Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop (6393 Views)

Ayodele Bakare: Former Nigeria National Basketball Coach Survived Soakaway Fall / Is John Obi Mikel A FLOP Or Just Been Overated By Chelsea Fans / Stephen Keshi Resigns As Eagles Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by ayodinho91: 5:57pm On Aug 09, 2012
Nigeria national basketball team coach, Ayodele Bakare, has yesterday announced his resignation as team coach at the end of an encounter against France that marked their exit from the Olympic Basketball tournament.

The coach explained that he was resigning for main reasons:

“First, I have been fortunate to be the first Nigerian coach to take this team to an African championship and second, I am also the first coach to take the men's team to an Olympics. I want to say that l have seen it all as a coach. Nigeria has won eight championships and l have been privileged to win seven out of the eight as a coach,” he said.

He is yet to inform the Nigeria Basketball Federation officially so that they can hire another coach to continue from where he stopped.

http://www.starafrica.com/en/more-sports/detail-news/view/nigerias-basketball-coach-resigns-after-246996.html
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by eledalo: 8:48pm On Aug 09, 2012
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Labyboy(m): 8:50pm On Aug 09, 2012
Just about time..
..I guess the USA beating will be the lowest point of his coaching career..
.. Best of luck.. Coachito...lol

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by ebamma(m): 8:50pm On Aug 09, 2012
usa basketball team, have you seen what you have caused,
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 09, 2012
oh my bad.thought it was 'tunde' bakare who resigned from his pastoral assignment to join politics fulltime

4 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Super1759: 8:56pm On Aug 09, 2012
That day naija was beaten by USA stands as his nightmare. Obviously d worst day of his life. Abeg go rest joor no be your fault

2 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by drlaykay(m): 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2012
[b][/b]The coach explained that he was resigning for main reasons:

But i cant find d reasons

3 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by tundeOjo: 9:10pm On Aug 09, 2012
REALKINGSON: oh my bad.thought it was 'tunde' bakare who resigned from his pastoral assignment to join politics fulltime

grin grin
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by blackchief(m): 9:13pm On Aug 09, 2012
Nice performance Bakare and thank your for all your contribution to the development basketball in Nigeria. If the news is true then thing may be getting betterfor Nigeria, for a coach to resign and not sack.

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by ebamma(m): 9:18pm On Aug 09, 2012
REALKINGSON: oh my bad.thought it was 'tunde' bakare who resigned from his pastoral assignment to join politics fulltime
are you always this foolish

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Acidosis(m): 9:19pm On Aug 09, 2012
good idea. .atleast our politicians have something to learn. .

2 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by horlajide: 9:19pm On Aug 09, 2012
Only if our politicians had just one-tenth of such integrity

3 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by sunnshyn(f): 9:21pm On Aug 09, 2012
Oh! He's not resigning as a result of the defeat, but cos according to him he has seen it all with the team....how convenient! Would he still have taken this step if his team won a medal in the Olympics?#thinkingoutloud

2 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Clemzy16(m): 9:24pm On Aug 09, 2012
He was gonna get fired anyways.. Wish him all the best!
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by lacasa: 9:25pm On Aug 09, 2012
Much respect fσr the coach.

It takes a man ϯo admit his mistakes anϑ a biggeer man ϯo atone fσr his mistakes.

Politicians with worse implicating goofs annd mistakes added with criminal acts of corruption have ϯo borrow a leaf from such.

Hmmm.. a few come ϯo mind angry

3 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 09, 2012
He just proved to be an honorable man. I wish our politicians can copy from him. If you can't deliver, get the Bleep out.
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by kq(m): 9:29pm On Aug 09, 2012

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 09, 2012
ebamma: are you always this foolish
where did i wrong you bro?i was just saying my mind abeg.that man needs to choose from between politics and pastorial work

2 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by DisGuy: 9:34pm On Aug 09, 2012
Nigerians are hard to please and mostly ignorant

this is not football, we lost to USA kini big deal, were you guys expecting nigerian college players to thrash professional players within 2 months of getting together?

Best of luck to the players jare, You qualified againt all odd, Angola, Morrocco and top African BB teams didn't make it

10 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by GENERAL7(m): 10:03pm On Aug 09, 2012
It simply means dat dia participation in London is just for participating sake.oga coach u try well well.let another mugu step in,dem no dey tell man until man take im eye see
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by abdulkayus(m): 10:05pm On Aug 09, 2012
Dis Guy: Nigerians are hard to please and mostly ignorant

this is not football, we lost to USA kini big deal, were you guys expecting nigerian college players to thrash professional players within 2 months of getting together?

Best of luck to the players jare, You qualified againt all odd, Angola, Morrocco and top African BB teams didn't make it

Gbam, God bless u guy, nigerians are nt easily pleased. D 9ja BB team and coach really try a lot, usa vs 9ja in basket ball is lyk brazil vs chad in football. We need to cheer them up, dey realy perform wel against all odds.

3 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:07pm On Aug 09, 2012
He had better be. Cos he ll be sacked anyway when he returns. Don't know who to blame for Team Nigeria's failure. Let's just move forward, put things in place & prepare harder to avoid another draught of medals in 2016.
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by clip: 10:24pm On Aug 09, 2012
I watched some of their games, I am ok with the coach he did his best with the available players. He only meet a better talented team.
We wish you well,coach

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by ANYPEN(m): 10:36pm On Aug 09, 2012
Did I hear him say he has seen it all? Has he seen Olympic gold, silver or even bronze
Or he doesn't know what seeing it all means ni?

Anyways, he's got achievements & I think he tried his best.
Seriously, That US thrashing is unbearable
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by ajf(m): 10:50pm On Aug 09, 2012

Gbam!! I don't know why we always expect something from football too when our talent discovery is zero, youth development bad, a very poor league and mediocre players who don't even play for big teams.
Our problem is we always expect to win miraculously even when we've done nothing to warrant a win.

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by ifyalways(f): 10:52pm On Aug 09, 2012
Why resign?
We are so fond of running away from challenges, giving in to our failures as opposed to dusting up self and try again. It sucks!
Goodluck to him.

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by tpapi: 11:11pm On Aug 09, 2012
Dat headline tuk me off guard,tot it wz dat demon in ogba dat resigned
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Delafruita(m): 11:26pm On Aug 09, 2012
ifyalways: Why resign?
We are so fond of running away from challenges, giving in to our failures as opposed to dusting up self and try again. It sucks!
Goodluck to him.
the man gave his best.from what i heard,he personally took charge of most of the arrangements for the team's training,flights etc because the NBBF wasnt forthcoming.he had hinted before the olympics that hhe will leave the team after the olympics so itss not a suprise.i am certain no federation in their right senses would have thought of sacking bakare.he deserves to be applauded

3 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Detongue: 12:05am On Aug 10, 2012

laugh nearly tear my belle
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Kolade9(m): 12:13am On Aug 10, 2012
Why na? Let him prepare dem 4 d next olympics.....

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Sagamite(m): 12:33am On Aug 10, 2012

Some of these halfwits don't realise the loss was akin to the Brazil team of 2002 with talents like the 3Rs (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho), Cafu, R. Carlos etc beating a Mali WC debutant team 13 goals to 4, with Ronaldo (Carmelo) being on utter fire that day.

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Murphy7h4: 1:39am On Aug 10, 2012
Good point

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Daily Tips Wit T&T @ 1.50 To 5 Odd / 400 Schools Set To Participate In 2017 Gtbank Lagos Principals Cup / FIBA Afrobasket 2021: D’Tigers Begin Qualifiers With Victory Over South Sudan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.