Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,155 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

How To Publish A Web Page - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Publish A Web Page (1331 Views)

How To Make Google Index Your New Blog Post, Web Page Quickly. / Live Telecast On My Web Page / Website / Create Ajax Chat & Learn Web Page Data Xchange via Json Vs Xml (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Publish A Web Page by mecussey(m): 11:41am On Dec 18, 2007
Please does anyone know how to transfer a HTML file to a remote server. I.E how to publish my webpage to be viewable by every one. I understand, you will need a file transfer protocol(FTP) software, but the whole thing is not clear, can anybody help?
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by my2cents(m): 12:30pm On Dec 18, 2007
yes,

u need an FTP software (like WSFTP). Tons exist for free at www.download.com

You enter your ftp login and password, navigate (on both local and server side) to the folder where you want to upload your file(s) from and to, and press the appropriate arrow.

One thing to note though is typically, you have two options when it comes to uploading - binary and text. Choose the former for uploading non-text (images, word documents, pdfs, etc) and the latter for code (html, php, css, etc). From experience, it really doesn't matter what mode you choose (or maybe I hv just been lucky not to have my files corrupted cool) but it is good practice to use the appropriate mode for the appropriate file to ensure your file(s) show up correctly.

I hope this helps.
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by nduaj(m): 5:14pm On Dec 18, 2007
u can also use www.net2ftp.com
a net based ftp site
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by Kobojunkie: 7:15pm On Dec 18, 2007
If you are on Windows Machine, you can Log in using Remote Desktop to your server machine and transfer your files to the server that way. The advantage is that you work with your server machine as if you were sitting directly in front of the machine. Check out the site below.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by mecussey(m): 11:18am On Dec 20, 2007
Thanks for your replies, but MY2CENT, please can you give me step by step on how you published yours, the FTP software always prompt me to enter a host address name and the password they gave me. I entered SUPERNET300.COM, they accepted it and asked me for the password they gave me and there is nothing like password, but they insist that when you by service from an ISP company, they must give you your username and password, they even showed me an example on a video. Please did you notice such.
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by my2cents(m): 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2007
I entered SUPERNET300.COM, they accepted it and asked me for the password they gave me and there is nothing like password, but they insist that when you by service from an ISP company, they must give you your username and password, they even showed me an example on a video. Please did you notice such.

That is correct, you were given a password when you registered a domain with your ISP. If you can't remember your password, ask your ISP to reset your password. They will probably ask you certain questions to ascertain that you are indeed who you say you are. That's okay. Once they reset your password (usually, to something like, "password"wink, you can always go back and change it to something much harder to crack.

I hope this helps.
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by mecussey(m): 9:06am On Dec 21, 2007
MY2CENT, so there is no how you can see the password on the PC without asking anybody, you know, Nigeria is not peaceful, if you ask the guy managing the cybercafe he will start thinking another thing. and I ve tried he did not. Any other way?
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by my2cents(m): 11:52am On Dec 21, 2007
unfortunately not mecussey,

Unless you chose (which is dangerous) the 'save password' option, there is no way you can retrieve your password. Again, I suggest you talk to your web hosts about resetting ur password.

I hope this helps.
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by astronp7(m): 12:25pm On Dec 21, 2007
For your Username and password to you cpanel, as long as you did pay for a web hosting package, always insist on having it. It is yours, except you do not own the site.

For uploading you site, I think you can have a look at this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=94214.msg1689053#msg1689053

Goodluck!
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by smartsoft(m): 1:53pm On Dec 21, 2007
maybe you will consider using windows explorer, most times i use that to upload everything via FTP, very fast ooo
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by mecussey(m): 1:03pm On Dec 24, 2007
My2cent can I get the username and password of a cybercafe
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by my2cents(m): 4:51pm On Dec 24, 2007
mecussey I dont think so.

you get that from your web host.
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by mecussey(m): 9:34am On Dec 25, 2007
My2cent, sorry to ask too many question, last one, can I publish this page through a cybercafe, I meant, a cybercafe that knows their Username and password?
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by tomX1(m): 11:12am On Dec 25, 2007
A cyber cafe password only allows you access to their systems so you can browse. You have to register a domain name with an ISP. If you do that (or if you have done that) You will get a Website adress of your own and a password to the ISP that is hosting your domain so that you can upload files to your domain space on your ISP's server.
When you have all that in place you can then upload your site using any publishing software. You can use Microsoft Front page too. This is how:
1. Open Microsoft Front Page
2. on the File Menu Select "Open Web"
in the file open dialog box, select the folder that contains your site. Frontpage will add some file in there to make it reconise it as a web-site so that publishin will be easier.
3. Again from File menu,  select Publish web and the following dialog box appears

enter the address of your domain as where specified and click on publish

Re: How To Publish A Web Page by Seun(m): 11:21am On Dec 25, 2007
You have to register a domain name with an ISP
It's a big mistake to register your domain name with your ISP or web host. It will be held hostage if you try to leave them. instead, register it with a dedicated domain name registrar.
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by tomX1(m): 11:28am On Dec 25, 2007
The next stage is where you will asked for your domain password and stuffs like that so that you can gain access to the domain space. I did not include a picture of this (since as you can tell from the first picture I am simply publishing from one folder on a computer to another folder on the same computer).
once you specifiy this and lick on next the publishing starts. as shown in the pix below. Wait for it to finish and thats all
(@seun thanks for that tip)

Re: How To Publish A Web Page by my2cents(m): 12:20pm On Dec 25, 2007
mecussey:
tomX has spoken and illustrated well. Listen to him

tomX:
Thanks for the tutorial. Some things are better explained via images and unfortunately I have been too busy of late to upload images.
Re: How To Publish A Web Page by mecussey(m): 6:22pm On Dec 28, 2007
Please Seun, do u know some of the dedicated domain name registrars

(1) (Reply)

Can You Redesign New Dawn With Funmi Iyanda Website? / Google And The End. / Make Millions On FIVERR Offering Some Simple Email Marketing Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.