Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,145 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Which Other African Attire Do You Like? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Other African Attire Do You Like? (35790 Views)

Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos) / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 03, 2012
How did my question about gele turn into yoruba vs igbo war? grin

I'm more convinced now that the damn country needs to break up into pieces, and everybody needs to start bearing their father's name..

Can't wait to see all Ijebu people reunited as a single entity, from Lagos, Ogun, to our Itsekiri cousins in Delta state... grin

Lagos is the capital of our new republic!!

Lagos boy!!!! cool
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by BlackKenichi(m): 4:36pm On Aug 03, 2012
I like Ghanaian Kente cloths. They're so colourful and vibrant!

2 Ghanaian men wear their Kente cloth with pride!

A bunch of Ghanaian women rocking the kente dresses! *in a camp Afram voice* "work it honey!"
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by onila(f): 4:42pm On Aug 03, 2012
Black Kenichi: I like Ghanaian Kente cloths. They're so colourful and vibrant!

2 Ghanaian men wear their Kente cloth with pride!

A bunch of Ghanaian women rocking the kente dresses! *in a camp Afram voice* "work it honey!"

i love the ghanaian chief attires smiley

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by BlackKenichi(m): 4:53pm On Aug 03, 2012
I have to say. You Nigerians are some of the most fashionable and best dressed people on the continent. Whether you're wearing traditional or western clothing, you guys (and gals) look good!

2 Likes

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 03, 2012
Black Kenichi: I have to say. You Nigerians are some of the most fashionable and best dressed people on the continent. Whether you're wearing traditional or western clothing, you guys (and gals) look good!

You guys need to stop blowing your own trumpets...

Traditional attire - without being biased, I'll say Yoruba women are the most flamboyant - the rest are just decent as the other women around Africa. I can throw the Edos in there as well with Yoruba women..

Western attire - Zimbabwe women are head and shoulders above Nigerian women...

Stop throwing the best in Africa around, till you meet women from other countries, mate... undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by anonymous6(f): 5:08pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Namibia

Namibian women are beautiful
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by onila(f): 5:10pm On Aug 03, 2012
shymmex:

Traditional attire - without being biased, I'll say Yoruba women are the most flamboyant - the rest are just decent as the other women around Africa. I can throw the Edos in there as well with Yoruba women..

Stop throwing the best in Africa around, till you meet women from other countries, mate... undecided undecided undecided

yoruba girls can demolish zimbabwe girls in western dressing

and all the Nigerian tribes wear gele not only yoruba. it has become a Nigerian thing

see a hausa girl pulling off a yoruba attire. .all the Nigerian tribe ladies look flambouyant just as yoruba women in trad attires

1 Like

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 03, 2012
Just because other Nigerians wear it doesn't make it a "Nigerian" thing lol. New designs are periodically being created by Yorubas.

Jeans, which is worn arcoss the globe, is still a North American thing. It was created for American miners, but now it's being worn all over the globe.

cool

Where are my Ninja warriors from yesterday sef grin
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ghana!!

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by onila(f): 5:17pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Just because other Nigerians wear it doesn't make it a "Nigerian" thing lol. New designs are periodically being created by Yorubas.

Jeans, which is worn arcoss the globe, is still a North American thing. It was created for American miners, but now it's being worn all over the globe.

cool

Where are my Ninja warriors from yesterday sef grin

ITS just like nollywood which is an igbo dominated thing but every Nigerian reps nollywood
Ogbono is a niger delta soup but its eaten by all Nigerians
Nigeria is a country of many tribes. its OK we borrown things from each other

3 Likes

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by BlackKenichi(m): 5:18pm On Aug 03, 2012
Traditional Nigerian attire rocks. I especially like Hausa turbans and Nigerian women wearing their Geles!
If I had Nigerian wife, I wouldn't want her to wear anthing but a Gele.......... and a smile! wink grin kiss
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 03, 2012
Black Kenichi: Traditional Nigerian attire rocks. I especially like Hausa turbans and Nigerian women wearing their Geles!
If I had Nigerian wife, I wouldn't want her to wear anthing but a Gele.......... and a smile! wink grin kiss

grin
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 03, 2012
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by anonymous6(f): 5:24pm On Aug 03, 2012
shymmex:

True Yoruba women are the best with traditional attire followed by edo's then igbo but when it comes to western attire it depends, I have seen some fashion mistakes from both ends when it comes to dressing.

When it comes to the Gele debate well I think Yoruba's are one of the tribes who brought about its genesis but are not the only tribe. However I dont think(actually a fact to me) Hausa had any imput in it(Gele), only southern Nigerin tribes, but now it has become a Nigerian thing which is a fact, only Nigerians can claim it.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by member58: 5:27pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

that comment is not clear. designs as how? designs of the damask that the gele is tied with? are the damask produced in nigeria?
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by BlackKenichi(m): 5:27pm On Aug 03, 2012
shymmex:

Blowing my own trumpet implies that I'm "bigging" my self up. Try harder!
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by anonymous6(f): 5:28pm On Aug 03, 2012
onila:

ITS just like nollywood which is an igbo dominated thing but every Nigerian reps nollywood
Ogbono is a niger delta soup but its eaten by all Nigerians
Nigeria is a country of many tribes. its OK we borrown things from each other

True but the problem with Nollywood is it has become broad including the yoruba film industry, hausa film industry and etc. So it depends on the lnaguage but in general like you said the Nollywood people really know is the english one which is controlled by igbos; majority wise
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by onila(f): 5:33pm On Aug 03, 2012
anonymous6:

True but the problem with Nollywood is it has become broad including the yoruba film industry, hausa film industry and etc. So it depends on the lnaguage but in general like you said the Nollywood people really know is the english one which is controlled by igbos; majority wise

my African friends say they love our gele "Onila, the huge scarf you wear on your head" grin I guess they dont know its a yoruba attire but a National dress worn by all Nigerian females.

the same way outsiders see Nollywood and say we Love Nigerian movies. .but we all know is dominated by ....
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 03, 2012
anonymous6:
True Yoruba women are the best with traditional attire followed by edo's then igbo but when it comes to western attire it depends, I have seen some fashion mistakes from both ends when it comes to dressing.

When it comes to the Gele debate well I think Yoruba's are one of the tribes who brought about its genesis but are not the only tribe. However I dont think(actually a fact to me) Hausa had any imput in it(Gele), only southern Nigerin tribes, but now it has become a Nigerian thing which is a fact, only Nigerians can claim it.

Even the name 'gele' sounds Yoruba, and I've seen pictures of 17th century Yoruba women wearing it... Edo women wear beads on their heads - and Igbo women NEVER used to wear head tie back in the day - they probably started wearing it after the white people came...

Just ignore the tribalists who like claiming everything as their own.. undecided undecided
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 03, 2012
Black Kenichi:
Blowing my own trumpet implies that I'm "bigging" my self up. Try harder!

Are you not Nigerian?

So, you're definitely blowing your own trumpet by 'bigging' up your country... undecided undecided
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by onila(f): 5:41pm On Aug 03, 2012
shymmex:

Are you not Nigerian?

So, you're definitely blowing your own trumpet by 'bigging' up your country... undecided undecided

hes british, dumb, dumb grin
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 03, 2012
Conclusion:

GELE IS A YORUBA ATTIRE WHICH LATER BECAME A SOUTHERN NIGERIAN ATTIRE!!!

If you've got a problem with the statement, let's debate it... I've got pictures of 17th century Yoruba, Igbo, Edo, Efik etc. women - and we should be able to see what they had on their heads...

Some people just like arguing like re.tards!! undecided undecided
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 03, 2012
onila:

hes british, dumb, dumb grin

The fool isn't a briton.. undecided
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by onila(f): 5:42pm On Aug 03, 2012
shymmex:

Even the name 'gele' sounds Yoruba, and I've seen pictures of 17th century Yoruba women wearing it... Edo women wear beads on their heads - and Igbo women NEVER used to wear head tie back in the day - they probably started wearing it after the white people came...

Just ignore the tribalists who like claiming everything as their own.. undecided undecided

we all know it came from yoruba land but its now a Nigerian thing. .stop making something lil = complicated
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 03, 2012
onila:

we all know it came from yoruba land but its now a Nigerian thing. .stop making something lil = complicated

But didn't that mongrel, stillwater argue blindly about it not being a Yoruba attire?
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by onila(f): 5:47pm On Aug 03, 2012
shymmex:

The fool isn't a briton.. undecided

why r u calling him a foo-

stop acting like a typical person from oduduwa yoruba-the insultive genes undecided
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Fulaman198(m): 5:56pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Nigerian Fulani.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 03, 2012
onila:
why r u calling him a foo-

stop acting like a typical person from oduduwa yoruba-the insultive genes undecided

Only a fool would claim he's something that he's not..

Is the guy a Briton? Hell Nah!!! He's a Nigerian living in the UK - he wasn't born here.

And you need to keep 'oduduwa' out of your post, that's disrespectful...
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Fulaman198(m): 6:00pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Mali

[img]http://everythingspossible.files./2008/06/p5030127.jpg[/img]

Mali Fulani
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by onila(f): 6:00pm On Aug 03, 2012
shymmex:

Only a fool would claim he's something that he's not..

Is the guy a Briton? Hell Nah!!! He's a Nigerian living in the UK - he wasn't born here.

And you need to keep 'oduduwa' out of your post, that's disrespectful...

hes a caribbean guy from the UK not Nigeria

no need 2 be insultive when you are not even sure where hes from undecided

I am sure you have 2 apologize just the way you had to say sorry 2 Mzdarkskin

when I see the Yoruba yoruba insultive evil spirit manifesting I had 2 call it out and rebuke the demon angry
its sad some of you cant just stop it
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by member58: 6:00pm On Aug 03, 2012
this is the problem when a word from a group is adopted for something over other words from other groups. the group from which the word was adopted starts claiming invention. gele means headscarf nothing more, nothing less. other groups have their words for headscarf. hell, even fulani women tie their hair and im sure they would have a word for it thats if the word has not been rendered obsolete thanks to the almighty gele. grin

but tying hair with damask, im not sure how that started.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 03, 2012
I saw a video, and I asked a question - but trust Igbo people to always turn everything small thing into superiority battles - with half-truths and innuendos...

But thank God for the internet, I was able to get the RIGHT answer to my question...

I still don't know why Yoruba and Igbo people like competing about every damn thing......

You're two different people with different cultures.. undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! / The Message A Man Received From A Nigerian And An Argentinian Lady Over Culture / Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.