Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,910 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Why Are You Still In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are You Still In Nigeria? (2141 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by prodam(m): 1:10pm On Aug 01, 2012
This morning a friend of mine told me he had the opportunity of moving out of the country but refused because he has a plan here Nigeria..I began to wonder and these came to my mind.
Some of Nigerias major problems are tension, high poverty rate, insecurity, persistent criminal activities, poor electricity supply, unemployment, lawlessness, injustic, mismanagement of funds, corruption, to mention a few.
Under all these, you and I still live in our dear nation. Though some have tried hard to abscond but efforts proved abortive while some like me are just being patriotic, what we call suffering and smiling.

What is your own? What is keeping you in Nigeria? Patriotism, or no opportunity, or what..
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 01, 2012
'Cause I haven't got my first degree yet. When I do...
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Euroclydon(m): 2:08pm On Aug 01, 2012
poster do you have a job? Are u a Nigerian? do you have family resident in naija? where i wan run go?
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by LYNDDY(f): 2:17pm On Aug 01, 2012
what an absurd question...
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 2:21pm On Aug 01, 2012
prodam: This morning a friend of mine told me he had the opportunity of moving out of the country but refused because he has a plan here Nigeria..I began to wonder and these came to my mind.
Some of Nigerias major problems are tension, high poverty rate, insecurity, persistent criminal activities, poor electricity supply, unemployment, lawlessness, injustic, mismanagement of funds, corruption, to mention a few.
Under all these, you and I still live in our dear nation. Though some have tried hard to abscond but efforts proved abortive while some like me are just being patriotic, what we call suffering and smiling.

What is your own? What is keeping you in Nigeria? Patriotism, or no opportunity, or what..

Everybody cannot run away from Nigeria. The countries that used to welcome immigrants are now trying to reduce the inflow. Besides, we are way too many to be absorbed wholesale into other countries.
Those issues you mentioned above, how many of them actually affect you directly?
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by dasparrow: 4:11pm On Aug 01, 2012
prodam: This morning a friend of mine told me he had the opportunity of moving out of the country but refused because he has a plan here Nigeria..I began to wonder and these came to my mind.

Abroad is not what you think it is. I live overseas only because I was born abroad though I spent 11 years of my formative years in Nigeria. That said, where do you want Nigerians to go? We are 150 million plus people. What country will accomodate that many people into their country? You think running away will solve Nigeria's problem? In case you don't know, the global recession has caused many advanced nations to tighten their borders and enact strict immigration rules. Also, racial hostility is rearing its ugly head again and discrimination is at an all time high.

Going to another man's country especially without work authorization, permanent residency or citizenship for said country you are migrating to will leave you suffering more than you even suffered in Nigeria. There are many Nigerians that are stuck abroad with no jobs, no family of their own and have no money to go back home. Some Nigerians are stuck in low paying jobs abroad that can hardly pay all the bills while others are sadly in jail due to fraudulent activities or drug trafficking.

Lastly, because some Nigerians have totally damaged our image and reputation abroad, you will find that quite a number of people from other parts of the world dislike or don't trust we Nigerians and it shows in the manner by which they treat us. So, one should keep all this points in mind before feeling tempted to leave Nigeria thinking that the grass is greener on the other side because it is not. Not anymore anyways since the global recession.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 5:06pm On Aug 01, 2012
^^
That's not to say that you should not leave Nigeria, if you have a legitimate opportunity to do so.
You can also pursue these opportunities by yourself. But in case you are 'stuck' here like the rest of us, let's continue to strive to make things better.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 5:11pm On Aug 01, 2012
@Poster, there is more to leaving your home/country/place of abode, for a foreign land with foreign people, and the uncertainties that lie ahead. It really has little or nothing to do with Nigeria but more to do with the individuals frame of mind and will.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by OilCabal: 9:06pm On Aug 01, 2012
moderator front page please. Thank you
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 9:13pm On Aug 01, 2012
War hasn't broken out. That's why I'm still here.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by RichDad1(m): 10:26pm On Aug 01, 2012
waiting to get my Canadian Visa stamped cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by prodam(m): 9:51pm On Aug 03, 2012
I see..on a daily basis, Nigerians still move out of the country in troops in search for a greener pasture. Its not the issue of individual view as some people had suggested rather its the issue of whether the economy is favouring you or not.you may be okay here in Nigeria living fine but a more developed country might make you earn more and maximise your potentials. The reasons why Nigerians are still in Nigeria is a mystery. A nation where the economy favors a few and worsen the lives of the masses. Even the learned and well-equipped in terms of resources are complaining of low standard of living.
For me, am here because it is my home and it will for ever be. Am here because it is still fair and useful to me, I hope it continues to be. But on a general rasa, the nation is worthy to be denied
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by zeal500: 7:15am On Aug 04, 2012
@post simply note that there is no place like home
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by inspirenet: 8:29am On Aug 04, 2012
afam4eva: War hasn't broken out. That's why I'm still here.

smiley
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by antitpiah: 8:41am On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko: ^^
That's not to say that you should not leave Nigeria, if you have a legitimate opportunity to do so.
You can also pursue these opportunities by yourself. But in case you are 'stuck' here like the rest of us, let's continue to strive to make things better.

With people like you getting the good jobs via under-handed and illegitimate means, there is no hope for Nigeria.

Where will the creativity come from? The innovation? The million dollar idea? The momentary brilliance?
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Euroclydon(m): 8:59am On Aug 04, 2012
Na here God put me...I gat to make the best out of it.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Rhino5dm: 9:10am On Aug 04, 2012
why shouldn't I be in Nigeria? when I make decent living and seat on multi million naira company?undecided

Why should I go to sokoto looking for what I can get in my sokoto? it's all about the Benjamin cool

Three things I enjoy in life, food, beautiful women and beer. . .they're all here in abundance.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by TheDefender: 4:31pm On Aug 04, 2012
where do we want to run to? We are forbidden in other countries also.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by swaggerific: 6:30pm On Aug 04, 2012
9Ja is our fatherland. For me, I would rather continue to drive my bus till I make it big. If we all leave 9ja, who will build it up for us? If all those yeye Nigerians abroad wont come back to support Nigeria or at least contribute in some way thats called brain draining the country. That is so unpatroitic. Why would someone want to leave 9ja in the first place? If you hustle hard here you go make money...If i get a UK visa right now im not going anywhere.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by spyder880(m): 7:25pm On Aug 04, 2012
God did not make a mistake to create me here, and I will not make a mistake by leaving here.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 7:32pm On Aug 04, 2012
prodam: I see..on a daily basis, Nigerians still move out of the country in troops in search for a greener pasture. Its not the issue of individual view as some people had suggested rather its the issue of whether the economy is favouring you or not.you may be okay here in Nigeria living fine but a more developed country might make you earn more and maximise your potentials. The reasons why Nigerians are still in Nigeria is a mystery. A nation where the economy favors a few and worsen the lives of the masses. Even the learned and well-equipped in terms of resources are complaining of low standard of living.
For me, am here because it is my home and it will for ever be. Am here because it is still fair and useful to me, I hope it continues to be. But on a general rasa, the nation is worthy to be denied

All that still amounts to individual choice.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 9:23pm On Aug 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:

All that still amounts to individual choice.

Much more than individual choice, Kobo. Most people will simply never get the opportunity, no matter how much they hope, pray, and try.
Like I posted before, it's unrealistic to expect every single one of 160 million Nigerians to leave Nigeria. Where will they go?

Much better that we face our problems and tackle them, starting from our personal demons. A lot of Nigerians need to take charge of their personal lives, despite the constraint that is presented by the environment of today. If we can't take control of our personal destinies and our nation, then we deserve to be recolonized, frankly speaking.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:21pm On Aug 04, 2012
antitpiah:

With people like you getting the good jobs via under-handed and illegitimate means, there is no hope for Nigeria.

Where will the creativity come from? The innovation? The million dollar idea? The momentary brilliance?

How did I miss this?
Means that people like you are dumb and weak. I thought you were smart, and you let simpletons like me eucher you out of a 'common' Naija job. Shame on you tongue
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 10:52pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Much more than individual choice, Kobo. Most people will simply never get the opportunity, no matter how much they hope, pray, and try.
Like I posted before, it's unrealistic to expect every single one of 160 million Nigerians to leave Nigeria. Where will they go?

Much better that we face our problems and tackle them, starting from our personal demons. A lot of Nigerians need to take charge of their personal lives, despite the constraint that is presented by the environment of today. If we can't take control of our personal destinies and our nation, then we deserve to be recolonized, frankly speaking.

I don't believe one has to wait for a tailored opportunity to leave, if one really wants to. There are those who reject opportunities presented them on a platter of gold. I know one such person. And there are those who go looking to create that opportunity and will break down walls if they need to. It is their way of taking charge of their personal lives.

I don't expect everyone to leave-- as I have tried to explain, there are many who lack that will to, and believe, like some one here, that it is Nigeria till death. I understand that mindset given I have been around such people, even those who believe it would be a sin for them to leave for other lands.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I don't believe one has to wait for a tailored opportunity to leave, if one really wants to. There are those who reject opportunities presented them on a platter of gold. I know one such person. And there are those who go looking to create that opportunity and will break down walls if they need to. It is their way of taking charge of their personal lives.

I don't expect everyone to leave-- as I have tried to explain, there are many who lack that will to, and believe, like some one here, that it is Nigeria till death. I understand that mindset given I have been around such people, even those who believe it would be a sin for them to leave for other lands.

Haba, Kobo.
Are you saying all Nigerians should hit Agadez via Sahara, en route Libya and Morocco?
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 11:10pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Haba, Kobo.
Are you saying all Nigerians should hit Agadez via Sahara, en route Libya and Morocco?

Not everyone is built for that so most definitely not all Nigerians can and will. We all know that. Most everyone knows of someone who has 'escaped' via one of the many routes but themselves would not dream of it.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 11:13pm On Aug 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Not everyone is built for that so most definitely not all Nigerians can and will. We all know that. Most everyone knows of someone who has 'escaped' via one of the many routes but themselves would not dream of it.

I fear oh.
Not everybody will be able to take that 'airport' route. I doubt if 20 million Nigerians have successfully left Nigeria since independence. And we are 160 million. So what do the less fortunate ones do? That's my question.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 11:18pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I fear oh.
Not everybody will be able to take that 'airport' route. I doubt if 20 million Nigerians have successfully left Nigeria since independence. And we are 160 million. So what do the less fortunate ones do? That's my question.

Less fortunate in what sense though? They don't know the way to the border? they don't have enough money to make the trip across the border? or hold them over in the new place? what makes them less fortunate than those who made decision to throw caution to the wind and jump on any of the many routes out of Nigeria, some meeting their death along the way?
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by abdurrazaq(m): 8:38am On Aug 05, 2012
I am yet to complete my first degree programme, without that, leaving Nigeria is like going to war with no armour.
I will like to live here since this is my origin, my relatives (most especially my mother) are here but, I have got one life which I can‘t waste in the name of patriotism. There are two things I won‘t risk for leaving Nigeria though, MY LIFE AND NAME.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by CyberG: 12:54pm On Aug 05, 2012
afam4eva: War hasn't broken out. That's why I'm still here.

Big mouthed, lazy and cowardly guy! So, all your bravados were just internet showmanship! No visa for you, you can't destroy the country and want to run away to places like here where people like me make it what it is! grin grin
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 3:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
CyberG:

Big mouthed, lazy and cowardly guy! So, all your bravados were just internet showmanship! No visa for you, you can't destroy the country and want to run away to places like here where people like me make it what it is! grin grin
How's your job at the morgue going? Hoiw many dead bodies did you wash today? Just keep it up and may find your way up the ladder to a shit factory.
Re: Why Are You Still In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 3:28pm On Aug 05, 2012
afam4eva:
How's your job at the morgue going? Hoiw many dead bodies did you wash today? Just keep it up and may find your way up the ladder to a shit factory.

When war breaks out in Naija, you might need him to hook you up at the morgue grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kidnappers Of Osun Speakers Wife Are Not Igbo / Perfect Money Add Funds 5.0 / PDP Rejects 8,000 Polling Booths Allocated To South-east

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.