Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,368 members, 7,819,319 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session (30103 Views)

Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K / Traveling To Ireland Dublin For Studies / I'm Planning To Travel To Malaysia For Studies, Please I Need Your Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by holladapooo: 6:26pm On Sep 09, 2012
anyone going to university of chester here?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by chy22(m): 11:33pm On Sep 09, 2012
I can't believe this. After all this fear and tension I entered uk on sunday via manchester air port. And believe me the only word the board agency said was to put my thumb on the scanner and noting else. No questions at all, I did not even show any paper to him other than my passport. Guess I am always lucky. Safe journey for those of you yet to come.

1 Like

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by kunlewoye(m): 1:24am On Sep 10, 2012
honey86:
Did u take foodstuffs with u?, and how was the iberia flight.
Yes, I took foodstuff with me: ground pepper, Garri, Indomie(1 carton each of 120g and the smaller gram packs), suya pepper, beans, knorr maggi, powdered milk, groundnut, Ogbono, etc. The Iberia flight was OK. You don't get to wait long in transit. I got to Madrid around 3AM naija time(4AM madrid time) so I only got to wait about 2 and a half hrs to board the 2-hr flight @6:30 to London. Cheers
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by kunlewoye(m): 1:30am On Sep 10, 2012
Donxavier:

The p qouted is what? Is it pounds or pence?
Pence is referred to as "p" here. My brother here got me on contract with T-mobile for local calls, and arranged Lebara for Naija calls.... but having Rebtel installed on your phone and creating an account is better than all of them, as I have seen. It's about 4p per min to Naija, and even free for Rebtel to Rebtel calls!
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by adebee16: 1:38pm On Sep 10, 2012
Is der any1 going to heathrow on 14th thru virgin atlantic?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 3:33pm On Sep 10, 2012
Donxavier:

The p qouted is what? Is it pounds or pence?

P= pence.

Just checked now: Vectone; 1p/min(landline) and 8p/min)mobile)
Lebara: 5p/min(landline). 8p/min(mobile)
Lyca: 1p/min(landline). 8p/min(mobile)

There may be cheaper ones but this ones I've used on visits. Your gf may also have to get a landline now too.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 3:47pm On Sep 10, 2012
kunlewoye:
Pence is referred to as "p" here. My brother here got me on contract with T-mobile for local calls, and arranged Lebara for Naija calls.... but having Rebtel installed on your phone and creating an account is better than all of them, as I have seen. It's about 4p per min to Naija, and even free for Rebtel to Rebtel calls!

Lebara is actually a bit more expensive than the rest as I just told @Donxavier.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 7:07pm On Sep 10, 2012
Atlantis85:

Lebara is actually a bit more expensive than the rest as I just told @Donxavier.

Do you need any special registration or doc before you can get a line or you could just buy
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 7:23pm On Sep 10, 2012
chukyrooy:

Sorry 4 d late reply dear ma network has been messed up... I ve nt made any accomodation plans yet. When I get there I'll. Hope U've booked ur place for Orientation.

No I haven't sad. I just applied September 4th and I'm not sure I'll get my passport back before 24th. Would really love to be there tho
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 7:30pm On Sep 10, 2012
Dharkchild:

Do you need any special registration or doc before you can get a line or you could just buy

Nope. No registration needed. Pay as you go sims and can be bought pretty much anywhere; corner shop, airport etc
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 7:31pm On Sep 10, 2012
Atlantis85:

Nope. No registration needed. Pay as you go sims and can be bought pretty much anywhere; corner shop, airport etc

Arigato
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by ikcbn(m): 8:16pm On Sep 10, 2012
chy22: I can't believe this. After all this fear and tension I entered uk on sunday via manchester air port. And believe me the only word the board agency said was to put my thumb on the scanner and noting else. No questions at all, I did not even show any paper to him other than my passport. Guess I am always lucky. Safe journey for those of you yet to come.

Plz was machester Your final destination? I would b entering UK via machester airport too bt wd still need 2 get 2 sheffield cos that's my final destination bt i don't really knw hw 2 navigate frm d̶̲̥̅̊ airport 4 nw so advise would b heavily appreciated esp d̶̲̥̅̊ best economical way 2 do this.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 8:48pm On Sep 10, 2012
I just felt it important to add this bit for first-timers especially:

Uk is different from nigeria in the sense that no one is really looking at you or cares if you're lost or anything except you ask. You could be dancing on your head and no one would look too hard at you. Lol.

So in the absence of NL or maybe you suddenly realize you need directions you didn't remember to ask on here, don't be shy to ask at any help desk you see and/or look out for signs, maps etc. This are legible and placed conspicuously.

All the best!
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by omopapa: 10:16pm On Sep 10, 2012
Atlantis85: I just felt it important to add this bit for first-timers especially:

Uk is different from nigeria in the sense that no one is really looking at you or cares if you're lost or anything except you ask. You could be dancing on your head and no one would look too hard at you. Lol.

So in the absence of NL or maybe you suddenly realize you need directions you didn't remember to ask on here, don't be shy to ask at any help desk you see and/or look out for signs, maps etc. This are legible and placed conspicuously.

All the best!

#Gbam!
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 10:28pm On Sep 10, 2012
Atlantis85: I just felt it important to add this bit for first-timers especially:

All the best!

Thanks. Would be flying tomorrow as a first timer to the UK. U never know how this little piece of info can save someone. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 10:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
Dharkchild:

Thanks. Would be flying tomorrow as a first timer to the UK. U never know how this little piece of info can save someone. Thanks

Aww, wishing you a safe trip and all the best in, well, everything! You're welcome... Cheers cheesy
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 11:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
Dharkchild:

You will be fine, the moment you go through immigration and pick your luggage just head straight to airport customer service, they are very helpful and will answer just any question. If you are connecting flight they know how you will go about it, if you are using coach or train they will point you to the right direction.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by chy22(m): 11:38pm On Sep 10, 2012
manchester was not my final destination. when you reach manchester go to train an coach terminal. tell them you are going to sheffield, you will be given a ticket from man. to sheffiled plus a ricept that will show when to change train and the time it will stop, it will also show the destinations on the train. it is an easy thing sha.
ikcbn:

Plz was machester Your final destination? I would b entering UK via machester airport too bt wd still need 2 get 2 sheffield cos that's my final destination bt i don't really knw hw 2 navigate frm d̶̲̥̅̊ airport 4 nw so advise would b heavily appreciated esp d̶̲̥̅̊ best economical way 2 do this.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 5:17am On Sep 11, 2012
So I leave this morning. Have missed you guyscheesy
Virgin 10am. All the best to all and see y'all on the other side.

Great family here.

1 Like

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 5:46am On Sep 11, 2012
kunlewoye:

Is rebtel an application? I think I will go with your suggestion. And on which kind of phone?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 6:18am On Sep 11, 2012
justwise:

You will be fine, the moment you go through immigration and pick your luggage just head straight to airport customer service, they are very helpful and will answer just any question. If you are connecting flight they know how you will go about it, if you are using coach or train they will point you to the right direction.

Thanks
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 6:19am On Sep 11, 2012
Donxavier: So I leave this morning. Have missed you guyscheesy

Great family here.

Safe trip bro, all the best
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by adebee16: 8:23am On Sep 11, 2012
Donxavier: So I leave this morning. Have missed you guyscheesy

Great family here.
Safe trip Don,God be with u.success all u way.u bin wonderful
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 11, 2012
Safe trip to Dharkchild and Donxavier!

Welcome to the Uk!!
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by pharuk: 9:53am On Sep 11, 2012
ikcbn:

From Manchester you can get train to sheffield almost every 45mins, or if u want to save money - take a coach (National express) the train and coach station is side by side and depending on which, if you are going to sheffield Hallam university, its about 5 mins walk.

There will be student representatives to take it from there
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 10:12am On Sep 11, 2012
Atlantis85:

Aww, wishing you a safe trip and all the best in, well, everything! You're welcome... Cheers cheesy
salsera: Safe trip to Dharkchild and Donxavier!

Welcome to the Uk!!

Thanks
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by kunlewoye(m): 6:43pm On Sep 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Is rebtel an application? I think I will go with your suggestion. And on which kind of phone?
Yup. It's installed on your phone and you ring them up or visit their website to create an account which is credited on an as-you-want basis. when you try to make any call from your mobile, you get a prompt to specify if you want to use your Rebtel account. Lebara network isn't so good from what I have seen jare; voice calls not clear, na 'ehn? ehn??' all the time undecided. I may change to another network.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 10:07pm On Sep 11, 2012
kunlewoye:
Yup. It's installed on your phone and you ring them up or visit their website to create an account which is credited on an as-you-want basis. when you try to make any call from your mobile, you get a prompt to specify if you want to use your Rebtel account. Lebara network isn't so good from what I have seen jare; voice calls not clear, na 'ehn? ehn??' all the time undecided. I may change to another network.

But wait oo, this Rebtel you speak of, just checked the int'l call rate for Nig and its 3.9p/min. If that's true, then its not cheaper than Lyca or Vectone which are 1p/min for landline. Tho using Rebtel to call nig mobile is cheaper than the rest. Or im not getting it?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 11:40pm On Sep 11, 2012
Atlantis85:

But wait oo, this Rebtel you speak of, just checked the int'l call rate for Nig and its 3.9p/min. If that's true, then its not cheaper than Lyca or Vectone which are 1p/min for landline. Tho using Rebtel to call nig mobile is cheaper than the rest. Or im not getting it?

it makes sense for mobile. In naija, landline isnt the norm, it's mobile and 4p per min makes sense. Same as the icard mobile too it's cheap but i dont know the quality of calls to naija. I will settle for icardmobile but I hope the network is good and there are few dropped calls.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 11:57pm On Sep 11, 2012
So I got into the UK today hassle free. I have heard countless stories of how scrutiny at Heathrow is really tight and all that. I was pretty surprised when the border officer just asked for my passport, asked if I was a first time student, gave me a first time student form to fill and stamped me in.As simple as that. Even my cousin that came for me was pretty surprised that I was done pretty quickly. No questions were asked me, he didn't even ask for my admission letter or CAS statement.

I love the UK I must say and that's how Nigeria should be hadn't it been that we are cursed with bad leadership. Anyway, will spend the next few days adjusting and shopping before I find my way to Aberdeen by weekend.

For the contract blackberry I intend to get, Can I use my cousin's address or must I use my own address when I secure my accommodation? Will I have to prove that I live there...someone please help me out? what are the requirements for getting a contract phone?

Cheers.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 1:19am On Sep 12, 2012
Donxavier:

it makes sense for mobile. In naija, landline isnt the norm, it's mobile and 4p per min makes sense. Same as the icard mobile too it's cheap but i dont know the quality of calls to naija. I will settle for icardmobile but I hope the network is good and there are few dropped calls.

Oh right. Never heard of iCard. Leme know how it is when you get it pls.

P.s: by landline, I meant hand-held fones from visafone, starcomms and all. I've got a tiny mobile starcomms that's charged as 'landline' too.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by okolodaniel: 1:28am On Sep 12, 2012
Donxavier: So I got into the UK today hassle free. I have heard countless stories of how scrutiny at Heathrow is really tight and all that. I was pretty surprised when the border officer just asked for my passport, asked if I was a first time student, gave me a first time student form to fill and stamped me in.As simple as that. Even my cousin that came for me was pretty surprised that I was done pretty quickly. No questions were asked me, he didn't even ask for my admission letter or CAS statement.

I love the UK I must say and that's how Nigeria should be hadn't it been that we are cursed with bad leadership. Anyway, will spend the next few days adjusting and shopping before I find my way to Aberdeen by weekend.

For the contract blackberry I intend to get, Can I use my cousin's address or must I use my own address when I secure my accommodation? Will I have to prove that I live there...someone please help me out? what are the requirements for getting a contract phone?

Cheers.

Thank God for journey mercies o!

What address did u fill as your contact address on your landing card as you've not booked an accommodation yet?

Did u put your cousin's address?

Regards.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

Slangs Used In Portharcourt / Ikot Oku Flyover, Abak, Akwa Ibom In Pictures / Bike Rider Crushed To Death Along Benin-okene Road (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.