Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:18 AM

African American In Nigeria. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African American In Nigeria. (3730 Views)

Igala Nigerian American In The NFL / I Hate Being An African American Woman / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

African American In Nigeria. by proudAkata(f): 6:32pm On Aug 06, 2009
Hi all! In December I hope to travel to Nigeria with a good friend of mine and her family. cheesy I am a bit nervous as I have read several threads here that seem pretty negative about the way some Nigerian people view African Americans. I don't like to generalize, nor do I like it when others do it. I would much rather judge a person as an individual rather than a whole set of people. Any how my friend is an Ibo (hope I spelled it correctly). Is there something in particular that I need to know about her particular culture OR Nigerians in general? I don't want to offend any one, you know? I'm just wondering, is there any thing any one would like to tell me? I love the cloths, but at times I think they may get offended or laugh at me if I dress up in them? My friend says no, but I thought I would get a second opinion.

It has been my life's dream ever since I was a child to visit my MOTHER land. I am an African American that has always been proud of my ancestors and has always seen the BEAUTY of Africa as a whole. Sorry for the ramble but I AM SO EXCITED!

PLEASE any advice or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!

I have attached a photo, she says I look like an Ibo. Is it true? I'm flattered! grin

Re: African American In Nigeria. by tamme: 7:22pm On Aug 06, 2009
smiley I am very sure you will enjoy your stay in Nigeria
Nigeria is beautiful . .Nigeria is a Magical Place filled with warm people. We love foreigners of any kind

You are going to Igboland? Make sure you re ready to eat kolanut(s)
Re: African American In Nigeria. by proudAkata(f): 7:44pm On Aug 06, 2009
Thanks for your message! I truly hope people try to get to know me instead of judging me on what other AA's do or have done. Even though there are some that think there is a minimal connection between us (West Africans) and African Americans, my bond is unbreakable and has always been. I strongly believe we are who we are because of where we come from. At this time I cannot pin point the exact place in the motherland where my people came from, but Nigeria is a good place to start my journey, I hope to meet wonderful people like you there!
Re: African American In Nigeria. by redsun(m): 8:35pm On Aug 06, 2009
If this is ur picture,u don't look any different from a regular nigerian girl(woman)you will blend easily into the system,the only give away will be ur ascent but it doesn't matter,the boys will lust for u big time.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by oyinda3(f): 8:37pm On Aug 06, 2009
yea u look nigerian so u definitely won't have any difficulty blending in
Re: African American In Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 06, 2009
you people really need to make up your minds whether you consider west Africans pretty or ugly.

On one hand you have some AAs saying they want to commit suicide because they have west African features, while at the other end of the pole some others are saying they're flattered to be considered west African. Yet others are busy raining curses and insulting all the Africans they see.

anyway, visit Nigeria first before ululating.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by platinumnk(f): 8:38pm On Aug 06, 2009
I thought she was nigerian. . .

make sure u carry a big stick to beat the guys off,  igbos are known for their flattery grin

Welcome to Igboland! Heading towards ImoState?

Girl- Bring a battery powerd fan with u, and bug spray grin
Re: African American In Nigeria. by SeanT21(f): 8:39pm On Aug 06, 2009
Have fun in the motherland. wink

Where in Nigeria r u going??
Re: African American In Nigeria. by morpheus24: 8:40pm On Aug 06, 2009
@proudly Akata

You will enjoy yourself. don't worry. Nigerians are a very warm people to visitors and asyou are coming with yor friend, this will make the transition a lot more easier for you.
My advise

Be very respectful to your elders. Africans in general like this attribute.

Do not not stare people directly in the face when talking to them. It is the opposite as practised in teh US and could be deemed as intimidating. This does not mean you should be shy around people. Speak your mind all the time.

You will notice Nigerians could be loud at times. Please do not mistake this for aggression. It is simply a manner they are accustomed to in expressing themselves.

Accept any gift given to you even if you don't like it. Just chuck it away later if you din't.

Your friend was right you could pass for an Igbo or Delta girl so you will blend in just fine.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 06, 2009
Flattery or promiscuity? grin

@Omo Akata
You'll enjoy it, just don't go disrespecting their culture.
That's where you'll have problem, esp with the women
Re: African American In Nigeria. by C2H5OH(f): 8:45pm On Aug 06, 2009
Go to SA you wiull have a much easier time fitting in there.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by morpheus24: 8:47pm On Aug 06, 2009
C2H5OH:

Go to SA you wiull have a much easier time fitting in there.

SA is another America.

you will not feel the difference.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by redsun(m): 8:48pm On Aug 06, 2009
Dark skin is exotic,anybody that does not appreciate that must be kind of wacko like jacko.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by C2H5OH(f): 8:48pm On Aug 06, 2009
morpheus24:

SA is another America.

you will not feel the difference.
pahaha that's right
Re: African American In Nigeria. by platinumnk(f): 8:53pm On Aug 06, 2009
FL Gators:

Flattery or promiscuity? grin

hah- both oh! grin *one leads to the oda grin
especially when u get to the market or bikepark, u see guys that just make your mouths wada tongue grin

Have fun, try an okada grin
buy some attire so u can show off when u come back.

mann, im getting jealous embarassed
Re: African American In Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 06, 2009
redsun:

Dark skin is exotic,anybody that does not appreciate that must be kind of wacko like jacko.
Wrong thread, buddy

platinumnk:

hah- both oh! grin *one leads to the oda grin
especially when u get to the market or bikepark, u see guys that just make your mouths wada tongue grin

Have fun, try an okada grin
buy some attire so u can show off when u come back.

mann, im getting jealous embarassed
I hate going to the market. I seriously can't go alone.
It's like Naija men are trying to abush and take a grab. . . .
Re: African American In Nigeria. by redsun(m): 9:02pm On Aug 06, 2009
FL Gators:

Wrong thread, buddy

What do mean by wrong thread?did u read Tpia's comment?
Re: African American In Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 06, 2009
redsun:

were you responding to my comment?

anyway, the one that wanted to die said her[b] features[/b] were west African.

Not only the skin color.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 06, 2009
redsun:

Did you understand her comment?
I don't think so
Re: African American In Nigeria. by redsun(m): 9:13pm On Aug 06, 2009
People with low self-esteem hates themselves.

Micheal with all his talent,fame and money was short of being himself,very sad.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by proudAkata(f): 9:18pm On Aug 06, 2009
Hi thanks to all replies!

I would never disrespect my elders! In our community (most of us) we don't tolerate that either! I have so much respect for them I couldn't even think of such a thing. Thanks for advising me!

As for the one that says some of "us" hate our features, I feel sorry for them, I have never had that problem. I feel I am beautiful just the way the Motherland made me.

As for shopping, my friend said that I should bring around $1,000 USD but I am a big time shopper, will that due?
Re: African American In Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 06, 2009
I'd suggest around $5000 or more, if you can afford it. $1000 is not going to last a month
Re: African American In Nigeria. by redsun(m): 9:23pm On Aug 06, 2009
proudAkata:

I would never disrespect my elders! In our community (most of us) we don't tolerate that either! I have so much respect for them I couldn't even think of such a thing. Thanks for advising me!

As for the one that says some of "us" hate our features, I feel sorry for them, I have never had that problem. I feel I am beautiful just the way the Motherland made me.

As for shopping, my friend said that I should bring around $1,000 USD but I am a big time shopper, will that due?

Ride on girl,the world is urs.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by C2H5OH(f): 9:23pm On Aug 06, 2009
proudAkata:

Multiply that by 10 while you can.  The 1,000 dollars is chump change if you ask me.  This ain't ghana y'know.  Meanwhile, if you are lucky you might get wifed up by one kain mandingo over there so be prepared.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by proudAkata(f): 9:25pm On Aug 06, 2009
FL Gators:

I'd suggest around $5000 or more, if you can afford it. $1000 is not going to last a month

I know! That is what I was thinking. So I think that is what I will do.  I want to buy for my family and myself, a few cousins and aunts, I SO LOVE THE outfits. I think the head wraps are GORGEOUS!
Re: African American In Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 06, 2009
Yes thanks, we know our atires are gorgeous.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by platinumnk(f): 10:11pm On Aug 06, 2009
FL Gators:

Yes thanks, we know our atires are gorgeous.

yes ohh, i would wear attire to work if i could!

'proud- how long are u staying? When I came home I didnt spend much but I had everything, and of course I did spend some time in the village tongue

Make sure u have enough money to buy bottled water, I wasnt allowed to drink "pure" wata cheesy , u might get stomach problems.

Bring laxatives cheesy, you tummy may need to adjust undecided

@Gators- heheh the market boys aint worse than the okada boys, "madam madam!" - They will try to run u over with their bikes for a ride!

Dont forget to stop in a cafe or something and tell us how ure doing.
and coupled with your beauty, dont be surprised by a few ardent marriage proposals grin grin

you'll love it, Nigeria is very friendly to visitorswink
Re: African American In Nigeria. by morpheus24: 10:18pm On Aug 06, 2009
proudAkata:

Ah $2500 is enough. $5000 ke thats too much. depends on how long you are staying. If its only two weeks then $2k 5 is aright.
Re: African American In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 06, 2009
morpheus24:

Ah $2500 is enough. $5000 ke thats too much. depends on how long you are staying. If its only two weeks then $2k 5 is aright.
Hows that enough?
Is she not going to rent an hotel?
Spend in the mall?
Buy food? Water?
Entertainment nko?
Re: African American In Nigeria. by oyinda3(f): 11:02pm On Aug 06, 2009
morpheus24:

ah i was going to say the same
but i guess she should spend how much she wants/ can afford. 5000k is chicken change for some ppl

@gators, why hotel? i'd rather pay the friends' family to live with them than rent hotel. well i hope that's what she's going to do n if the friends family is nice, the won't charge lol
Re: African American In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:11pm On Aug 06, 2009
oyinda.:

ah i was going to say the same
but i guess she should spend how much she wants/ can afford. 5000k is chicken change for some ppl

@gators, why hotel? i'd rather pay the friends' family to live with them than rent hotel. well i hope that's what she's going to do n if the friends family is nice, the won't charge lol
Nice or no nice, they're strangers to her and she shouldn't be compromising her safety.
Just because the girl is nice does not mean they ain't no "evil" in her family.
And she could possibly be jeopardizing their safety too. You know how "big boys" love Americans (Visa).
Re: African American In Nigeria. by oyinda3(f): 11:35pm On Aug 06, 2009
i personally would find it safer to lodge with the native people i'm traveling with than by myself at a random hotel in a country i'm a stranger to. putting aside the unnecessary higher cost of living by urself and all the inconvenience.
what do you mean by "evil" in the family lol
and about the "big boys" i'm sure the whole family reside abroad since they are just visiting for christmas. so she's technically not the only american (visa) among them.

but i guess one man's meat is another man's poison

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Letter Written By Slave To His Former Master In August 1865 / Crisis Brews In Onitsha, Nkwellezunka / AUTHENTIC: Names And Titles Of The 32 New Ibadan Obas (SEE LIST)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.