Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,038 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? (42894 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Prestigious Alumni / 7 Nigerian Universities With The Strongest Alumni Bodies / List Of Universities In Ghana Accredited & Recognized In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 19, 2012
dayo23: Chai! Chai!chai!.....PROF GABRIEL OYINBO the World best MAthematician...Argument over! A.B.U ZARIA On point.
Gabriel Oyibo is another intellectual fraud like Emegwali. I should be proud of him, attending same secondary school, but hey.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 8:39am On Oct 19, 2012
Jarus:
Gabriel Oyibo is another intellectual fraud like Emegwali. I should be proud of him, attending same secondary school, but hey.
What do you mean by this statement. I'm surprised that someone like you will be make such an unsubstantiated accusation.

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by ACM10: 8:53am On Oct 19, 2012
Jarus:
Jarus, how is Emeagwali an intellectual fraud?
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by naturalwaves: 9:10am On Oct 19, 2012
Jarus:
Can you pls shed more light on this ambiguous statement of yours?

I see you have checked the net and you have read that report by Sahara reporters saying both of them are intellectual 419s simply based on the fact that Emeagwali claims to have 41 patents though unpublished and there is another report that Gabriel Onyibo was nominated 4 times for the nobel prize in Physics. The said reporter contacted the Organisers of the awards and was told that they do not reveal a list of the nominees and it is only after 50 years after the award that one can know who the nominees were . It was so glaring from the writer's report that he is so pained by the fact that Gabriel's image was put on Nigeria's postal stamp in 2005/2006. The jealous writer was even so angry at the way both great men are so so respected and honoured. It was purely beef instinct and jealousy.

Infact, how does those claims translate to being an intellectual fraud? An intellectual fraud should be when one steals other people's idea and claim to be one's while using such ideas to gain fame, promotion, respect, recognition etc and not when one does a mild hyping or ego boosting. It was a pity to see that you only read the article in a biased way. You couldn't even notice the degrading intents of the writer.

See, nothing can change the fact that both Phillip Emeagwali and Gabriel Oyibo are gifted and anointed scholars, two of the finests to ever emerge from this continent called Africa.

If I may ask, do you know that Prof. Oyinbo has proved that, BY THE DEFINITION OF AN ELEMENT, ONLY HYDROGEN DESERVES TO BE CALLED AN ELEMENT? Trust the whites, they know better now but they are so ashamed to say and admit that what they initially propounded was wrong.

#Let us learn to give honour to whom it is due#

Here is a link to the senseless article

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/article/intellectual-419-philip-emeagwali-and-gabriel-oyibo-compared

And here is a good response by a reader to the nonsense that was written;

Following the Emeagwali article in which Oyibo was mentioned, I had requested that SR produce evidence linking Prof Oyibo to intellectual fraud.
I had expected something in the nature of plagiarism, claims of nonexistent qualifications and publications etc. I am really shocked that Prof Oyibo has published so extensively. In an attempt to diminish the value of his intellectual achievements, you claim that though records show he has 104 publications, Zentrallblat and Nova Journal of Maths published about ten, and thus, the others were not in recognised journals!
You people really frightening! Prof Oyibo is a mathematician, and I am sure he could publish in other science journals apart from mathematics. Does that mean that those other journals are not recognised because they are not mathematical journals? Does it mean that those publications cease to be Oyibo's just because they appeared in non-mathematical journals?
You claimed Prof Oyibo is now jobless, but in one of the links you provided, you actually admit that he is now a Professor in a "minor" university! I am sure you know what it takes to establish a university. It may not be an Ivy League, but does that make it any less a university? Does that disqualify its academic staff from regarding their tenures as jobs? This is very disgraceful!
I am not surprised therefore that you guys at SR are having a herculean task producing such evidence to back your allegations that Oyibo is an intellectual fraud, because non exists.
If Prof Oyibo has health problems (psychiatric)as you subtely suggest, is it new? Is he the first academic to suffer such problems? What is your motive? what do you hope to achieve by trying to tarnis the guy's image? If you have an ax to grind with the man why not do so without trying to impugn his academic credentials or is this pure envy as I suspected from day one when SR published the Emeagwali article and mentioned Prof Oyibo?
Since when did it become a crime to make scientific claims? Claims had always been made and will continue to be made - such claims are either confirmed or debunked by subsequent research. I am not a scientist, but that is the whole essence of scholarship; that's how the frontiers of knowledge constsantly expands, boundaries are pushed, some times from seemingly "absurd" claims.
And did you say Professor Oyibo just made a new discovery?
NB: If you want your head on a Nigerian postage stamp then go make your own discoveries or outrageous claims too.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by oladayo042: 10:28am On Oct 19, 2012
Here is what I found online about Prof Gabriel Oyibo (not Onyibo) who seems to be the most 'popular' scientist/academic ABU students/alumni can boast of.

Mysteriously in 2002, there has appeared a hoax around the internet that Dr. Oyibo is a Nobel Prize Nominee (some of the writers call it the Nobel Peace Prize). THIS IS FALSE (akin to an acquaintance saying I ought to be nominated for the Nobel Prize)... A simple check would be to search whether anyone else has been told they nominated, and nominated in a period so close to the time of discovery of the research.

The previous paragraph was written in 2002. At the time of this writing, it is 2004 and the legend of repeaters of the hoax are growing. As I understand it from the OFAPPIT institute web site, Oyibo is the source. He claims he was nominated because he solved the Unified Field Theorem (http://groups.msn.com/Dr-GabrielOyibosGrandUnifiedFieldTheorem). THIS IS FALSE. Were this fact be true, there would be a hundred American Universities alone who would give him a tenured Full Professor position with no teaching and $200,000 salary. They would seek him out, not the reverse. Otherwise, someone of repute, would steal his work - this also appears not to have occured and is proof that Oyibo's work has not such high value.

anuary 10 2005: A few days ago there was a call for Oyibo to prove his GAGUT Theorem for Nigerian Professors of Mathematics. A few days later he responded with an equivalent of I don't need to prove my work is true, you need to show it is false. The reason for this absurd stature is his claim,"The Nigerian scientist also said a fellow Nigerian mathematician Alexander Animalu, as well as the American Mathematical Society and the European Mathematical Society had carried out extensive reviews on GAGUT without any problem."

Commentary January 12, 2005: I have searched for these so-called reviews, extremely easy to do online if you have a subscription to MathSciNet. The only so-called reviews I have found in Mathematics Reviews or in Zentrablat are autoreviews. These are mere summaries of content, not reviews.

It is not surprising Professor Oyibo has thrown the ball back in the Nigerian scientists court. This is a ploy which only works for the non-mathematics public, but mathematicians will trust him even less. If its costs are reasonable, a real mathematician never turns down an opportunity to prove your work. If the costs are unreasonable, then a real mathematician will say travel/housing expenses are the reason. But all we get is an equivalent of I don't need to prove my work is true, you need to show it is false. He can't defend a vacuum.

Apparently when Brooklyn Polytechnic failed to tenure Dr. Oyibo, he filed a racial discrimination suit. I have been told that, as part of Oyibo's settlement of the suit with Brooklyn Polytechnic, that university was to nominated him for a Nobel Prize; however, I been unable to get an independent verification.

Here is what can be called his real scientific achievement.
Recently Dr. Oyibo discovered a new hodograph technique for determining exact nonlinear two-dimensional unsteady and three dimensional flow. This discovery has already begun to change a century old scientific and mathematical perception that the hodograph tool was only useful for two-dimensional fluid flow problems. In evolving the Hodograph transformation concept into a practical design tool, Dr. Oyibo has been involved in extensive application of numerical methods and large computer programs utilizing the Cray supercomputer. This Cray experience has convinced Dr. Oyibo that the resulting design tool would potentially be a significant discovery. In fact, some 3-D aerodynamic shapes are now being evolved from this discovery which theoretically promises to make shock free flight at the speed of sound possible. This research is suggesting that the solutions of most mathematical physics equations can be found from group transformation theory, the core of my research. This theory hopefully can be used to solve the full Navier Stokes and Reynolds Averaged equations for turbulence in closed form.

http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/PEEPS/oyibo_gabriela.html
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by olawalebabs(m): 11:08am On Oct 19, 2012
Pls, lets not derail this thread,
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by yokiti: 11:26am On Oct 19, 2012
kozykid: Some of the distinguishe alumni from the university of first choice and nations pride (unilag) Wande Abimbola, Yoruba professor
Wale Adenuga, publisher/film producer
Francis Agu, actor
Omowunmi Akinnifesi, public relations
consultant
Bisi Alimi, gay rights activist[4]
Daré Art-Aladé, singer
Adewale Ayuba, singer
Regina Askia, actress former Miss
Unilag
Philip Begho, writer
Stella Damasus, actress
Ufuoma Ejenobor, model/actress
Grace Ekpiwhre, former minister
Chidi and Chika Nwaogu, founders of
LAGbook[5]
Eldee, rapper
Obiageli Ezekwesili, accountant
Kayode Fayemi, current Ekiti governor
Kate Henshaw-Nuttal, actress
Matilda Kerry, doctor
Oliver Mbamara, lawyer
Richard Mofe Damijo, actor
Tony Momoh, lawyer
Genevieve Nnaji, actress
Ramsey Nouah, actor
Chinenye Ochuba, former MBGN Left
before graduation
Bayo Ojo, lawyer
Ikedi Ohakim, former Imo governor
Afolabi Olabimtan, writer
Dele Olojede, journalist
Simbo Olorunfemi, writer/television
producer
Mike Omoighe, artist
Helen Ovbiagele, writer
Joke Silva, actress
Ganiyu Solomon, politician
Farida Mzamber Waziri, EFCC chairman
Kunlé Adeyem
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by yokiti: 11:30am On Oct 19, 2012
[quote author=kozykid]Some of the distinguishe alumni from the university of first choice and nations pride (unilag) Wande Abimbola, Yoruba professor
Wale Adenuga, publisher/film producer
Francis Agu, actor
Omowunmi Akinnifesi, public relations
consultant
Bisi Alimi, gay rights activist[4]
Daré Art-Aladé, singer
Adewale Ayuba, singer
Regina Askia, actress former Miss
Unilag
Philip Begho, writer
Stella Damasus, actress
Ufuoma Ejenobor, model/actress
Grace Ekpiwhre, former minister
Chidi and Chika Nwaogu, founders of
LAGbook[5]

Dont forget Dr. Daniel Kolawole Olukoya, general overseer MFM ministries worldwide; the only person to have graduated with 4.98 CGPA in Microbiology, had a distinction in his PhD. In Molecular genetics from University of Reading United Kingdom. Has over 70 scientific research publication before he took a break from it.

P.s all schools came be mentioned but none of them beat The premier University.......the first and the best University of IBADAN; the tutor of all schools in Nigeria and beyond!
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Unkl(m): 7:28am On Oct 20, 2012
Most alumni of ABU are politicians and any Tom, Dick and Harry can fall into that class in Nigeria, we are talking about people who hv distinguished themselves in their field of specialization and are recognized across the world for the values they hv added to learning, compare the list of UNN and ABU and u'll understand what I'm saying. As for smbody claiming that UI is a first generation I make bold to say that UNN is the first recognised University in Nigeria, UI was a university college and was subsequently giving the status of a full flegded university.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by auwal87(m): 2:00am On Oct 23, 2012
AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY ZARIA ALUMNI

Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, GCFR. Former President, Federal Republic of Nigeria
Namadi Sambo, current vice president,Federal Republic of Nigeria
Dahiru Musdapher, Current Chief Justice of Nigeria
Atiku Abubakar GCON, Former Vice President,Federal Republic of Nigeria
Oladipo Diya,GCON, Former Vice President/CGS, Federal Republic of Nigeria
Ghali Umar Na'Abba, Former Speaker, House of Representative, Nigeria
Sunday Awoniyi, Northern Yoruba Leader,Former Chairman ACF
Aminu Bello Masri, Former [speaker] House of Representatives
Usman Bayero Nafada, Former Deputy Speaker, House of Representatives
Ayodele Awojobi, Scientist and Professor at University of Lagos
Attahiru JegaProfessor, Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
Mansur Muhtar, Executive Director of the World Bank
Mohammed Bello Adoke,Minister of Justice & Attorney General of the Federation
Nnenadi Usman, Former Finance Minister
Turai Yar'Adua, Former First Lady
Olusegun Obasanjo Jnr., Architect and Son of Former President Olusegun Obasanjo
Shehu Ladan, Former GMD, NNPC
Jerry Gana, Former Information Minister
Idris Legbo Kutigi, Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
Rilwanu Lukman, Former Secretary General OPEC & Petroleum Minister
Nuhu Ribadu, Former Chairman, EFCC
Ibrahim Lamorde, Current Chairman, EFCC
Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, Former FCT Minister
Donald Duke, former Cross River state governor
Isa Yuguda,Governor, Bauchi State
Umaru Tanko Al-Makura, Governor, Nasarawa State
Shamsudeen Usman,Minister of National Planning
Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo, Governor, Gombe State
Usman Saidu Nasamu Dakingari, Governor, Kebbi State
Ibrahim Geidam,Governor, Yobe State
Danbaba Danfulani Suntai, Governor, Taraba State
Bukar Abba Ibrahim, Former Governor, Yobe State
Mohammed Bawa, former Ekiti State governor
Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai El-Kanemi, Shehu of Borno
Kabiru Ibrahim Gaya, former Kano state governor
Zainab Abdulkadir Kure, politician
Sanusi Lamido, Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
Ahmed Makarfi, former Kaduna state governor
Adamu Mu'azu, former Bauchi State governor
Rebecca Ndjoze-Ojo, politician
Aminu Safana, doctor/politician
Ibrahim Shekarau, former Kano state governor
Ibrahim Shema, Katsina State governor
Ussif Rashid Sumaila, economist
Ibrahim H. Umar, former Vice Chancellor and scientist.
Patrick Ibrahim Yakowa, Kaduna state governor
Reginald Ihejiahi - M.D. & Chief Executive Officer of Fidelity Bank Plc
Iya Mohamed, Managing Director, SODECOTON; president FECAFOOT; member of FIFA world cup committee; member of CPDM in Cameroon
Abayomi Awoniyi (Kogi State) Deputy Governor
Professor Seth Sunday Ajayi,Wildlife Conservation Expert(1994 UNEP Global 500 Environmental Achievement Laureate For Africa)
Lantana Usman, Author and Professor
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by auwal87(m): 2:05am On Oct 23, 2012
Unkl':
Most alumni of ABU are politicians and any Tom, Dick and Harry can fall into that class in Nigeria, we are talking about people who hv distinguished themselves in their field of specialization and are recognized across the world for the values they hv added to learning, compare the list of UNN and ABU and u'll understand what I'm saying. As for smbody claiming that UI is a first generation I make bold to say that UNN is the first recognised University in Nigeria, UI was a university college and was subsequently giving the status of a full flegded university.

The quest was "Recognized Alumni", not Professionals or specific job. Recognition is about who is well known in the society. You will instantly recognize most of the list from ABU Alumni, but one can hardly recognize most of that list from UNN.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Masoro: 6:17pm On Oct 23, 2012
olusogo: It is amazing to see a list comprising alumni of University of Ibadan being claimed by enthusiasts of other universities. Professor Ango Abdullahi was alumnus of U.I. He was honored by the NAAS, University of Ibadan branch in 2003 at their Maiden Alumni Lecture delivered by Emeritus Professor Adenuga Oyenuga(rtd). He graduated in 1965.

The fact is that you can not beat the reach. University of Ibadan stands out when you are writing history of who is who in Nigeria. The Premier University is equal to the rest.
I think I need to school you a little.. Alumnus simply means a former graduate, student,member or employee of a school, colledge or university. Professor ango Abdullahi was ofcourse a graduate of UI. However he obtained his professorship from ABU andsubsequently became a Vice chancellor.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by olawalebabs(m): 6:01am On Oct 24, 2012
Masoro:
I think I need to school you a little.. Alumnus simply means a former graduate, student,member or employee of a school, colledge or university. Professor ango Abdullahi was ofcourse a graduate of UI. However he obtained his professorship from ABU andsubsequently became a Vice chancellor.
Ango Abdullahi still remain an alumnus of UI
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by murtalaa(m): 12:57am On Dec 21, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Is NDA a University

BTW, why all the Alumni from ABU are all Politicians and are mostly from The north unlike UNN and Unlag that has both Yorubas and IGBOs.

The same reason why UNN and UI alumni are mostly from the South
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by jabbo(m): 2:31pm On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
The fact that you has three universities in the west as at time does not mean the SW liked education more than other regions. It was just a case of circumstance that led to the citing of these schools in those locations. University of Ibadan for instance was established by the British and it was cited in Ibadan. it could have been cited anywhere else. The establishment of another Federal university, Unilag is as a result of the location. A city like Lagos cannot be left without a federal university because it's a melting point of Nigerians from every nook and cranny. So, that leaved University of Ife(OAU) as the true university of the SW just like UNN is to the east and ABU is to the North.
Which University did you attend?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chinenye Gloria Enukorah Is UNIZIK Nursin Best Graduating Student With 4.74 CGPA / GRV Addresses Lagos Civil Service, NURTW & Traditional Leaders (Video) / The Most Beautiful University You Have Been To In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.