other countries to help out. I may be wrong, but I think that's one reason why we have international organisations like ECOWAS and so on.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 30, 2012
naptu2: [size=14pt]Dozens of Boko Haram help Mali’s rebel seize Gao[/size]

April 9, 2012 | 10:12 pm

News

BAMAKO (AFP) – Among the rebels controlling Mali’s northern city of Gao are dozens of Nigeria’s Islamist Boko Haram group, a regional deputy told AFP on Monday, while a security source confirmed the information.

“There are a good 100 Boko Haram fighters in Gao. They are Nigerians and from Niger,” said Abu Sidibe, a regional deputy. “They’re not hiding. Some are even able to speak in the local tongue, explaining that they are Boko Haram.”

Militants from Boko Haram “were in a majority among those who attacked the Algerian consulate” in Gao on Thursday, a Malian security official said, adding that “they had black skin”.

Seven Algerian diplomats, including the consul, were taken hostage at the time.

Witnesses interviewed by telephone from Bamako said members of Boko Haram were later seen openly driving the kidnapped consul’s car.

The kidnapping was claimed in a statement on Sunday by an Al-Qaeda dissident group, the Movement for Unity and Jihad in West Africa (MUJAO).

MUJAO is said to have broken off from the main group, Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), in order to spread jihad to west Africa rather than confine themselves just to the Maghreb or Sahel regions.

Boko Haram, which has also kidnapped westerners in Nigeria, has been blamed for a series of attacks over Easter weekend in northern Nigeria that left at least 45 dead.

Mokhtar Belmokhtar, one of the leaders of AQIM, was also spotted over the weekend in Gao, witnesses said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/dozens-of-boko-haram-help-malis-rebel-seize-gao/
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 30, 2012
See me see trouble oooo. We still have boko haram and GEJ is sending soldiers to mali, who will fund them? GEJ no de fall my hand naaa.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Jungleprince1(m): 9:50am On Jul 30, 2012
Naija don start ooo
as he finish with our
own bokoaram?
Fire dey burn person house
him leave am dey
wipe anoda man eye
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Kobojunkie: 9:52am On Jul 30, 2012
gboss4sure: See me see trouble oooo. We still have boko haram and GEJ is sending soldiers to mali, who will fund them? GEJ no de fall my hand naaa.

Think of it this way. Since we are having a hard time deciding on whether to deal with the one at home or not, at least make we make sure say reinforcement no possible for these terrorists. The Mali fights are worse than what we have already, that is the way I see it.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by naptu2: 10:00am On Jul 30, 2012
In the 1990s Osama Bin Ladin operated out of Sudan until the US and its allies made it very difficult for him to do that. He moved to Afghanistan.

The US and its allies have made it difficult for islamic extremists to operate out of the middle east and south asia. The extremist are now making western africa (Algeria - Cameroun) their new headquarters. There are certain conditions in this area that make it ideal for them.

1) Ethnic, political and religious division: These divisions make it very easy for the militants to operate, while the various groups blame each other (eg in Nigeria, North vs South, East vs West, Christian vs Muslim, Buhari vs Gej, etc). This was the same situation in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan, until the "tribes" realised that the islamic extremists are worse than their opposing tribe and also worse than the US. I pray it doesn't take us too long to figure this out. Boko Haram, if given the chance, will happily kill the sultan, buhari, GEJ, Babangida and Oritsejafor.

2) Corruption: Throw 50 naira or a hundred naira to a policeman and he would happily allow a bomb laden vehicle pass through a check point without inspecting it. Nuff said.

3) Poverty and disillusionment: It's easy for the groups to project themselves as heroes fighting against government, the US, etc. Until the people get to have a feel of the ideology/philosophy of the militants. By then it's too late.

4) Lack of technological sophistication and intellectual capacity to confront the militants.

The solution is unity. We need to unite to confront them. That's why I believe that we need to reactivate Ecomog.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by inereunwa1(m): 10:04am On Jul 30, 2012
You see the kind govt we get for naija oversabi na so them take follow SOUTH AFRICA fight arphetied but today na so SOUTH AFRICA govt dey drive Nigerian out of their country now na MALI oh God nawa for this country sha
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by sulex947(m): 10:16am On Jul 30, 2012
Acidosis:

shut up oga. if boko haram is so strong as you think, then why are they hiding? why cant they come out and face Nigerian army somewhere in an open space.

@op, but sometimes I wonder why Islam is such a devilish religion.
is because u so daft dat u fail to know d real sponsor of boko haram, step out of ur room and get educated.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by NovusHomo(m): 10:18am On Jul 30, 2012
I do not believe there will be a coup.That is over, and the USA will not back such action. GEJ will be removed according to the Constitution (impeachment?, incapacitation?, death?). However, should there be any rascally behavior from any (read particular) section of the country, the Armed Forces are henceforth put on the alert.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Booty4me: 10:22am On Jul 30, 2012
Chai.. GEJ Don High o. Abeg mod joke section
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by gbadexy(m): 10:23am On Jul 30, 2012
Abeg make all these opposition parties go siddon.
Would the amount of soldiers sent to mali make any impact on the number of soldiers we have? Considering that other countries would contribute too. Even if nigeria sends the largest amount out of the 3300 troops, there are still more than surplus troops idling away.
It makes sense to take proactive steps to nip the crisis in the bud so that it doesn't spill over to northern nigeria
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by akin33(m): 10:23am On Jul 30, 2012
Calm down folks, i appreciate ur braveness. U need 2 understand that d terrorist have stronghold in Mali, Pakistan Afgha etc. Mali happen to fall 2 west Africa where boko boys are having their shied. By d time our soldiers invade their stronghold, the frequent attack in d north will stop. I wnt everyone to reason like that.
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by Kassidy90(m): 10:35am On Jul 30, 2012
Acidosis:

shut up oga. if boko haram is so strong as you think, then why are they hiding? why cant they come out and face Nigerian army somewhere in an open space.

@op, but sometimes I wonder why Islam is such a devilish religion.
..................mtcheeeew
Re: GEJ To Send Soldiers To Mali To Fight Islamist. by buJu234: 10:36am On Jul 30, 2012
why are we going to look for trouble sef eh?

Those guys in Mali have their head office in Afghanistan....

even the US cant even over come those islamic militant...

we are willingly inviting trouble sef... eh

if those boys add their own to the Boko boys; are u sure this Nigeria will b safe.

Those guys can blow down an airport all in the name of Allah...

GEJ please dont go and bring calamity upon innocent people...

small Boko boys; all Nigerian millitary plus SSS cant even overcome them and u want to add the Mali islamists that were
trainned by Gaddaffi and Osama bin ladin...

WHY WHY WHY embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

New Videos Of Lekki Massacre Emerges (graphic) / Enugu Commences Rehabilitation Of 9th Mile Crash Programme With Solar Boreholes / Hajo Sarki-Bello Appointed As Supreme Court's New Chief Registrar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.