Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,997 members, 7,838,511 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? (21223 Views)

Queen Elizabeth Shocked And Surprised With Northern Nigeria (photos) / Students Who Do These 5 Things Will Succeed Academically - INFOGRAPHIC / Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by phildon: 9:31am On Aug 02, 2012
@beblessed, that ratio you gave is never presented in the manner you did. It is 1:9 and not 10:90
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by phildon: 9:44am On Aug 02, 2012
beblessed: How many poor man's children are justices, judges, perm sec from the north? It only circulates within a particular group(s). One person will be a minister for twenty years. Later his son/daughter will take over...haba, how can you be this wicked. Come to the south and see how everyone is carried along with education.
You may be right. But these are mere appointments, political ones. And as we all know, Perm Sec was never a political appointment until now in Bayelsa State. So, your education or merit doesnt count in these appointments, your political affiliation does.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by dolpaz: 9:47am On Aug 02, 2012
Even in south east, i served in ebonyi state..its even worse over there?? when the foundation is bad, what can you do?? just do your best and leave the rest !!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 02, 2012
stop comparing what is not comparable. u guys had this exposure long ago and yet u have nothing to offer.
i always beat my southeners in any encounter that has to do with academics so why shold i bother about this.
u are not even ashame of the fact that u are comparing the south with the north when it comes to education.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by aribisala0(m): 10:40am On Aug 02, 2012
Using one example to draw conclusions is meaningless without data.We all remember the 20 year old secondary school student son of custom officer and the drama he created in the OYO state House of Assembly,
So who is Oyo state to boast about education?
When we talk of backwardness are we talking state of origin or state of instruction/residence.
It is the state that provides the education that takes credit or blame not so?
How do southerners living in the North perform or don't they go to school?
Always we ignore evidence that contradicts our preformed prejudices
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by dvee2: 11:12am On Aug 02, 2012
If you continue to live in denial,you will never solve your problem. It is a known fact that northern nigeria is the most educationally backward part of the country. Instead of you to challange yourself and your state governors you are here argueing this constructive criticism. Words cannot describe the superlative advantage enjoyed by westerners in nigeria as a result of their quest for educational excellence. look everywhere,oil and gas,banking and finance,telecommunication,etc.
Education defines and enligntened a people,exposes them to the world and improves their living standard. rather than compare and argue on this point,i call on my northern brothers to call their leaders to restrategise and make education a priority. this will even help with the boko haram menace. On a general note,the standard of education have fallen accross nigeria. the south-south with the exception of the state capitals are not doing better. Rivers state governor is doing a lot in that regards. That is what i am saying, recognising that you have a problem and drawing up a comprehensive plan on how to tackle it. i am afraid,the northern governors are yet to acknowledge these deficiency and therefore unfortunately the future still looks gloomy. ON THIS ISSUE,WE CAN ONLY BLAME OURSELVES. ITS NOT A GEJ ISSUE.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 02, 2012
ajobes: guys, i beg ur pardon to disagree with u that northernern are backward academically.
we are realy up to date academically. we have it takes when it come to academic field of studies and learning. pls stop saying all these rubish
you too! Stop saying this rubbish!
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by JANK23H(m): 12:36pm On Aug 02, 2012
yemorinho: It's such a pain in the neck.

I'm a serving corp member in one of the northern states and teaching in this Govt Sen Sec Sch has not been a bumper ride. I was assigned to teach mathematics and my first class was in SS3.

I was solving statistics and got to a point where I exclaimed '6x6'. The whole class was silent like a grave. (Prior to this time I had been carrying everyone along, with an intermittent 'understood?' and they would chorus a 'yes sir').

I then started pointing at students randomly. Some said 12, some, 10. Most others were jst mute (these were students who would b sitting 4 SSCE 3months from that time ). Only one student, the head prefect bailed the class. Was further shocked the following day when some students I had given †he task of studying the multiplication table couldn't recite 2x table past '2x5'.

It goes on an on... SS2 students also can't differentiate between '2 raise to power 3' and 2x3. To say the end of term assessment was woeful would b needless.

My counterparts in other northern states also experienced same and it cuts across all subjects. It's so discouraging, as this means students can't reproduce what u teach 'em owing to lack of the basic knowledge they ought 2 have acquired before that level.

This got me worried about the future of these lads.

It's nationwide my friend.I served in Ekiti state and i can tell you that i had the same experience,it was so disappointing.I used to hear Ekiti was a state with very smart people academically,but it was the direct opposite.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Santi222(m): 12:56pm On Aug 02, 2012
berem: i served in a sec. sch. in benue state where i taught geography. it was horrible! i taught students that were my age.some girls were even married and they come to school with their babies.the most shocking part of it was an ss3 student whose son was in js1 both of them in the same school! to me i considered the school to be an adult education school than an ordinary secondary school.
i'm in Benue presently and i understand what u mean!
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by TonySpike: 1:19pm On Aug 02, 2012
Having read all the comments from this thread, I hereby summarise the points from NL contributors as thus:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Primary and High School education in Nigeria has generally deteriorated tremendously over the years. All states in Nigeria are severely affected by this phenomenon.

2. All rural settlements and locations around urban fringes in Nigeria are adversely affected by lack of competent teachers, as well as poor infrastructures, to support teaching.

3. Citizens of some states in the federation do not encourage their wards to acquire Western education based on religious, and perhaps, moral inhibitions related to negative perception of western education.

4. Some parts of Nigeria are indeed more receptive and interested in Western education. This has placed them ahead in matters pertaining to global technology and industrial advancements related to Western principles.

5. There is a high possibility that the Southerners are more educationally advanced (Western) than their Northern counterparts. The latter group are known to be much more advanced in Quranic and Arabic education.

6. That a Nigerian state producing large number of high schoool candidates (e.g. JAMB enrollment figures) may not necessarily translate to better quality of graduates.

7. Nigerian educational system requires serious overhauling particularly from the primary education level to the secondary level. For example, the inability of many NL users to construct simple English sentences could be a result of defective primary and secondary education.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hereby suggest that another "committee" on education be inaugurated to look into the points I listed above. I hope that the President will let me review the findings of this committee with my own selected members. grin grin grin

Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Deeman87: 5:13pm On Aug 02, 2012
Whether u believed me or not dis is d fact:north >south, north>east, north<west, west>>south, west>east,east>south....educational facts
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by MMM2(m): 9:35pm On Aug 02, 2012
Boko harm
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by darqly(m): 4:51am On Aug 03, 2012
@aribiasala, how mAny stAtes in the north have u visited or lived in yourself? Obviously you're forming your own notions from your minute interactions with pockets of the north or northerners. I cannot be prejudiced against myself- I'm a northerner, part hausa for heaven's sake, how can u POSSIBLY know me better than myself? I served in Kano, in Kwankwaso's village, the present governor. I Was asked to teach integrated science in a sec sch that was preparing for JSSCE. At one point, I had to lecture my wards in hausa just so they could understand, but the exams were going to be conducted in english. Each month, the size of my class dwindled; some quit to focus on their farms, some just sat their lazy behinds @ home whilst others went off to marry! My headboy had two wives @ the time and we called him mallam. So what harder evidence do u seek? Northern leaders are not interested in education for the primary reason that they need their kinsmen to remain the zombies that they are, to do their bidding. You refer to my assertion that religion largely clouds the reasoning of most northerners as fallacy? Brother, wake up and smell the coffee. Those of us fortunate enough to have obtained an education know better.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by aribisala0(m): 5:15am On Aug 03, 2012
darqly: @aribiasala, how mAny stAtes in the north have u visited or lived in yourself? Obviously you're forming your own notions from your minute interactions with pockets of the north or northerners. I cannot be prejudiced against myself- I'm a northerner, part hausa for heaven's sake, how can u POSSIBLY know me better than myself? I served in Kano, in Kwankwaso's village, the present governor. I Was asked to teach integrated science in a sec sch that was preparing for JSSCE. At one point, I had to lecture my wards in hausa just so they could understand, but the exams were going to be conducted in english. Each month, the size of my class dwindled; some quit to focus on their farms, some just sat their lazy behinds @ home whilst others went off to marry! My headboy had two wives @ the time and we called him mallam. So what harder evidence do u seek? Northern leaders are not interested in education for the primary reason that they need their kinsmen to remain the zombies that they are, to do their bidding. You refer to my assertion that religion largely clouds the reasoning of most northerners as fallacy? Brother, wake up and smell the coffee. Those of us fortunate enough to have obtained an education know better.
What are my notions?

I have no notions .All I said is his experience is not enough t o generalize from and the entire North is NOT homogenous. Plateau state is NOT Borno state
Also we have millions of southerners living in the North who have never been south what is their performance.
Where is the data for these people Are they not part of this so called "backwardness".
i do not doubt the experience you described but do you know what obtains in Ekiti,Bayelsa or Akwa-Ibom? Your personal experience is not data.
There is a recognized way of collecting data NOT by "Personal experience"
The South is NOT Homogenous either. Again this is related to this idea of "brainwashing" Is the entire North practising one religion?? Imo is very different from Ebonyi or Akwa Ibom. Can we say Akwa Ibom are so educated and they continue to kill children calling them witches.Or is 6x6 the only evidence of education?
Please TRY and understand people's view points before jumping in to misrepresent.
READ and COMPREHEND
Even if I visit every state in the North that would not be sufficient or scientific way to draw conclusions Data is required,
Even if i visited Mount Everest would that enable me claim it is the highest without measurement,Visiting is irrelevant

If you take time to read you will understand that I have neither stated the North is backward or it is not.All I am advocating is that we talk based on EVIDENCE not ANECDOTES. Any "educated" person can relate to this.We have a problem of talking or acting without evidence in Nigeria which is unfortunate.If there is evidence to back up the claim so be it.
My other point is even if it is so what is the purpose here is anyone proposing a solution or is the AGENDA to further a supremacist "we better pass aboki" agenda.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by beblessed(f): 7:41am On Aug 03, 2012
To your tents oh israel, for the north is more academically advantaged, chikena! Their ancestors were erudite scholars. Please leave the north alone and mind your businesses. We are fine the way Nigeria is...

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by GentleNaaz(m): 11:25am On Aug 03, 2012
U cnt fnd a stdnt lik dat in south-east. Northerners r refused 2 develop sect of hoodlumps. Rmemba d meaning of bokoharam " book (educatn) is bad" dy prefer killing 2 civilization. B wise oh compatriots (northerners)
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Jaykizz(m): 12:53pm On Aug 03, 2012
IMO, d south-westerners ar dos dat crave 4 educatn d mst. Folod by south-south, south-east n d northeners.
Na d northeners worse pass. Dy value islamic educatn mor dan western educatn. Dy r so backward in almst evrytin n - hence, dy alow dia leaders to manipulate n influence dm.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by muktarmtt(m): 1:08pm On Aug 03, 2012
@dtemidare who dey steal money now no ur bro jona nd Ngoze ewela dey d first class barstard stealing 9ja money dey cnt even empliment budget now abaeg giv us a break.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by muktarmtt(m): 1:14pm On Aug 03, 2012
I feel u bro dat wat dey do 4 south south dey follow u wit money nd food stufs to buy marks frm d teach, sm gals even offer dem self to nysc teachers 2 pass dem wat a shame god save dis 9ja.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by muktarmtt(m): 1:38pm On Aug 03, 2012
@dtemidare dis is d guy who buzy stealin our he cnt even empliment budget now,

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by fortyfeet(m): 1:56pm On Aug 05, 2012
i remembered visiting a lecturer back in my days at Federal University of Technology, Minna. when i knocked at the door and his wife slightly opened the door with nearly all her face covered and i asked after greeting: is Mallam Ibrahim at home and she replied "SHE is no dey" i suffered headache for two days as a result of the all compulsory laugh i controlled for about 2 min.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by aribisala0(m): 2:26pm On Aug 05, 2012
Still she is no match for the

FIRST WIDOW :MADAM UMBLELA herself.

A true SOUTHERN CHAMPION who gives headache not just to one student but the whole nation !!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2016 Lasu Post-utme Screeening Problem : Latest Official Update By The Mgt / Sexual Misconduct: OAU, UNIABUJA Dismiss Four Profs, 14 Others / Is This How Polio Vaccine Is Forced On school Children Without Parents Consent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.