Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,166 members, 7,957,349 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:22 AM

Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality (1080 Views)

If You Lose The Election, Accept Defeat – Jonathan Tells Tanzanian Politicians / You Can’t Threaten Me, Jonathan Tells Northern Elders / GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality by Ovularia: 12:39am On Aug 03, 2012
Dump slave mentality, Jonathan tells T& T nationals
By Vincent Ikuomola 7 hours 45 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
President Jonathan President Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan has challenged the people of Trinidad and Tobago especially the blacks to drop the slave mentality and play critical roles in the world of commerce, economics, science and technology, even as he said that past experience should produce leaders.

The president in his message at the Lidj Omowale Emancipation Village, Queens Park Savannah for the Emancipation Day Culture Programme, regretted that Nigeria has not been following religiously the celebration of the day with citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, despite moving for the day to be recognized in 2006 at the African Union.

Jonathan, who noted that both countries share strong ancient’s links, said his visit was to reassure them that the country identifies with their struggle.

He said that blacks all over the world has passed through several challenges from slavery, colonialism and apartheid in South Africa, adding that the balkanization and partitioning which has led to people of the same culture being placed in different countries, is responsible for the continued struggle by some African states today.

Citing the case of the Israelites, Jonathan said they were enslaved but did get to the Promised Land and led by a great leader, Moses.

He told the people of Trinidad and Tobago that it was time to move to the Promised Land not in terms of geographical location but in internationally recognized achievements in the areas of science and technology, industry, commerce, and economics.

"I'm here not to make a speech today but I'm here to bring our good will message from your brothers and sisters from the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I am here to tell you clearly that your brother country Nigeria fully identifies with you on this emancipation struggle.

"In 2006 when President Olusegun Obasanjo was the head of state of our country, he moved during one of the African Union meetings, that the whole of Africa should celebrate the emancipation day with the people of Trinidad and Tobago and it was adopted by the AU.

"Somehow, we have not been following it religiously but I can tell you that, that is one of the reason I'm here today as promised in Australia when the Prime Minister and I met, to identify clearly with our brothers and sisters from Trinidad and Tobago.

"It is only proper for us to note that the black man all over the world has passed through several challenges from slavery, colonialism and apartheid in South Africa. Even for those of us still living in the continent of Africa, we are so partitioned and bulkanised without our interest and in some cases people of the same culture are placed in two, three different countries. That is even still a challenge to us today which is why we are still struggling to govern our states in Africa,” the president said.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/56097-dump-slave-mentality-jonathan-tells-t-t-nationals.html
Re: Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality by PhysicsQED(m): 1:38am On Aug 03, 2012
Did he really say something as offensive as "drop the slave mentality" anywhere in his actual speech?

Or was it just lousy Nigerian journalists at work again?
Re: Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality by antitpiah: 1:54am On Aug 03, 2012
^^^

Ovularia:
"It is only proper for us to note that the black man all over the world has passed through several challenges from slavery, colonialism and apartheid in South Africa. Even for those of us still living in the continent of Africa,[size=18pt] we are so partitioned and bulkanised without our interest[/size] and in some cases people of the same culture are placed in two, three different countries. That is even still a challenge to us today which is why we are still struggling to govern our states in Africa,” the president said.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/56097-dump-slave-mentality-jonathan-tells-t-t-nationals.html

When a reporter writes that shoddily . . . such a reporter isnt worth his salt.

It is Ashiwaju's newspaper, what will they not write to discredit the poor thing.
Re: Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality by Nobody: 4:01am On Aug 03, 2012
"I'm here not to make a speech today but I'm here to bring our good will message from your brothers and sisters from the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I am here to tell you clearly that your brother country Nigeria fully identifies with you on this emancipation struggle..."

lol...
Re: Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality by Nobody: 4:03am On Aug 03, 2012
PhysicsQED: Did he really say something as offensive as "drop the slave mentality" anywhere in his actual speech?

Or was it just lousy Nigerian journalists at work again?

LOL...smh.
Re: Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality by Murphy7h4: 4:03am On Aug 03, 2012
Thanks a lot
Re: Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality by Clerverly: 7:34am On Aug 03, 2012
That will be after you drop your Cassava Mentality grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 03, 2012
lmao..
Re: Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality by Chyz2: 2:22pm On Aug 03, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

lol...

What an Irony right? So far the only people in nigeria to identify with jamaica is Igbos.
Re: Jonathan Tells Trinidad & Tobago Nationals To Dump Slave Mentality by Chyz2: 2:23pm On Aug 03, 2012
He's talking about dropping a mentality that he is 100% guilty of having.

(1) (Reply)

What Exactly Is Wrong With Our Government? / Bakassi People Hold Rallies In Different Parts Of The World Today. / Documents Contradict Achebe's "There Was A Country" On Facts Of Biafra Genocide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.