Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,283 members, 7,826,119 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Calling The Humanist Bluff. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Calling The Humanist Bluff. (16607 Views)

Humanist: Which Of These Will You Entrust Your Girl Child To? / Atheist, Agnostic And Humanist Memes Reloaded... / Great Humanist Quotes That Deserves To Be Mulled Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 5:50pm On Aug 11, 2012
Hey guys, just wanted to share a message I came across

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zI_RNE5smw

The video features Michael Ramsden responding to the definition of humanism as the new religion of a post-modern Europe, Michael quotes Prof John Gray to say that a truly secular worldview does not permit the hope of humanism; humanism, says Gray, is simply the Christian faith delivered in secular terms.

Give it a look and tell me what you think.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by buzugee(m): 6:04pm On Aug 11, 2012
Mr_Anony: Hey guys, just wanted to share a message I came across

The video features Michael Ramsden responding to the definition of humanism as the new religion of a post-modern Europe, Michael quotes Prof John Gray to say that a truly secular worldview does not permit the hope of humanism; humanism, says Gray, is simply the Christian faith delivered in secular terms.

I AINT ABOUT TO WATCH NO EDOMITE HEATHEN TELL ME ABOUT GOD. THATS LIKE BUYING EBA FROM A CHINESE RESTAURANT angry LOL
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 6:48pm On Aug 11, 2012
Mr_Anony:

why ask what people think when you "know" and you are "fully convinced" that morality is not possible without Yahweh.

buddhists who are good are only good because of christian values.

atheists who are good are only good because of christian values.

muslims who are good are only good because of christian values.

anything good can only come from christian values.

some christians are bad because they dont follow the christian values.

thats what i "think" and nobody can convince me otherwise. no way

are you satisfied now?

1 Like

Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 7:01pm On Aug 11, 2012
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 11, 2012
cyrexx:

why ask what people think when you "know" and you are "fully convinced" that morality is not possible without Yahweh.

are you satisfied now?

the irony is that you really are no better. If the above was flipped 180 degrees you would be guilty of the same bias and myopia.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 11, 2012
davidylan:

the irony is that you really are no better. If the above was flipped 180 degrees you would be guilty of the same bias and myopia.
the usual 'if they are right, i accuse them of the same' technique.... classic...
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 3:53am On Aug 12, 2012
buzugee: I AINT ABOUT TO WATCH NO EDOMITE HEATHEN TELL ME ABOUT GOD. THATS LIKE BUYING EBA FROM A CHINESE RESTAURANT angry LOL
Oh racist you grin grin
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 3:56am On Aug 12, 2012
cyrexx:

are you satisfied now?

I would have preferred that you had watched the video instead
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 4:25am On Aug 12, 2012
musKeeto:
the usual 'if they are right, i accuse them of the same' technique.... classic...

For starters, i didnt think cyrexx was right. sometimes its much easier to point out the glaring hypocrisy in a lot of the nonsense atheists spew than to bother dissecting the posts.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by wiegraf: 5:34am On Aug 12, 2012
cyrexx:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7xt5LtgsxQ

This is a great series.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 6:57am On Aug 12, 2012
Mr_Anony:

I would have preferred that you had watched the video instead

What made you think i've not watched the video.

i watched it and my responses were based on what i saw in the video.

you on the other hand, i dont think you watched the video i posted in response to your video, cos the video might be from a "bogus" person if it contains what you dont like.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by turnstoner(m): 8:11am On Aug 12, 2012
Before Christianity there was morality, not so?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 12, 2012
turnstoner: Before Christianity there was morality, not so?

and you know this how?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by turnstoner(m): 8:44am On Aug 12, 2012
You ever heard of history books? Go read some, my friend!
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 9:19am On Aug 12, 2012
cyrexx:

What made you think i've not watched the video.

i watched it and my responses were based on what i saw in the video.

you on the other hand, i dont think you watched the video i posted in response to your video, cos the video might be from a "bogus" person if it contains what you dont like.

Hmm, It was because I saw your responses and your video that convinced me that you didn't watch the original video or perhaps you didn't understand it at all and just posted what you felt would be an appropriate reply. Anyway that's fine, even more amusing is how you throw in the word "bogus" apparently, you are still nursing some wounds from a previous thread.
I was expecting a better debate from you I was hoping you would question the positions of Michael Ramsden and especially professor John Gray being that he is an atheist who doesn't believe that secular humanism logically follows from atheism.

I was expecting a proper informed and knowledgeable debate from you but all I got was a video that doesn't really relate to the topic and sarcastic reply based on your biases and who you suppose me to be. It is alright, you don't have to debate it or comment but I am afraid that the more I encounter you, the more I see a man who has replaced one version of blind faith with another version blind faith.

Don't be a fanatic I beg you. Sit back and properly reason your position. Search for the truth because when you have found it, no one will be able to take it away from you + you will have a ready answer to anyone who asks you about it....because you will know it deep down to be true.

All the best.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by mazaje(m): 9:25am On Aug 12, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Don't be a fanatic I beg you. Sit back and properly reason your position. Search for the truth because when you have found it, no one will be able to take it away from you + you will have a ready answer to anyone who asks you about it....because you will know it deep down to be true.

All the best.

I am yet to see you give any ready or meaningful answer to any question that is being asked of you here. . .By the way truth is relative, no?. . .Your truth is someone else lie. . .And your lie is some one else truth. . .
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by mazaje(m): 9:28am On Aug 12, 2012
Mr_Anony:

I was expecting a better debate from you I was hoping you would question the positions of Michael Ramsden and especially professor John Gray being that he is an atheist who doesn't believe that secular humanism logically follows from atheism.

So one man's opinion which is faulty and baseless in my opinion should be held sacred?. . .His opinion isn't sound. . .
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Enigma(m): 9:28am On Aug 12, 2012
davidylan:

For starters, i didnt think cyrexx was right. sometimes its much easier to point out the glaring hypocrisy in a lot of the nonsense atheists spew than to bother dissecting the posts.

This!
+1
QFT!

I have been saying (and even doing) this for some time; sometimes you wonder why it is worthwhile to school them properly on some things rather leave them in their ignorance or self-delusion; in fact sometimes the reason for responding to them is for the sake of others (rather than themselves) or for some other worthwhile transcending reason.

smiley
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MyJoe: 9:32am On Aug 12, 2012

Why does humanism have to be a total repudiation of Christianity to be valid? But, then, I have not watched the video.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by rhymz(m): 9:42am On Aug 12, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Hmm, It was because I saw your responses and your video that convinced me that you didn't watch the original video or perhaps you didn't understand it at all and just posted what you felt would be an appropriate reply. Anyway that's fine, even more amusing is how you throw in the word "bogus" apparently, you are still nursing some wounds from a previous thread.

I was expecting a proper informed and knowledgeable debate from you but all I got was a video that doesn't really relate to the topic and sarcastic reply based on your biases and who you suppose me to be. It is alright, you don't have to debate it or comment but I am afraid that the more I encounter you, the more I see a man who has replaced one version of blind faith with another version blind faith.

All the best.
I guess what you think you know, IS the truth, right?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 9:46am On Aug 12, 2012
mazaje:

I am yet to see you give any ready or meaningful answer to any question that is being asked of you here. . .By the way truth is relative, no?. . .Your truth is someone else lie. . .And your lie is some one else truth. . .
Lol, this is where I disagree with you: truth is never relative. Truth is always independent of personal opinion. Perhaps, the reason you don't accept an answer as meaningful is because you don't even know what meaning is since everything for you is based on relative opinions but that's by the way, let's move on.

mazaje:
So one man's opinion which is faulty and baseless in my opinion should be held sacred?. . .His opinion isn't sound. . .
Here comes your dilemma: How can you know for sure if his opinion is sound or not when all you have are your own opinions which which other people also consider not to be sound? I'll leave that as an aside for now.

Let me hear your thoughts on the matter: Why is John Gray's stance faulty?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 9:48am On Aug 12, 2012
MyJoe:
Why does humanism have to be a total repudiation of Christianity to be valid? But, then, I have not watched the video.
Perhaps you should just watch the video
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 9:50am On Aug 12, 2012
rhymz: I guess what you think you know, IS the truth, right?
Yes I am sure of it.

....By the way long time no see. You left our "Jesus vs Paul" thread and ran away. How far you?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 12, 2012
davidylan:

and you know this how?
was there any need to ask this question mr itk?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Enigma(m): 9:54am On Aug 12, 2012
. . . .

This is similar to something I said on this forum fairly recently and is a position I had held for some time independently of Gray's work; much of the so-called "values" or "morality" that "secular" humanism seeks to espouse is borrowed (and/or adapted) from the very same much vilified Christianity specifically and religion in general. smiley

As John Gray said (and see my current signature): "To insist that religion is peculiarly malignant is fanaticism, or mere stupidity."

cool
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 12, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, this is where I disagree with you: truth is never relative. Truth is always independent of personal opinion. Perhaps, the reason you don't accept an answer as meaningful is because you don't even know what meaning is since everything for you is based on relative opinions but that's by the way, let's move on.
the only truth independent of personal opinion is SCIENCE. Do you want to disagree?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 9:56am On Aug 12, 2012
Enigma:

This is similar to something I said on this forum fairly recently and is a position I had held for some time independently of Gray's work; much of the so-called "values" or "morality" that "secular" humanism seeks to espouse is borrowed (and/or adapted) from the very same much vilified Christianity specifically and religion in general. smiley

As John Gray said (and see my signature): "To insist that religion is peculiarly malignant is fanaticism, or mere stupidity."

cool
Word!
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 10:01am On Aug 12, 2012
diluminati:
the only truth independent of personal opinion is SCIENCE. Do you want to disagree?
I don't disagree. But the point is that science is a method for finding truth and not a statement of truth itself. Methods of finding truth are mathematics, logic and science. Truth is the conclusion.

Basically, logic in it's many forms is our best method of arriving at the truth.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by okeyxyz(m): 10:08am On Aug 12, 2012
cyrexx:

are you satisfied now?

You may have watched the video but you rather choose to take it completely from a biased standpoint, I was gonna reply to you to say you didn't watch the video but then i thought maybe, just maybe you did watch it and that probably i'm the one missing something, so i had to watch the video a second time and i see the context of your reply which is that professor john gray accuses humanists of believing & practicing christian values, he even accuses richard dawkings of same. But your conclusions are biased because somehow you have resolved that it was @Anony's ulterior motive here, to use the words of a renowned atheist to propagate the christian point of view, thus you have failed to grasp the ultimate message of the presentation which is a challenge to christians or anybody for that matter who holds any conviction, whether they are willing to be tested by such convictions(at least that's what i got from it).

On another point, I watched your video, it was interesting, infact i enjoyed it and have gone ahead to subscribe to that channel so i can watch it's other videos in another time. So while i'm a christian, i'm not afraid to listen to any message objectively because my christianity permits(infact mandates) me to do so, I know how to be open and i'd encourage you try same.

1 Like

Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by mazaje(m): 10:20am On Aug 12, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Lets cut the all the chase here, we are talking about religious "truth" here arent we?. . .It is always based on personal opinion and that is a fact. . .When it comes to religion EVERYTHING is relative and based on opinions and counter opinions. . .

Here comes your dilemma: How can you know for sure if his opinion is sound or not when all you have are your own opinions which which other people also consider not to be sound? I'll leave that as an aside for now.

Let me hear your thoughts on the matter: Why is John Gray's stance faulty?

He claims that a truly secular worldview does not permit the hope of humanism; humanism, says Gray, is simply the Christian faith delivered in secular terms. This is completely false and has no evidence to support it. . .All world views are a creation of humans and as such his premise is false. . .
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by turnstoner(m): 10:42am On Aug 12, 2012
Your best bet for arriving at truths is by empirical enquiry (science). Not just logic. Logic alone is not always self evident
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 10:43am On Aug 12, 2012
okeyxyz:

You may have watched the video but you rather choose to take it completely from a biased standpoint, I was gonna reply to you to say you didn't watch the video but then i thought maybe, just maybe you did watch it and that probably i'm the one missing something, so i had to watch the video a second time and i see the context of your reply which is that professor john gray accuses humanists of believing & practicing christian values, he even accuses richard dawkings of same. But your conclusions are biased because somehow you have resolved that it was @Anony's ulterior motive here, to use the words of a renowned atheist to propagate the christian point of view, thus you have failed to grasp the ultimate message of the presentation which is a challenge to christians or anybody for that matter who holds any conviction, whether they are willing to be tested by such convictions(at least that's what i got from it).

On another point, I watched your video, it was interesting, infact i enjoyed it and have gone ahead to subscribe to that channel so i can watch it's other videos in another time. So while i'm a christian, i'm not afraid to listen to any message objectively because my christianity permits(infact mandates) me to do so, I know how to be open and i'd encourage you try same.

Thank you very much and point noted:

but to really get the gist of my reply, you need to understand many of my past conversations/debates with Mr Anony. i wish many more christians will be like you in that you are willing to listen and consider your opponent's point of view, even if eventually you disagree with them. What other christians want is to demand that you agree with them or you are in error, like the hookline-and-sinker approach in their places of worship. it can be annoying sometimes. Mr Anony especially approaches you like "you are wrong and i am right" everytime you present a case to him. he will ignore all your points and demand that you agree to all his points in a crusade that he alone has the truth and anything that contradicts hims must be a falsehood.

i think you understand me better now. but let me not derail the thread and leave these "righteous" christians to keep calling the humanist's bluff while blocking their ears to understand what humanist really stands for.

cheers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Pastor Michael Todd Coughs & Rubs Spit On Members Face To Prove A Point / 5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / My Best Friend Is Crazy About TB Joshua, Advise Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.