Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,616 members, 7,955,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:02 PM

Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? (19828 Views)

Where Did You Meet Your Spouse / My Husband ‘fingers’ Our Daughters While Bathing Them: Wife Tells Judge / Responsible Women Are Not Materialistic True Or False? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Olaone1: 11:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
fstranger9:

You sound like someone who has been out-competed? lol grin grin grin grin grin

You are right jare. You out-smash-it me and it's annoying grin grin

No foreign accent jare
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Olaone1: 11:18pm On Aug 14, 2012
BTW, Stranger, when did your Stranger series reach NO.9? cheesy
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Piro4rl(m): 11:20pm On Aug 14, 2012
THE LADIES HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT TO LEAVE A QUALITY LIFE, THE LOVE AND MONEY SPENDING HAVE TO BE MUTUAL.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by fstranger9: 11:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ola one: BTW, Stranger, when did your Stranger series reached NO.9? cheesy

Ask Seun. He alone has the answer. Me, I just react to his whims
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Olaone1: 11:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
fstranger9:

Ask Seun. He alone has the answer. Me, I just react to his whims
Don't mind that Seun boy. They all hate Chris Stranger
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Agiliti(m): 11:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Olaone1: 11:51pm On Aug 14, 2012
Agiliti:

well self preservation, of which s/e/x is a major ingredient...im not sure people like einstein and tesla were thinking of punanny when they made their discoveries

undecided undecided. May be they're preternatural beings, abi? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by coogar: 12:02am On Aug 15, 2012
oluite: Growing up as a young girl,it was unheard of to live beyond your pocket money,questions will be asked if your hairdo was too expensive or you have what my mum calls 'unusuals' in your wardrobe or amongst your stuff.Accepting gifts from guys,wahala!!!There must be an acceptable explanation.Talk less of actually asking a guy for money.It was drummed into our ears you must have values,be contented,work hard,be independent et al.

Recently i was so embarrassed when some guys in my office where complaining about todays chics, a guy travelled with his girlfriend for a wedding,he paid all expenses.Suddenly the girlfriend sister and friend appeared in the airport expecting the guy to foot their travel expenses as they claimed to be stranded.These are all working class ladies.Of course no plan to pay back and his girl friend didn't see anything wrong in this arrangement.Another time,a young working class girl ended a relationship majorly because the guy couldn't give her a specific amount for her monthly upkeep. Please she knew exactly what he was earning as well and it wasn't so fantastic?!

I heard and seen many of such from young working women,only to come across a thread here with something similar.Mothers can we discuss this? How did this become the in thing today,where many working single women expect the men in their lives to foot all their bills? Maybe some women are not aware that this is not a good attitude and there should always be balance,boundaries....

the moral decadence in nigeria is peerless. the parents, religious leaders and the society don't care these days how the money is made! people have traded their ethics and moral values for their gluttony!

the men must share some of the blame too. nigerian men have gotten lazier too. they cannot be arsed again to go through the motions of chasing and courting - they pay express service to get the girls laid and move on to the next one....

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by knotty(m): 12:02am On Aug 15, 2012
Materialism ko, raw material ni.
You aint seen nothing yet.
Better be ready to spend your kidney and liver to maintain a relationship in the days ahead.
The fight to live it up is intense and will not abate anytime soon. So, please, spare us all that sermonizing.
Girls of today are in a league of their own and we men propped them up to that position.
By we men, i mean we fathers, boyfs, wannabe lovers and lovers.
Of all of these mothers are the worst culprits because no one is closer to a daughter than the mother.
So, like mothers like daughters.
Like fathers like sons.
Who wants to drive a 505 now when you can do an AudiA8?
We all are materialistic in this new age and time.
Values? That died with Noah and was washed away by the flood of his time.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Olaone1: 12:10am On Aug 15, 2012
knotty: Materialism ko, raw material ni.
You aint seen nothing yet.
Better be ready to spend your kidney and liver to maintain a relationship in the days ahead.
The fight to live it up is intense and will not abate anytime soon. So, please, spare us all that sermonizing.
Girls of today are in a league of their own and we men propped them up to that position.
By we men, i mean we fathers, boyfs, wannabe lovers and lovers.
Of all of these mothers are the worst culprits because no one is closer to a daughter than the mother.
So, like mothers like daughters.
Like fathers like sons.
Who wants to drive a 505 now when you can do a AudiA8?
We all are materialistic in this new age and time.
Values? That died with Noah and was washed away by the flood of his time.
Good point. Let's all slog it out then. But, from experience, women often lose out
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 12:18am On Aug 15, 2012
oluite: Growing up as a young girl,it was unheard of to live beyond your pocket money,questions will be asked if your hairdo was too expensive or you have what my mum calls 'unusuals' in your wardrobe or amongst your stuff.Accepting gifts from guys,wahala!!!There must be an acceptable explanation.Talk less of actually asking a guy for money.It was drummed into our ears you must have values,be contented,work hard,be independent et al.

Recently i was so embarrassed when some guys in my office where complaining about todays chics, a guy travelled with his girlfriend for a wedding,he paid all expenses.Suddenly the girlfriend sister and friend appeared in the airport expecting the guy to foot their travel expenses as they claimed to be stranded.These are all working class ladies.Of course no plan to pay back and his girl friend didn't see anything wrong in this arrangement.Another time,a young working class girl ended a relationship majorly because the guy couldn't give her a specific amount for her monthly upkeep. Please she knew exactly what he was earning as well and it wasn't so fantastic?!

I heard and seen many of such from young working women,only to come across a thread here with something similar.Mothers can we discuss this? How did this become the in thing today,where many working single women expect the men in their lives to foot all their bills? Maybe some women are not aware that this is not a good attitude and there should always be balance,boundaries....

Hmm. Maybe there is hope afterall.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by knotty(m): 12:18am On Aug 15, 2012
Slug out as much as you want, these girls do not give a hoot about what lies ahead.
Today is all that counts, everything else is collateral damages.
After all, its their lives
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by phraze(m): 12:19am On Aug 15, 2012
May God help Us All.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by coogar: 12:21am On Aug 15, 2012
phraze: I had a gud gurlfrend 5yrs ago. While we chatted i revealed to her then that she wil disown me. 5yrs came and she did. I love our women, strong and up to any task but the post traumitic emotional stress they face after a one break up or the other lingers with them forever. They need Physchological Pills and God Heals.

your girlfriend disowned you? rofl
please elaborate!

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by CHIMSKY(m): 12:31am On Aug 15, 2012
I grew up in a house filled with strong,educated women.The deal was that if a woman was well educated,she would be independent and able to proudly pay her way in life without any insult.
Sadly when I got to school,I wondered what all the fuss was about girl-child education?
Several of my classmates who made 2.1s, women with real potential simply pissed away their degrees and packed into the houses of guys who could barely feed themselves so they could answer Madam.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by phraze(m): 12:34am On Aug 15, 2012
May God Help Us.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by knotty(m): 12:43am On Aug 15, 2012
@CHIMSKY^^^^^
Ordinarily,nothing is patently wrong with your home assumption that education holds the key to a woman,s freedom other than the naivety that comes with such reasoning as you timelily found out.
Who wants to pore over some nonsense books when you can have it all dropt at your doorpost by a poor boy who has tolled and toiled all his life to have a girl at his armpit called by his name?
But then, this line deviates from the discourse of this thread.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by phraze(m): 12:43am On Aug 15, 2012
May HE help US.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by coogar: 12:49am On Aug 15, 2012
phraze: just look at you. You give more grieviences than a pitbul... Just look at that.. Yea she did. I am unhappy she joined the cult. All of you women. A war is coming Soon. Change or Die. My 3cents. WHORES!

she joined the cult n disowned you or you left her because she joined the cult? which is which? so sad a woman had to turn you into a complete maniac who now clamours for war on women!! better slow your roll before you hurt a woman by bathing her with acid or committing murder!
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by phraze(m): 12:58am On Aug 15, 2012
God! Help Us.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by kpolli(m): 1:50am On Aug 15, 2012
God bless this poster
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by EagleNest(m): 5:33am On Aug 15, 2012
love of money is the root of all evil. the first blame must go the parents.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by acidtalk: 5:49am On Aug 15, 2012
GOD BLESS MY MOTHER!!!
When I see my sisters today, I just can't but thank God for the mother that trained them.
If I never associated with other Nigerian babes I would have probably thought all ladies were as decent, hardworking and 'shy to collect' like my lovely sisters.

I stay in the part of Town where though the rents are extremely high, you get mainly young married couples and bachelors living in the Estate. One thing I have noticed is that 90% of the young bachelors drive in and out with at least 4-5 different ladies in a week.

What this means is that it is almost a miracle to see guys repeating 'a lady' in a week. You want to ask why? Most of these guys spend heavily on furnishing their houses and buying powerful automobiles (some on loan while some are from debt from family and friends) just to live a fake and inpressive lifestyle. Most of these girls almost never want to leave such a guy after visiting is well furnished and high tech apartment, knowing the guy is a FULL fledged bachelor.

Now the thing is while some are there to always demand to meet up with their poverty stricken hungry stomach, some just stick along and want to associate with a so called "big boy".

To be fair to some ladies, the ONLY ones who don't demand are girls from extremely comfortable homes and who weren't influenced by peer pressure. A larger number of girls out there are just irritating annoying panhandlers.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by jaybee3(m): 6:21am On Aug 15, 2012
It's just the damn Nigerian way
Greed Greed Greed
Our men doing all sort to get the money
Our women turning the blind eye to how the money was gotten all because of the thirst for good things life has to offer.

Armed robbery is yet to be synonymous with Nigerian females so logic tells me that if the men stop feeding these obvious thirst then may be just maybe our women will learn to understand and appreciate the benefits of hard work
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by slimojas89(m): 6:30am On Aug 15, 2012
Seriously a lot of us fall into the "who to blame" in all these. From family to friends and individuals. Bad homes breed bad chicks. 9ja guys too don't help matters. By their fruits ye shall know them, its even in the bible. I meet a lady for jus 30mins and I know the kinna gf she might turn out to be and its left for me to back-out or stay and finish my pocket because I think the said lady is "so" pretty. Growing up has taught me that beauty is in the mind and heart of a wife-to-be and I move with that in mind. The thing is that wise guys that have some extra cash have fun with the young ladies who are into the "worldlies" and marry a decent girls..the ladies we are tAlking about here are mainly between their teenage yrs and maybe 27 cos after then they really start thinking about settling down and the way to achieve that is to put themselves together or end up single and the talk of people Who knew them since.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by samfibby(m): 8:56am On Aug 15, 2012
@ Jamey Maxwell, seems u have a serious grudge with both local n foreign artists. lol grin
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Benito69(m): 8:56am On Aug 15, 2012
The problem is not with your daughter, it is with the human race. Mankind has a nature of always wanting to gather as much as possible, under different excuses. As we approach towards the end-times, these sinful traits will get multiplied and appear as though it is a new occurrence. Materialistic tendencies have always been there.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by holysina(m): 9:04am On Aug 15, 2012
warrior01:
yeah! You're right but where are they?

hahahahahahaha, infact, were dem de??
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by lanrefront1(m): 9:08am On Aug 15, 2012
The bad economy visited on us by our corrupt and evil leaders have definitely contributed to this phenomenon immensely.

It jumped-start it.

But after, other very powerful factors came in. Nollywood like someone has said has really done of damage to our young girls over the last 10 years. Then the music industry. Almost every song is about having a lot of money, and girls flocking around you because of the money, and earning people's deep respect and admiration because of the money; even their love songs are about money-love: that is if you love me I will spoil you with money.

Imagine teenage girls singing and dancing to P-Square's song: " you must chop my money, chop my money, chop my money o, because I get am plenty.....

Yet when you listen to lyrics of the song and watch the video, you see that it's talking about love from a respectable woman.

So when teenage girls listen to these type of songs 90 percent of the time all their teenage life, what kind of young women do you think they will become.

The same goes for our teenage boys too. They only have respect for their elders, except the ones with money. They look down older than them who don't have money. They respond non-challantly to people they think are poor and are exited to run errands and gist with a bros loaded and sophisticated.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:19am On Aug 15, 2012
ARGH!!! WHO TO BLAME!!!

Okay!! wait!! Let me speak as an elder;

1. Blame MTV.. Kids watch MTV and see all those Na'ked girls dancing in those videos, sitting in Maybachs, sipping champagne, shopping in Milan, lounging in the Bahamas and stuff like that and want all that. Then it sipped into Nigeria and even our local musical acts started flossing dollar bills in videos and talking about 'Emi Baba Olowo'. But whats sad is our daughters see this and somehow want all that flash and glam, but MTV fails to tell them they need to work for it. Rather MTV almost seems to tell them they have to LovePeddler for it.

2. Blame Parents.. I remember the one time I was out in the club and met this young pretty girl who was dressed in less than half yard of fabric. What stunned me was at the end, I dropped her off at her daddy's house by 3 a.m. I could only imagine what the parents were looking at when they let their daughter leave the house dressed like that. Also, its a parents responsibility to impart certain morals into their wards. It goes beyond 'Be a good girl' talk & taking her to church every sunday. Today, most girls cant cook. She knows the latest line of shoes by Chris Loboutin, she can tell the difference between a knock off Prada bag and an Original from 30 feet away, but she cant cook anything that does come in a tin or can be microwaved. This, is the fault of the mothers and fathers. Train up a child in the way they should go and when they grow, they shall not depart from it. Like someone said to me once, what you dont teach your kid, someone else will.

3. Blame the Girls themselves.. YES!! Una no get sense?!! Why would you allow yourselves be carried away by the flash and glam?! I remember a friends party where we had two girls call their friends to come join us. When these girls came, they joined in and as we were about to leave, all the other girls hopped into the different cars of the boys they had only just met less than 2hours ago except one who really begged me to please take her home as she only came to party not to go home with any of us.. You girls complain when men treat you like trash yet you behave like trash. How seriously do you think a man will take you dressed like a LovePeddler and acting like one?! Do you think he will marry you and let you raise his own daughters to be like you? USE YOUR HEAD.. A Man is attracted to your figure and shape and all, but will never marry you because you look good in fake hair. Men respect women who are professionals (Medical doctor, Lawyer, Engineer), career oriented (working and atleast in school), domesticated (who can cook so well he dosent miss his mum) and level headed (Morals) who can mother his children and keep his home.. Those fake nails and har dont impress us..

4. Peer Pressure.. YUP!! The friends we keep influence our behavior. I started smoking weed because my friends I hung with did. Most girls get dragged into this useless lifestyle by friends. You can imagine all your friends have Blackberry, have been to Dubai, have top designer labels (shoes, bags and accessories), attend the biggest parties in town, spend weekends at 4 star hotels, live lavishly and all this is cortesy of some Alhaji, Senator or Oil big boy... Omo! It takes the heart of stone to be able to overcome these pressures.. Do you know that amongst boys, its a taboo to be a virgin?!!

5. The Economy.. The economic situation in the country is now such that most homes now require both parents to work to sustain them. This now leaves the raising of kids to illiterate nannies and househelps. Most of these kids have no morals because mummy and daddy are too busy to teach them. These type of kids are the ones you see in the club at 15. Also the poor availiability of work has also affected the moral of the young girls who barely have working class role models to look up to anymore.. They see the whorish girls living better than hardworking girls and feel the easy way is better.

6. Blame Disney Channel: Look at all those shows like Hannah Montana and co.. What do they teach our kids biko?!

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by omoharry(f): 10:00am On Aug 15, 2012
Nigeria men also have this issues with materialism. I met a guy online and everthing was perfect on the fone.We were friends for a month. The day he came to my office and realize i m not the million dolla babe as he expected, that was the end of the friendship . Nigerian men actually go for this pourch babes and end up complaining of how greedy and fake they are.I think people attract like minds.So if u are a man that settle for morals and values, there is no way you would end up with fake and extravant ladies.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Pakavy(m): 10:06am On Aug 15, 2012
mevisbleek: The problem is not the women but the men. Naija men find it difficult to tell women that THEY CANNOT AFFORD SOMETHING. Guys then earlier u start saying to ur woman "BABY I CANNOT AFFORD THIS", the better for us all.
dont generalize pls,just admit u dont kno when,how and where 2 say no

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

K-legs Or Bow Legs; Which One Is More Sexy To You? / Share Your Experience As The Lastborn / Sisi Quadri Biography: Wife, Age, Net Worth, Cause Of Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.