Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,909 members, 7,828,189 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session (30154 Views)

Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K / Traveling To Ireland Dublin For Studies / I'm Planning To Travel To Malaysia For Studies, Please I Need Your Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2012
salsera: @Donx
Hey - that Okada line was hilarious!!!
I said the excat same thing years ago

London transport is expensive but u get used to the order
Scotland is much cheaper but like most things in the Uk advance payments are cheaper for transport and by the time u get ur student I'd u r entitled to student discounts

3 network cheap pay as u go? Will. Check it out
I'm on tmobile cos I got one of those deals with 6months internet
When I was on holiday early this year.

I'm still in shopping mode grin but for starters I know there is a Careers in Africa Exhibition coming up in London by October. For the record, I have to ask is there a career fair website? if there is please kindly tell me. As far as I know info on career fairs pass by word of mouth mostly which means one needs to check with the career section in one's school and put one's ear on the ground. As we have discussed before, have a professional go through your CV, apply early and widely,prepare well, Go for interviews and get lucky.

Internships don't matter that much, this place is not like Canada where you need the 'Canadian experience'. Besides why pursue internships when you can pursue relentlessly getting a job, both part time for now and then permanent employment for the later. Getting those are basically the same process and we are all going to neeed great grace with the current recession and UKBA rules to get something decent either way.

I heard M&S is a great place to start for part time. God help us all
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 8:02pm On Sep 13, 2012
Donxavier:

I'm still in shopping mode grin but for starters I know there is a Careers in Africa Exhibition coming up in London by October. For the record, I have to ask is there a career fair website? if there is please kindly tell me. As far as I know info on career fairs pass by word of mouth mostly which means one needs to check with the career section in one's school and put one's ear on the ground. As we have discussed before, have a professional go through your CV, apply early and widely,prepare well, Go for interviews and get lucky.

Internships don't matter that much, this place is not like Canada where you need the 'Canadian experience'. Besides why pursue internships when you can pursue relentlessly getting a job, both part time for now and then permanent employment for the later. Getting those are basically the same process and we are all going to neeed great grace with the current recession and UKBA rules to get something decent either way.

I heard M&S is a great place to start for part time. God help us all

Internship and voluntary job matters more than anything else in the UK, somebody with internship or voluntary experience stand a better chance than somebody without any of those.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 13, 2012
justwise:

Internship and voluntary job matters more than anything else in the UK, somebody with internship or voluntary experience stand a better chance than somebody without any of those.

Really, Ok. Noted.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by kingspaco: 10:16pm On Sep 13, 2012
[quote author=Dark sea]
Same here.[/quote

Am already on ma way. To northunbria university in newcastle,via British airways.see u guys in UK
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by omopapa: 11:01pm On Sep 13, 2012
Lufthansa or KLM? someone shld pls help me with comparism considering cost of flyt, convinience, allowed kg passenger and other useful factors tanx
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 11:36pm On Sep 13, 2012
chukyrooy:

Ma bad the timetable I have is for freshers. But u can get your course timetable thru Blackboard, but u have to be thru with the E-vision task 1st.

We can always get the timetable when we get there.

Pls shed a little light on hw u secured your accom. Cuz I've nt sercured mine yet.

I am staying wih a friend who works in Slough. Im sure it wont be that hard to secure accomm once you're there. How bou staying at a bed n breakfast till you get accomm?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 11:43pm On Sep 13, 2012
Donxavier:

Really, Ok. Noted.

Plus while you may not gain technical skills directly relevant to your course from volunteering, you most definitely will gain interpersonal, transferable skills which are as important in uk (or anywhwere apart from nig) as gaining technical experience. Volunteering, esp for community services and all that will show the employer you take initiative, arent really about just financial gratification, are willing to work with people and building team spirit, etc. Also, they are considerably easier to get than a full time job and may make it easy to get a leg in the uk labour market. All in all like justwise said, it is very important. Goodluck!
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 12:46am On Sep 14, 2012
Atlantis85:

Plus while you may not gain technical skills directly relevant to your course from volunteering, you most definitely will gain interpersonal, transferable skills which are as important in uk (or anywhwere apart from nig) as gaining technical experience. Volunteering, esp for community services and all that will show the employer you take initiative, arent really about just financial gratification, are willing to work with people and building team spirit, etc. Also, they are considerably easier to get than a full time job and may make it easy to get a leg in the uk labour market. All in all like justwise said, it is very important. Goodluck!

Couldn't have said it better.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Jerry4utd: 8:14am On Sep 14, 2012
M.sc environmental management @ glamorgan.please I would like to what items I am to travel with,in terms of clothing,feeding,gadgets etc.what are the basic things I should be travelling with.thanks
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by johnwisdom10(m): 8:49am On Sep 14, 2012
i was told that i can register for N.I number before i leave naija to make it faster...
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 9:06am On Sep 14, 2012
johnwisdom10: i was told that i can register for N.I number before i leave naija to make it faster...

You can't, i hope people don't get deported from the airport, being desperate to start working could mean that the maintenance money you showed during visa application is not really yours.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by kingspaco: 9:23am On Sep 14, 2012
[quote author=kingspaco][/quote]

just arrived newcastle dis morning.mehn it was fun.thanks to GOD for safe journey

1 Like

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by johnwisdom10(m): 10:06am On Sep 14, 2012
Am happy for u oooooo
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 14, 2012
johnwisdom10: i was told that i can register for N.I number before i leave naija to make it faster...

I don't understand this craze to get the N.I from Nigeria. N.I takes minimum 2 weeks to get. In the event you get a job before then, they will tax you using an emergency tax band. That's what I heard. Besides as Salsera said, before you are done with settling down,Orientation and Registration and then Job search the N.I should be out. So what's the rush. Besides to get the work isn't as easy as it sounds. if you are lucky, you may get it under a month.For most people it takes 2 or more months to get part time work that pay decent wages.

Also,Don't work more than 20hours during classes or school times. it wont be healthy for your academics. During holidays, You can work as much as you like.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 12:03pm On Sep 14, 2012
Donxavier:

I don't understand this craze to get the N.I from Nigeria. N.I takes minimum 2 weeks to get. In the event you get a job before then, they will tax you using an emergency tax band. That's what I heard. Besides as Salsera said, before you are done with settling down,Orientation and Registration and then Job search the N.I should be out. So what's the rush. Besides to get the work isn't as easy as it sounds. if you are lucky, you may get it under a month.For most people it takes 2 or more months to get part time work that pay decent wages.

Also,Don't work more than 20hours during classes or school times. it wont be healthy for your academics. During holidays, You can work as much as you like.

my school even recommends 12-14 hours per week even though UKBA gives 20hours for healthy academics.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 14, 2012
@Donx
I actually meant the career fairs website, there's registration details.
I'll send you mail soon , not at home
@to the poster who asked about what to travel with
Minimal clothes,you can take ur 'gadgets' and food(check the guidelines on food) avoid meat,dairy and fish

Please be aware of kg limits of each airline.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 14, 2012
salsera: @Donx
I actually meant the career fairs website, there's registration details.
I'll send you mail soon , not at home

No wahala. waiting for the mail.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by ogheneyoma: 7:57pm On Sep 14, 2012
hey friends, i got into the UK today. i thank the Almighty Lord for journey mercies. Pls lets kip d flag of dis forum flying.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by AZeD1(m): 8:14pm On Sep 14, 2012
Donxavier:

Nope, i havent checked any career fair website lately, been enjoying shopping around in London. Hey, london is too damn expensive, everything is £10 top up grin grin grin
I had to quickly get an oyster card cos what i was paying just for transportation alone was outrageous for short distances I was freaking out grin grin grin
Infact if you consider the Naija equivalent when buying things una go just give una self hypertension shocked. Wonderful experience so far but am already feeling homesick cry almost like I should return home. The lady who helped me around one very young girl from Afghanisthan said it's just a day that i'il get use to it.

You know when you are so used to disorder(am speaking of Lagos life), when you get to an orderly place to adjust is a little bit difficult. I wished there was okada yesterday as i had to wait for the bus and sometimes had to wait for 30mins or more. These oyinbo people sef funny, no public show of concern to anyone Na OYO you dey lol grin Dem no get family ties or brotherly atmosphere like for naija.

Salsera send me an email.
Dude i also had conversion fever when i first arrived but with time you get cured..
Its funny no one on this thread is coming to coventry...
@Don whats the black population like in sheffield?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by kunlewoye(m): 8:36pm On Sep 14, 2012
Crazy stuff here! I never even start schoolwork wey I no dey get time for anything again, not even food! (although junk can be picked up @ every turn, which quite explains why it's not easy to not be fat) shocked.. It's a different way of life here mehn but the Uni has made provision for almost EVERYTHING (from arrangements for your social life to commuting about the place and what have you). Cool everyone's having fun.
@Don, why you no do your shopping for where you dey go? Things are quite expensive in London if you don't know the places to go yet.
Meanwhile, posts on here keep sprawling all over the place!
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by CharlesE1: 9:25pm On Sep 14, 2012
A-ZeD:

Dude i also had conversion fever when i first arrived but with time you get cured..
Its funny no one on this thread is coming to coventry...
@Don whats the black population like in sheffield?

Need to see black population? Visit Coventry Uni, their students have testified that Nigerians make up 90% of the students there.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by AZeD1(m): 9:28pm On Sep 14, 2012
Charles. E:

Need to see black population? Visit Coventry Uni, their students have testified that Nigerians make up 90% of the students there.
I'm in coventry...
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by CharlesE1: 9:52pm On Sep 14, 2012
A-ZeD:

I'm in coventry...

Guess you can testify
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by AZeD1(m): 9:53pm On Sep 14, 2012
Charles. E:

Guess you can testify
Yeah
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by shemy: 10:17pm On Sep 14, 2012
Can I bring my hand hairdryer and straigner along, trying to reduce unnecessary buying
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 10:56pm On Sep 14, 2012
[quote author=shemy]Can I bring my hand hairdryer and straigner along, trying to reduce unnecessary buying

Yes you can.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 14, 2012
@Salsera

where is the mail now?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by johnwisdom10(m): 11:36pm On Sep 14, 2012
hello Charles. E how is coventry.....i will be coming to coventry next year i need ur help now....
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by CharlesE1: 11:41pm On Sep 14, 2012
johnwisdom10: hello Charles. E how is coventry.....i will be coming to coventry next year i need ur help now....

I no dey Coventry o. I just follow their stories online. Na Naija extension be that.

I have a friend who is leaving for Coventry on the 19th anyway.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by FutureDon(m): 7:52am On Sep 15, 2012
Thanks to God, I arrived the UK yesterday through Manchester airport, I was expecting to be 'scrutinized' according to what I've read on this forum. Interestingly, I was only asked for my course and university's name. I was not even asked to show my CAS Statement.

It was a smooth ride from MAN to SHE, my School was there to pick myself and other international students with chartered taxis to my final destination. Mehnn, I almost froze yesterday oo, chaii. It was pretty cold, hoping to adapt to it soon.

Dharkchild, please can I contact you concerning accommodation?

Penfold, what's the latest bro? let's discuss accommodation, we might be lucky enough to get a shared flat since we attend the same School.

To those waiting for their flights, I wish you a safe trip.

1 Like

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 9:14am On Sep 15, 2012
FutureDon: Thanks to God, I arrived the UK yesterday through Manchester airport, I was expecting to be 'scrutinized' according to what I've read on this forum. Interestingly, I was only asked for my course and university's name. I was not even asked to show my CAS Statement.

It was a smooth ride from MAN to SHE, my School was there to pick myself and other international students with chartered taxis to my final destination. Mehnn, I almost froze yesterday oo, chaii. It was pretty cold, hoping to adapt to it soon.

Dharkchild, please can I contact you concerning accommodation?

Penfold, what's the latest bro? let's discuss accommodation, we might be lucky enough to get a shared flat since we attend the same School.

To those waiting for their flights, I wish you a safe trip.

Hope you have sorted out temporary accommodation till you get a permanent place? Pls send me a pm.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

Airlines Told To Avoid Afghanistan Airspace As Emirates Airline Suspends Flights / Is Anyone Processing MPNP / Stowaway Boy Thought Arik Plane Was US-Bound

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.