Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? (2215 Views)

Please Help!,how Would I Resurrect My Social Life?. / Dirty Habits We Should Get Rid Of / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by geeez: 2:25pm On Aug 05, 2012
A colleague asked me that question and I was like 'what!?'

He's been married for like 5 years now with two kids and his mother-in-law moved in with his family a little over a year ago. She's not educated and her English gets him worried ash time she interacts with his kids. He'd rather she speaks only Yoruba to them so at least tag can help the kids understand the language but she never does. Now this is not the most worrisome. Each time the kids misbehave, like kids always do, guess what, she begins to heap curses on them. Now that's the main crux of the matter. She's also very cantankerous and always picks an argument wi almos everyone. She never goes to church with the whole of the family, never prays, but all she does is watch Africa Magic all day.

Ever since she moved in, the family have had to face myriad challenges, from issues at work, to a ghastly accident that almost killed him and then the kids falling ill plus an eviction notice in his house. He's quite comfortable and the bread winner of his home but his wife has been like 'you wanna send my mother away'

He has suggested she moves to another en f her daughter's homes but each time he mentions it, his wife takes offense.

How on eath can a woman and her daughter be intimidating a man in his own house? Suggestions to evict her please?
Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by obowunmi(m): 2:34pm On Aug 05, 2012
Hehehe....
Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by taryour(f): 3:01pm On Aug 05, 2012
Your friend is definately not man enough to head his family,if not he wouldnt be asking you how to get that woman out of his house dosnt she have her own husband or buisness to keep her busy... Pls tell your friend to be a man,his wife should either choose him or her mother.... What rubbish
Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 05, 2012
Anty Taryour please what is your defination of a "real man"? One who forces down his decision on his spouse ( even when he has to give slaps) or one who is mature, calm and seeks amicable resolvment of issues?
Poster, please tell your friend to calmly find a way to speak with his wife, he shouldn't do it in an accusary tone but should let her know how Mama's actions affects him and their family negatively.
If talking ends up non productively he should send a text or write a note as my husband prefers to do.
Other options are speaking to neutral respectabke family members
In law issues in marriages especially African marriages need to be handled diplomatically.

1 Like

Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 05, 2012
Get rid of ur negative attitudes before u cn address her.
Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by ifyalways(f): 8:52pm On Aug 05, 2012
For sanity and especially for couples in naija, there should be a firm law for visiting relatives.
@OP, the man should calmly talk with his wife first. Make the wife see why its best her mama leaves.
If all doesn't work, the man can invite his own mother over too.(extreme?yes! But it would work)
NB:I find some of the mans reason for wanting the mil gone silly. Who worries over granny's grammar?

1 Like

Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by floranbee1(f): 9:55pm On Aug 05, 2012
In-law's issue is a very serious one.talk wit ur spouse n make her see reasons on wot decision 2 make.
Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by Ivynwa(f): 5:06am On Aug 06, 2012
Wasn't there a similar thread to this someone had in which the man had to angrily leave the house for the woman until the mother-in-law left the house or something? I am not suggesting that same move though, the man in question should talk to any of the wife's sibling that is mature enough to understand things and they can handle that as respectfully as possible.
There's nothing wrong with visitations by relatives but when they overstay, that becomes a problem.
Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 7:22am On Aug 06, 2012
Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 06, 2012
One more thing, he should stop linking his family misfortunes to his mother in law, everybody will go through challenges, its part of life, nobody has to be a "force" behind your challenges. As Long as we are alive we will have happy, sad and rough time. Its sad that the version of religion we practice now doesn't emphasise on preparing ourselves for tough times and riding the storm but we look for someone to pin it on.
Romans 12.12: be Patient in Tribulation and constant in Prayers".
That being said I understand how over familairity breeds contepmt, all these are coming up because an In Law has over stayed.
Tell your friend not to mention that bit to his wife at all or any of her family members. I currently have major issues with my own Mum, but I will never ever ever trace any misfortune to her or any other woman. Life isn't smooth sailing, bad times don't last forever and good times do not last forever too. The sooner we learn that fact and stop jumping from one deliverance center to the other the saner and happier we shall be

3 Likes

Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by nikkygal(f): 7:46am On Aug 06, 2012
@OP,

The thread below should be helpful. Read it well and pick out the useful suggestions in there.

https://www.nairaland.com/572294/forcing-mother-in-law-leave-home

All the best!
Re: How Would I Get Rid Of My Mother-in-law? by niyicollins(m): 12:36pm On Aug 06, 2012
u are also a potential mother in-law

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Biggest: The Lagos International Food And Drinks Festival Holds / What A Man Did To His Wife Of 20years! / Woman,26 Who Came Out As A Trans Man At Age 19 Reveals She Is Now Back To Female

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.