Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,446 members, 7,954,762 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:37 AM

At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? (7768 Views)

Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? / Do You Obey Traffic Lights At Night / Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by Widow(m): 8:16am On Aug 15, 2012
I value the health of my car and would rather protect the automatic gearbox than
conserve fuel.

At traffic lights (Especially those long ones) What does Nairaland Engineers recommend?

Change to Neutral , Your gearbox is relieved and that is what the owners manual says.
Change to park, Your Engine is happier and you dont need to press Brake.
Stay in Drive and Just hold your Brake pedal down, Your Gear Selector System lasts longer.

I usually change to Neutral, But I am worried that this Change-up, Change-down
might actually be bad for what I am trying to protect. MY GEARBOX. angry
Your views
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by OROZ(m): 7:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
the best option is stay neutral, its closer to the drive and u dont have to stress either the gear or ur engine,thats my opinion from autowiz, ph
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by Lexusgs430: 12:24am On Aug 16, 2012
Neutral + hand brake engaged. (my preference)
In a manual transmission, neutral + hand brake. (my preference)
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by Nobody: 6:23am On Aug 16, 2012
I don't use my handbrake unless I'm parked up. Even on a hill or incline with Manual, I've got enough clutch control not to roll forwards or backwards. With Auto / Tiptronic, I simply use my foot brake.
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by Emperoh(m): 10:02am On Aug 16, 2012
Siena: I don't use my handbrake unless I'm parked up. Even on a hill or incline with Manual, I've got enough clutch control not to roll forwards or backwards. With Auto / Tiptronic, I simply use my foot brake.

I wonder why hand brake. It's neutral and foot brake.

Pls i need your heads up here;
https://www.nairaland.com/1019130/failing-gear-chevrolet-express-3500
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by Lexusgs430: 10:39am On Aug 16, 2012
Siena: I don't use my handbrake unless I'm parked up. Even on a hill or incline with Manual, I've got enough clutch control not to roll forwards or backwards. With Auto / Tiptronic, I simply use my foot brake.

In long traffic holdups, excessive and unnecessary depressing of foot brakes, leads to disc warp. A common lexus disc problem. Had to upgrade all discs to brembos ventilated.
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
Lexusgs430:

In long traffic holdups, excessive and unnecessary depressing of foot brakes, leads to disc warp. A common lexus disc problem. Had to upgrade all discs to brembos ventilated.

You're referring to "hot spots" due to the pads being in contact with the discs whilst hot. Hot spots that could lead to buckling. The same applies to the rear discs, with the pads clamped on the discs (handbrake engaged). If you run good quality discs, they won't warp.

I passed my driving test in 1988, and have been driving ever since. Never suffered disc warpage, and when I drive, I drive HARD. So my discs have had every opportunity to warp, but they don't. My Audi S8 is running Brembo's all round.
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by Lexusgs430: 4:23am On Aug 17, 2012
Siena:

You're referring to "hot spots" due to the pads being in contact with the discs whilst hot. Hot spots that could lead to buckling. The same applies to the rear discs, with the pads clamped on the discs (handbrake engaged). If you run good quality discs, they won't warp.

I passed my driving test in 1988, and have been driving ever since. Never suffered disc warpage, and when I drive, I drive HARD. So my discs have had every opportunity to warp, but they don't. My Audi S8 is running Brembo's all round.

I passed my driving test in 1986 (1st attempt). The disc that warped on my lexus was the original one fitted by lexus, hence my brembos replacement all round. I do not always drive as hard, driving hard a 4.3 V8 @ £1.33 a litre, will do serious damage to my bank balance.
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by dioman: 3:07pm On Aug 21, 2012
Stay in gear cos any driver won't stay more 2min without moving (@least 10 meters)
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 21, 2012
Lexusgs430:

I passed my driving test in 1986 (1st attempt). The disc that warped on my lexus was the original one fitted by lexus, hence my brembos replacement all round. I do not always drive as hard, driving hard a 4.3 V8 @ £1.33 a litre, will do serious damage to my bank balance.

Drive it like you stole it bro. With me, it's gas pedal to the floorboards most of the time.

Where abouts are you in the UK? Would be cool to meet up sometime, and talk cars. smiley
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by Lexusgs430: 11:18pm On Aug 22, 2012
Siena:

Drive it like you stole it bro. With me, it's gas pedal to the floorboards most of the time.

Where abouts are you in the UK? Would be cool to meet up sometime, and talk cars. smiley

I am the one you see on the M25 cruising slowly on the inside lane. I stay @ a little village in Kent. You meant you talk cars, while I listen like a willing apprentice!!!!
Re: At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 23, 2012
Mr siena so you have started derailing topics too, too bad mehn, lol. You failed to reply to the thread accordingly, question was what the best to do with an auto gearbox while in traffick, P,N or remain on D and then you went on to talk about your brakes this brembo that lmao

(1) (Reply)

5 Typical Signs Of A Bad Airbag Sensor / 5 Warning Signs Of Low Coolant In Car / Land Rover Freelander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.