Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,131 members, 7,838,875 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? (21225 Views)

Queen Elizabeth Shocked And Surprised With Northern Nigeria (photos) / Students Who Do These 5 Things Will Succeed Academically - INFOGRAPHIC / Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by ishmael(m): 3:35pm On Aug 01, 2012
@Gbigbon: U're not telling the truth. Now, tell us how many of the universities, polytechnics and colleges of education in the north that are based on islamic doctrine?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Acidosis(m): 3:36pm On Aug 01, 2012
nagoma: 1. Can you list other places you have taught before your present job please?
2. A good teacher can always produce changes and make an impact instead of the" I know it all " mourning. Are you a trained teacher ?
3. If you call 6x6 academic , you couldn't have gone above SSCE yourself.
4. Remember GEJ has a PhD, or so they said.

what are you even talking about?

A student has 3months ahead to face SSCE and He doesn't know the result for 6*6, and you're talking about academics? What could be more ''academic'' than a simple arithmetic to a dulluard?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by yommy2sure(m): 3:39pm On Aug 01, 2012
ajobes:
pls stop being myopic because u dont know much about this topic of discussion.
lol being myopic ke, I was born and brought up in the north so i knw whats Im saying.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Super1759: 3:40pm On Aug 01, 2012
ajobes:
pls tell us its not happening in EKITI and Bayelsa stated...
my brother am saying kogi state and if kogi can do this then how about the core north.the best school in ma l.g.a I was suprised do same.ma corper friend who refused that she will write for them or even help them was attacked by the students. We took the case to police yet the trait was much.that they wil only forgive her if the waec result comes out and they passed.this people don't come for class.even the serios ones can't apprehend because of their poor foundation academically.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by festusfeezy(m): 3:42pm On Aug 01, 2012
[quote author=1supremo]
I served in the South-South too and I perfectly agree with you.[/quote
it is nt every whr my guy, i lived in d north...it is very rampard in d north...d prob is frm d past leaders nd d upbringiing frm d parent
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 01, 2012
yommy2sure:
lol being myopic ke, I was born and brought up in the north so i knw whats Im saying.
what part of the north are u talking about?
Niger, pleatue, kogi, kwara, kano, katsina kaduna etc....?
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by MacLovington(m): 3:43pm On Aug 01, 2012
We are not going to get anywhere by turning every thread into a regional supremacy arguement.

Someone posted a thread about his observations, instead of northerners to educate us, they are pointing out other things about the south.

If the northerners have things to say about the south, please open a seperate thread for that.

We can see why we cannot move foreward.

If you catch a Southern lootocrat, southerners say northerners are also looting so it's because he's a southerner.

When a northern lootocrat is arrested, same thing.

Are we even ready to be one country at all?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by nagoma(m): 3:44pm On Aug 01, 2012
My youth corper colleague ( a northerner) was beaten up by students in the SS because he insisted on a real exam. He was saved by the police.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 01, 2012
MacLovington: We are not going to get anywhere by turning every thread into a regional supremacy arguement.

Someone posted a thread about his observations, instead of northerners to educate us, they are pointing out other things about the south.

If the northerners have things to say about the south, please open a seperate thread for that.

We can see why we cannot move foreward.

If you catch a Southern lootocrat, southerners say northerners are also looting so it's because he's a southerner.

When a northern lootocrat is arrested, same thing.
Are we even ready to be one country at all?
Southerners are also Backward academically. academic cheating started in the south especially the south west
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Super1759: 3:46pm On Aug 01, 2012
[quote author=festusfeezy][/quote]stop generalising this on south south.maybe make mention of rural areas and not town and urban area.so your saying schools in ph are daft? I have not heard that before.rather we hear cases of 60percent of teachers in sokoto are illiteraes.so you should know their products.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 01, 2012
Super1759: stop generalising this on south south.maybe make mention of rural areas and not town and urban area.so your saying schools in ph are daft? I have not heard that before.rather we hear cases of 60percent of teachers in sokoto are illiteraes.so you should know their products.
what do u mean by ILLITERATE mr literate?
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by aribisala0(m): 3:49pm On Aug 01, 2012
Very biased write up based on preconceived notions. I don't know how we can draw any conclusions about an entire state based on this anecdote not to talk of the whole North.You tell us about the observations of "colleagues" in other Northern states but are quiet about the south.
Asssuming the anecdote is even representative of the State why must we assume the entire North is the same. Are all Nigerians Fraudsters or Drug traffickers or prostitutes.
As a Youth corper I assume you have a University first degree which suggests proficiency in imbibing and reproducing others' ideas. You now need to move to the next level of generating your own ideas from data and you must learn how to collect and organize data to justify conclusions.
Your tale is an interesting anecdote,nothing more and your conclusion would be as valid as an Indian or American in your same position drawing conclusions about Africans or Black people from the same observation.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by yommy2sure(m): 3:50pm On Aug 01, 2012
ajobes:
what part of the north are u talking about?
Niger, pleatue, kogi, kwara, kano, katsina kaduna etc....?

lol zaria kaduna state, plus im an ABU graduate...Nobody is saying great professionals havent come out of the north but in truth you cant compare the standard of the basic, accessable and affordable education you get in north (secondary and primary) to that obtainable in other parts of Nigeria. And its the value placed on it and the judgement of which is superior between western and islamic education.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Afam4eva(m): 3:51pm On Aug 01, 2012
aribisala0: Very biased write up based on preconceived notions. I don't know how we can draw any conclusions about an entire state based on this anecdote not to talk of the whole North.You tell us about the observations of "colleagues" in other Northern states but are quiet about the south.
Asssuming the anecdote is even representative of the State why must we assume the entire North is the same. Are all Nigerians Fraudsters or Drug traffickers or prostitutes.
As a Youth corper I assume you have a University first degree which suggests proficiency in imbibing and reproducing others' ideas. You now need to move to the next level of generating your own ideas from data and you must learn how to collect and organize data to justify conclusions.
Your tale is an interesting anecdote,nothing more and your conclusion would be as valid as an Indian or American in your same position drawing conclusions about Africans or Black people from the same observation.
Why are you always quick to negate everything on this failure. Do you think taking an opposite stance makes you smart? The OP is just trying to say that there are more uneducated people than educated ones in northern Nigeria. That doesn't mean every northerner is a stark illiterate. Why is that too much for you to understand. na waoo.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Joey82(m): 3:54pm On Aug 01, 2012
academic backwardness is every where in Nigeria
Although its more of a problem with public schools and this is not restricted only to the north.
I served in the west, Sagamu to be precise and I was teaching in this so called Model school, guy, the students didnt know jack!
The first time a student was able to solve a simple physics equation was under my tutelage. that day the whole class went gaga, they told me they used to think solving those kinda problems was like magic.
There i saw the worst exam situation where an alarm was connected from the security post to the exam hall.
Once the security man cites any strange face, he presses the alarm and evrybody adjusts back in the hall. It was a free for all thing.
The situation was even worst wif public schools, I tell you, some students could not even copy from the board.
it was that hard.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
Why are you always quick to negate everything on this failure. Do you think taking an opposite stance makes you smart? The OP is just trying to say that there are more uneducated people than educated ones in northern Nigeria. That doesn't mean every northerner is a stark illiterate. Why is that too much for you to understand. na waoo.

and why discussing such thing on this thread? dont u have better things to discuss other than making pple to feel inferior and laughing stock? since u have more literate in the south than in the north, let us be pls. let ur literacy give u all the progress u need and stop critising ur LITERATE Leaders Southernerns on NL again.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Ybutterfly: 3:57pm On Aug 01, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[size=20pt]WHO CARRRES[/size]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Oloyeagba: 4:00pm On Aug 01, 2012
Why won't they be backward since they are being brainwashed on a daily basis that western education is sin.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by 9javoice1(m): 4:10pm On Aug 01, 2012
aribisala0(m): Quote Post
Very biased write up based on preconceived notions. I don't know how we can draw any conclusions about an entire state based on this anecdote not to talk of the whole North.You tell us about the observations of "colleagues" in other Northern states but are quiet about the south.
Asssuming the anecdote is even representative of the State why must we assume the entire North is the same. Are all Nigerians Fraudsters or Drug traffickers or LovePeddlers.

The major reason why core-north can never progress academicaly.
cuz even the educated ones couldn't figure out their failures when they see it,
so tell me how will they solve it.

pls may this country divide quick. i don't know why we are living together with these pple.
if they can't upgrade their educational system and society what on earth will they offer to this country.

pls let ths country divide.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 01, 2012
i served in a sec. sch. in benue state where i taught geography. it was horrible! i taught students that were my age.some girls were even married and they come to school with their babies.the most shocking part of it was an ss3 student whose son was in js1 both of them in the same school! to me i considered the school to be an adult education school than an ordinary secondary school.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by sayusuf(m): 4:15pm On Aug 01, 2012
my brother,initially, i thought the problem is unique to north, until after my serving at loyola college,old ife road,ibadan,oyo state.
Just like you, i am taking ss2 student mathematics, and i ask this question;
zero minus 1, all the class say 1, some are stupid enough to say 2.
I begin to ask silly arithmetic questions, yet all i got is dissappointment..
My greatest challenge @ loyola is communication as most of d student dont understand english.most of the teachers tought them in yoruba..I could remeber the principal ask ss3 student to write 'i am a boy'. But the boys could not.
I summon alot of courage nd hardwork to install some amount of mathematical disciplne 2 d boys..
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 01, 2012
berem: i served in a sec. sch. in benue state where i taught geography. it was horrible! i taught students that were my age.some girls were even married and they come to school with their babies.the most shocking part of it was an ss3 student whose son was in js1 both of them in the same school! to me i considered the school to be an adult education school than an ordinary secondary school.
fine. that doesnt make them illiterate or uneducated. they can read and write and even pass theie exams.
they are better of than ur Millitant group terrorising innocent students in Igbenidiom University
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by nagoma(m): 4:18pm On Aug 01, 2012
berem: i served in a sec. sch. in benue state where i taught geography. it was horrible! i taught students that were my age.some girls were even married and they come to school with their babies.the most shocking part of it was an ss3 student whose son was in js1 both of them in the same school! to me i considered the school to be an adult education school than an ordinary secondary school.

That sounds good . The humility to learn even at that age. I wish it was more widespread.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by accused(m): 4:24pm On Aug 01, 2012
they have been brian wash wit dis 72 naked virgin tin so no need for education but on a second thout sup wit d female boko wat do dey get in return 72 naked male virgin ? For one babe
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 01, 2012
They prefer Arabic studies!
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by DeGrace01(m): 4:26pm On Aug 01, 2012
Till tomorrow the northerners are backwards in everything except in shedding of innocent blood. Instead of backbiting here u pple should find a solution to it. Secondly if all the northerners fail to do something serious about it now tomorrow will be worst, I mean more backwards thanks to BH presently.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 01, 2012
quest003: It was planned dat way by Lord lugard back in those years

Thanks jare for keeping up with history. . .The backwardness of the north was one of the administrative policy adopted by Lord Lugard when he introduced indirect rule.It was meant to shut out the north from being exposed an an already inspiring south where western education, christainity and western culture are already surging.

I blame the British colonial government for the present situation because their policy taught southern and Northern Nigerians that they are two different people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Super1759: 4:32pm On Aug 01, 2012
ajobes:
what do u mean by ILLITERATE mr literate?
my friend.I didn say it.it was on news and even on NL here.so stop defending rubish
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 01, 2012
accused: they have been brian wash wit dis 72 naked virgin tin so no need for education but on a second thout sup wit d female boko wat do dey get in return 72 naked male virgin ? For one babe
I bet u re not more educated than dos u re insulting. i can bet that u are the most dundi student if u even past thru school before. if u claim to be more literarte than them ple behave maturely and post decent and educative post rather than incinuating rubish that u never heard form any of them befoe but just incinuations.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by lafuria1(m): 4:35pm On Aug 01, 2012
As a northerner, yes we have big educational problem because the govt has refused to invest in pry and secondary education. Large number of youth and children go to school, u just need to see them in the morning others simply dont (almajiris), others drop out because of financial prblms or lack of intrest. U cant tell me that northerners dont go to sch(some think we dont at all) . Statisticaly, the number of gradute from the univesity to non gradute is not impresive.
We have more southern graduate than north but their pry and secondary edu is no better than ours.
The north isnt backward because of academic standard, but because of lack of infastructures. When the eldest in a family is a graduate wt no job, why should the father send the younger ones.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by aribisala0(m): 4:47pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
I expressed an opinion if you disagree say so and why.i don't know if I am smart but really question who you are to ask me that?
We all cannot agree on everything but disagreements don't have to be personal.
So you have been studying me? I am flattered. Sorry I have not noticed you nor your sagacity so I won't comment on you.

I do not agree with what seems to me a bigoted and prejudicial attempt to stereotype one section of our counry.
Maybe I am wrong but that is my view so please do not try to muzzle me.
I do not believe as I have said that we can draw the inference from the observation in his narrative and I said why just like it would be wrong for an Indian teacher in that school to draw any inference about Africans generally from the same observation.That sort of inference is no different from racism which many sensible people condemn so let us not be hypocrites and say it is good for us to do it to ourselves but not for white people to do it to us
In order to claim there are more this than that we need data not anecdotes.How much more by what factor and what is the aim of reporting for supremacist triumphalism or as a prelude to remedial effort. In any order society this sort of argument especially without data will be called racism. Here in the UK performance data are collected for different groups and poor performers attract more resources so what is our aim here?So we can laugh and slap ourselves on the back and say "we have always known abokis are dumb"?
Feel free to speak your mind.
peace.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by accused(m): 4:48pm On Aug 01, 2012
ajobes:
I bet u re not more educated than dos u re insulting. i can bet that u are the most dundi student if u even past thru school before. if u claim to be more literarte than them ple behave maturely and post decent and educative post rather than incinuating rubish that u never heard form any of them befoe but just incinuations.
well i pity folks lik u,i knw for sure u re one of dem boko madness dat re killin on daily basis talk of bein litrate ur post has shown wat stuff u re made of if at all u pass tru d four walls of education i wonder fool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is This How Polio Vaccine Is Forced On school Children Without Parents Consent? / Sexual Misconduct: OAU, UNIABUJA Dismiss Four Profs, 14 Others / In Memory Of The Aluu Four Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.