Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... (9417 Views)

Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh / Does The Quran Permit Suicide? / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 12:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ayah 35

Waqulna ya adamu oskun anta wazawjuka aljannata wakula minha raghadan haythu shi/tuma wala taqraba hathihi alshshajarata fatakoona mina alththalimeena

Usually translated (Pickthal):And We said: O Adam! Dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden, and eat ye freely (of the fruits) thereof where ye will; but come not nigh this tree lest ye become wrong-doers.

Waqulna ya adamu oskun anta wazawjuka aljannata

And we said then: Adam, you and your spouse settle in Jannah

The word oskun used does not imply permanent residence; Allah has already declared something earlier, that man was created for the earth. The word also comes fromsakina and implies be in tranquility, you and your spouse.

Also, the language implies that man was placed in jannah, he was created and then 'relocated' to jannah.

So Adam was told: Adam, you and your spouse settle in Jannah

In other words,Adam, you relay my instruction to your wife... Adam was addressed and through Adam he addressed our mother...

This is a culture within the household, The messenger was commanded to instruct his wives in the Quran.

EX: Prophet, say to your wives, ‘If your desire is for the present life and its finery, then come, I will make provision for you and release you with kindness (Surah 33:28)

Men have been given responsibility over the household so when instructions are passed to the household by Allah, He didn't instruct both of them. He instructed Adam.

Allah gave men and women rights; they are not equal rights... In certain things, Allah has given men an advantage and in other things the women have been given the advantage. They are not the same creature so giving them equal rights would not even be justice.

There is difference between justice and equality. Equality means everyone gets equal but what if someone deserves something different and the other deserves something different. In which areas, did Allah give men an advantage and in which areas did he give women an advantage. Allah has promised the best thing to everyone.

At the end of the day, Allah is the master, You know just like in an organisation, you have the boss, managers and employees. The manger is also an employee and he has to answer to the boss. SO he is also answerable, he is not an owner himself.

Just like in a household, the head of the household has the managerial position. He is NOT the owner of the house just the head of the house. Allah is the owner. So when the head of the household understands that, They know that they can't act however they want with the people under them because they are not the authority, Allah is. When we get to the divorce ayah later in this surah, we will see when Allah warns the man who abuses his wife, 'who do you think you are, you are not the authority"

wakula minha raghada haythu shi/tuma

and eat from it carefree (whatever you like) from wherever you may want

basically don't worry about it, eat from what you like

wala taqraba hathihi alshshajarata

But don't go near this one tree

Do not go near this tree,

Hathihi is a closer pointer, so they were close to it when this instruction was given so they are supposed to run off right away. So they had a good look at the tree and knew it well.

fatakoona mina alththalimeena

If you do so, then you will be of the wrongdoers

Everything is permissible to you, there is just this one thing, i have made impermissible.. That is the same with the world..

Allah made everything permissible for Adam but warned him not to go near a tree, everything else is fine.. The beginning of Islamic law, one thing is haram.. There are not a ton of things that are haram, just a handful. Everything else enjoy it on the earth.
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 3:36pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ayah 36

Faazallahuma alshshaytanu AAanha faakhrajahuma mimma kana feehi waqulna ihbitoo baAAdukum libaAAdin AAaduwwun walakum fee al-ardi mustaqarrun wamataAAun ila heenin

Usually translated (Yusuf Ali):Then did Satan make them slip from the (Garden) and get them out of the state (of felicity) in which they had been. We said: "Get ye down all (ye people) with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling place and your means of livelihood for a time."

Faazallahuma alshshaytanu AAanha faakhrajahuma mimma kana feehi waqulna ihbitoo baAAdukum libaAAdin AAaduwwun walakum fee al-ardi mustaqarrun wamataAAun ila heenin

Then shaitan caused both of them to slip from the commandment and they got expelled from the state they were in. We said: Descend from here all of you, one group will be enemies to the other group. And on the earth with be a temporary place of rest for you and utilities until a given time..

The first thing to note is that shaitan caused both Adam and Hauwa(Eve) to slip. The blame is not placed on only Hauwa(Eve), rather both parties carry the burden. This is different from the christian theology that blames it all on Eve.

Shaitan made them get close to the tree, When you get close to sin what happens ? You can't handle it.. You get close to trouble, you fall into trouble

Young men would say: No, No, I can control myself, we are just talking

It doesn't work like that, talking goes further and leads to other things... Once you get close to sin, you get sucked in

Same thing with bad habits and bad company.. You start a little and you get sucked in entirely.. That is what we are learning here..

A profound point in story of Adam and Shaitan

You know, Allah already said He created Adam for the earth, that was the first annoucement, before any of these happened and shaitan made him slip, the announcement was that he was created for the earth.

Allah made this announcement to the angels, He didn't say it to Adam . Adam was not created when the announcement was made to the angels.. Allah expressed His plan to create Adam and put him on the earth as a Khalifa. The plan was shared with the angels.

Iblees, a jinn was in the ranks of the angels, Therefore Iblis knows that Adam was created for the earth. So Iblis and all the angels know that Adam was created for the earth.

But Allah does not put him on the earth, does He? Allah told us He created him for the earth but He put him in Jannah. That's strange..

Iblis comes along and says: "Hey, you know that tree you are not supposed to go near, Let me tell us something, You were created for the earth. The only people that get to stay here are people that are either angels or permanent residents. " So shaytan tells them that the tree will cement their place in Jannah

In Surah Araf we see this:

Satan whispered to them so as to expose their unclothedness, which had been hidden from them: he said, ‘Your Lord only forbade you this tree to prevent you becoming angels or permanent residents,’ and he swore to them, ‘I am giving you sincere advice’– (Surah 7 20-21)

What attracts Adam/Hauwa to eat from the tree? Answer: They don't want to go to the earth..

Shaitan puts this idea in their head that from eating this tree is going to prevent their eventual fate...

What is the punishment after eating from the tree? Allah says: Descend from here all of you, one group will be enemies to the other group. And on the earth with be a temporary place of rest for you and utilities until a given time..

Now wait a second:

Adam (Alayhi Salam) could have said: Wait, this was the plan all along, this was all a set-up, I was supposed to go to the earth all along, It is not my fault i ate from the tree because either way i was going to end up on the earth.

This is important because

A lot of times people say: Allah already knows what i am going to do, How is it my fault?

Allah already knew Adam was going to go to the earth, How was it Adam's fault?

We are learning that this question of predestination, people think that they are so smart they just came up with it. That is the oldest question in philosophy.. These are the questions for people who do not want to face-up to reality.

The first human being was the first human being who could have asked that question, Adam could have asked that question but He doesn't... Rather He sought forgiveness..

Now, Iblis refused, the only thing mentioned in this surah is that He wanted to be great himself, ... In Surah Araf, we see more details, Shaitan tries to justify why he disobeyed Allah:

....he said, ‘I am better than him: You created me from fire and him from clay.’(Surah Araf:12)

Shaitan is saying here: You created me from fire therefore, i am clearly superior.,

Creatures like jinns that can travel into the stars are clearly more powerful than a human... It is a logical complaint.. Also he has been around for a longer time, Adam has no resume, he just got created.

Now, what am i saying?

Adam could have made a logical complaint but didn't and Iblis did make a logical complaint .. One believed and the other disbelieved

Logic when it comes to complaining against Allah is kufr. Adam and Iblis have a lot in common

i. Both creatures were honoured by Allah

ii. Both creatures disobeyed Allah

iii. Both creatures were given the opportunity to either repent or rationalize their mistake

The one who rationalizes his mistake is Iblis

The one who admits his wrong even if it was known to Allah, is the one that gets forgiven -Adam

One is cursed for eternity, the other is forgiven..

This story occurs 7 times in the Quran, and each time Allah reminds us that we have two choices, The choice of Adam or the choice of Iblis

So

i. It is either you are going to justify and rationalize your sins and give a logical explanation as to why you are sinning

or

ii. You are going to admit your wrong and stop, and seek forgiveness

That is the bottom line of this story.... If you do not understand this bottom line ... You have missed the entire point of this story. Make your choice today..

Assalam Aleikum

End Ayah 32-36
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 3:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
Comments and Questions are welcome
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 11:34am On Aug 16, 2012
There will no post for today and maybe tomorrow as well... Please share what you have benefited so far
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 11:26am On Aug 17, 2012
Amazing Quran resumes after a week Insha Allah...I would respond to Questions/suggestions whenever they come up
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by sino(m): 11:21pm On Aug 17, 2012
Guy! you are too gbasky grin
A thought-provoking approach to the understanding of the meaning of the Qur'an. Learnt a lot from this, especially surah Al-Fatha, reading it now makes me reflect more on the messages it carries...Iyaka N'abudu Wa iyak n'ast'eenu was my favorite, the need to struggle on our own part before seeking assistance...then ihidinaa sirata-l-mustaqeem, the importance of guidance and the importance of repetition wow Jazakumullah khayran bro.
Sura Baqorah was amazing, from faith to hypocrisy and forms of hypocrisy, the wonderful similitude Allah(SWT) uses to make His message clear...narration of the story of Adam(as) and hawau was revealing, after being told by shaitan(la) that his destination was earth from the onset he never protested,was never angry but seek forgiveness for His lord a true submitter to the will of Allah. i think i will still need to come back from time to time to reread this thread InshAlla.

Eid Mubarak To you and family

looking forward to resumption date InshAllah
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 5:21am On Aug 21, 2012
Eid Mubarak

JazakAllahu Khairan
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 6:51pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ayah 37

Fatalaqqa adamu min rabbihi kalimatin fataba AAalayhi innahu huwa alttawwabu alrraheemu

Then learnt Adam from his Lord words of inspiration and his Lord turned toward him; for He is Oft-Returning Most Merciful.

Fatalaqqa adamu min rabbihi kalimatin

Then Adam came into contact with words from his master

You know, The Quran is words from our master,and we recite the words from our master in order to earn His forgiveness.. Allah has given us words to seek his forgiveness and help

rabbana atina fee alddunya hasanatan wafee al-akhirati hasanatan waqina AAathaba alnnari (2:201)
Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the life to come and keep us safe from the torment of the Fire (2:201)

rabbana afrigh AAalayna sabran wathabbit aqdamana waonsurna AAala alqawmi alkafireena
Our Lord! Bestow on us endurance and make our foothold sure and give us help against those who reject faith. (2:250)

All of these supplications in the Quran are taught to us by the master..

Just like we have been given these words, Adam (AS) did not even know how to say sorry, He didn't even know what to say.. Allah is so merciful that he inspires him with the words to say to seek forgiveness, so not only does he forgive him, he gives him the words to say in order to obtain forgiveness... SubhanAllah!!

Interesting when it came to forgiveness, Allah only mentioned Adam, the father not Hauwa.. Why? Because the father takes responsibility for the household. It is not that she doesn't have to ask for forgiveness but Allah highlights the tawbah (repentance) of the husband because he was the one given the instruction first, He is in charge of the household, He has to make tawbah first..... It teaches the men of the household to take responsibility because they are going have to make tawbah for them too if they fall short of their responsibilities. Awesome!

fataba AAalayhi

Then He (Allah) turned back towards him

Allah forgave Adam

innahu huwa alttawwabu alrraheemu

Certainly, He is the one who continually accepts repentance, always merciful..

alttawwabu- the one who continually accepts repentance
Alraheem - always merciful

Your belief in these names are tested when you make mistakes and fall short of expectation. Allah's doors of repentance are always open.. His mercy is always there. Alraheem.. If you ask Allah for forgiveness, it is always going to be there for you..

1 Like

Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by vedaxcool(m): 7:08pm On Aug 22, 2012
Truly may Allah reward abundantly, I'm enjoying this perspective on Adam, it is quite deep and abundantly rich in details, ride on bros!
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 7:22pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ayah 38

Qulna ihbitoo minha jameeAAan fa-imma ya/tiyannakum minnee hudan faman tabiAAa hudaya fala khawfun AAalayhim wala hum yahzanoona

Usually translated (Yusuf Ali): We said: "Get ye down all from here; and if, as is sure, there comes to you guidance from Me" whosoever follows My guidance on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

Qulna ihbitoo minha jameeAAan

He said to them descend from here all of you all together

fa-imma ya/tiyannakum minnee hudan

Then if and when guidance comes to you from me

You know, Allah has already taught Adam (AS) wordly knowledge, acquired knowledge, names of things.. This is the second kind of knowledge; revealed knowledge.. guidance

faman tabiAAa hudaya fala khawfun AAalayhim wala hum yahzanoona

whoever follows that guidance, then they will have no fear on them and they will not be the ones that are grieving

Do you remember in the beginning of the surah? Allah mentioned guidance also... When he mentioned guidance, he mentioned two qualities that i told you to remember.. remember them:

i Muttaqun

ii. muflihoon

In this ayah, Allah describes those who follow guidance as

i. they will have no fear on them

ii. they will not be the ones that are grieving

So lets see the connection

i. who is a Muttaqun? Someone who protects himself, Someone who protects himself have nothing to fear, he has been saved from fear. Someone who is safe, there is no fear on them.

ii. Muflihoon- This refers to someone who succeeded; Someone who has succeeded as opposed to one who has failed... Success comes with happiness, failure comes with grief. When you fail, you are sad, when you succeed, you are happy...

So Allah says:
i. they will have no fear on them because they are Muttaqun

ii. they will not be the ones that are grieving because they are Muflihoon

Guidance is mentioned again and those two Characteristics are reiterated in different language.. SubhanaAllah #amazing quran
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba12345: 8:09pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ayah 39

Waallatheena kafaroo wakaththaboo bi-ayatina ola-ika as-habu alnnari hum feeha khalidoona

Usually translated (Yusuf Ali):"But those who reject Faith and belie Our Signs, they shall be Companions of the Fire; they shall abide therein."

Waallatheena kafaroo wakaththaboo bi-ayatina

But those who disbelieve and have lied against Our miraculous signs

Allah has already spoken about those who stubbornly disbelieve earlier and what happens to them in this world (deaf, dumb and blind), now Allah talks about what happens in the hereafter...

ola-ika as-habu alnnari hum feeha khalidoona

Those are the people of fire, in that fire, they are going to remain

In the story of Adam and Iblis, Allah reminds us that the promise of us following the guidance and then being in a position of safety, That promise is not new to the messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him), it started with Adam (alayhi salam).

So when that promise is made; We found out earlier in Ayah 27

Allatheena yanqudoona AAahda Allahi min baAAdi meethaqihi

Those who violate the promise of Allah much after it was taken

Part of that promise is what was made to Adam; "whoever follows that guidance, then they will have no fear on them and they will not be the ones that are grieving"

No fear and no grief... That is the promise of Allah for those who follow the guidance when it comes but they violated it.

Link to Ayah 40

This is the first human being, after his society began, multiple societies sprung from it and from these societies, Allah chose one society to make them an example for all of humanity. A society who not only did Allah give guidance to... He will give them guidance over and over and over again.

He gave them messengers and prophets over and over again, messenger after messenger after messenger, Prophet after prophet after prophet... He wouldn't just give them one chance, He will give them chance after chance after chance so that they could become the role model for the rest of humanity.

That nation was the Children of Israel.

Now after the legacy of guidance from Adam (Alayhi Slam), the first man is mentioned , The nation that got guidance more than any other nation is mentioned right after and their legacy begins..

It is also important to note because the hypocrites had taken up the qualities of the children of Israel, claiming to belief but not actually believing, not showing loyalty to the messengers.

The muslims came in contact with the Jews in Medina... Many of the jews had refused to accept an Arab prophet because He was not from their race, He was not Jewish... The same kind of arrogance had already been highlighted by Iblees when He refused to bow to Adam

So now look at the connection

But those who disbelieve and have lied against Our miraculous signs, those are the people of fire, in that fire, they are going to remain

Speaking of which: Chidren of Israel......

See the connection, It is a warning directly to them....

this leads us to the next ayah-

End Ayah 37-39
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba12345: 8:46pm On Aug 22, 2012
vedaxcool: Truly may Allah reward abundantly, I'm enjoying this perspective on Adam, it is quite deep and abundantly rich in details, ride on bros!

JazakAllahu Khairan, This is all from Nouman, May Allah be pleased with him.. I am just a student trying to pass the message...
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 9:40am On Aug 24, 2012
Ayah 40

Ya banee isra-eela othkuroo niAAmatiya allatee anAAamtu AAalaykum waawfoo biAAahdee oofi biAAahdikum wa-iyyaya fairhabooni

Usually Translated (Yusuf Ali): O Children of Israel! call to mind the (special) favour which I bestowed upon you, and fulfil your covenant with Me as I fulfil My Covenant with you, and fear none but Me.

Ya banee isra-eela othkuroo niAAmatiya allatee anAAamtu AAalaykum

Children of Israel, Make mention of my favour that i showered upon you

When Allah said earlier that he created the earth for you and he provided for you, we said that he was instilling a sense of gratitude. A nation that should be grateful more than any other is not just the one that got food and drink on this earth, they got guidance upon guidance upon guidance, Messenger after messenger after messenger...

We are grateful for the final messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings be upon him) .. That nation should be grateful for all the prophets from Musa (Moses) (Alayhi Salam) all the way to the final Messenger Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him)... All the way, How much more grateful, they are supposed to be.

waawfoo biAAahdee oofi biAAahdikum

and fulfill my promise, I will fulfill my promise to you

Allah promise to Adam was whenever guidance comes, you will be fine.. and if you do follow the guidance, you are protected from fear and grief and

If you do not follow the guidance, you are going to get fear and grief..... Study the history of the israelites, you can qualify it with two adjectives, Fear and Grief...

The entire history can be characterised by two adjectives Fear and grief...

wa-iyyaya fairhabooni

and of me alone exclusively, you should be terrified of

Me, Me and only Me... That is extent of the emphasis in the ayah...

Allah is saying here, that you have done stuff before.. A normal human being should be cautious of Allah, but they should be terrified of Allah...

It is like saying: The kinds of stuff, you have been up to and the amount of ingratitude you have shown, you should go above the call of just fear....

Ayah 41

Waaminoo bima anzaltu musaddiqan lima maAAakum wala takoonoo awwala kafirin bihi wala tashtaroo bi-ayatee thamanan qaleelan wa-iyyaya faittaqooni

Usually Translated (Yusuf Ali): And believe in what I reveal, confirming the revelation which is with you, and be not the first to reject Faith therein, nor sell My Signs for a small price; and fear Me, and Me alone.

Waaminoo bima anzaltu

And believe in what i have sent down

We highlighted three types of belief earlier, (Check ayah 4) and we said that the belief in revelation/message is a major theme in this surah... Now look at this ayah, what is emphasised is the message...

Believing in the message means you have to believe in Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), Today we can say, that we believe in the Quran and the Quran and Messenger could be like two separate entities... At the time of the prophet, there was no difference because the Quran is coming out of the mouth of the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), so when you say i believe in revelation, It is the same as saying you believe in Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him)..

musaddiqan lima maAAakum

as a confirmer (a validation of truth) of what you already have

Whaen you hear him, your faith in your own revelation gets confirmed, you see him and you say : Truly, Allah did tell the truth...

wala takoonoo awwala kafirin bihi

And do not be the first in line to disbelieve in it

Iblis had been mentioned earlier, the root cause of the Israelites not accepting was arrogance even though it was obvious that this message was confirming what they already had...

'I am a superior nation,how can i accept someone from an inferior nation"

'I am made from fire, He is made from clay"

wala tashtaroo bi-ayatee thamanan qaleelan

and don't sell off my miraculous signs for such a small price

wa-iyyaya faittaqooni

And only and only me should you be protecting yourselves from

Basically Allah is saying: What are you protecting yourselves from Social ramifications or what your fellow Israelites is going to say, Is that what you are protecting yourself from? You should worry about protecting yourselves from me alone....
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 12:11pm On Aug 24, 2012
Ayah 42

Wala talbisoo alhaqqa bialbatili wataktumoo alhaqqa waantum taAAlamoona

Usually Translated (Yusuf Ali): And cover not Truth with falsehood, nor conceal the Truth when ye know (what it is).

Wala talbisoo alhaqqa bialbatili wataktumoo alhaqqa

Don't disguise truth with falsehood and by doing so hide the truth altogether and you

There is only one "La" (negation) in the sentence so it has the implication above ..

The first part of hiding the truth is that you mix truth and falsehood together; so Allah says that you do this so that you can hide the truth itself..

The truth itself is hidden by mixing it with falsehood..

waantum taAAlamoona

And you are the ones that know

This is a very important concept in the quran and we should understand it clearly;

People that have knowledge have power, and when people have knowledge more than what others have and people rely on them, they can cover it up and mix truth with falsehood....

Ex: you don't know much about cars, you go to a mechanic for an oil change; The mechanic can mix that truth with falsehood and add other things to the things you need. You need to change this or that... And he makes money from you...

He can do that because he has knowledge that you do not have. He can mix truth with falsehood...

The knowledgeable of the israelites have a truth that the ordinary population does not have... So when the common people come and ask them; : What do you think? sounds like the messenger predicted that you told us about...

The knoledgeable: No, it doesn't say that...bla bla bla

They mix the truth with the falsehood and the purpose is to hide the truth altogether...So the knowledgeable will know but hide it from their masses

Ayah 43

Waaqeemoo alssalata waatoo alzzakata wairkaAAoo maAAa alrrakiAAeena

And be steadfast in prayer; give Zakat, and bow down your heads with those who bow down (in worship).

Waaqeemoo alssalata waatoo alzzakata

Establish salat (ritual prayer) and give the Zakat (obligatory charity)

Allah tells the jews to re-establish the salat and give the obligatory charity; this is in line with the original commandment to the jews to pray the ritual prayer and give the obligatory charity.. Rites that had been abandoned by the jews at the time. The Quran commands them to revive these commandments.

In the beginnig of the surah, we learnt that Salat connects you to Allah and it gives you Taqwa (wanting to protect yourself), The previous ayah is a call to taqwa...

Zakat means purification, it purifies... You need to get clean so that you get ready for this revelation, Then they are told on top of that

wairkaAAoo maAAa alrrakiAAeena

and bow with those who bow

This implies that they should bow with the muslims

Rukoo means to bow...

The linguistic meaning of it is incredible, one of his meanings is to be 'overwhelmingly humbled" , overpowered, ... Rukoo is an expression that you are overpowered by Allah.. You recited Allah's words, the Quran and they were so overwhelming that you said "Allah is the greatest" (Allahu akbar), it humbled you and you just went down.

When a man has lost absolutely everything and he has nothing left, He is in rukoo... That is what the old Arab will say... That is the kind of powerlessness we are supposed to have in front of Allah.... There is no room left for arrogance because he has lost everything...

That is how we should be when we make rukoo...
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1235: 12:47pm On Aug 29, 2012
Amazing Quran resumes today Insha Allah... I apologise for the delay
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 7:03am On Oct 03, 2012
Ayah 44

Ata/muroona alnnasa bialbirri watansawna anfusakum waantum tatloona alkitaba afala taAAqiloona

Usually Translated (Oxford Translation): How can you tell people to do what is right and forget to do it yourselves, even though you recite the Scripture? Have you no sense?

This is one of the scariest ayat, when we read about the children of Israel and the hypocrites... We shouldn't be thinking of someone else, we should be thinking about ourselves. This is supposed to be the case.

The proof of that is not just in the statement of the sahaba, It is in Surah fatiha. We asked Allah to protect us from the path of those who have anger thrust on them and those who are lost. The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) described the first group as the behaviour of the jews and the second group, the behaviour of the christians..

The fact that we ask Allah not to be like that mean we have the possibility of becoming like that. So when you read what they were like, you should be thinking "oh my God, i better not become like this...

This is one of the scariest realisations in life especially in the life of an active muslim. A muslim that is trying to spread the words of Allah in any capacity, whether on a video, in the masjid, at a conference, on the streets, on nairaland wherever..

We prepare our talks and speeches but at the end of the day, it just becomes a performance for some of us. You use knowledge not for yourself but for others, you are ready to tell people good stuff but you forget about yourself. The people that it happens to the most are the people that command others to good. They are the ones most in danger. They tell people to do good but are never diagnosing themselves.

This is the scariest concept in the work of dawah,commanding people to do good and forgetting it yourself... It is easy to talk about but difficult to live by. This is why it is important to surround yourself with people that will keep you in check.

waantum tatloona alkitaba afala taAAqiloona

and you are the ones infact that are reading and following the book, why don't you then understand?

Why don't you apply your intellect?

The question is legitimate because it is talking to people of knowledge.. How come your knowledge does not lead to understanding? How can it be that you know something so well that you tell people about it but you still don't understand it?

But there is more to this discussion...

The word is 'akala which means 'to understand'... 'akl means intellect... But in old arabic, akl comes from the word ikal.... Ikal was a rope that the Arab will wrap around his head, nowadays they use a band to hold their scarves. However, In the olden days, it wasn't a security device for your scarf... When you travel, you travel with your camel.... The rope is used to tie the camel when they have breaks...

So they used the same word for the intellect as the rope used to hold the camel... What is the connection between the rope that holds an animal and the intellect?

They are saying that your intellect prevents you from doing silly things, It is like a rope that holds you back like it holds the animal back... If an animal doesn't have a rope, it will go wherever it wants, it will eat whatever it want, it will do whatever it wants. If humans didn't have intellect, we will say whatever we want, go whatever we want, do whatever we want... It is a sign of our intellect that we hold ourselves back... We constrain ourselves...

The intellect is supposed to tie up your emotions and keep them in check so that you can make rational decisions. When you are too happy. or too sad or angry... you are unable to think clearly. So you restrain your emotion so as to make a sound judgement..

As opposed to that, a jahil has no restraint over his emotions, so someone can be very intellectual and still be a jahil..
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by sino(m): 11:26am On Oct 10, 2012
Jazakumullah khayran for updating, this ayah is indeed scary, we do read the Qur'an, how much do we apply it in our daily lifes. May Allah assist us all amin.

Bro, i want you to expantiate on one being intellect and also a jahil. Thanks
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 12:42pm On Oct 10, 2012
sino: Jazakumullah khayran for updating, this ayah is indeed scary, we do read the Qur'an, how much do we apply it in our daily lifes. May Allah assist us all amin.

Bro, i want you to expantiate on one being intellect and also a jahil. Thanks

Wa iyyakum bro,

A smart person with an emotion bias is still a jahil in the Quranic sense..
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by sino(m): 10:08pm On Oct 13, 2012
tbaba1234:

Wa iyyakum bro,

A smart person with an emotion bias is still a jahil in the Quranic sense..
Hmmm, that means there is something wrong with his aql...at the end of the day, he is not that smart after all.
Jazaks.
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 7:44pm On Dec 07, 2012
Resuming Tomorrow Insha Allah, Please make dua!!
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 12:26am On Dec 10, 2012
Ayah 45

WaistaAAeenoo bialssabri waalssalati wa-innaha lakabeeratun illa AAala alkhashiAAeena

Usually translated (Pickhtall): Seek help in patience and prayer; and truly it is hard save for the humble-minded

WaistaAAeenoo bialssabri waalssalati

And seek help from patience and prayer

We learnt earlier that those without Aql are those with an emotional bias which prevents them from thinking clearly.

You see, people who don't understand don't need patience and prayer. Understanding is an intellectual matter. But here, we are learning that they do have an emotional bias and that emotional bias can only be cured by two things they need to get help from which is patience and prayer.

We have come across NaataAAeenoo in the fatiha and it means to seek help from something by putting yourself to work.

You can only qualify for Allah's help, if you can be patient and keep the salat. Keeping in mind that this is a conversation with bani Israel. Patience is been talked about because if they become muslim, they are going to have a lot of backlash from their community and at that time, they will need to seek help with patience and the salat is going to help them in such a difficulty.

wa-innaha lakabeeratun illa AAala alkhashiAAeena

It is certainly an enormity except for those who have khushoo

One opinion is that it refers to the salat: Getting help from salat is very difficult. Praying itself is not difficult but making the king of prayer that will help you that is difficult. It is only accomplished by those who have khushoo. Many people pray, but the ones who their prayer actually help them become a better person and commit themselves to truth and guidance, those are the people that have khushoo in their prayer.

That is one meaning..

Seeking help from patience and prayer is difficult in itself for any who don't have khushoo..

Now let talk about khushoo;

Khushoo is related to the words for fear in Arabic but it is a very specific kind of fear. It is a fear that overtakes you, keeps you in awe when you stand before a great power, realising how powerless you are and your muscles become numb.

That overwhelming sense of awe is khushoo.

People who have this in their salat are those that actually get help from their prayer.
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 1:08am On Dec 10, 2012
Ayat 46

Allatheena yathunnoona annahum mulaqoo rabbihim waannahum ilayhi rajiAAoona

Who bear in mind the certainty that they are to meet their Lord, and that they are to return to Him.

Allatheena yathunnoona annahum mulaqoo rabbihim

Those are the ones that are convinced that they are going to meet their master.

It is very beautiful that Allah connected the Khushoo in Salat with been convinced of meeting their master. Every salat is a meeting with our master. One with khushoo realises that, but someone without khushoo does not realise that.

For one who really understands what they are doing in salat, it is a practise drill for judgement day.

The word thunn in arabic refers to something, you are so convinced of, you don't have to think twice about it. It is a cornerstone in your thoughts.

waannahum ilayhi rajiAAoona

And they are going to be returning to Him

In Ayah 28, we read:

Kayfa takfuroona biAllahi wakuntum amwatan faahyakum thumma yumeetukum thumma yuhyeekum thumma ilayhi turjaAAoona

turjaAAoona here means you will be returned.

rajiAAoona here those who will return actively, In other words, because they have this khushoo in salat. they return to Allah voluntarily here and they will be returning to Allah voluntarily. They will not be forced to Allah, they will actively be going to Allah.

Instead of saying they will be returned to Allah, the ayah says they will return to Allah because they are doing that already in this dunya.

rajiaaoon is a noun, it is something permanent and for sure, They are absolutely convinced they are going back to Allah, every time they go to salat, it is a reminder that they will be going back to Allah.
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 11:40pm On Mar 05, 2013
A reminder
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 3:29pm On Jul 11, 2013
A reminder for Ramadan
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 3:19am On Aug 10, 2013
Ayah 47

Ya banee israeela othkuroo niAAmatiya allatee anAAamtu AAalaykum waannee faddaltukum AAala alAAalameena

Usually translated (Yusuf Ali): Children of Israel! call to mind the (special) favour which I bestowed upon you, and that I preferred you to all other (for My Message).

Ya banee israeela

Children of Israel

This is the second time that the children of Israel are called. Because they are called a second time, something has changed. The first time, they were invited, it was all positive reinforcement. This time, this ayah will be followed by passages detailing the crimes of the children of Israel. We are going to have Negative reinforcement.

The first time, they were told: Make salat, bow with those who bow, give zakat, seek help with patience and prayer.. al positive reinforcement.

Now we are going to notice a change in tone.We are going to have negative reinforcement.

othkuroo niAAmatiya allatee anAAamtu AAalaykum

Make mention of the favour that i bestowed upon you

The Quran constantly makes dawah to the Jewish community. It is something muslims should be doing. Unfortunately there is a hatred for jews in the muslim community particularly because of recent political events. You can not invite someone you hate. Dawah is done to a community that you are in dialogue with.

That dialogue is suppose to continue for the muslims today to both the Jewish and Christian communities.

waannee faddaltukum AAala alAAalameena

And I gave you preference over all nations and peoples of the world.

The question is how?

Adam was told earlier that guidance will come from Allah. The nation that was given the most guidance were the children of Israel. This was a preference to them.

Allah would in the following passages detail how preference was given to the children of Israel and how concessions not given to other nation were made for them.

Ayah 48

Waittaqoo yawman la tajzee nafsun AAan nafsin shayan wala yuqbalu minha shafaAAatun wala yukhathu minha AAadlun wala hum yunsaroona

Then guard yourselves against a day when one soul shall not avail another nor shall intercession be accepted for her, nor shall compensation be taken from her, nor shall anyone be helped (from outside).

Waittaqoo yawman

Usually translated (Yusuf Ali): Be cautious of a day

Allsh says have taqwa ... But instead of saying have taqwa of Allah. He says have taqwa of a day. They are at the lowest state now..

la tajzee nafsun AAan nafsin shayan

No person will be able to benefit any other person in any way whatsoever

Most nations that go corrupt do so because they develop false concepts of salvation. They feel like they are no longer responsible and someone will make a case for them. Allah is reminding them that no individual will provide help for another.

wala yuqbalu minha shafaAAatun

Neither any intercession or intercessor are going to be accepted

Imagine you get into trouble with your boss but there is a manager who is your uncle. Your uncle covers for you and intercedes on your behalf.

You can start taking your job in a lax way because of that. This is the concept of false intercession. You just have to make the middle man happy. That middle man could be Jesus (peace be upon him) or an idol or even the messenger (peace be upon him). So people figure that they can do whatever they want, they just have to praise the messenger of Allah.

This is what the children of Israel had developed in their minds given their history of prophets and their staus as the 'chosen nation'.

Then Allah says:

wala yukhathu minha AAadlun

And no compensation will be taken

The first thing when you are in trouble is to get a new lawyer or someone to make a case for you. That is out of it now. The next, maybe you can pay a penalty and avoid jail. Allah says: No compensation will be taken.

wala hum yunsaroona

and they are not going to be helped

Now no one to make a case and they can't even pay a penalty. The only thing left for them now is to cry: HELP!!! Allah tells us that that will be of no use either.

SubhanAllah

End Ayah 47-48
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by Ibnjurayj(m): 1:17pm On Aug 17, 2013
tbaba1234: Ayah 47

Ya banee israeela othkuroo niAAmatiya allatee anAAamtu AAalaykum waannee faddaltukum AAala alAAalameena

Usually translated (Yusuf Ali): Children of Israel! call to mind the (special) favour which I bestowed upon you, and that I preferred you to all other (for My Message).

Ya banee israeela

Children of Israel

This is the second time that the children of Israel are called. Because they are called a second time, something has changed. The first time, they were invited, it was all positive reinforcement. This time, this ayah will be followed by passages detailing the crimes of the children of Israel. We are going to have Negative reinforcement.

The first time, they were told: Make salat, bow with those who bow, give zakat, seek help with patience and prayer.. al positive reinforcement.

Now we are going to notice a change in tone.We are going to have negative reinforcement.

othkuroo niAAmatiya allatee anAAamtu AAalaykum

Make mention of the favour that i bestowed upon you

The Quran constantly makes dawah to the Jewish community. It is something muslims should be doing. Unfortunately there is a hatred for jews in the muslim community particularly because of recent political events. You can not invite someone you hate. Dawah is done to a community that you are in dialogue with.

That dialogue is suppose to continue for the muslims today to both the Jewish and Christian communities.

waannee faddaltukum AAala alAAalameena

And I gave you preference over all nations and peoples of the world.

The question is how?

Adam was told earlier that guidance will come from Allah. The nation that was given the most guidance were the children of Israel. This was a preference to them.

Allah would in the following passages detail how preference was given to the children of Israel and how concessions not given to other nation were made for them.

Ayah 48

Waittaqoo yawman la tajzee nafsun AAan nafsin shayan wala yuqbalu minha shafaAAatun wala yukhathu minha AAadlun wala hum yunsaroona

Then guard yourselves against a day when one soul shall not avail another nor shall intercession be accepted for her, nor shall compensation be taken from her, nor shall anyone be helped (from outside).

Waittaqoo yawman

Usually translated (Yusuf Ali): Be cautious of a day

Allsh says have taqwa ... But instead of saying have taqwa of Allah. He says have taqwa of a day. They are at the lowest state now..

la tajzee nafsun AAan nafsin shayan

No person will be able to benefit any other person in any way whatsoever

Most nations that go corrupt do so because they develop false concepts of salvation. They feel like they are no longer responsible and someone will make a case for them. Allah is reminding them that no individual will provide help for another.

wala yuqbalu minha shafaAAatun

Neither any intercession or intercessor are going to be accepted

Imagine you get into trouble with your boss but there is a manager who is your uncle. Your uncle covers for you and intercedes on your behalf.

You can start taking your job in a lax way because of that. This is the concept of false intercession. You just have to make the middle man happy. That middle man could be Jesus (peace be upon him) or an idol or even the messenger (peace be upon him). So people figure that they can do whatever they want, they just have to praise the messenger of Allah.

This is what the children of Israel had developed in their minds given their history of prophets and their staus as the 'chosen nation'.

Then Allah says:

wala yukhathu minha AAadlun

And no compensation will be taken

The first thing when you are in trouble is to get a new lawyer or someone to make a case for you. That is out of it now. The next, maybe you can pay a penalty and avoid jail. Allah says: No compensation will be taken.

wala hum yunsaroona

and they are not going to be helped

Now no one to make a case and they can't even pay a penalty. The only thing left for them now is to cry: HELP!!! Allah tells us that that will be of no use either.

SubhanAllah

End Ayah 47-48

Assalaamu Alaykum Akhee wajazaaka Allaahu khayraan for the posts.
But is it only me or the brother (Nouman Ali Khan) may Allaah preserve him, is not backing up his Tufaasir with hadiths like the way of our great Mufassiroon?
Wa Allaahu 'alam

Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by tbaba1234: 9:55pm On Aug 17, 2013
Ibnjurayj: Assalaamu Alaykum Akhee wajazaaka Allaahu khayraan for the posts.
But is it only me or the brother (Nouman Ali Khan) may Allaah preserve him, is not backing up his Tufaasir with hadiths like the way of our great Mufassiroon?
Wa Allaahu 'alam

Wa aleikum salam,

I think, you will have to supplement this with other tafsirs, this is just a first step one towards understanding the Quran, there is a lot more focus on the translations of classical arabic, coherence and interpretations given by the mufasiroon.

You will still have to go deeper on your own.

And Allah knows best.
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by Ibnjurayj(m): 11:55pm On Aug 17, 2013
tbaba1234:

Wa aleikum salam,

I think, you will have to supplement this with other tafsirs, this is just a first step one towards understanding the Quran, there is a lot more focus on the translations of classical arabic, coherence and interpretations given by the mufasiroon.

You will still have to go deeper on your own.

And Allah knows best.

Tayyib, may Allaah grant us the knowledge of the Qur'aan and islaam, so we can teach of our families. Lack of knowledge of islaam make our brothers and sisters deviate from islaam. Though, whoever Allaah guides no one can mislead him and he who Allaah let astray no one can guide him.

Wabillaahi Tawfeeq
Re: A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... by Nobody: 3:58am On Aug 19, 2013
Jazaakumllah khair. May Allah increase the teacher/s nd the teached in knowledge.
nd make us implement the Qur'an in our live as our Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم lived the life of the Qur'an.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Seven Reasons To Read The Glorious Quran / Gawat Still Missing Four Months On / How To Identify​ The Night Of Qadr(Night Of Majesty)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.