Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? (19616 Views)

Where Did You Meet Your Spouse / My Husband ‘fingers’ Our Daughters While Bathing Them: Wife Tells Judge / Responsible Women Are Not Materialistic True Or False? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by oluite(f): 12:56pm On Aug 14, 2012
Growing up as a young girl,it was unheard of to live beyond your pocket money,questions will be asked if your hairdo was too expensive or you have what my mum calls 'unusuals' in your wardrobe or amongst your stuff.Accepting gifts from guys,wahala!!!There must be an acceptable explanation.Talk less of actually asking a guy for money.It was drummed into our ears you must have values,be contented,work hard,be independent et al.

Recently i was so embarrassed when some guys in my office where complaining about todays chics, a guy travelled with his girlfriend for a wedding,he paid all expenses.Suddenly the girlfriend sister and friend appeared in the airport expecting the guy to foot their travel expenses as they claimed to be stranded.These are all working class ladies.Of course no plan to pay back and his girl friend didn't see anything wrong in this arrangement.Another time,a young working class girl ended a relationship majorly because the guy couldn't give her a specific amount for her monthly upkeep. Please she knew exactly what he was earning as well and it wasn't so fantastic?!

I heard and seen many of such from young working women,only to come across a thread here with something similar.Mothers can we discuss this? How did this become the in thing today,where many working single women expect the men in their lives to foot all their bills? Maybe some women are not aware that this is not a good attitude and there should always be balance,boundaries....

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by obowunmi(m): 1:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
Its a MYTH that Nigerian women are into money this much. I don't believe this is true. Men who live above and beyond their means because of a woman are the ones complaining the most. If you have to pretend and live above your means to be with a woman, it means, it is not meant to be.

There are many women in Nigeria that marry for love and I choose to see and believe that.

22 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by seasonedmom: 1:08pm On Aug 14, 2012
The society has become materialistic and what the young chics are doing is just a reflection of our shameful or shall I say shameless society. No dignity to womanhood.Its a real pity to hear about how the young girls are lured by the rich sugar daddies (in those days, it was a shameful thing to have a sugar daddy) and yet these same dirty old men expect their sons to marry 'good'girls.

5 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by EfemenaXY: 1:17pm On Aug 14, 2012
oluite: Growing up as a young girl,it was unheard of to live beyond your pocket money,questions will be asked if your hairdo was too expensive or you have what my mum calls 'unusuals' in your wardrobe or amongst your stuff.Accepting gifts from guys,wahala!!!There must be an acceptable explanation.Talk less of actually asking a guy for money.It was drummed into our ears you must have values,be contented,work hard,be independent et al.

Recently i was so embarrassed when some guys in my office where complaining about todays chics,a guy travelled with his girlfriend for a wedding,he paid all expenses.Suddenly the girlfriend sister and friend appeared in the airport expecting the guy to foot their travel expenses as they claimed to be stranded.These are all working class ladies.Of course no plan to pay back and his girl friend didn't see anything wrong in this arrangement.[/b]Another time,a young working class girl ended a relationship majorly because the guy couldn't give her a specific amount for her monthly upkeep.Please she knew exactly what he was earning as well and it wasn't so fantastic?!

I heard and seen many of such from young working women,only to come across a thread here with something similar.Mothers can we discuss this? How did this become the in thing today,where many working single women expect the men in their lives to foot all their bills? Maybe some women are not aware that this is not a good attitude and there should always be balance,boundaries....

Someone aptly described this mentality as [b]Ghetto / firewood background wanna be's
aspiring to climb up the social ladder via a male meal ticket.

There's a thread recently opened by CC regarding parents raising their daughter's to have good self-esteem and respect for themselves. Most of the questions you ask here are addressed by parents in that thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/1012348/parents-how-teach-daughters-self-esteem

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:07pm On Aug 14, 2012
What you mentioned is now the order of the day. In the real sense of it, they are not our daughters. They are our colleagues, neighbors, and sometimes friends.

We mothers should endeavour to train our daughters up in a manner that will not bring disgrace to us in the future.

4 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by warrior01: 3:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
obowunmi: Its a MYTH that Nigerian women are into money this much. I don't believe this is true. Men who live above and beyond their means because of a woman are the ones complaining the most. If you have to pretend and live above your means to be with a woman, it means, it is not meant to be.

There are many women in Nigeria that marry for love and I choose to see and believe that.
yeah! You're right but where are they?
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 14, 2012
obowunmi: Its a MYTH that Nigerian women are into money this much. I don't believe this is true. Men who live above and beyond their means because of a woman are the ones complaining the most. If you have to pretend and live above your means to be with a woman, it means, it is not meant to be.

True.You can tell a woman living above her means why must you be with such a woman and then turn round and complain.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by oluite(f): 3:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
@Efemena,
Thats an insightful thread,trust CC,am still going through it.
@Seasoned mum,
I don't even want to think of the aristo business,its almost normal today to have one aristo and a boyfriend by the side shocked!
Tgirl4real: What you mentioned is now the order of the day. In the real sense of it, they are not our daughters. They are our colleagues, neighbors, and sometimes friends.

We mothers should endeavour to train our daughters up in a manner that will not bring disgrace to us in the future.
So right..

@Warrior,
Many women still marry for love and they are everywhere.Just keep looking.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by oluite(f): 3:49pm On Aug 14, 2012
andromida:

True.You can tell a woman living above her means why must you be with such a woman and then turn round and complain.

True
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by JameyMaxwell(m): 3:54pm On Aug 14, 2012
This behaviour is not nyce.
I blame P-square's for this development.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Krest247: 4:09pm On Aug 14, 2012
The truth is that most girls are so lazy, they completely depend on a guy for a living. Most of them like to brag to her friends about her boy friend so they can respect her. I believe the solution to this problem is get rid of this type of girls..

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by EfemenaXY: 4:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
oluite: @Efemena,
Thats an insightful thread,trust CC,am still going through it.
@Seasoned mum,
I don't even want to think of the aristo business,its almost normal today to have one aristo and a boyfriend by the side shocked!

So right..

@Warrior,
Many women still marry for love and they are everywhere.Just keep looking.

What does "aristo" mean? I'm guessing it's some sort of slang? undecided
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Johndoe100(m): 4:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
Tgirl4real: What you mentioned is now the order of the day. In the real sense of it, they are not our daughters. They are our colleagues, neighbors, and sometimes friends.

What makes you think that women think this is a disgrace?

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Aug 14, 2012
Shameful to say the least, it hit me that we have a huge problem when a neighbor I respected as a Christain Mother in Church asked if they could park her daughters car at our place because they didn't want the father who was coming in to know she had a car.
This girl was in school oh, when I asked the Mom who bought the car for her she said "a friend", when I asked what kind of friend, the woman eyed me and left my house as if to say "enemy of progress". My sister I don't know where we learnt this oh.
My parents always hammered into us to grow and build a life with any man we settle with. Once I remember my Mum Nagged me for days because I accepted a gift from a guy I wasn't interested in dating, she was upset and couldn't understand why I will receieve his gift when I wasn't planning to have him around, even after I returned the gift the nagging didn't end, this was @ 24 when I had a second degree and was working oh.
So I am really saddened by this trend, greed greed every where grab grab, like death the bilbe says a greedy man or woman never has enough, he takes everybodys share without a conscience.
Money shouldn't define or make us, money is a means to an end not the end, for me the benefits of money is to be able to share, give people who have no access to education an opportunity to be educated, give people who can't afford medical care some help.
Churches don't make it easier, I was suprised when the same University girl with the car came and invited me to church for her car dedication, I asked her if the Pastor didn't ask where she got the car, she said her pastor only asked that she bring a fat offering for dedication. Everywhere you turn, its money money money, people who define themselves by clothes, and other materialistic items.
We should also teach our kids the benefit of hard work not cheap money. My son already knows that the worst way he can ask for anything is to tell me he wants it because so and so has it. I have taught him that he doesn't need to have everything others have, he needs to be content and appreciative, and also learn to share and not just demand

37 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by oluite(f): 4:32pm On Aug 14, 2012
@Krest,
Its more of a problem with our value system,a system where morals and values rank at the very bottom and money at the very top.

debrief08[b:
]Shameful to say the least, it hit me that we have a huge problem when a neighbor I respected as a Christain Mother in Church asked if they could park her daughters car at our place because they didn't want the father who was coming in to know she had a car.
This girl was in school oh, when I asked the Mom who bought the car for her she said "a friend", when I asked what kind of friend, the woman eyed me and left my house as if to say "enemy of progress". My sister I don't know where we learnt this oh.[/b]
My parents always hammered into us to grow and build a life with any man we settle with. Once I remember my Mum Nagged me for days because I accepted a gift from a guy I wasn't interested in dating, she was upset and couldn't understand why I will receieve his gift when I wasn't planning to have him around, even after I returned the gift the nagging didn't end, this was @ 24 when I had a second degree and was working oh.
So I am really saddened by this trend, greed greed every where grab grab, like death the bilbe says a greedy man or woman never has enough, he takes everybodys share without a conscience.
Money shouldn't define or make us, money is a means to an end not the end, for me the benefits of money is to be able to share, give people who have no access to education an opportunity to be educated, give people who can't afford medical care some help.
Churches don't make it easier, I was suprised when the same University girl with the car came and invited me to church for her car dedication, I asked her if the Pastor didn't ask where she got the car, she said her pastor only asked that she bring a fat offering for dedication. Everywhere you turn, its money money money, people who define themselves by clothes, and other materialistic items.
We should also teach our kids the benefit of hard work not cheap money. My son already knows that the worst way he can ask for anything is to tell me he wants it because so and so has it. I have taught him that he doesn't need to have everything others have, he needs to be content and appreciative, and also learn to share and not just demand
Abi how else can one explain this? shocked

@Efemena,

Aristo is an older,wealthier,married man friend more like a sugar daddy.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by EfemenaXY: 4:34pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ah, I see. Thanks smiley
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Tgirl4real(f): 4:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
Johndoe100:

What makes you think that women think this is a disgrace?

Putting the tone of the post in perspective, it is disgraceful to someone like the poster.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by JameyMaxwell(m): 4:48pm On Aug 14, 2012
Actually, Foreign way of lyfe also has a major impact.
Can yhu imagine after hearing
“WHO RUNZ THE WORLD” by Beyonce, my babe wants to be telling me what to do and haw to do it and when to do it?
What rubbish?

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 14, 2012
Jamey Maxwell: Actually, Foreign way of lyfe also has a major impact.
Can yhu imagine after hearing
“WHO RUNZ THE WORLD” by Beyonce, my babe wants to be telling me what to do and haw to do it and when to do it?
What rubbish?
Foreign culture has little to ndeal with this greed and madness, when you go out for lunch you split the cheque, except the other person invites you for a date, not like here where you have lunch and the girl brings along 6 friends who keep ordering nonesense they cant even eat just because they have seen someone whose money to spend.
Take a lot of ladies out they start eating and eating ordering the most expensive drinks not even caring about protruding stomachs and fat tighs.
Greed Greed Greed, like death a greedy person will never have enough
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by EfemenaXY: 5:01pm On Aug 14, 2012
debrief08:
Foreign culture has little to ndeal with this greed and madness, when you go out for lunch you split the cheque, except the other person invites you for a date, not like here where you have lunch and the girl brings along 6 friends who keep ordering nonesense they cant even eat just because they have seen someone whose money to spend.
Take a lot of ladies out they start eating and eating ordering the most expensive drinks not even caring about protruding stomachs and fat tighs.
Greed Greed Greed, like death a greedy person will never have enough

Then in that case, the guy should take an excuse from the girls that he needs to go to the loo, then behind their backs, go tell the owner of the restaurant to get his money from the girls in question.

What arrant nonsense! If this shyte happens for real in this day and age, then why on earth do they complain when the guys treat them like tramps??
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by JameyMaxwell(m): 5:05pm On Aug 14, 2012
So guys tooo are to blame for giving all their power to their women and making them the center of their world

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Johndoe100(m): 5:08pm On Aug 14, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Putting the tone of the post in perspective, it is disgraceful to someone like the poster.

Sadly the poster is just another fake female. If you were to investigate her life, you will find that she is in it with the best of them. Women are so hypocritical it's unbelievable. That's why every woman in Nigeria is a virgin, even the ones in the maternity wards.

3 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by EfemenaXY: 5:15pm On Aug 14, 2012
Johndoe100:

Sadly the poster is just another fake female. If you were to investigate her life, you will find that she is in it with the best of them. Women are so hypocritical it's unbelievable. That's why every woman in Nigeria is a virgin, even the ones in the[b] maternity wards[/b].

At times like this, you crack me up! grin grin grin
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Favben(m): 6:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
I laugh in wazobia. In any case I pity any sweetheart that will or intends to play such games with moi cos she will be so disappointed. More like dip your hand in my pocket and take it.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Tgirl4real(f): 7:37pm On Aug 14, 2012
Johndoe100:

Sadly the poster is just another fake female. If you were to investigate her life, you will find that she is in it with the best of them. Women are so hypocritical it's unbelievable. That's why every woman in Nigeria is a virgin, even the ones in the maternity wards.

Hehehehe

I must be a virgin too after one. Lol
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 14, 2012
debrief08: Shameful to say the least, it hit me that we have a huge problem when a neighbor I respected as a Christain Mother in Church asked if they could park her daughters car at our place because they didn't want the father who was coming in to know she had a car.
This girl was in school oh, when I asked the Mom who bought the car for her she said "a friend", when I asked what kind of friend, the woman eyed me and left my house as if to say "enemy of progress". My sister I don't know where we learnt this oh.

This is the crux of the problem, aint no values in the Nigerian society anymore, just naira values.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by 193: 8:08pm On Aug 14, 2012
blame it on their mom

you hear a mother saying, prisilla you nor dey shame
go look your friend philomena kant you see how rich and sophisticated she is
not know whats behind philomena's wealth either her ritual boyfriend or shes a prostitute
that would giger the poor girl into going out for the money at all cost

but to be honest, i think most Nigerian gurls are materialistic as a result of peer pressure of wanting 2 belong!

its pathetic!!

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Rocket4real(m): 8:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
This is a vry xerious issue dat haz been bordering me, something nid 2 be done 2 curd dz trend coz it z spreading lyk fire to almost evry gurl. Parentz nid 2 find a solutn 2 dz "cankerwar" dt z wat i called it. May GOD HELP US.This is a vry xerious issue dat haz been bordering me, something nid 2 be done 2 curd dz trend coz it z spreading lyk fire to almost evry gurl. Parentz nid 2 find a solutn 2 dz "cankerwar" dt z wat i called it. May GOD HELP US.This is a vry xerious issue dat haz been bordering me, something nid 2 be done 2 curd dz trend coz it z spreading lyk fire to almost evry gurl. Parentz nid 2 find a solutn 2 dz "cankerwar" dt z wat i called it. May GOD HELP US.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Super1759: 8:15pm On Aug 14, 2012
mami-water taught them
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 14, 2012
story tht touches the heart
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Pakavy(m): 8:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
is just one minor sign of d end tymz!
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by ebamma(m): 8:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
for a girl who likes money there are two things involved,its either her parents are rich or her parents are poor. If her parents are rich she is safe,but if her parents her poor there are two things involved its either she sleeps around for the money or marries a rich guy ,if she marries a rich guy she is safe,but if she sleeps around for the money there are two things involved,its either she contacts gonorrhea or she contacts hiv,if she contacts gonorrhea she is safe,but if she contacts hiv there is only one thing involved she will die

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Which Bills Do You Hate Paying The Most? / Missing Person: Baba Lawal (Picture) / My Baby Has Refused To Eat.please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.