Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

Why People Dont Get Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why People Dont Get Jobs (36049 Views)

I Want To Help Five Nairalander Get Jobs Before May 10 (closed) / Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. / Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 10:20am On Aug 11, 2012
There are many reasons why many applicants dont get jobs and we are going to treat them one by one. But to make the messages short, I will handle the discussion as a stage by stage thing.

Imagine getting an application with an attachment and all that it says is
"Sent from my BlackBerry® Smartphone, from Etisalat. Enjoy high speed internet service with Etisalat easy net, available at all our experience centres"

Imagine that you are dealing with vacancies for about say 20 positions, and your email box was choked up with 1500 emails applying for the job, what would you do with an email like the above?

Sometimes, we eliminate about 1200 straightaway who did not apply but want us to open the attachment and start reading so that we can decide for them what they should be applying for...so quite a number are eliminated not because they dont qualify but because they are lazy.

LESSON 1: ALWAYS APPLY PROPERLY BY EMAIL, INCLUDING A SUBJECT AND MSG SUMMARIZING UR APPLICATION, IF POSSIBLE ALSO SEND A HARDCOPY TO THE OFFICE ADDRESS PREFERABLY BY HAND

10 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 10:30am On Aug 11, 2012
Another common problem is illustrated below. Imagine that you run a small shop which sells greeting cards and you advertised for a shop girl and the first line of her application says

Objective
To work in a state of the art organisation with great opportunities for self-actualisation and enable me to improve myself financially, materially and mentally.

In short, this babe wants to chop all my shop and run. She has no interest in contributing or making any sacrifices.

LESSON: PUT AN OBJECTIVE THAT SHOWS THAT YOU HAVE A CONTRIBUTION AND NOT AN EXPECTATION, OR SIMPLY DROP THE OBJECTIVE THING

7 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by evvyking(m): 10:47am On Aug 11, 2012
Are u saying we shdnt snd applications via blackberries? We must go tru the laptop? Cuz I dint get dat part well enuf

2 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 1:06pm On Aug 11, 2012
evvyking: Are u saying we shdnt snd applications via blackberries? We must go tru the laptop? Cuz I dint get dat part well enuf

I think generally, an application should impress the person receiving it that you are responsible.
a driver cant just drive up to my door with a truckload of soft drinks or sand, park and walk away without
greeting anybody or explaining what the sand or soft drink is meant for and expect my boys to download it for him.

If you dont put any proper statement on your BB or I-phone to explain what you are applying for and where you saw the advert,
all that your phone will do is advertise MTN or Etisalat, and that wont do at all..If you dont know how to use your BB
very well to look responsible, then dont use it for job applications.

Also, not all employers will appreciate that you already own a BB, depending on the type of job and level at which you are
applying. They may see it as sign that you are ostentatious, a probable embezzler or that you are going to be spending business
time on facebook.

I agree that this kind of thinking is unfair, but it may lose you a good job if they think so,
especially if it seems you cant even take time to send an application properly.

9 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 6:38pm On Aug 11, 2012
The common problem of consistency and perseverance can be illustrated by this cv

Name Silly Nelly
Aug 2007-dec 2007 maths Teacher, Boluwagen Nig Ltd
Jan 2008-Jan 2009 Shop supervisor, Blue Circle Ltd
Feb 2009-Apr 2010 Marketing Executive, XYZ ltd
Apr 2010 - date CEO, SiliNel & Co Enterprises

And now he is applying for the job of an accounts clerk!!!

Looking briefly, you can see that this guy is a get-rich quick, unsure of his profession,
willing to resign at the drop of the hat because of N2,000 increase in pay. failed woefully at his last job as a marketer,
couldnt get another, wouldnt admit it, and now he wants to pick up his accounts career which he abandoned using you as a
guinea pig. Even if this is the true picture, must you tell the prospective employer all this?

Look at the modified CV below

Name Temidire Nelly
Aug 2007-dec 2007 Teacher, Boluwagen Nig Ltd
Jan 2008-Jan 2009 Accounts Officer/Supervisor, Blue Circle Ltd
Feb 2009- date Freelance consultant/accountant

And now he is applying as Senior Accounts officer, even though the vacancy says
accounts clerk

4 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by spicyv1(f): 7:08pm On Aug 13, 2012
Really insightful. As regards the objective section in CVs most people actually just copy what they think looks impressive without actually checking to see if it suits the job! I mean, if you were an employer, would you invite someone with your CV for an interview? The key is to THINK like the employer, envisage his needs through the job specifications/requirements then create a CV that matches those needs.

4 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Insanity(m): 8:32pm On Aug 13, 2012
@OP
What of this;
'To obtain a position in an organization with construction knowledge, high mechanical aptitude and commitment to safety, where i make effective contributions individually or within a team.'
Note- applying to a construction firm.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by spicyv1(f): 9:00pm On Aug 13, 2012
Insanity: @OP
What of this;
'To obtain a position in an organization with construction knowledge, high mechanical aptitude and commitment to safety, where i make effective contributions individually or within a team.'
Note- applying to a construction firm.

What position actually? Cleaner? Accountant? Business Manager? Your objective should portray how your career goals aligns with the organizations goals.

I would say, " I seek to build a fulfilling career in Administration, by contributing my quota θf innovative professionalism as a team player within a structured organization, focused on proffering specialized construction and safety needs".

8 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 8:36am On Aug 14, 2012
You guys are beginning to get it..I would say

I seek to build a career in administration by applying myself intelligently to listen, and learn,
search for information and apply my restless energy, excellent documentation skills and initiative to the advantage of the company
and ensure that all assignments given are done diligently and on time.

You can think of the word "Objective" as "why do i want to work for you, sir?"

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 7:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mistake No 5 - Going After A Job Instead Of Career

Many applicants dont realise that a career has an entry point and a peak.
They tend to go after what they think is a juicy job without realising that
a foolish boss can never teach you anything before his business crashes.

As a general rule, the best career minded companies dont pay spectacular salaries to a rookie.
Neither Akintola Deloitte accountacy, a St Nicholas Medical, RMS Research, A Towry Coker Architect,
nor a Festus Keyamo or Punuka Law firm will give you a 6-figure salary
as a starter because they know that they are doing you a favour by giving you an opportunity to serve with them.
They also know that just because you work with them, u will soon be doing a lot of jobs on the side and they dont much care as long
as ur pp doesnt clash with their interests, or backfire.

So you have a choice to select a firm which highlights and excels in your field and if you have to,
pls beg, or grovel to work with them and stay there until you are too tight in that field,
rather than jump to an oil company or bank, or worse start your own firm
and flounder around for years without really topping ur field.

2 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 10:14pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mistake No 6. Never Applying For A Job

During the Sermon I made an altar call, and several persons came out who admitted to desperate need of jobs. As I was about to pray for them
I was led to ask those of them that actually had specific places they had applied to, to step to the right. To my utmost shock, out of over 30 people
that were standing, only 2 stepped to the right. The rest had not applied to any specific place that they could remember. i didnt understand, so
I asked them clearly. "THE REST OF YOU HAVE NOT APPLIED TO ANY SPECIFIC PLACE BEFORE FOR A JOB?" and the answer without any repentance was YES PASTOR

I know it sounds foolish, but many people do think getting a job is ONLY by connection and have never applied to a specific place.
OK, let me ask at this forum, how many of you reading this can mention any specific company that they have applied to for a job?

Reply under...where did you apply to, what did you apply for, and when?

Lets count, pls be honest.

2 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by AjanleKoko: 8:26am On Aug 17, 2012
This is a very good thread. Keep it coming, OP wink

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 1:17pm On Aug 18, 2012
Sort your English out or change profession.

Dear Sir/Ma,
I Adepemo Basirat will like to apply for the post of a Secretary in any company with a vacant for the post. Attached within is my curriculum vitae.
Hope to hear from you soon.

If this was an application for a driver or cleaner, or even a caterer, it would be ok, but for a secretary or any post that interfaces
with the public, nobody will take you even if you pay an agency a billion to get u a job.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 1:30pm On Aug 18, 2012
Hello, I changed the title because the myth flying around the place is that ALL AGENCIES
that demand money from candidates are 419. Some people even wrote me with PRIDE..

Sir, I doesnt pays money to any agency. I know that I qualifies and I will gets my job
in the name of Jesus.

Many of you looking for jobs are willing to go and pay money to some mushroom medicine man or fake prophet whereas
you need real support to even get an application going. Some of you dont even know that the job you are about to
take because of ordinary N5k will scatter your career completely.

What am doing is a very valuable job, evaluating your qualifications, guidance and counselling, and if I coach you
for 3 days a week for 1 month, and I can guaranty that you will get a job within 3 months. Why shouldnt I be paid by you?

I am waiting for an answer o...

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by y2kaustin(m): 3:45pm On Aug 21, 2012
With all the "abrakatabra",have consider,or digres into the GEJ factor?
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Wallie(m): 3:49pm On Aug 21, 2012
Jobexpert: There are many reasons why many applicants dont get jobs and we are going to treat them one by one. But to make the messages short, I will handle the discussion as a stage by stage thing.

Imagine getting an application with an attachment and all that it says is

"Sent from my BlackBerry® Smartphone, from Etisalat. Enjoy high speed internet service with Etisalat easy net, available at all our experience centres"

Imagine that you are dealing with vacancies for about say 20 positions, and your email box was choked up with 1500 emails applying for the job, what would you do with an email like the above?

Sometimes, we eliminate about 1200 straightaway who did not apply but want us to open the attachment and start reading so that we can decide for them what they should be applying for...so quite a number are eliminated not because they dont qualify but because they are lazy.

LESSON 1: ALWAYS APPLY PROPERLY BY EMAIL, INCLUDING A SUBJECT AND MSG SUMMARIZING UR APPLICATION, IF POSSIBLE ALSO SEND A HARDCOPY TO THE OFFICE ADDRESS PREFERABLY BY HAND

I really don't see anything wrong with the quoted "sent from..." message above. I do understand that you can edit the signature but I doubt it reflects negatively on the applicant. On the other hand, it won't hurt to delete the message "just because". Why give someone having a bad day another reason not to like you?

More significantly, I think applicants should be more mindful when responding to a job application. Your application has to be specifically tailored to the job posting with a tailored resume and/or cover letter. Explicitly state what experience(s) in your background qualifies you for the job. Why you and not someone else?
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by pembisco(m): 3:51pm On Aug 21, 2012
Why we dnt get jobs is because there are no jobs...simple

17 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Freiburger(m): 3:54pm On Aug 21, 2012
pembisco: Why we dnt get jobs is because there are no jobs...simple
5likes.

3 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by slimyem: 3:55pm On Aug 21, 2012
nice thread...
Interesting and realistic points...
He who has ears....

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Sircj(m): 4:06pm On Aug 21, 2012
[quote author=Jobexpert]Hello, I changed the title because the myth flying around the place is that ALL AGENCIES
that demand money from candidates are 419. Some people even wrote me with PRIDE..

Many of you looking for jobs are willing to go and pay money to some mushroom medicine man or fake prophet whereas
you need real support to even get an application going. Some of you dont even know that the job you are about to
take because of ordinary N5k will scatter your career completely.

What am doing is a very valuable job, evaluating your qualifications, guidance and counselling, and if I coach you
for 3 days a week for 1 month, and I can guaranty that you will get a job within 3 months. Why shouldnt I be paid by you?

I am waiting for an answer o..

Please can u pm me or snd ur email to me. I want to have a word with u. Bigexploit@gmail.com
thanks
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 21, 2012
pembisco: Why we dnt get jobs is because there are no jobs...simple
+100

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by uceee(m): 4:24pm On Aug 21, 2012
Nice thread. Keep posting OP.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by amia: 4:30pm On Aug 21, 2012
@ OP,can i have your email sir. I have a question i would like to ask you but I don't want to do so on a public forum like this . This is my email address kachimbonu2@yhoo.com thank you
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by maskara01: 4:30pm On Aug 21, 2012
Well from every angle where everyone is coming from ranging from where and how u send your CV's to the economic factor down to the GEJ thing, you all are right. But one thing I'll like us to consider is our mindset! Yes our mind set. Some job seekers will say because they dint have a degree, or they dint make a 2.1 etc they can't get a job. Well it may be true be as learned people we shouldn't let our desires shape our thinking and that will go along way in getting a dream job.
One said because the blackberry signatire is present, they may not give u the job. Well this may be true but my question is that, is there a restriction to where u can send your CV from? Its the CV the employer needs not where its sent from. Since the CV is your image and the BB fone, I'll like to say that this issue is not valid.
Another said there are no jobs, yes there may be less jobs but the irony is that there are jobs actually and if you position yourself well enough you'll get one. It includes applying for the right job. Look at this scenerio, GTBank is recruiting and Obasanjo Farms Limited is recruiting at thesame time. Where do you think an Agric Engineer will apply to? Your answer is as good as mine! Yes and this is why I said there is a need for job seekers to apply for jobs that will show their relevance.
Also qualification, the reason why about 55% proceed for Msc is actually because they have a 2.2 and can't get a Job so with their Degrees armed with and Msc they feel they stand a chance of getting a job! On the other hand they become over qualified and some crazy employee feel they can't employ them. Or can't even afford them.
Finally money. Imagine a jobless graduate for 3 years without a job saying he or she can't settle down for an 80k per month job? Simply because its too small! Okay if its too small go and create yours and be your boss.

I believe 4 things get one a Job
-the result
-ability to sell oneself to employers
-Information
-God.

With the right blend of these 4 things, one would surely get a dream job.

22 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by emmerks(m): 4:36pm On Aug 21, 2012
Pls house, how can I remove the etisalat signature attached to my mail.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by hustla(m): 4:43pm On Aug 21, 2012
evvyking: Are u saying we shdnt snd applications via blackberries? We must go tru the laptop? Cuz I dint get dat part well enuf

You can always edit your signature on your blackberry while setting up your email..I think only on 0.S 6.0 + though

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by hustla(m): 4:52pm On Aug 21, 2012
emmerks: Pls house, how can I remove the etisalat signature attached to my mail.

Immediately you set up the emaiil account,scroll down,you will see the 'sent from my .....- signature,edit it,scroll down some more and hit save..
#Done

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by zangiff(m): 5:29pm On Aug 21, 2012
Because you have a good job does not make u feel other av nt done well.Niaja is fucckedd.thats all

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Npower 2017 Pre-selected Applicant Who Has Done Physica Verification Successfuly / FG Registration Of Unemployed Citizens: What You Need To Know (Screenshots) / Gtbank Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.