Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,912 members, 7,824,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ (805 Views)

Impeachment Threat: I Am Ready To Negotiate With APC Lawmakers — Fayose / Pdp Reaches-out To Tambuwal Over GEJ Impeachment Threat / Jonathan Reacts To Impeachment Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by NiceKid2(f): 3:05pm On Aug 04, 2012
The threat  by the House of Representatives to impeach President Goodluck Jonathan over “poor” budget implementation may fizzle out after all.

Findings indicate that the lawmakers  are not keen on removing the President.

They, however, insist that he “must” execute all the constituency projects of lawmakers built into the 2012 Appropriation Act.

This has been identified as “the real bone of contention between the executive and the legislative house.”

The House had on July 19 asked Jonathan to achieve 100 per cent budget implementation by Sept. 18 or face impeachment proceedings.

Findings by SATURDAY PUNCH showed that the threat was intended to be a “wake-up call” on the President and not that the lawmakers truly planned to remove him.

Investigations showed that 24 hours after the lawmakers gave the impeachment warning on July 19, some key figures in the House actually held a dinner with Jonathan at Aso Rock, Abuja.

During the dinner, the delegation were said to have discussed “eyeball-to-eyeball” with Jonathan, with both sides agreeing to work together.

Findings showed that the lawmakers insisted that their constituency projects were not negotiable.

This followed a breakdown of the projects in the budget, which allegedly indicated that some ministers had more projects than members of the National Assembly in their constituencies.

Funding for projects was also discovered to have been “skewed in favour of the projects initiated by the appointees of government, as against those put in the budget by the elected representatives of the people.”

Members at the session got a commitment from the President to direct the Finance Minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, to release funds for a “speedy implementation” of all projects in a bid to douse the tension between the House and Jonathan.

Following the session with Jonathan, heads of Ministries, Departments and Agencies reporting to the various House committees had told members  that they “received more money in the week after the impeachment threat than the months preceding the intervention by the lawmakers.”

SATURDAY PUNCH gathered that the House issued the impeachment threat out of “frustration by members, who had come under pressure from their constituencies over lack of infrastructure.”

Investigations showed that while it was not the desire of members to remove Jonathan, they had resolved to “remind him that if all entreaties fail, we have a last resort: he can be impeached.”

A key figure in the House spoke more on the grouse of lawmakers, “Nobody is interested in impeaching Mr. President, despite the fact that as individuals, some people don’t like him.”

“We won’t go to that extent (impeachment). Of what benefit will it be to anybody to impeach the President and create more problems in the land?"
Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by NiceKid2(f): 3:06pm On Aug 04, 2012
Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 04, 2012
As if they were ever going to impeach him in the first place.

Kinda reminds me of the Obasanjo era when every week, the word 'impeach' was the most heard word on Nigerian television. Impeach my black azz.
Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by NiceKid2(f): 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2012
pDude: As if they were ever going to impeach him in the first place.

Kinda reminds me of the Obasanjo era when every week, the word 'impeach' was the most heard word on Nigerian television. Impeach my black azz.
I WONDER O!
Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by Kobojunkie: 3:20pm On Aug 04, 2012
This is the time for those of you who have been mouthing off about how bad of a job your representatives have been doing to try to get them out of that seat. No matter which way you dice it, these men are there because of you and they continue to enjoy the life they do because of you, and the constitution puts the power to remove them straight in your own hands. Are you going to remove them or continue whining to fo0ls about them that you have representing you?
Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by kunlekunle: 5:22am On Aug 05, 2012
NOI should ask them to update her on their current project b4 releasing any money.
shes indirectly curbing corruption, but they will fight back.

she should advice them to focus on law making and not project implementation
Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by Kobojunkie: 5:40am On Aug 05, 2012
kunlekunle:
NOI should ask them to update her on their current project b4 releasing any money.
shes indirectly curbing corruption, but they will fight back.

she should advice them to focus on law making and not project implementation

Abeg, make you please spend time learning what is going on first before commenting. Reading this kin post dey give person headache as person no fit make heads of tales of what the heck is being said sef.
Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by Obiagu1(m): 7:05am On Aug 05, 2012
Nice-Kid:
The threat  by the House of Representatives to impeach President Goodluck Jonathan over “poor” budget implementation may fizzle out after all.

Findings indicate that the lawmakers  are not keen on removing the President.

They, however, insist that he “must” execute all the constituency projects of lawmakers built into the 2012 Appropriation Act.

This has been identified as “the real bone of contention between the executive and the legislative house.”

Now, this is the reason for all the noise.

1 Like

Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by jmaine: 8:10am On Aug 05, 2012
It was only the extremely ignorant who had dreams and fantasies over a possible impeachment . . . . People who understood the polity transparently, scoffed and laughed at the reps for fooling themselves and their new bred fans . . .

We all knew what their grouse was, hence we never gave a damn about their vague self serving inspired threat . . . .

Come Sep, am hoping to see and hear Femi Gbaja spit more fire accompanied by applause, when he commences or moves a motion for impeachment proceedings . . .

Bunch of thieves and rouges . . .
Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by kunlekunle: 3:30pm On Aug 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Abeg, make you please spend time learning what is going on first before commenting. Reading this kin post dey give person headache as person no fit make heads of tales of what the heck is being said sef.

someone yapped you on another thread that you type before you reason.
the issue at hand is project fund been held back, and consequently the house pressuring GEJ on impeachment.
i said NOI should ask them (lawmakers) about their previuos projects, how much was collected and the state of their project. Cant you reason she's intentionally holding the fund back.

see between the lines.
Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by Kobojunkie: 4:03pm On Aug 05, 2012
kunlekunle:

someone yapped you on another thread that you type before you reason.
the issue at hand is project fund been held back, and consequently the house pressuring GEJ on impeachment.
i said NOI should ask them (lawmakers) about their previuos projects, how much was collected and the state of their project. Cant you reason she's intentionally holding the fund back.

see between the lines.

Who 'yapped' you on another thread? Are you in primary school or something?

Project fund help back and consequently the house pressuring GEJ on impeachment? This is why I said you should go back and be sure you understand what is happening in your own country before rambling. Budget Implementation = Project fund held back? REALLY?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked And you throw in impeachment on top of that without evening making sure you understand the beginning of this all.

Your reasoning level is reason why I hold no hope when it comes to the so-called Nigerian youths. Many of them are still caught up in the agbero way of analyzing what is going on that it is easy to hoodwink them and their parents as a result.
Re: Reps May Soon Drop Impeachment Threat On President GEJ by kunlekunle: 5:43pm On Aug 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:
Who 'yapped' you on another thread? Are you in primary school or something?

Project fund help back and consequently the house pressuring GEJ on impeachment? This is why I said you should go back and be sure you understand what is happening in your own country before rambling. Budget Implementation = Project fund held back? REALLY?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked And you throw in impeachment on top of that without evening making sure you understand the beginning of this all.

Your reasoning level is reason why I hold no hope when it comes to the so-called Nigerian youths. Many of them are still caught up in the agbero way of analyzing what is going on that it is easy to hoodwink them and their parents as a result.

i really trade words on this forum, but letd brake this down.
budget implementation equals fulfilling the budget which is in itd execution.
the lawmakers are angry because of their constituency fund meant for executing projects in their constituencies been held back.
i am not an internet nigerian. caged lion.

(1) (Reply)

Army Says Bomb Factory Was "Bombed" To Stop independence Day Attacks / Ondo Gubernatorial Elections: PDP Sets Aside N5 Billion For “logistics” / Kaduna Governor And Former NSA Azazi Die In air Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.