Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,023 members, 7,953,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:09 AM

Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! (17379 Views)

PHCN Official Electrocuted On A Pole At Police College In Lagos (Photos) / Buhari's Portrait Hung On A Pole In Cameroon (Photo) / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by mesef(f): 9:45am On Aug 15, 2012
There's new development in Lagos since PHCN stabilized electricity...Lagosians especially around the mainland,are beginning to connect their electricity directly to the wire poles because they feel they exhaust their meter card too quickly and they do not want to buy the meter recharge cards again!!just imagine!!

Its so sad that we quick judge and chastise the govt and authorities but we forget to start the discipline from ourselves and our environs...

Its sad and disheartening!

13 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by PhysicsQED(m): 10:41am On Aug 15, 2012
That sounds awful. I hope that trend doesn't spread.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by OneNaira6: 12:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
Very dangerous. So disheartening.

Chiamanda once said, the best way to fix Nigeria is by reteaching the people right and wrong.

5 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by odumchi: 2:59pm On Aug 15, 2012
That's very dangerous.

As long as the prices are reasonable, people should be willing to pay for their electricity usage.

Anyway, culture >>> politics.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by kunlekunle: 3:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
when you make laws you protect them.

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by 1800bc(f): 5:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
Hahahahaha! Nigerians are a funny sect... I love Nigerians..
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by donkarly(m): 7:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
its very dangerous,but i dont blame those that do it in a way.the new meter is set by phcn to run very fast so they'll be making much money.my friend who stays in okota was using the old meter until sometime last year when the new meter was installed.the 1st n 2nd card finished within one month n when one of the guys that installed it was contacted,my friend was asked to pay a certain amount which he did for the meter to be reset.i'll rather blame phcn for the trend..

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by 2mch(m): 7:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
It has been happening for a very long time. grin cheesy. Too bad. Desperate people and very ingenuous.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by PhysicsQED(m): 11:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
donkarly: its very dangerous,but i dont blame those that do it in a way.[/b]the new meter is set by phcn to run very fast so they'll be making much money.my friend who stays in okota was using the old meter until sometime last year when the new meter was installed.the 1st n 2nd card finished within one month n when one of the guys that installed it was contacted,my friend was asked to pay a certain amount which he did for the meter to be reset.[b]i'll rather blame phcn for the trend..

It's a crime and all of those that do it should be reported to the police to be penalized. It's just theft, period.

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by kobojunkii(f): 12:30am On Aug 16, 2012
This is new? For real?

OP: How old are you?
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by kobojunkii(f): 12:32am On Aug 16, 2012
PhysicsQED:

It's a crime and all of those that do it should be reported to the police to be penalized. It's just theft, period.

What police? The same police that is just as guilty?

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by donkarly(m): 12:48am On Aug 16, 2012
PhysicsQED:

which police,for naija?i laugh in latin.. grin

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by donkarly(m): 12:49am On Aug 16, 2012
kobojunkii:

grin
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by PhysicsQED(m): 1:10am On Aug 16, 2012
kobojunkii:

What's with the lower case? Am I speaking to Kobojunkie's midget cousin?

Just as guilty of tapping electricity, or taking bribes?

Yeah, on second thought, the offenders will just bribe the police and all will be forgotten. That sucks.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Omexonomy: 5:59am On Aug 16, 2012
@op for crying out loud i hope you are earning above the minimum wage. A lot of people ar poor that to them electricity is very expensive. One thing is certain when a commodity is too expensive people will certainly cut conners to get it. How many of the consumers are earning above ten thousand per month what percentage of thier income will go to PHCN. The govt should have cosidered all these b4 imposing it on the people

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by ektbear: 6:27am On Aug 16, 2012
Very, very unfortunate.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by PhysicsQED(m): 10:10am On Aug 16, 2012
Omexonomy: @op for crying out loud i hope you are earning above the minimum wage. A lot of people ar poor that to them electricity is very expensive. One thing is certain when a commodity is too expensive people will certainly cut conners to get it. How many of the consumers are earning above ten thousand per month what percentage of thier income will go to PHCN. The govt should have cosidered all these b4 imposing it on the people

I don't understand why people are making excuses for a criminal act that is so clearly undeserving of sympathy. When an even poorer person elsewhere has even less electricity than usual because of the actions of these thieves, I wonder if people will still be trying to defend them.

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by ektbear: 10:12am On Aug 16, 2012
I guess for many Nigerians, theft is OK, so long as the criminal is a poor man.

Even if the end result of that theft is likely poor power supply and limited investor interest in Nigerian electricity.

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by SkyBlue1: 11:22am On Aug 16, 2012
Crimes like these should start being made punishable with huge fines or jail time. If you think your electricity runs out too fast when you recharge then regulate what you use better. Nigerians hate paying for stuff, it is like kryptonite to them. But they will be the first to complain when what they are not ready to pay for is taken away. Which is why, even with all the noise being made by Ajaero, I am happy power is going private. Private companies will be more inclined to take this theft seriously and move to prosecute accordingly as a warning to others because this is lost revenue.

And please let us do away with the myth that this is only being commited by "poor people". Nigerians are just so accustomed to indiscipline, and someone doig this will be seen as a "wise/sharp guy". Please, let us not develop into India!

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by SkyBlue1: 11:28am On Aug 16, 2012
Omexonomy: @op for crying out loud i hope you are earning above the minimum wage. A lot of people ar poor that to them electricity is very expensive. One thing is certain when a commodity is too expensive people will certainly cut conners to get it. How many of the consumers are earning above ten thousand per month what percentage of thier income will go to PHCN. The govt should have cosidered all these b4 imposing it on the people

Stop peddling such utter tripe, this is a culture of indiscipline, period. There were different bands of charge rates presented to the public, and people were being charged according to there level of income, which I believe was estimated by how much power they consume. And based on the new rates, people seen as "poor" were actually meant to be paying LESS than what they used to pay for power before. So what are you talking about, or is there something I might be genuinely missing?

You can't be shouting that people's electricity run out and they are poor when they are trying to power a million and one appliances on standby in their homes. This should simply force people to be more energy conscious - something the rest of the world has already gotten used to a long time ago!

4 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by RichDad1(m): 12:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
Stale News.I can say it LOUD that most Estate in Lagos [Lekki,Oniru,VGC,Dolphin,Magodo,e.t.c]Indulge in this criminal act.The sad thing is that,it's still the same PHCN guys that does it for them for a fee or around 5k-10k depending your bargain.The only thing is that they dont connect it directly on the pole like the Op said.There's a way they'll BYPASS the Rechargeable meter that it won't be reading, though all the indicator light will be ON so that if the Patrol Team is around everything will appear Normal and working Perfect. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by emilyone(f): 5:19pm On Aug 16, 2012
THE TRANSFORMER IN MY AREA JUST GOT BLOWN UP DUE TO THIS ILLEGAL AND IRRATIONAL ACT
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by free2ryhme: 5:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
mesef: There's new development in Lagos since PHCN stabilized electricity...Lagosians especially around the mainland,are beginning to connect their electricity directly to the wire poles because they feel they exhaust their meter card too quickly and they do not want to buy the meter recharge cards again!!just imagine!!

Its so sad that we quick judge and chastise the govt and authorities but we forget to start the discipline from ourselves and our environs...

Old gist ... Na today e dis kind thing don dey happen ... Govt no dey owe? Abeg leave all dis yarns ... na our own share of subsidy we dey collect so ..
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by free2ryhme: 5:22pm On Aug 16, 2012
emilyone: THE TRANSFORMER IN MY AREA JUST GOT BLOWN UP DUE TO THIS ILLEGAL AND IRRATIONAL ACT

i dey sell transformer ... you go buy? grin grin grin
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by ODB2: 5:27pm On Aug 16, 2012
mesef: There's new development in Lagos since PHCN stabilized electricity...Lagosians especially around the mainland,are beginning to connect their electricity directly to the wire poles because they feel they exhaust their meter card too quickly and they do not want to buy the meter recharge cards again!!just imagine!!

I don't know why Boko-Haram won't start bombing Lagos.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by kensandrea: 5:27pm On Aug 16, 2012

[size=20pt]SO WATING HAPPEN NAH SINCE EVERYBODY CORRUPT E NO BAD MAKE WE JOIN ENJOY THE SMALL ONE WEY WE SEE LOL[/size]
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by kulutempa: 5:28pm On Aug 16, 2012
This is why some people say we deserve our leaders: Government of the thieves, by the thieves, for the thieves. The leaders practice lootocracy and the citizens practice awoofocracy. BTW I have trademarked awoofocracy and nobody should use that word without my permission.

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by joesbuba: 5:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
nigerians should learn how to pay they bills not complaining of no light
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by maasoap(m): 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2012
PHCN is as guilty as its customers who but corner. How do you justify insertion of 500 naira into our monthly bill whether we use energy in a month or not after increasing per unit charge from 7.30 to 12.30. How do you justify that? Why not raising the per unit charge above 12.30? Imagine if I lock my house for 6 months, I'll come to meet a debt of 3,000 naira without using a single unit

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 16, 2012
Una see the problem. They want 247 power supply but they are not willing to pay for it. Once again Blame GEJ
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Mavrick2012: 5:34pm On Aug 16, 2012
odumchi: That's very dangerous.

As long as the prices are reasonable, people should be willing to pay for their electricity usage.

Anyway, culture >>> politics.
wat if d prices are nt reasonable
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by sirp2007: 5:41pm On Aug 16, 2012
O_D_B:

I don't know why Boko-Haram won't start bombing Lagos.
did u mean this or u re joking ? remember two wrongs dont make one right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Southwest Support For Buhari Unshaken - TINUBU / Garba Shehu Hits David Piling Of London Financial Times / Osinbajo Making Good Progress After Surgery, Says Duchess Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.