Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects (13261 Views)

High-profile Fraud: EFCC Probes Four Judges Frustrating Probe / EFCC Reopens Subsidy Fraud Cases / Ahmadu Ali’s Son Re-arraigned For N4.5b Subsidy Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Tuesday withdrew charges of conspiracy and fraud relating to petroleum subsidy payments against four persons.
Justice Samuel Candide-Johnson of the Lagos State High Court, Igbosere, struck out the charges following an application by the EFCC.
EFCC's counsel, Mr. Rotimi Oyedepo, said he was instructed by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke (SAN) to withdraw the case.
He said: "We have an information (a charge) dated July 20, 2012 before this court.
"I have the instruction of the Attorney-General of the Federation to withdraw this information.
"The information has not been served on the defence.
"I urge the court to strike out the charges, “the EFCC counsel added.
In a short ruling, Justice Candide-Johnson ordered as prayed.
"At the instance of the prosecution, the information having been withdrawn is struck out," he said.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/55803-subsidy-efcc-withdraws-charges-against-four.html
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 31, 2012
HNosegbe: "I have the instruction of the Attorney-General of the Federation to withdraw this information".

What is this? shocked shocked
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 31, 2012
In a civilized society the EFCC shouldn't be taking instructions from the AGF. It should be an independent prosecutorial body with a wide array of powers, drawing funding as a first-line charge from the Federation account.

I am trying so hard to have faith in this government, but they keep making it harder.

4 Likes

Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jul 31, 2012
Comical comedy!
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Gbawe: 3:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
HNosegbe:

What is this? shocked shocked

My brother, why are you surprised? Did you, even for one second, believe the pontifications of the 40 laptop crew? Most reputable Nigerians have already announced that this Government cannot bring their own friends and benefactors to book. Sycophants can say what they want but sensible folks, not into azz-licking or self-deception, know that many in this Government (to Include GEJ, Adoke Bello, Allison-Madueke et al) are neck deep in the fuel subsidy scam. They can therefore never bring fellow crooks to book same as GEJ can never unleash the might of office against sponsors of Boko Haram he claims to know. This, like many other issues 'unresolved' problems facing Nigeria, is simply a case of leadership not being able to deliver solutions because it is parts and parcel of the problem. Simple.

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=35478

Subsidy Thieves Will Go Scot Free- Obinna Akukwe

The recent clamor for subsidy thieves to be prosecuted is as illusionary as hoping that Lucifer will betray the Queen of the Coast. I have reiterated in an earlier piece, ‘Shut Up! Nigerian Government Cannot Prosecute Subsidy Thieves, those who hoped that subsidy thieves will be prosecuted will be disappointed at the crash of their optimism. Recent events have shown that successfully prosecuting those who stole N1.7 trillion naira that belongs to the Nigerian people under a fraudulent subsidy regime as revealed by the Farouk Lawan led Subsidy Probe Committee of the House of Representative reports and the recent Aigboje Aig-Imoukhede Presidential Review Committee is a mirage and can never happen.
The CBN was first contracted to rubbish the report, later the NNPC joined fray. Their attempts to discredit the subsidy probe report failed to impress both the Nigerian people and the Nigerian media. They changed tactics; the Attorney General of the Federation came with his own version of the understanding of the report and was short of calling it an ill prepared document which needs proper reconstruction. Nigerians ignored him and continued with calls for the prosecution of oil thieves. The Lawan $3 million dollars bribery scandal came and Nigerians refused to be distracted from the substance of the matter. Now the government has directed the EFCC to investigate the reports and prosecute offenders. That is where the matter will finally die due to slowpoke prosecution.

The EFCC have buried different cases of corruption due to inconclusive investigations or haphazard prosecutions. In some cases there is deliberate collusion between the EFCC, the suspects and the Judiciary to encumber the cases so that nothing will come out of it. What happened in the Erastus Akingbola case where the Judge dismissed the suit for incompetent prosecution is a case at hand.

The only achievement of the subsidy probe is information. This information will be vindictively handy in the day of revolution or reckoning when the Nigerian people will reclaim their commonwealth from the hands of thieving leadership. The second gain is that the thieves will reduce their tempo and this reduced tempo will save the nation billions of dollars of hitherto stolen funds.

[size=14pt]The expectation that Goodluck Jonathan will prosecute the fingers that fed his presidential election is wishful thinking. [/size]During Obasanjo era, the former president refused to surrender Babangida for prosecution. The Dr Pius Okigbo Committee report on the squandering of $12 billion dollar gulf oil windfall disappeared from all public records during the tenure of Olusegun Obasanjo. All attempts by the Nigerian people to pressurize Obasanjo to prosecute the Babangida fell on deaf ears because the later was the leader of the people who dragged Obasanjo into the State House in 1999.

Umaru Yaradua was not able to surrender James Ibori for trial. He frustrated all earlier attempts by the Metropolitan Police to arraign James Ibori for money laundering charges. He sent a high powered letter and delegation from Aoondoaka, then Attorney General and Minister for Justice of Nigeria to convince the British police that Ibori was a clean man. Ibori had used Delta State funds to bankroll his presidency with the permutations that Goodluck Jonathan will be dropped as Vice President after Yaradua’s first tenure.
There is yet no record in Nigeria where a political godson led the arraignment of the godfather for corruption related matters. Godsons and godfathers quarrel in Nigeria over control of state resources but their disagreement has never degenerated to the extent of the godson and incumbent dragging his benefactor to the courts for fraud related matters. It is a no go area for Nigerian politicians. Goodluck Jonathan cannot be an exception. He cannot be different from the tradition that trumped him up.

Goodluck Jonathan would still have won the 2011 presidential elections without the assistance of the huge funds deployed at the time. The hawks convinced him that without a huge financial chest, his presidential dream is finished, and such reasoning commenced the process of the looting of national treasury unprecedented in the history of Nigeria. Therefore, the people who used different guise to mobilize those funds cannot be victimized through fraud related prosecutions. Funds were mobilized from Fuel Subsidy bills, Pensions, Capital Market, Customs, Federal Inland Revenue, Ministries, Departments and Parastatals of Government. The fronts refused to surrender the privilege even after the elections had been concluded. The presidency preferred to confront the masses by removal of fuel subsidy than face the blood sucking oil mafia.

The earlier this government runs affairs by telling the truth, the better for all. The opposition Action Congress of Nigeria had earlier called on President Jonathan to apologize to Nigerians over the subsidy scandal. This is the best he can do under the circumstances. Let him apologize to Nigerians for allowing his party men and their friend’s costly indulgence in endless sharing of subsidy national cake and promise to block all loopholes whereby such thievery will occur in the future. Nigerians will likely appreciate an admittance of wrongdoing and a verifiable evidence of preventing future occurrence than the current circus show.

[size=16pt]The politics of N1.7 trillion naira subsidy thefts is a time bomb which will likely explode on the thieving politicians and their business associates in the not too distant future. Equally, the possibility of Goodluck Jonathan betraying his helpers is rare and such optimism is an expensive mental exercise. This cartel is so oiled and powerful that crumbling the Jonathan administration will take them a few weeks and for a president already frightened by Boko Haram Jihadists, he cannot afford another battle with the oil thieves.[/size]

20 Likes

Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
which 4?
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Biggyd2: 3:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
No names ooo!!! grin grin grin. Muchi muchi government! The begging of the end of these cases, it seems. Watch out, more to come. I still wonder why I am not surprised. After all the monies spent setting up committees e.t.c, all going down the drain. I weep for this country indeed.
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 31, 2012
Bros Gbawe, no blame me abeg. It's just that I so desperately, desperately want to believe that this government has our interests at heart and that they will do the right thing for once. Apparently such hopes are forlorn.

*sighs* sad embarassed
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Gbawe: 3:56pm On Jul 31, 2012
HNosegbe: Bros Gbawe, no blame me abeg. It's just that I so desperately, desperately want to believe that this government has our interests at heart [/b]and that they will do the right thing for once. Apparently such hopes are forlorn.

*sighs* sad embarassed

My brother, this ultra-corrupt Government is only interested in stealing. The mission is to use crude propaganda, Otedola-style shenanigans and Oscar-winning performances to detract from the massive looting they are conducting so that 'team GEJ' can safely cross the 2015 line. We did this whole fuel subsidy issue to death in the past on this forum.

Many Nairalanders patriotically 'wrote books' that [b]should have left no sane Nigerian oblivious to the notion that it is impossible for the GEJ Government not to be a part of this whole scam
. It is simply impossible for the subsidy scam to have occured, to this monumental scale, without the complicity of the FG !!!

Who are the only two authorities empowered to issue marketers license that actually proceeded to do that to the extent, so disgracefully, that many with no capacity or ability to engage in the fuel sector gained marketers licence? Is it not the FG and the NNPC?

My brother, I don't want to get started again on something many of us laid bare at great length and with figures, precise statistics, damning relational issues etc. Suffice to say only a total fool, and perhaps an irredeemable bigot supporting his "brother" blindly, would believe GEJ, Allison-Madueke, Adoke Bello and co are not a big part of the mess they are pretending to be cleaning.

7 Likes

Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 31, 2012
Nigerians and big english. . . .

YOUR GOVT WILL NOT GIVE YOU WHAT YOU DESERVE UNLESS YOU SHOW THEM THAT YOU DONT MIND GIVING THEM DEATH, JUST AS THEY DONT MIND GIVING YOU DEATH!!!

Liberty or Death; the choice is yours.

5 Likes

Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by ariy(m): 4:11pm On Jul 31, 2012
Uncle Gbawe thumb up
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 31, 2012
When did GEJ become Court Judge ? I bow for the rotten judiciary, each time the executive arms initiate corruption fight, the judiciary gets them off the hook.
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by LFJ: 5:30pm On Jul 31, 2012
Billyonaire: When did GEJ become Court Judge ? I bow for the rotten judiciary, each time the executive arms initiate corruption fight, the judiciary gets them off the hook.

Billyonaire, I hail you and other member of the squad for the job well done. You are actually trying your best. It is not easy to market a bad product. The more you try, the more the mess. If these people know how strenous to defend them, may be they would have learn how to think before they take most of their action. I know that this is another screw-up for the member of the crew, may the good lord give you and other member of the squad the strenght to withstand this shock.

5 Likes

Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by lacasa: 5:48pm On Jul 31, 2012
Fresh Air Fraud once again

Nxt time dem eediots will not vote;

Gej & not PDP

grin

(Truly, most Nigerians r suffering from "Limited Intelligence"wink angry
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by alaoeri: 5:51pm On Jul 31, 2012
Billyonaire: When did GEJ become Court Judge ? I bow for the rotten judiciary, each time the executive arms initiate corruption fight, the judiciary gets them off the hook.
What are spewing, where 'll the judiciary get order from?
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by miteolu(m): 5:52pm On Jul 31, 2012
[size=20pt]ORDER FROM ABOVE[/size]
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by GboyegaD(m): 5:55pm On Jul 31, 2012
The country is totally finished. Can we discuss better things please
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by ifihearam: 5:55pm On Jul 31, 2012
lacasa: Fresh Air Fraud once again

Nxt time dem eediots will not vote;

Gej & not PDP

grin

(Truly, most Nigerians r suffering from "Limited Intelligence"wink angry

Shut up my mumu friend,u have unlimited intelligence I guess

But wait ooo. I thought there is separation of powers checks and balances.
One thing I know is that even if a citizen decides to withdraw a case the state might object it,so why will the judge agree to the withdrawal of that sensitive matter??between where are the names of the suspects that were withdrawnwhy una dey quick believe cock and bull stories sef??

Gej is here to fight with the monster called corruption and nobody or thing will stop him
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:56pm On Jul 31, 2012
The Eagle eye is getting blurred.
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by ifihearam: 5:56pm On Jul 31, 2012
alaoeri:
What are spewing, where 'll the judiciary get order from?

Is there no separation of powers between the three organs of governmentdoes the judiciary in america get order from the president??
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Jabioro: 5:57pm On Jul 31, 2012
I knw frm day one that whatever that come out of snake must be long and poisonous.PDP,Poisonous Destrotive Party.
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by ebamma(m): 5:59pm On Jul 31, 2012
why am i not suprised,
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by 401kk: 6:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
Is thal all? The journalist failed to dig deep and provide details of the suit. I can't make any judgement on scanty information.
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by PHIPEX(m): 6:07pm On Jul 31, 2012
Has the EFCC won any case since the conviction suspension of Bode Thomas years ago? Why then will you expect me to be surprised about this news?
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by sharpman1(m): 6:08pm On Jul 31, 2012

Are you stupid?? Did you not read that it was the Attorney-General of the Federation and the Minister of Justice that instructed the EFCC to withdraw the case?

How did they recruit you members of the 40 Laptop squad?? are you guys that dumb?

That said................

The information is not complete. Who are the four suspects? Lazy journalism!!
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Claumy2(m): 6:10pm On Jul 31, 2012
Can't something happen so that all these men will die at once. One is highly infuriated by all these. THEIR NAMES! Hopeless journalists
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by 9jii(m): 6:11pm On Jul 31, 2012
stop believing this govt if you want enjoy the show.
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by NigelEnimJr(m): 6:12pm On Jul 31, 2012
power of brown envelop... grin grin grin
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by 9jii(m): 6:13pm On Jul 31, 2012
stop taking this govt ceriously if you want enjoy the show.just like watching cartoon.
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by Ortis: 6:13pm On Jul 31, 2012
WTF....,i said it,i said it,i said it dem want 2 dance galalamatutu dance again.....wat a movie,nija neva sieze 2 suprise me/ on wat grounds wer dy released!!
Re: Subsidy Fraud: EFCC Withdraws Charges Against Four Suspects by manny4life(m): 6:15pm On Jul 31, 2012
Wow, I guess the critics were rights after all, this is a blow to GEJ's government. Money has definitely changed hands, I'm not surprised at all. Mr. President, please swing into action, there are few people who still believe in you, please do not disappoint them.

HNosegbe: In a civilized society the EFCC shouldn't be taking instructions from the AGF. It should be an independent prosecutorial body with a wide array of powers, drawing funding as a first-line charge from the Federation account.

I am trying so hard to have faith in this government, but they keep making it harder.

So EFCC will prosecute on behalf of Nigerian govt right? Na wa for you people o. So what's the Job of the Justice Department under which the Attorney-General control? It's like saying that FBI can prosecute on behalf of the U.S. government. Like really?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Profile Of Chief Olusola Oke The Next Governor Of Ondo State(!?) / Open Secret: Beware! Not Only Oduah, Many More Are In Their Crosshairs / NDDC Probe: NANS, NYCN Tell Akpabio To Step Down For Proper Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.