Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,336 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

You Don't Look African - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / You Don't Look African (3727 Views)

If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / Prince Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi: Things You Don't Know About The New Ooni Of Ife / You Don't Look African? What's Do You Think Of It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Don't Look African by Joliecoco: 6:00am On Jul 31, 2012
People usually assume that my mom and I are from the island ,and they are shocked when we say that we are African. I had this white guy argued with me about my ethnicity base on my futures. He climbed that I was mix with Asian and French which I thought was absurb cause I am 100% African . Anybody face similar stituation abroad?
Re: You Don't Look African by tpia5: 6:10am On Jul 31, 2012
no.

just go ahead and share your own experiences.

they sound interesting.
Re: You Don't Look African by Chanchit: 6:25am On Jul 31, 2012
You should have include your pix, so we would knw, if you really don't look lika an anfrican....
Re: You Don't Look African by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 31, 2012
Re: You Don't Look African by PhysicsQED(m): 7:49am On Jul 31, 2012
undecided
Re: You Don't Look African by PhysicsQED(m): 7:49am On Jul 31, 2012
Re: You Don't Look African by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 31, 2012
lmao....i get that a lot too...
some AA ppl will even ask me how come i'm this light skin....like seriously dude, WTF?! (I'm not even that light skinned ooo)
when i was a freshman, i used to feel d need to answer politely and educationally
Now ehn, my eyes and my attitude does the talking for me......awon olodo!
Re: You Don't Look African by Ptolomeus(m): 4:23pm On Jul 31, 2012
Very beautiful reception of African brothers!
Dear friend ... appearances do not define people.
Skin color is the result of circumstances that are foreign to us. There are black and white, who curse their origins.
Each of us is what it is.
I'm not black, but my great-grandmother was black slave.
I feel my African roots ...
I congratulate you on your pride!.
And the dear brothers in the forum, I congratulate them for their hospitality.
Please accept my warm greetings all!
Re: You Don't Look African by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 04, 2012
Ptolomeus: Very beautiful reception of African brothers!
Dear friend ... appearances do not define people.
Skin color is the result of circumstances that are foreign to us. There are black and white, who curse their origins.
Each of us is what it is.
I'm not black, but my great-grandmother was black slave.
I feel my African roots ...
I congratulate you on your pride!.
And the dear brothers in the forum, I congratulate them for their hospitality.
Please accept my warm greetings all!

Re: You Don't Look African by MrsChima(f): 7:29pm On Aug 04, 2012
Sis get out my mind!!!!!
Re: You Don't Look African by somalia1: 8:52am On Sep 08, 2012
People look at me and say am not from africa. I tell them am from somalia and somalia is in africa. They think am from india. lmao

Why do people think that being from africa means you have to have a wide nose, big thick lips, nappy hair, mascular, very short. undecided
Re: You Don't Look African by Tolaaaaannni(f): 9:05pm On Sep 08, 2012
Wow op !! Congrats on not looking african!. Ok im going to say this with all seriousness, I don't get why people feel the

need to make a post on how "unafrican" they are in a way. I mean why do we need to know about you not looking african? I

don't mean to be rude but some threads are just unnecessary. come to think of it, what exactly is the concrete african

look?? Looking "Unafrican" should not be such an issue, considering that the continent africa is very diverse, and filled

with people that have different looks, facial features, and different skin tones. Yes its true, we face different

experiences abroad with people curious about our identity but its really nothing to dwell on because its part of daily

life. Foreign people will always be curious if they are discombobulated.

2 Likes

Re: You Don't Look African by Blyss: 11:57pm On Sep 08, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: Wow op !! Congrats on not looking african!. Ok im going to say this with all seriousness, I don't get why people feel the

need to make a post on how "unafrican" they are in a way. I mean why do we need to know about you not looking african? I

don't mean to be rude but some threads are just unnecessary. come to think of it, what exactly is the concrete african

look?? Looking "Unafrican" should not be such an issue, considering that the continent africa is very diverse, and filled

with people that have different looks, facial features, and different skin tones. Yes its true, we face different

experiences abroad with people curious about our identity but its really nothing to dwell on because its part of daily

life. Foreign people will always be curious if they are discombobulated.

You sound like a hater to me. Just saying. undecided
Re: You Don't Look African by Tolaaaaannni(f): 12:27am On Sep 09, 2012
Blyss:

You sound like a hater to me. Just saying. undecided

I had rather voice out my opinion, than sugar coat it in order to blend in with the crowd. If that makes me look/sound

like an hater, well let me just say I could care less. undecided
Re: You Don't Look African by Blyss: 2:12am On Sep 09, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

I had rather voice out my opinion, than sugar coat it in order to blend in with the crowd. If that makes me look/sound

like an hater, well let me just say I could care less. undecided

Your opinion was clearly based on inferiority complexional feelings. smiley
Re: You Don't Look African by somalia1: 7:55am On Sep 09, 2012
African look is very ugly. Why you think non africans look at ETHIPIANS, SOMALIS, ERITREANS, as the best looking on the aids invested continent.

WEST AFRICA= WHERE THE WORLD GETS ITS SLAVES.
Re: You Don't Look African by Tolaaaaannni(f): 11:29pm On Sep 09, 2012
Blyss:

Your opinion was clearly based on inferiority complexional feelings. smiley

Really? Please go into more details about my so called "Inferiority complex" I want to know. It's rather fascinating when

people think they know you more than you know yourself just by one post. So please go ahead and explain, the floor is

all yours. I am really.... eager to read your next reply. smiley
Re: You Don't Look African by Blyss: 3:34am On Sep 10, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Really? Please go into more details about my so called "Inferiority complex" I want to know. It's rather fascinating when

people think they know you more than you know yourself just by one post. So please go ahead and explain, the floor is

all yours. I am really.... eager to read your next reply. smiley

It's simple; people have posted that they've gotten the "you don't look African" statement from various Black-Americans and some Caribbean folks before, and for some odd reason (infariority complex) you've taken offence to these people stating that they have such an integrating appearence about themselves. cheesy In your mind you've taken their experience as an offence because you consciously have mentally taken in the atypical homegrown multi-mixtured look, commonly found among the diaspora as a look superior to that of what you know to be that of the average African.

So for those Africans in which have this typical diaspora look, you take their stories of Black-Americans and other Diaspora groups recognizing their similarity to them/us as an offhanded form of bragging and or sign of that they must feel as though they are better than you and other Africans who lack such an appearance. If not the case, for what other reason would you bother attacking them for simply stating that they have a look noticeably common to that of many Black-Americans and or Caribbean folks?

1 Like

Re: You Don't Look African by Tolaaaaannni(f): 9:55pm On Sep 10, 2012
Blyss:

It's simple; people have posted that they've gotten the "you don't look African" statement from various Black-Americans and some Caribbean folks before, and for some odd reason (infariority complex) you've taken offence to these people stating that they have such an integrating appearence about themselves. cheesy In your mind you've taken their experience as an offence because you consciously have mentally taken in the atypical homegrown multi-mixtured look, commonly found among the diaspora as a look superior to that of what you know to be that of the average African.

So for those Africans in which have this typical diaspora look, you take their stories of Black-Americans and other Diaspora groups recognizing their similarity to them/us as an offhanded form of bragging and or sign of that they must feel as though they are better than you and other Africans who lack such an appearance. If not the case, for what other reason would you bother attacking them for simply stating that they have a look noticeably common to that of many Black-Americans and or Caribbean folks?

And you got this all from one post?? LOL. Reading this made me laugh. Its like saying something to someone and

another person comes along and act like they know your entire life story just by what you said. Please point out where

in my post that I mentioned that having a "multi mixtured" look means superiority?? And where did I bother the op about

looking like someone from another black nation. See now judging by your post I can already tell that you failed

english, because its like you are simply looking at a picture that isn't there. Your comprehension skills is very low,

i suggest you go develop it. If you were wondering, the point of my post was that the thread was very unnecessary and

their are some things that people shouldn't make a post about. Especially this topic which has been made by various

posters. And [size=14pt]NO[/size] Mr. deficient "Internet philospher" Its not that I have an inferiority complex, neither was it that

I was telling the author that he looks superior. It was mainly that the thread was Unnecessary.
Re: You Don't Look African by Blyss: 11:03pm On Sep 10, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

And you got this all from one post?? LOL. Reading this made me laugh. Its like saying something to someone and

another person comes along and act like they know your entire life story just by what you said. Please point out where

in my post that I mentioned that having a "multi mixtured" look means superiority?? And where did I bother the op about

looking like someone from another black nation. See now judging by your post I can already tell that you failed

english, because its like you are simply looking at a picture that isn't there. Your comprehension skills is very low,

i suggest you go develop it. If you were wondering, the point of my post was that the thread was very unnecessary and

their are some things that people shouldn't make a post about. Especially this topic which has been made by various

posters. And [size=14pt]NO[/size] Mr. deficient "Internet philospher" Its not that I have an inferiority complex, neither was it that

I was telling the author that he looks superior. It was mainly that the thread was Unnecessary.

Humm, sounds like sour grapes to me. Why are you hating on folks for? You should be happy with the looks god has given you.
Re: You Don't Look African by MrsChima1(f): 11:08pm On Sep 10, 2012
I didn't know Africans had a specific look.

A nose look like a nose.
A foot look like a foot.
A teeth look like a teeth.
A dick look like a dick.
A finger look like a finger.

I have heard Africans and non-Africans say some of the most ignorant shit.
Re: You Don't Look African by Tolaaaaannni(f): 11:25pm On Sep 10, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

A nose look like a nose.
A foot look like a foot.
A dick look like a dick.

Ikr... Well what do i know, Im just a hater, according to some people. undecided
Re: You Don't Look African by Blyss: 11:25pm On Sep 10, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

A nose look like a nose.
A foot look like a foot.
A dick look like a dick.

stop acting oblivious. You damn well if you saw this dude out on the street you instantly would be able to tell that he was African.

Re: You Don't Look African by Tolaaaaannni(f): 11:28pm On Sep 10, 2012
Blyss:

Humm, sounds like sour grapes to me. Why are you hating on folks for? You should be happy with the looks god has given you.

I will love to answer that question but I just don't have an answer to that question. I simply tell people what my

opinion is, I don't hate. And who said I wasn't happy with my looks?? Where in the world did you get that from? I hate

to be superficial but I must say my parents did an awesome job with a little help from Baba God.
Re: You Don't Look African by MrsChima(f): 12:53am On Sep 11, 2012
Blyss:

stop acting oblivious. You damn well if you saw this dude out on the street you instantly would be able to tell that he was African.

Please tell me what African about him and how I can tell he is African just by looking at him kony...mandingo...morpheus....darapture

1 Like

Re: You Don't Look African by Nobody: 12:59am On Sep 11, 2012
Blyss:

I see many Non-Africans that looks like him everyday. Yea, what makes him look "African"?
Re: You Don't Look African by Blyss: 1:07am On Sep 11, 2012
LOL, ok you girls are a trip. cheesy Why even attempt to deny the obvious?
Re: You Don't Look African by Nobody: 2:02am On Sep 11, 2012
Blyss:

Just like I would know this Afar man is African....

Mind you THEY DON'T look alike.
Re: You Don't Look African by Nobody: 2:05am On Sep 11, 2012
fck it. angry
Re: You Don't Look African by TerryCarr(m): 2:07am On Sep 11, 2012
in some parts of America they say you look Haitian if your dark lipsrsealed
Re: You Don't Look African by TerryCarr(m): 2:12am On Sep 11, 2012
Blyss:

or any other black person undecided
Re: You Don't Look African by MrsChima1(f): 2:31am On Sep 11, 2012
Blyss: LOL, ok you girls are a trip. cheesy Why even attempt to deny the obvious?
you

You are a fool and dense as hell. What is a typical "African" look? I am being serious because you can't be this fucking dense to say that you can tell someone is African by simply looking at them.

Africa is a continent that has over 30 countries and five regions. You can say that the person look like this tribe and that tribe simply by many factors not looks alone.

When you say "African"...I am like wtf are you talking about? That's just like someone saying Michelle Cho looks American and she is from Korea. undecided undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Letter Written By Slave To His Former Master In August 1865 / African American In Nigeria. / Crisis Brews In Onitsha, Nkwellezunka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.