Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds (1119 Views)

Senate Presidency: Why I Boycotted Apc Primary Election – Bukola Saraki / Why No Mass Protest March Against Boko Haram In Northern Nigeria? / Christmas Day Bomb Blast: No Mass Burial For Victims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by PointB: 10:22am On Aug 02, 2012
Presidency: Why There is No Mass Release of Budget Funds

02 Aug 2012

Font Size: a / A
Doyin-Okupe05032011.jpg - Doyin-Okupe05032011.jpg

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe

By Chuks Okocha

The presidency has again defended its approach to the implementation of the 2012 budget that has put it on a collision course with the National Assembly, stating that it cannot order the mass release of funds to the ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) of government.

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, told reporters in Abuja yesterday that the presidency was being methodical in its implementation of the budget and attributed the perceived delay in the release of funds to the MDAs to the need to observe due process.

Besides, he said another problem affecting the quick release of funds appropriated for the 2012 fiscal year, was the non-availability of funds, as more than N1 trillion of the budget needed to be borrowed for its implementation.

His defence came ahead of today’s scheduled appearance of the Minister of Finance and the Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, before the Senate to explain how the presidency has been implementing this year’s Appropriation Act.

He said the presidency could not order the mass release of the appropriated funds to the MDAs because their receipt of funds was dependent on their capacity to manage the huge release of funds.

According to him, to release such funds without due process is to short circuit the laws passed by the National Assembly, which requires specific conditions before contracts are awarded.

He, however, assured Nigerians that the level of the budget’s execution would have risen to between 70 and 80 per cent by the end of the year.

“This budget, if we go by what the House of Representatives claim that all that the Federal Government has done by July 30 was 34 per cent that means that the Federal Government has utilised 34 per cent of the budget in just two-and-half months.

“A budget is supposed to be for a whole year. That means that in the next nine-and-half months, even going by the same pace, it would have hit 70 per cent. This pace will even increase. This year, there is no way it will not hit at least between 70 and 80 per cent,” he added.

According to him, “Before any contract is awarded, there are certain conditions that must be met. Some of these include the mandatory 12 weeks announcement and expression of interest and the due process before the contract is awarded.

“This process is part of the laws of the federation passed by the National Assembly and it cannot be short-circuited.”
Giving details of the implementation of budgets in the last few years, Okupe said the 2007, 2008 and 2009 budgets were implemented up to 70 per cent, while for the 2010 budget, N900 billion out of some N1.4 trillion budgeted for capital expenditure, was released to the MDAs.

He said government was working assiduously to achieve the faithful implementation of the budget, adding that as part of the efforts, ministers had been taking their turn to brief President Goodluck Jonathan on the implementation of the budget as it affects each ministry.

“The most recent of such exercise was two days ago when the Ministers of Health and Agriculture took their turn.

“Now, this budget was signed into law around the middle of April. Between then and July 20, N404 billion or so had been released and about N300 billion plus has been expended.

“The ministries said that 56 per cent of what had been released has been expended. But the Assembly is saying that because money has been budgeted, it ought to be released as per the quarter they are due.

“Though this is fiscally unadvisable, no serious manager of a nation’s resources will dispense money in that manner.

“Besides, I want to bring up the fact that there is a budget deficit of over a trillion naira in the budget. The implication of which is some part of the money required to fund the budget will be borrowed.

“So it does not make economic sense to borrow money and give the MDAs when they have not exhausted the money given them before as government will be paying interest of up to 15 per cent on money that will just be sitting in the bank for the MDAs waiting to be applied,” he explained.

He added that money is disbursed by the Federal Ministry of Finance, stressing that at the end of every quarter or month, not all the money that is required is available and intact.

“There are issues about accounts receivable from the NNPC and so on and it is not always a free flow. But what is true is that there is no department or ministry in Nigeria today that is unable to perform because it lacks fund. Virtually all of them still have substantial funds in their capital budget accounts with the CBN,” he said.

He appealed to the National Assembly to bear with the presidency as both arms of government are working towards the well-being of Nigerians.

“The current misunderstanding between the Federal Ministry of Finance and the National Assembly is not necessary. I am convinced beyond doubt that the National Assembly means well for the Nigerian people.

“The driving force of both arms of the National Assembly and the presidency is to ensure that the budget is implemented and executed to provide impetus for economic growth and the development of the country. The bandying of statistics and figures about the implementation is not necessary,” he added.
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by PointB: 10:24am On Aug 02, 2012
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by jmaine: 10:45am On Aug 02, 2012
Doyin na fire fighter i swear . . . . .See as him straff those ediots severely cheesy

PointB: Giving details of the implementation of budgets in the last few years, Okupe said the 2007, 2008 and 2009 budgets were implemented up to 70 per cent, while for the 2010 budget, N900 billion out of some N1.4 trillion budgeted for capital expenditure, was released to the MDAs.

Am sure the NASS will believe the above simply because they fed fat on their own share

So much for being on the side of the people . . .

P:S ====> Doyin na potent slasher grin
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by PointB: 10:51am On Aug 02, 2012
jmaine: Doyin na fire fighter i swear . . . . .See as him straff those ediots severely cheesy

Am sure the NASS will believe the above simply because they fed fat on their own share

So much for being on the side of the people . . .

P:S ====> Doyin na potent slasher grin

Na so. But now that the overflowing tap of chopulation money is being regulated, they want to 'fight for Nigerians.' Na wa oo. grin grin grin
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by jmaine: 11:04am On Aug 02, 2012
PointB:

Na so. But now that the overflowing tap of chopulation money is being regulated, they want to 'fight for Nigerians.' Na wa oo. grin grin grin

You dey mind them and their fans . . . .I dey wait for those perennial wailing,screaming and nay saying horde's to walk in . . .

Will be nice hearing their own vain attempt, to twist the obvious hand twisting moves by our Dishonorable Legislathieves cheesy . . . .
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by jmaine: 12:25pm On Aug 02, 2012
Where are the usual hordes ? . . . .
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by Kobojunkie: 12:33pm On Aug 02, 2012
It is August 2012, and we are still being inundated with the same old mind-numbing excuses, and here I thought yar adua was dead and buried. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 02, 2012
Attention: Doyin Okupe is now in full swing. Reuben Abati will second-chair henceforth. Up Team Fresh Air!!! cheesy grin
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 02, 2012
But seriously, I think he's right. Though I'm no fan of the current administration, I wouldn't expect 100% implementation because humans ain't perfect.

My issue with national budgets, however, has always been the capital-recurrent ratio. Maybe Dr Okupe can spin another excuse for that one too. Go ahead sir, nothing do you. cool
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by Kobojunkie: 1:05pm On Aug 02, 2012
“This process is part of the laws of the federation passed by the National Assembly and it cannot be short-circuited.”
Giving details of the implementation of budgets in the last few years, Okupe said [b]the[size=13pt] 2007, 2008 and 2009 [/size][/b]budgets were implemented up to 70 per cent, while for the 2010 budget, N900 billion out of some N1.4 trillion budgeted for capital expenditure, was released to the MDAs.

2007, 2008, and 2009 were Yar adua years. Pray tell, are we suggesting that Baba go-slows standard are the best we can manage even after almost 2.5 years of supposedly working to clean up corruption in the system?
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by PointB: 1:07pm On Aug 02, 2012
HNosegbe: But seriously, I think he's right. Though I'm no fan of the current administration, I wouldn't expect 100% implementation because humans ain't perfect.

My issue with national budgets, however, has always been the capital-recurrent ratio. Maybe Dr Okupe can spin another excuse for that one too. Go ahead sir, nothing do you. cool

I also don't like the ratio.
But let government attempt cutting it down, by reducing the number of Ministries, and MDA, or cutting down on salaries and allowances. Guess, who will first oppose such move?
Yes, you guessed right - National Assembly, and the Labour Unions.

The NA will reject serious cut to their allowance and perks, while the Labour Union will insist the attendant 'retrenchment' will lead to massive unemployment. The solution remains making the center and government employment unattractive.
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by iykak47: 2:16pm On Aug 02, 2012
Doyin Okupe is firing on all cylinders, he doesn't want to waste time. grin grin
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by jmaine: 2:21pm On Aug 02, 2012
iykak47: Doyin Okupe is firing on all cylinders, he doesn't want to waste time. grin grin

Na RPG's Bros Okupe dey shell grin . . . .and the guy target aim precision na die cool . . .
Re: Presidency: Why There Is No Mass Release Of Budget Funds by bashr8: 5:28pm On Aug 02, 2012
first GEJ cut their salaries and now he is going to cut all the loop holes where they make mega millions ,i no blame them sha if i were in their shoes i will fight GEJ back with all i have. grin.

(1) (Reply)

Who is The Worst South East Governor / See What Is Happening In Nigeria / BIAFRAN ZIONIST Movement.........november Schedule!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.